• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Coulson Lives! (the Clark Gregg aka Phil Coulson thread)

Am I reading too much into this tweet?

I don't think you're reading too much into it. At all.

I think the "inhuman" comment, taken with the "III" planet (Earth) iconography, and the starburst in space, all point towards the Kree and Inhumans, as jaqua and others surmise. I'm not entirely sure the implication is actually that Coulson is Mar-Vell, but I'd be willing to bet anything that he's Kree and/or Inhuman, and has no knowledge of his alien past. It would explain why Fury would be so desperate to resurrect him, and could probably explain some other Coulson mysteries. Remember, SHIELD is still rumored to be using Rhomann Dey as a liaison with Nova Corps in GOTG (a pretty wild rumor; but it came from the same source that accurately leaked that John C. Reilley would be playing that role), so odds are that SHIELD and Fury have a fairly long-running association with aliens (I believe SWORD was even referenced in a recent AOS episode).

In other words, I think Coulson is Kree or Inhuman, but he might not be a canonical comic-book character; rather an original one.

They could be setting some Kree stuff up here and in Cap2 to lead into GotG as well since they'll be involved in that as well.

I'm telling you guys. Coulson is going to one way or another, end up being Captain Marvel. The writing is on the wall. There. He's basically mr marvel, everyone loves him.

Jordanstine, the poster here who was a confirmed insider, or, knew an an insider was posting his conversations with his source. His source was legit, as everything he tolf him about Avengers 1, turned out to be true. I can even dig out the post. But his source said to him, "Do you know Captain Marvel?" and Jordan was all "What? He appears in the movie?!?" his source was like.. "no", and Jordan was like "what do you mean, what happens!?" and his source was like "nevermind"

This guy is a legitimate insider. And he brought up captain marvel. There's got to be some relevance. He could have been refering to coulson's ressurection.

A few days ago, Gregg said himself that what they do will really satisfy fans. He also said there have been a bunch of rumors, "is he a robot? A life model decoy? The Vision?" The three most popular theories, he brings up as rumors. He mentions them, which means they propbably aren't the full story.

I say Mar-Vell, or Genis-Vell, or an unnamed Kree or something, maybe crashed on earth or something. And is being held, or is maybe near death, and his mind is keeping Coulson alive. Or something.
Gregg was talking about the episode satisfying fans and it seems to have done just that

What makes things tough to tease out is that, at least as I read the episode? SHIELD didn't do "a" thing to bring Coulson back from the dead. They did a *lot* of *different* things, which eventually did the job. . . with much failure and suffering and side effects in the interim. I think Fury basically cracked open the mad science closet and said "use whatever we've run across that has a chance of working".

Gah, I still can't get over how great and yet so sad Coulson's scenes were within our last episode. Talk about adding a whole new set of layers for the character who's normally known for being calm within several tense situations.

Gregg was talking about the episode satisfying fans and it seems to have done just that

I'm afraid thats a wait and see since it seems over here in the UK we won't be seeing that episode or any others for maybe a couple of months.

Is there anyone else who has watched this and can also claim to be satisfied with that episode?

By the way my understanding is the brain doesn't feel pain, no pain receptors.
It however receives pain from the bodies pain receptors.
That's right. You can poke around the brain all you want, it won't feel a thing. However everything surrounding the brain (skin, muscle, nerves, etc) will and that's where the pain comes in.

His pain would be an open skull with all that missing. And whatever else they did to his body during the previous procedures.

I'm afraid thats a wait and see since it seems over here in the UK we won't be seeing that episode or any others for maybe a couple of months.

Is there anyone else who has watched this and can also claim to be satisfied with that episode?

If you can't wait there are other means (I'm in the Uk as well, I'm an impatient bugger, so I use them, lol), and yes, I was satisfied by the episode. It doesn't reveal everything, but it sets things up so future reveals could be very interesting.

That's right. You can poke around the brain all you want, it won't feel a thing. However everything surrounding the brain (skin, muscle, nerves, etc) will and that's where the pain comes in.

His pain would be an open skull with all that missing. And whatever else they did to his body during the previous procedures.

Plus the 'can you feel that?' thing from the woman doctor when prodding him. Looks like they had him on no anaesthetic to make sure his nervous system was working right. Also while its not technically the brain feeling pain, it can feel like it is under certain conditions (migraines for example, and tumors can cause intense pain within the head due to pressure and so on). Given the 'catastrophic' damage his brain had suffered its not a leap to assume that machine's fiddling about was also causing feelings of intense agony within his mind even if it was not real pain.

Migraines are neurological, not physical (headaches aren't the same and come from pain-sensing structures around the brain like the eyes [eye strain], sinuses [blocked or sensitive mucus membranes], muscle, veins, arteries etc), and tumors press on the skull, which in turn presses on everything around that (much like a headache, which tumors sometimes can cause).

When you have a migrane it's literally in your head (which isn't to say they can't be triggered but it isn't a physical reaction like a headache). With a headache, it's not the brain that "hurts" it's the tissue surrounding it. Eye strain is one cause of headaches which I get. There's also strained muscles or awkward postures and a number of other things like infections that can cause headaches.

Much like when someone has a heart attack they don't always feel the pain in their heart but in the general chest area or their left arm, you can have a headache that feels like the brain is hurting. The heart can actually feel pain but it's so rare the brain reacts by generalizing it to the chest. With headaches and migraines it's similar in that the head or a specific part of the head hurts, including the brain.

I was a little surprised at how graphic that was. But then again that scientist lady that got crisped earlier in the season was also fairly gruesome.

Migraines are neurological, not physical (headaches aren't the same and come from pain-sensing structures around the brain like the eyes [eye strain], sinuses [blocked or sensitive mucus membranes], muscle, veins, arteries etc), and tumors press on the skull, which in turn presses on everything around that (much like a headache, which tumors sometimes can cause).

When you have a migrane it's literally in your head (which isn't to say they can't be triggered but it isn't a physical reaction like a headache). With a headache, it's not the brain that "hurts" it's the tissue surrounding it. Eye strain is one cause of headaches which I get. There's also strained muscles or awkward postures and a number of other things like infections that can cause headaches.

Much like when someone has a heart attack they don't always feel the pain in their heart but in the general chest area or their left arm, you can have a headache that feels like the brain is hurting. The heart can actually feel pain but it's so rare the brain reacts by generalizing it to the chest. With headaches and migraines it's similar in that the head or a specific part of the head hurts, including the brain.

Yup. And the doctor at the end said the 'neurological damage' to his brain was 'catastrophic'. Under those conditions him being in utter agony with that thing fiddling away on his gray matter is no big leap at all.

so, basically they turned Coulson into Frankenstein's monster...

do I smell a Howling Commando monsters, spin off

is Ward going to turn into a Werewolf next.... bring on Man-Thing

Unless Killian's Extremis could regrow his own head/brain after severe trauma...And Killian knows far more about the brain than he showed Pepper.

What if they re-grew the brain from scratch, from earlier samples, and hacked the code stored in his DNA to simply force the body to grow a new one... Then transferred consciousness back in. Did anyone else catch what Coulson first said when Raina asked about his memories, about a sports game that happened a long time ago or something?

If they can't force his brain to regenerate and regrow by hacking his genetic memory, then I have a feeling Killian can't regrow his brain either...
When Killian's head exploded, he might have had to re-grow parts of his brain, to even retain his Killian personality...Extremis might be much more complicated than we know, and the chip had to be inserted into the brain of subjects, so that Killian would be able to regrow his head and mind....

Killian knows what every area of the brain does, and is very involved with brain science by now...There are subtle hints to this in IM3.

If Coulson and Mike are supposed to be twins, and Mike is supposed to have some Extremis in him, why can't Mike just re-grow his limbs now?
Guess he doesn't have fire resistant platelets yet.
Killian could breathe fire. Rhodey was right to be alarmed. This should have burnt his cells past the ability to regenerate on their own.

Maybe Coulson and Mike are twins in the way they both have had serum and Extremis used on them...as well as either Alpha, beta, or gamma rays, And are a mixture of different "things".

Last edited:
I was a little surprised at how graphic that was. But then again that scientist lady that got crisped earlier in the season was also fairly gruesome.

Akela Amador also cut a man's hand off and in the same episode Simmons pulled out Amador's eyeball and snipped it off at the roots. AOS does not shy away from gore.

Yup. And the doctor at the end said the 'neurological damage' to his brain was 'catastrophic'. Under those conditions him being in utter agony with that thing fiddling away on his gray matter is no big leap at all.

From the way Coulson was impaled I assumed that some of that "catastrophic" neurological damage was to his spinal cord. After he slid to the floor in TA the only parts of his body he ever moved were one hand and his head. His legs stayed where they were. I inferred from that that he might have been paralyzed from the waist down after he was stabbed.

am I the only one who thinks he should have been kept dead

Yes. :dry:

Akela Amador also cut a man's hand off and in the same episode Simmons pulled out Amador's eyeball and snipped it off at the roots. AOS does not shy away from gore.

That's right, I forgot about the eyeball. brrrr!

That's right, I forgot about the eyeball. brrrr!

The morning after that show aired I had to go to my ophthalmologist to have injections in my eye. Because I am resistant to the anesthesia used I always feel the syringe going in... and coming out. Needless to say, those scenes were disturbing. When I rewatched it I skipped that part.

From the way Coulson was impaled I assumed that some of that "catastrophic" neurological damage was to his spinal cord. After he slid to the floor in TA the only parts of his body he ever moved were one hand and his head. His legs stayed where they were. I inferred from that that he might have been paralyzed from the waist down after he was stabbed.

Well, the heart is off centre in our bodies so the spearhead need not have severed his spine (they said his heart was wrecked so we know it was pierced by the thing). The Doctor could have been referring spinal damage, but given that the brain is the first thing to suffer irreparable damage after death I took his 'catastrophic' line as referring to that.

Atm, and imo I'd stress, Clark Cregg is carrying the show. He can do affable charm in his sleep and was great at showing his torment over his lost Cellist before deciding to jump in the machine, and his thinly veiled fury at the end in the last episode.

Should he have stayed dead? Well, maybe...I prefer to see what the pay off is with the eventual full reveal of what went down and why.

....Hey, where IS Blade for that matter?
Is he he under Marvel?
so, basically they turned Coulson into Frankenstein's monster...

do I smell a Howling Commando monsters, spin off

is Ward going to turn into a Werewolf next.... bring on Man-Thing

The morning after that show aired I had to go to my ophthalmologist to have injections in my eye. Because I am resistant to the anesthesia used I always feel the syringe going in... and coming out. Needless to say, those scenes were disturbing. When I rewatched it I skipped that part.

I'm glad I was born with indestructible adamantium eyeballs because AAAAUUUUGGHHHH!

....Hey, where IS Blade for that matter?
Is he he under Marvel?

He is indeed.

Marvel Studios Once Again Controls Rights to ‘Ghost Rider’ and ‘Blade’

Screen Rant has posted some speculation about Coulson's resurrection and the real reason behind it that will warm the hearts of Captain Marvel fans (esp. jaqua).

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: What’s Special About Agent Coulson?

The Inhumans have been widely talked about by Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige as a hot property they want to explore, and we believe it could make for an interesting followup to Guardians of the Galaxy, another possible source of an Infinity Stone, and a potential tie-in for characters like Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver who have superpowers with unknown origins (at this point). With Twentieth Century Fox owning the film rights to all things mutant-related from Marvel Comics, The Inhumans can serve as their workaround to explain Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. In fact, for Agents of SHIELD, Marvel secured the trademark “Registered Gifted” to label people with special abilities. And although that hasn’t reared its head too much yet in the show (outside of Scorch in Episode 5), with most of the powered antagonists finding their origins in Extremis/Centipede tech, it will eventually.

What does this all have to do with Coulson? Outside of the playful tweet above by Clark Gregg (direct reference to The Inhumans or misdirection?), back in the day when the Skrulls and the Kree were rumored aliens to appear in The Avengers, we heard rumors that Coulson may not be all that he appears to be. We even heard he might have Kree connections/origins, and when we asked someone at Marvel, they asked where we heard that, playing coy. Take that for what you will. While the Skrull (enemies of the Kree) rights are confusing and sort of shared between Fox and Marvel, the Kree rights haven’t been officially confirmed either way. With key Kree character Ronan the Accuser appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy, however, there’s a good chance his people will play a part as well. If they do, that will undoubtedly service the background story behind any film based on The Inhumans, should one exist one day.

Agents of SHIELD: 10 Theories For How Coulson Returned From The Dead

He's Captain Mar-Vell

There were a few rumors long before The Avengers hit theaters that there was more to Coulson than what meets the eye. Back in the days when reports had the Skrulls and Kree in The Avengers, some unsubstantiated whispers had Coulson possibly being an alien who worked for SHIELD as a liaison between Earth and whatever aliens are out there that we're going to meet in Guardians of the Galaxy.

We even asked if Couslon was not exactly human to a Marvel insider long ago who was taken aback and asked us where we heard that...

Mar-Vell was sent to Earth to spy on humans for the Kree and while this theory is a stretch upon a stretch, Coulson being an alien agent does explain his overly calm demeanor and kick-ass abilities from Marvel One-Shot titled A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer.

Verdict: There's definitely something different about Coulson.

FuCcJ6s.jpg

This writer is an independent source for the "Coulson-is-Mar-Vell" rumor and a Marvel rep's reaction to it. (Please be true! Please be true! Please be true!) Ahem. Anyhow, it's a very intriguing possibility, though if Coulson is alien or part alien it seems likelier that he would be another Kree, one less well-known or created for the show. Way back when some of us speculated that "Phillip Coulson" is a similar name to "Walter Lawson," Mar-Vell's alter ego when he was spying on NASA. (It really isn't but logic never gets in the way of good spec.) Someone said that maybe Phil is Mar-Vell's son. Coulson, Son of Coul, Son of the Kree? :hmm

Fans are nuts some times. :lmao:

I'm cool with Coulson being a super or alien, but he doesn't know it. But I'm equally fine with him just being good old Phil.

It seems in the last episode he's clearly upset about his parents deaths, so if Phil was just a undercover alien that wouldn't make much sense and/or he wouldn't have actually experienced those things. Unless he was an alien born baby that was then adopted and never told?

Holy ****!! Coulson is SuperMan!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"