Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness general news and discussion thread

The cinematography definitely looks like its lacking quite a bit and it really just looks like another bland, grey MCU flick, but I am still pretty excited for this movie nonetheless.

Seeing this for the first time with a sold-out crowd during NWH on opening night was really something special and I'm already loving the darker/horror elements they seem to be hinting at.

I just want them to let Raimi go off the leash a little with this one and make it as scary as possible. I know I'm probably expecting too much at this point, but man does this have a lot of potential.

I really liked that teaser, surprised so many people were disappointed. I liked the atmosphere, the music, and the visuals. Can kinda see Raimi’s touch in there. I was very nervous watching it though because I still haven’t seen No Way Home and I was worried about spoilers but thankfully it was spoiler free.

I think it's the usual misdirection Marvel uses in the trailers. I believe the real Villain is
Wanda being consumed by the darkhold while searching for his children in the Multiverse.

No! Wanda can NEVER be the villain! Not even when she kidnaps and enslaves thousands of people!

After NWH, it is now obligatory for all MCU solo movies to feature 3 different versions of the main protagonist.
Seems that way. The thing here is that it’s not like Spider-Man:NWH with 3 different actors portraying different variations on the same character, here seems to be BC portraying 3 different versions of himself.

Last edited:
Well Christine got a costume upgrade! It looks similar to Rogue's costume in Dofp.

The cinematography definitely looks like its lacking quite a bit and it really just looks like another bland, grey MCU flick, but I am still pretty excited for this movie nonetheless.

Seeing this for the first time with a sold-out crowd during NWH on opening night was really something special and I'm already loving the darker/horror elements they seem to be hinting at.

I just want them to let Raimi go off the leash a little with this one and make it as scary as possible. I know I'm probably expecting too much at this point, but man does this have a lot of potential.

I mean, I definitely thought that kind of at first, until I saw this tweet comparing MoM’s and IW’s cinematography:

I mean, it’s not the most amazing thing ever, but the difference in quality kind of speaks for itself. It’s the difference between “filmmaker with a vision” and “in-house style”.

This movie had me the most excited when early phase 4 was introduced. I am expecting to to really set up the rest of the MCU phases. They have so much time between the release so I am expecting some Super Bowl spot and trailer. Hoping for a similar run time as Spider-Man or maybe 2hr 35 min range.

The color-grading difference is substantial.

Also, the subtle camera movement (right to left, closing in) and the purposeful framing. It just makes the shots and everything look and feel much more alive, real, weighty and present. It looks like they actually filmed there. In the IW shot, everything just looks lifeless, fake, floaty and static, like it was filmed by some workman with a basic knowledge of cinematography on a green screen, and live action background plates were inserted and enhanced with CG effects, smoke, debris, cars, etc. It feels like an in-house “style”.

Also hope we’ll probably get some really old fashioned, traditional, crazy Raimi moments in this. I mean, just imagine if we got something akin to the cabin scene where all the inanimate objects come alive, the ‘floating’ camera that chases Ash, getting possessed by an evil spirit, Ash getting his face warped by the Book after almost getting sucked in, Bad Ash engaging in Three Stooges type antics with Ash while growing/splitting from Ashes body, etc. Just picture all of that stuff with either Strange or Wanda.

The color grading doesn't bother me. Former Collider Host Christian Harloff said once, the MCU is like a TV show with Kevin Feige as the show-runner. And with regular TV shows, they have a writer or writers for that episode and directors who change week to week, so we don't expect the color grading to be different from episode to episode of a regular TV show. If you watch a regular TV show, you will notice the color grade being the same in every episode as it's not like one week it's all bright and shiny and the next it's dark and gloomy in regards to color.

The color grading doesn't bother me. Former Collider Host Christian Harloff said once, the MCU is like a TV show with Kevin Feige as the show-runner. And with regular TV shows, they have a writer or writers for that episode and directors who change week to week, so we don't expect the color grading to be different from episode to episode of a regular TV show. If you watch a regular TV show, you will notice the color grade being the same in every episode as it's not like one week it's all bright and shiny and the next it's dark and gloomy in regards to color.
That sentiment is fine and would hold water if we didn’t have Disney+ plus shows that look better than the actual movies.

I repeat, the MCU films (for the most part), nearly $200 million projects being shown on big theater screens, look worse than their TV/streaming counterparts.

There’s no excuse for this.

The only thing that may lack in the entire MCU cinematography is contrast. Black is almost never black, but dark grey. Other than that, which could be a genuine criticism, most of the films look great to me.

As much as I really like, even love, a lot of the MCU films, it got to a certain point where, after seeing it pointed out so much, I just started getting really tired of seeing the same, flat look. They have a ton of money to invest in sets, great cinematographers, great color graders, etc., but they just never did, Thankfully, with this new phase, they definitely seem to be rectifying that and allowing the films to stand apart visually from each other a bit more.

And thank god Sam Raimi, someone with a lot of experience, clout and his own visual style, is directing this. In anyone else’s hands, I guarantee you this would not look anywhere near as good.

That sentiment is fine and would hold water if we didn’t have Disney+ plus shows that look better than the actual movies.

I repeat, the MCU films (for the most part), nearly $200 million projects being shown on big theater screens, look worse than their TV/streaming counterparts.

There’s no excuse for this.

As much as I really like, even love, a lot of the MCU films, it got to a certain point where, after seeing it pointed out so much, I just started getting really tired of seeing the same, flat look. They have a ton of money to invest in sets, great cinematographers, great color graders, etc., but they just never did, Thankfully, with this new phase, they definitely seem to be rectifying that and allowing the films to stand apart visually from each other a bit more.

And thank god Sam Raimi, someone with a lot of experience, clout and his own visual style, is directing this. In anyone else’s hands, I guarantee you this would not look anywhere near as good.

He said that before Disney+ back when Collider was relevant.

I think it's the usual misdirection Marvel uses in the trailers. I believe the real Villain is
Wanda being consumed by the darkhold while searching for his children in the Multiverse.

Yeah there are plot leaks out there that speak to this.

there's multiple plot leaks out there loosely based around this. Not all are verified, but one or two were confirmed by the trailer. One of which also predicted stuff about Spiderman.

SO, those who are interested in what those were about..

According to the leaks, Wanda IS the villain. There's a few different Wanda's. That Shuma Gorath Demon is actually Gargantuan. The film is essentially a Chase of Strange and Chavez by Wanda through out the multiverse who wants the Dark hold Back. She ecounters the Illumini, which includes Professor X, who she murders. Wanda is possessed by the REAL Shuma Gorath. The strange variants are minimally relevant to the plot.

This essentially is a Wanda movie as much as it is a Strange movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"