Dune

I dunno, I hate the sequel novels, and I don't really want to see them as films, and I don't think they'd play very well as movies.

I so much want to see Dune remade. I honeslty just did not like the last film. The trailer was cool but I dunno...it was too bland.

Variety confirmed today that Berg's on the film - surprisingly not writing.

Article

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117982560.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
Berg to direct 'Dune' for Paramount
Misher producing adaptation of sci-fi novel
By TATIANA SIEGEL

Berg

Misher

Peter Berg is attached to direct a bigscreen adaptation of Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel "Dune" for Paramount Pictures.
Kevin Misher, who spent the past year obtaining the book rights from the Herbert estate, will produce via his Par-based shingle.

Herbert's 1965 novel is a sweeping, futuristic tale set on the remote desert planet Arrakis, which produces the interstellar empire's sole source of the spice Melange -- used for distant space travel. An empirewide power struggle ensues over the control of the spice. Berg would be the latest helmer to take a crack at the property, which spawned a 1984 David Lynch film as well as a 2000 Sci Fi Channel miniseries starring William Hurt.

The project is out to writers, with the producers looking for a faithful adaptation of the Hugo- and Nebula Award-winning book. The filmmakers consider its theme of finite ecological resources particularly timely.

New Amsterdam's Richard Rubenstein, who produced Sci Fi's "Dune" and sequel "Children of Dune," is also producing alongside Sarah Aubrey of Film 44, Berg's production banner. John Harrison and Mike Messina exec produce.

Paramount envisions the project as a tentpole film.

Berg and Misher enjoy strong ties dating back to Misher's executive days at Universal Pictures. Misher also produced Berg's second directorial outing, "The Rundown."
Actor-turned-helmer Berg most recently directed the upcoming Will Smith starrer "Hancock." His directing credits include "The Kingdom" and "Friday Night Lights."

I wonder who they'll hire to adapt the novel. Maybe J. Michael Straczynski?

It's a tough novel to adapt. If they accomplish it, it'll be great.

Brian Herbert and Kevin Andersen will be producers...
http://dunenovels.com/blog/page031.html
New Dune Film from Paramount

We've been working on this for years, and we can finally make the proper announcement. Brian Herbert and I will be official co-producers on the film.

-- KJA

IMO that's good news.

I am cautiously excited, or happily worried, about one of my most beloved books being adapted after one failed and one modestly successful attempt. I just hope Kevin Anderson and Brian Herbert aren't writing the movie, just producing it, or we'll end up with Dune: the Phantom Menace.

The posters who suggested Liam Neeson for Duke Leto read my mind. My other casting choices:

Lady Jessica: Naomi Watts
Paul: a newbie, but you need someone with Shakespearian experience
Duncan Idaho: Christian Bale or Hugh Jackman
Gurney: Terence Stamp
Stilgar: Don Cheadle
Thufir: Ben Kingsley
Dr. Yueh: Colin Firth
The Baron: Brian Cox
Feyd: Orlando Bloom
Irulan: Natalie Portman
Chani: Ellen Page
Mapes: Judi Dench
Shaddam: Ian McKellan
Otheym: Dwayne "Rock" Johnson
Fenring: Kyle McLachlan (a nod to the Lynch film)
Rev. Mother Ramallo: Francesca Annis
Rev. Mother Mohiam: Alice Krige
Lady Fenring: Saskia Reeves

I am cautiously excited, or happily worried, about one of my most beloved books being adapted after one failed and one modestly successful attempt. I just hope Kevin Anderson and Brian Herbert aren't writing the movie, just producing it, or we'll end up with Dune: the Phantom Menace.

The posters who suggested Liam Neeson for Duke Leto read my mind. My other casting choices:

Paul: a newbie, but you need someone with Shakespearian experience
Duncan Idaho: Christian Bale or Hugh Jackman
Gurney: Terence Stamp
Stilgar: Don Cheadle
Thufir: Ben Kingsley
Dr. Yueh: Colin Firth
The Baron: Brian Cox
Feyd: Orlando Bloom
Irulan: Natalie Portman
Chani: Ellen Page
Mapes: Judi Dench
Shaddam: Ian McKellan
Otheym: Dwayne "Rock" Johnson
Fenring: Kyle McLachlan (a nod to the Lynch film)
Rev. Mother Ramallo: Francesca Annis
Rev. Mother Mohiam: Alice Krige
Lady Fenring: Saskia Reeves

I just don't think we'd ever receive that well known of a cast.

I just don't think we'd ever receive that well known of a cast.

LOL I know, but in the spirit of these boards I figured I'd shoot for the moon. Although a lot of these actors aren't that hard to get.

Id love to see the Baron played by Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Id love to see the Baron played by Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Interesting choice. Although PSH has already played a couple of flouncing gay guys, it might reflect badly on the Baron character.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ib5821482a13c514f039d71f904034881
Josh Zetumer in talks for 'Dune'
Would pen adaptation of the award-winning 1965 novel
By Jay A. Fernandez
June 6, 2008, 01:00 AM

"Dune" (1984)
We have wormsign.

Josh Zetumer is in negotiations to pen the latest incarnation of "Dune," Frank Herbert's sprawling sci-fi epic, for Paramount Pictures.

The award-winning 1965 novel -- the first in a series of six books about a futuristic struggle for control of a precious spice called Melange on the desert planet Arrakis -- was first adapted by David Lynch into a financially and critically disastrous 1984 film (though Herbert apparently liked it). It also was turned into a more successful Sci Fi Channel miniseries in 2000.

Kevin Misher is producing the new version through his Paramount-based Misher Films. Herbert's son Brian and Kevin J. Anderson, who have co-written several additional "Dune" novels, will co-produce. Peter Berg is attached to direct.

New Amsterdam Entertainment's Richard Rubenstein and is also producing with Sarah Aubrey of Berg's Film 44 shingle. John Harrison and Mike Messina will executive produce.

The "Dune" property, one of the best-selling science fiction series of all time, has spawned an enormous and devoted fan base and could provide a lucrative new franchise for Paramount. The studio is running hot off its blockbuster launch of "Iron Man" and its resurrection of the "Indiana Jones" juggernaut.

No one involved would comment on Zetumer's take on the "Dune" saga. The writer, repped by UTA and Management 360, also has "Villain" at 2929 Prods. and "The Infiltrator" set up at Warner Bros. He most recently did production work on the next Bond film, "Quantum of Solace."

http://io9.com/5220753/dune-remake-could-be-greenlit-soon
Dune Remake Could Be Greenlit Soon
By Meredith Woerner, 8:00 AM on Tue Apr 21 2009, 16,217 views
The most highly anticipated remake may be Peter Berg's Dune movie. We got a chance to ask producer Kevin Misher about the status of Dune and inquire, will the blue eyes remain intact?

I hear you are working on Dune with director Peter Berg, why did you want to get involved with that?

It's one of my favorite books of all time, and I made a movie with Pete called The Rundown, which people seemed to like a little bit, so we decided to get back together. Pete had loved the book as well. It's a great opportunity for us.

So is this a reboot with better FX, or a remake? Or what?

Reboot, let's call it a reboot.

Are they still going to have the blue spice-eye?

Yes, of course. Spice is part of the book.

Where are you guys right now in the process?

We're working on the script right now. We're going to turn it in shortly. The script is coming in, we're hoping to get a green light shortly.

So it sounds like all systems are still go on Dune, and the producers may be ready to start talking about locations, cast and budget in the near future. I have extremely high hopes for Peter Berg, and feel like this could be the epic tale that'll set him apart. Or it could be a cult classic but critically panned Chronicles of Riddick disaster. Fingers crossed for the former.

I hope they distance themselves from the Lynchian Horror designs. The book is not like the movie. More aristocratic, medieval or renaissance.

That interviewer was quite stupid.

Robert Pattison is one of those new Hollywood faces that really bugs me. I would hate if he's Paul, but it would put asses in the seats.

I dunno. I'd like to see a Dune movie that's like the sci-fi miniseries except with a bigger budget.

Lynch did some cool stuff with the movie, but parts of it are just awkward and ridiculous.

I'm just not sure if Dune can be accessible to mainstream audiences without it being dumbed down a lot.

I thought Kenneth McMillan was a great baron Harkonnen. The rest of the movie not so great. There certainly is room to improve.

Paul Atretes: Emile Hirsch
Duke Atretes: Liam Neeson
Gurney: Harvey Keitel
Duncan Idaho: Clive Owen
Baron Harkonnen: John Goodman

Can't think of any other castings ATM. I'll have to read it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"