• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Dune

You can't put Tarsem with all his wannabe pop art crap and put have him do Dune which would be a huge freaking undertaking. I don't see why a studio would trust him with it.

I don't see what your problem is, Tarsem's work is amazing. The Fall was gorgeous.

Hope Berg still gets the film done. I have a lot of respect for him as a tv director and hope he can shake off the bad press over Hancock

Berg is no longer attached.

From Variety:
Morel Climbs Aboard "Dune"

Mike Fleming said:
Paramount Pictures has set Pierre Morel to direct “Dune,” the adaptation of Frank Herbert’s 1965 sci-fi classic novel.

Morel, who last directed the action hit “Taken,” has signed a deal with the studio and will work toward getting the script right. Pic is one of the biggest priorities on the slate of Par Motion Picture Group prexy Adam Goodman.

Kevin Misher’s Misher Films will produce with New Amsterdam’s Richard Rubenstein, who produced the telepic “Dune” and the sequel “Children of Dune.”

Pic had been developed by Peter Berg, who exited when he committed to Universal’s “Battleship,” based on the Hasbro naval combat board game. Universal set a July 1, 2011 release for that film and committed to follow with Berg’s passion project, the Afghan was drama “Lone Survivor.” Those back-to-back directing gigs will keep Berg busy for at least two years.

Berg developed a “Dune” draft with Josh Zetumer, the script who separately has been scripting the fourth installment of “The Bourne Identity” for Universal. Paramount will work off Zetumer’s draft, but the studio will secure another writer shortly.

“Dune” was first turned into a film by David Lynch, whose 1984 effort was not a financial success. Herbert’s novel—about an intergalactic struggle to control the supply of a valuable spice found only on the remote desert planet Arrakis—remains the biggest selling sci fi novel and it’s still enormously popular. Morel, for instance, is a long time fan who brought his well-worn copy of the novel with him to meetings at Paramount, sources said.

The studio will begin doing R&D work on a picture that promises to be pricey.

Deal makes “Dune” a candidate to be the next directing assignment for Morel, who is also in early stage development on a sequel to “Taken.” He is also developing “Pursuit,” an action thriller at Universal based on the exploits of conflict photographer Jason Howe. Howe fell in love with a woman while on assignment in Colombia, only to discover she was an assassin. Morel most recently wrapped the John Travolta-starrer “From Paris with Love.” He is repped by WME and Artist Talent Management.

I'm mixed. I hope this doesn't mean Morrel will do $200 mill blockbusters for the rest of his life, he's too awesome for that.

I don't see the need for a new Dune movie when the one SCI-FI did was perfect even the sequel was perfect.

Interesting choice...I was kinda expecting Marshall to get it so Im pleasantly suprised.

I don't think Morel is a good choice for Dune nor was Berg.

I wish Jodorwsky was able to make his Dune movie now that would have been interesting.

I don't know a lot about Pierre Morel, but on the positive side we're a little closer to getting Liam Neeson as Duke Leto. :awesome:

I don't think Morel is a good choice for Dune nor was Berg.

I wish Jodorwsky was able to make his Dune movie now that would have been interesting.

Have you read EMPIRE magazine's article on this topic ?

As for the article , i don't understand why they don't shoot the pic against a blue screen. It reduces the cost greatly.

Omg, the art work from the Jodowsky version was out of this world awesome.

From IGN:
Dune's New Messiah
Scott Collura said:
"We're starting from scratch," says Morel. "Peter had an approach which was not mine at all, and we're starting over again. I don't think we're going to keep any elements of the Peter Berg script. It was good, actually. It was interesting. It was just not our vision. I can't tell you right now [who's writing it with me], it's going to be official next week. The deals are not done!"

The helmer does confirm that right now and for the next couple of months he will be focusing on developing Dune, and that he and his mystery scribes will start writing the screenplay in early February. Still, he seems cautious when talking about it -- as if he doesn't want to jinx his good fortune of landing the project.

From /film:
Pierre Morel Reveals Dune Plans - He Wants 3D

OT, but i just viewed a couple of fan edits of the 84 dune.

Third Stage Re-Edit: fab, took most of the old footage, cleaned up the sound and image, reintegrated it, and removed the extended edition idiocy

Spicediver Re-Edit: much like the Third Stage Re-Edit. But retained the extended edition idiocy, while re-integrating the old footage. Not cleaned up in any way shape or form. This edit is however my favorite

as far as a new movie: I'd much rather them gather the old cast from the 84 movie, and push a Messiah and Children of Dune sequels. Just stretch the time line out an extra couple of years.

Have you read EMPIRE magazine's article on this topic ?

As for the article , i don't understand why they don't shoot the pic against a blue screen. It reduces the cost greatly.
i already see people on the internet complaining. from the prequels on everything that is green or bluescreen is bad now. everything needs to be build for real. even if it looks like a fake set with fake lighting. as long as it is real.

it's not that it's bad, it's that there is always a lack of depth with green screen. I point to the prequels. Also, unless there's extra effort being put down, the backgrounds tend to be somewhat isolated and deserted.

Mind you, Avatar changed that.

it's not that it's bad, it's that there is always a lack of depth with green screen. I point to the prequels. Also, unless there's extra effort being put down, the backgrounds tend to be somewhat isolated and deserted.

Mind you, Avatar changed that.
Avatar didnt invent the wheel. bluescreen and greenscreen has been used for years now.look how much bluescreen has been used on Zodiac. :cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"