Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Bro, this is very nitpicky and just arguing semantics. I don't think your argument is valid at all

Your only argument is “I believe that Variety never makes a mistake therefore the other guy’s assumption has to be impossible” which actually isn’t valid - at all - since it’s based on the assumption that a non-insider source (for clarity: actor, studio, writer, director, executive , etc) is infallible (which as I have shown, is not the case at all).

As said, it’s all predicated on what was actually in the press release vs research. Until then, either one of you can be right or wrong.

Basically your argument: “Variety is infallible.”

Adding:

one can point to rumors and say “it was an educated guess,” but unless it was specifically stated in the press release - the notion of a trade jumping the gun and getting the information wrong isn’t unheard of, especially when it’s happened recently. No trade is “infallible,” no source is nor should be viewed as such; that and that alone is what I called you out on (note how since the beginning I never took your or Willie’s side - I purposefully was and still am neutral).

Unless you actually want to further your initial argument that (gist, not exact words) “Variety said it, therefore it must be correct since they always are”?

Last edited:
Your only argument is “I believe that Variety never makes a mistake therefore the other guy’s assumption has to be impossible” which actually isn’t valid - at all - since it’s based on the assumption that a non-insider source (for clarity: actor, studio, writer, director, executive , etc) is infallible (which as I have shown, is not the case at all).

As said, it’s all predicated on what was actually in the press release vs research. Until then, either one of you can be right or wrong.

Basically your argument: “Variety is infallible.”

Adding:

one can point to rumors and say “it was an educated guess,” but unless it was specifically stated in the press release - the notion of a trade jumping the gun and getting the information wrong isn’t unheard of, especially when it’s happened recently. No trade is “infallible,” no source is nor should be viewed as such; that and that alone is what I called you out on (note how since the beginning I never took your or Willie’s side - I purposefully was and still am neutral).

Unless you actually want to further your initial argument that (gist, not exact words) “Variety said it, therefore it must be correct since they always are”?

Variety's track record is very high. Unlike the scoopers and such cause they actually do real journalism. No one is ever 100%, but the info about a female Surfer has been around for a while, and Variety doesn't jump on these unless there is smoke. So if my 2 options are believe Variety or the speculation of people on this board who have no connections to the industry, I will side with what Variety says everytime when it comes to reports such as casting and such

Variety's track record is very high. Unlike the scoopers and such cause they actually do real journalism. No one is ever 100%, but the info about a female Surfer has been around for a while, and Variety doesn't jump on these unless there is smoke. So if my 2 options are believe Variety or the speculation of people on this board who have no connections to the industry, I will side with what Variety says everytime.

I side with - waiting until there are actually public press releases as it is all guess work until then. ESPECIALLY on big budget films where everyone involved sign non disclosure agreements and even then many working on it aren’t privy to all of the information for the film.

Until then, anything is possible and nothing is impossible.

I don’t believe in holding guess work as infallible (especially when said source has recently been wrong before). As said, to me - it all comes down to what was actually in the press release.

But I’m just old fashioned that way. This age of everyone instantly believing what they read from any source no questions asked - that’s uncomfortable.

I side with - waiting until there are actually public press releases as it is all guess work until then. ESPECIALLY on big budget films where everyone involved sign non disclosure agreements and even then many working on it aren’t privy to all of the information for the film.

Until then, anything is possible and nothing is impossible.

I don’t believe in holding guess work as infallible (especially when said source has recently been wrong before). As said, to me - it all comes down to what was actually in the press release.

But I’m just old fashioned that way. This age of everyone instantly believing what they read from any source - that’s uncomfortable.

Often times the studios are communicating through Variety. The sources being the Producers and such. Hence why they were Pro-Producers during the strike (which was bad but not really what we are discussing here). But if you don't want to buy the word of the most trusted Hollywood outlet in the industry for basically ever, that's up to you amigo. You do you

Often times the studios are communicating through Variety. The sources being the Producers and such. Hence why they were Pro-Producers during the strike (which was bad but not really what we are discussing here). But if you don't want to buy the word of the most trusted Hollywood outlet in the industry for basically ever, that's up to you amigo. You do you

Dude, I work in the industry - I know how highly regarded Variety is. I’ve had to sign one of these agreements before and even on a significantly lower level, even I was too timid to say anything about a film I wrote. Taking chances isn’t something most want to risk playing around with (to laughable levels),

I also know Variety and Hollywood Reporter aren’t infallible. No source is nor should be treated as such.

If you want to hold sources as infallible, no questions asked - you do you. To me, people increasingly leaning towards that is - uncomfortable. As said, I’m old fashioned and wish more people were in that regard.

Dude, I work in the industry - I know how highly regarded Variety is.

I also know Variety and Hollywood Reporter aren’t infallible. No source is nor should be treated as such.

If you want to hold sources as infallible, no questions asked - you do you. To me, people increasingly leaning towards that is - uncomfortable. As said, I’m old fashioned and wish more people were in that regard.

No offense, but I am skeptical of anyone on here who claims to be in the industry. So if you're actually on the industry I don't want you to take offense, but I have had so many people make that false claim so I ultimately don't buy it cause anyone can say they're anything on the internet without proof.

And I didn't say that they're infallible. But their track record is very high, so I am much more willing to place a bet that they're information is correct than I am to not. Odds of probability matter.

No offense, but I am skeptical of anyone on here who claims to be in the industry. So if you're actually on the industry I don't want you to take offense, but I have had so many people make that false claim so I ultimately don't buy it cause anyone can say they're anything on the internet without proof.

And I didn't say that they're infallible. But their track record is very high, so I am much more willing to place a bet that they're information is correct than I am to not. Odds of probability matter.

I will say the second paragraph is much better than original posts initially came off.

As said, only thing that got me to respond is - as said - it makes me uncomfortable upon seeing people treating sources as infallible especially in this day and age (when people should ideally be raising more questions than not in everything they read).

Per the first, it doesn’t matter to me who believes me or not. Nor will I claim to be anywhere near high up, very significantly far from it. While professional, still among the bottom rung or at least in comparison to where I want to be. I think this self-deprecation is what may help to illuminate difference and PM (state this in my bio, anyone looking for connections or help to get at least a possible semi leg up is free to reach out).

There is a difference in arguing something that's opinion based, ie was this movie good or was the actor's performance good. That's not what's going on here. What's going on is trying to apply semantical arguments to a pretty basic news report.

There’s also a difference between saying “Hmmm, this is interesting” and “arguing”.

I’m more interested in the former and have little interest in the latter, but I tend to feel it’s rude to simply ignore a direct reply.

I’ll try to do that more going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"