Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Well, I'm really pleased that this thing is finally taking shape.

I'm actually okay with most of the cast: just some mild misgivings about Joseph Quinn as The Human Torch (mostly because I just feel that Chris Evans set the bar super high). And contrary to the voiced concerns of our fellow fans, I believe casting Pedro Pascal as Reed Richards was a stroke of genius. He's a brilliant actor who has the chops to help carry this franchise. Similarly, I have zero concerns about Vanessa Kirby and Ebon Moss-Bachrach--both are solid Academy Award/ Emmy-level talents. As someone who enjoyed WandaVision's quirky, 1950's> 1960's >1970's > 1980's > 1990's >Modern Day storyline trip, I'm pretty confident that Matt Shakman has a strong point of view. Whatever actors they cast as the villains--whether it's Dr. Doom, Galactus, or a combination of rogues--will need to be forces of nature to balance out the charisma of this new cast.

My jury is out on H.E.R.B.I.E.--as long as it doesn't go Jar-Jar Binks stupid, I hope we'll be fine with that addition.

The above said...I'm nowhere near inclined to create another "50 Things This Movie Is Getting Right" hype thread like I used to do on this site 21 years (!!!) ago. Too much PTSD! In my opinion, Fox truly damaged this franchise--they were so reckless with this property. And Marvel Studios got a little punch drunk on its own success: subsequently their quality has slipped over the last 2 years. All of this adds up for The Fantastic Four in 2025. The damage to the property's legacy is far from irreparable, but this new film is definitely facing strong headwinds as it strives to change the public's perception of the brand.

However, the difference between FOX and Marvel Studios is that I believe the folks behind the latter do genuinely care about making the Fantastic Four the new flagship of the MCU. They have one shot at getting this right--like, seriously, one chance. And if this casting process and marketing roll-out is any indication of what's to come, I'm feeling rather encouraged.

Oh, and hello to everyone here. :woo: I've missed you guys.

Hey! Here’s a blast from the past.:bigeyes:

Are you going to hang out or just hit and run?

Well, I'm really pleased that this thing is finally taking shape.

I'm actually okay with most of the cast: just some mild misgivings about Joseph Quinn as The Human Torch (mostly because I just feel that Chris Evans set the bar super high). And contrary to the voiced concerns of our fellow fans, I believe casting Pedro Pascal as Reed Richards was a stroke of genius. He's a brilliant actor who has the chops to help carry this franchise. Similarly, I have zero concerns about Vanessa Kirby and Ebon Moss-Bachrach--both are solid Academy Award/ Emmy-level talents. As someone who enjoyed WandaVision's quirky, 1950's> 1960's >1970's > 1980's > 1990's >Modern Day storyline trip, I'm pretty confident that Matt Shakman has a strong point of view. Whatever actors they cast as the villains--whether it's Dr. Doom, Galactus, or a combination of rogues--will need to be forces of nature to balance out the charisma of this new cast.

My jury is out on H.E.R.B.I.E.--as long as it doesn't go Jar-Jar Binks stupid, I hope we'll be fine with that addition.

The above said...I'm nowhere near inclined to create another "50 Things This Movie Is Getting Right" hype thread like I used to do on this site 21 years (!!!) ago. Too much PTSD! In my opinion, Fox truly damaged this franchise--they were so reckless with this property. And Marvel Studios got a little punch drunk on its own success: subsequently their quality has slipped over the last 2 years. All of this adds up for The Fantastic Four in 2025. The damage to the property's legacy is far from irreparable, but this new film is definitely facing strong headwinds as it strives to change the public's perception of the brand.

However, the difference between FOX and Marvel Studios is that I believe the folks behind the latter do genuinely care about making the Fantastic Four the new flagship of the MCU. They have one shot at getting this right--like, seriously, one chance. And if this casting process and marketing roll-out is any indication of what's to come, I'm feeling rather encouraged.

Oh, and hello to everyone here. :woo: I've missed you guys.

Wow!!! It is SOOOOO good to hear from you again LS....you have been missed and what a good time to rejoin the fandom....

👍

Now that we have a cast, I’m hoping for a reasonably steady flow of news for the next year and a half+.
Exactly! I hope next is the supporting characters, and of course the villains...I do wonder if Doom does make debut in the mid/post credits, I assume it will be a stand in since would Marvel want to announce who is playing him just yet to keep it a secret???

Exactly! I hope next is the supporting characters, and of course the villains...I do wonder if Doom does make debut in the mid/post credits, I assume it will be a stand in since would Marvel want to announce who is playing him just yet to keep it a secret???
I think it's a 100% given that Doctor Doom will make a major mid-credit scene appearance in The Fantastic Four. There are a number of reasons for this:

1.) Star Power: When you look at the level of talented actors that Marvel has already cast for this movie (coupled with the consistent rumors that Javier Bardem--another Academy Award winning actor--is in final talks for the role of Galactus), they aren't going to waste this opportunity to "put the cherry on top" with another big-name appearance. We have to remember that this is also about driving ticket sales up--they need butts in seats until the very end. People will stay in place to see anything and everything they can about Doctor Doom on screen.

2.) Storyline: Considering what's happened with the Kang Dynasty storyline, and the concept's alleged subsequent shelving by Marvel, an appearance in The Fantastic Four will be a prime opportunity to pivot and set Dr. Doom up as the next big baddie--not only for Secret Wars, but also possibly for the next FF sequel.

3.) Timing: Pursuant to my No. 2 point above, they will need to weave Dr. Doom into several storylines from other MCU films if he's going to have Thanos-level impacts in Secret Wars. That's also why I think he might appear in a mid-credits scene long before this film comes out. It's very possible that the storyline shift away from Kang may be what's driving all of the reshoots for Cap 4. Thunderbolts might also allude to Doom somehow.

Does anyone here know much about San Diego Comic Con?

Do we know if Marvel will do a big presentation this year?

Do you need special tickets to get into the big events, or do you just need to get there early and claim a seat?

If you need special tickets, how do you get them?

I’m toying with the idea of giving it a try (though realistically, sitting on a plane for 6 + 6 hours will probably be enough of a disincentive to discourage me).

Does anyone here know much about San Diego Comic Con?

Do we know if Marvel will do a big presentation this year?

Do you need special tickets to get into the big events, or do you just need to get there early and claim a seat?

If you need special tickets, how do you get them?

I’m toying with the idea of giving it a try (though realistically, sitting on a plane for 6 + 6 hours will probably be enough of a disincentive to discourage me).
Unfortunately badges for this year are already sold out. They usually go on sale in the fall of the previous year. :csad:

It wasn't always like this though but I think it was 2007/2008 that it started becoming a rat race. I remember when I attempted to buy tickets back then and the website would constantly crash.

Unfortunately badges for this year are already sold out. They usually go on sale in the fall of the previous year. :csad:

It wasn't always like this though but I think it was 2007/2008 that it started becoming a rat race. I remember when I attempted to buy tickets back then and the website would constantly crash.
Thanks! That at least makes the decision easy for me.:rofl:

Ryan Gosling has been cast in the MCU and many people believe it is as Doom for some reason….

Personally I think he will be Ghost Rider or a other hero

Silver Surfer? Black Bolt?

I could see him as one of those two, but odds are he's a character that isn’t directly related to FF.

Maybe even a rebooted Steve Rogers or Tony Stark.

Ryan Gosling has been cast in the MCU and many people believe it is as Doom for some reason….

Personally I think he will be Ghost Rider or a other hero
From MyTimeToShine, though. I immediately press X to doubt.

It could be true, but that scooper's track record isn't exactly great.

I think it's a 100% given that Doctor Doom will make a major mid-credit scene appearance in The Fantastic Four. There are a number of reasons for this:

1.) Star Power: When you look at the level of talented actors that Marvel has already cast for this movie (coupled with the consistent rumors that Javier Bardem--another Academy Award winning actor--is in final talks for the role of Galactus), they aren't going to waste this opportunity to "put the cherry on top" with another big-name appearance. We have to remember that this is also about driving ticket sales up--they need butts in seats until the very end. People will stay in place to see anything and everything they can about Doctor Doom on screen.

2.) Storyline: Considering what's happened with the Kang Dynasty storyline, and the concept's alleged subsequent shelving by Marvel, an appearance in The Fantastic Four will be a prime opportunity to pivot and set Dr. Doom up as the next big baddie--not only for Secret Wars, but also possibly for the next FF sequel.

3.) Timing: Pursuant to my No. 2 point above, they will need to weave Dr. Doom into several storylines from other MCU films if he's going to have Thanos-level impacts in Secret Wars. That's also why I think he might appear in a mid-credits scene long before this film comes out. It's very possible that the storyline shift away from Kang may be what's driving all of the reshoots for Cap 4. Thunderbolts might also allude to Doom somehow.
Dr Doom as the next big bad of the MCU with every hero going up against him like they did Thanos...I actually would like it

Grain of salt as always but CanWeGetSomeToast claimed on Twitter that Franklin Richards will appear:

I suppose that would be an interesting way to bring in the young avengers

Tim Story's first effort was generally okay, though I disagreed with some of his casting choices at the time. The second was just way too campy and repetitive, even though I liked the Silver Surfer. I never saw Josh Trank's version - the trailer alone put me off.

I really hope that when the F4 make it to the MCU, whoever's in charge of the film sticks a whole lot more to the books...because I read quite a few of them growing up, and no film so far has matched them.

Ryan Gosling as Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider...I can actually see him as Johnny just like I saw Nicolas Cage as Johnny back in the day
I think Cage was too old for Ghost Rider, by the time it was eventually made. I know it was in development hell (pardon the pun) for about 15 years, and Cage was involved that whole time...but ultimately, they could have done a lot better. I never saw the sequel, but I did think the Ronnie Reyes version on "Agents of SHIELD" was cool.

I'm really hoping that Franklin (and even Valeria) does indeed appear in this next film, and that Susan is Susan Richards, not Susan Storm. It would be great to see something different with this family dynamic than the previous F4 films. Judging by his past work, I know that Matt Shakman can do a lot with an ensemble cast involving children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"