• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Of course the movie has to be good, but one of the perks to having both Spidey and FF in the MCU now is now can see these two meet for the first time in live action:

GGZHddgbQAQa1h7

Last edited:
Wonder if we'll see Marvel's First Family pop up on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson or any other fun references. Given the specificity around the Life magazine cover & being set at the end of 1963--that was a pretty radical year in US history alone

This is basically what I was thinking too ... That their universe does get attacked by Galactus (an they can't stop it) an only just escape to the main MCU universe in time before their world is destroyed (which I think would be interesting to actually have the heros lose to him, showing just what a true threat Galactus poses) when they try to warn our universe of his existence

Which I also think the 60s theme will play a factor in them not being able to stop Galactus (as the tech an weapons of the time just weren't advanced enough) and maybe that's what motivated the time jump too a future point

The how/ and why is the really question ... Of getting to our universe and current timeline?

Just crossing dimensions alone would land them in the 60s of the MCU universe (so, would we be looking at a rewrite of history?)

Unless their universe's timeline is just out of sync with other universe's (or just developed differently to where their modern timeline just looks and feels like the 60s)
Or maybe Reed becomes aware of the threat to our world and they come here to help stop him. Maybe they have a 2nd accident and don't go back (yeah, or maybe their world is gone and they can't go back is more likely). Anyway, at least now the fun part starts......Man I've been waiting for a lot longer than I care to remember for this.

The thing about this cast for me is that each actor is a pretty big flex. All on hot streaks and all really well regarded right now. I can't think of the last time I felt that way about any superhero flick, that the cast just felt so incredibly of the moment. That indicates to me that Marvel really wants this to be a hit and also doesn't want another Jonathan Majors/Tenoch Huerta situation.

I'm sure Marvel is beating down Cillian's door. Wouldn't be surprised if they're looking at Keanu for this too (not necessarily as Doom, but I wouldn't rule it out).

Cillian would be great as Doom, sure. I just don’t know if I see him signing up for multiple movies.

Christian Bale, I think would be a good get too. He played Gorr but I’m more forgiving of using the same actor when the first role was prosthetics and/or a one-and-done.

MV5BNzI2ODU0ZDctZDc5My00ZmQ4LTk2NjYtZmVmNTYzYTM4ZDYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQWFybm8@._V1_.jpg

It's obvious fan-casting all over again, but I can totally see Cillian Murphy as Dr Doom. His eyes are perfect for the role as much as Willem Dafoe's face was for Green Goblin.

mads_mikkelsen_as_dr__doom_in_avengers_secret_wars_by_diamonddead_art_dggzde0-414w-2x.jpg

I will never give up hoping that despite him playing Kaecilius in a wasted role which was also cast before they even got the rights back from Fox, that Mads Mikkelsen gets to play Doom or at the least, provides the voice once the mask goes on....

I think whoever it is, they’ll be someone uncontroversial and already adored. Feels like Marvel wants the internet to fall in love with this cast.

Andrew Scott is another actor I could see being in contention for an antagonist role in this.

The thing about this cast for me is that each actor is a pretty big flex. All on hot streaks and all really well regarded right now. I can't think of the last time I felt that way about any superhero flick, that the cast just felt so incredibly of the moment. That indicates to me that Marvel really wants this to be a hit and also doesn't want another Jonathan Majors/Tenoch Huerta situation.
Expound on that, if you don't mind. I'm not getting how Majors or Huerta's situations tie into the casting for this.

I’ve been watching some videos and I’m liking it more and more. I loved EMB for Ben from the moment I heard it.

I like Pedro P., but I’ve been on the fence because he isn’t my idea of Reed out of the box, but as I research the whole cast, I see a pattern: None of them nail the physical appearance we’d expect for the characters, but nearly all seem to have solid acting chops.

And I’m willing to sacrifice some physical traits for the ability to bring the characters to life in more important ways.

So overall, I like this cast a lot and am probably more excited than I’ve been since I was sitting in the theater waiting for Tim Story’s first film to start (unfortunately, it’s been a long downward slide since that moment nearly 20 years ago).

I was just about to get back to you earlier today, but I had to run out the door earlier, which kept me away most of the day.

Anyway, it was great to read your thoughts overall, but I'd like to focus more on the part of your reply that I bolded. What sort of thought process do you go through to being more accepting of this mindset? Me? I just think, "Comics are a visual medium, so the visuals must be most important." By "bring the characters to life in more important ways, you mean characterization, right?

Even I was a little disappointed by one or two of the casting choices, and I'm not even the biggest Fantastic Four fan. I am, however, a huge X-Men fan, and this announcement has made me realize that some of my favorite characters might not debut with as much aesthetic fidelity as I would hope for. And so I just want to know how I can get closer to your thinking, because when the reboot happens, I'm not sure if I can have such a stoic reaction to some of the potential castings.... 😭

Expound on that, if you don't mind. I'm not getting how Majors or Huerta's situations tie into the casting for this.

I just mean they want to avoid, as much as possible, casting people who might invite controversy. Obviously you can only do so much. And Huerta’s situation seems like just the singular accusation so there wasn’t, as far as I know, a history like there was with Majors.

Still, it seems like they went for people who are on hot streaks and pretty widely well-regarded.

I was just about to get back to you earlier today, but I had to run out the door earlier, which kept me away most of the day.

Anyway, it was great to read your thoughts overall, but I'd like to focus more on the part of your reply that I bolded. What sort of thought process do you go through to being more accepting of this mindset? Me? I just think, "Comics are a visual medium, so the visuals must be most important." By "bring the characters to life in more important ways, you mean characterization, right?

Even I was a little disappointed by one or two of the casting choices, and I'm not even the biggest Fantastic Four fan. I am, however, a huge X-Men fan, and this announcement has made me realize that some of my favorite characters might not debut with as much aesthetic fidelity as I would hope for. And so I just want to know how I can get closer to your thinking, because when the reboot happens, I'm not sure if I can have such a stoic reaction to some of the potential castings.... 😭

I think, first off, it’s hollywood. With the right costumes, make-up, hair etc. and after they’ve hit the gym with a personal trainer, they’ll look a lot more like the characters than we can imagine at this point. And these actors aren’t way off. Just not spitting images.

And I’m an old man. I’ve seen enough of these castings to realize acting ability can take us a lot farther than looks.

As one quick example, consider Michael Keaton and Brandon Routh.

Keaton seemed completely wrong, but pulled it off and basically invented modern film Batman. Every other actor to play him has been influenced by his portrayal.

Brandon Routh WAS Superman physically, but his performance was flat and gave us one of the most forgettable Superman films.

And we could go on and on with various examples. Hugh Jackman and Ian McKellen are two that didn’t have the physical appearance, but nailed it with their performances. Olivia Munn looked great as Psylocke, but didn’t bring the character to life etc. etc. etc.

I don't know if this is anything official or just fan art...

... but, still pretty good, and more of a look of what they may look like fulling suited up?

Just hopping in to say I think the cast is super-solid, especially Kirby(!) and Ebon are god-tier decisions, seriously watch The Bear if you haven't. Pedro and Joseph will get butts on the seats and I think they will be great too. Happy to see H.E.R.B.I.E and the idea of seeing them fight Galactus and Surfer in the 60s sounds like a win. Really, really rooting for this crew and movie. Go FF!

1000038998.jpg

Pedro and Joseph will get butts on the seats
I'm sure Quinn has a fanbase, but he isn't some huge superstar known for pulling in box office dollars. At least not yet. Hell neither is Pascal really, as his biggest successes have been on tv.

If Silver surfer really is in the mix my top choice is Lakeith Stanfield. And Cillian Murphy would be my Doom.

I'm sure Quinn has a fanbase, but he isn't some huge superstar known for pulling in box office dollars. At least not yet. Hell neither is Pascal really, as his biggest successes have been on tv.
I believe TV is more relevant tha cinema right now when it comes to mainstream appeal, so having people from Stranger Things and The Last of Us doesn't sound that bad to me.

Listen, the IP is the superstar in this case. Your main cast doesn’t need to be name stars, as long as you stack the supporting cast with recognizable faces as we’ve seen with lots of MCU films with lesser or no name lead stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"