Grayskull: Masters of the Universe - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know anything about the movie before I saw it. I was hoping for a Green Hornet reference or something at the beginning...that old Tonto stuff was stupid (and a bit disturbing, actually...the whole movie was a nightmare).

The cinematography and action were excelent though, the old Tonto plot device wasn't that bad for me, but i wish the kid would have been the future Green Hornet, would have been a nice wink to fans.

It had many flaws, but just like the Pirates films i found it very entertaining.

So basically Johnny Depp is going to play Clamp Champ in blackface?

I kid, I kid. I am fairly ambivalent about the director choice, it's not like they were going to get Aronofsky to do this. I am still reasonably optimistic.

From the writer i'm sure this film will be a lot of fun, but i'm not that hopeful of the Director, either way, it's been put in better hands than i expected, which is a good thing.

Nobody who we give a **** about as a director really wants to take this on, be honest.

Well, I really liked Kick-Ass 2 so this news is okay to me (though I'm not a fan of the writer).

Still, anybody was better than G.I. Bieber guy.

E-mail interviews with Donald F. Glut, writer of the original four Masters of the Universe mini-comics
(conducted by Matt Jozwiak on December 14-16, 2001)

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE Writer Shares Origin Of Eternia & Castle Grayskull
SHADOWLAND MAGAZINE: When Mattel initially hired you to write the original four Masters of the Universe mini-comics how much of the story and characters had already been fleshed out? Did Mattel already have a structured outline, an early concept to expand upon, or was much of the story left to your imagination?

DONALD F. GLUT:
I wasn't hired by Mattel per se, but by Western Publishing Company. Western, at the time, was publishing a lot of licensed books, comics, etc. owned by various movie, TV and toy companies. My main editor at Western offered me the gig. He showed me a set of about a half dozen Polaroid photos from Mattel, showing prototypes of various characters and also the castle, most of which were, at the time, unnamed. I recall He-Man and Man-at-Arms - and possibly Beast Man already having names, but not much else. Mattel sent notes to Western describing what the toys did. But the names of the other characters, the universe they existed in, their origins and powers, etc. were pretty much left up to me. And I was instructed to include in the stories how the toys and their accessories (like swords) functioned.

SM: Were you responsible for coming up with the names of Eternia, Castle Grayskull, and He-Man's Power Sword?

DFG:
Yes, all three. The name Eternia was inspired by the title of the movie Fantasia To my thinking it seemed to fit because the mixing of the primitive and futuristic - swords and fantastic vehicles, for example -suggested to me an "eternal" or timeless universe. Castle Grayskull I named after my then-wife's maiden name, Gray. I named the Power Sword after the Power Stone, a recurring plot device from some of the earliest Superman comic-book stories.

The material is just too corny I think to ever get off the ground regardless of nostalgia sake.

I think it can be done. In a world where there's room for movies of Thor, The Avengers, TMNT, Hellboy, and Guardians of The Galaxy, let alone Transformers and G.I Joe, there should be room for He-Man and TMOTU.

I think it depends on how far and much you want to do with the first film.

The problem with He-Man now is that there isn't anything going on with it. There should be another TV show to gauge if a movie is warranted.

Thor already same from old mythologies, The Avengers was just a superhero team-up, Hellboy has a lot of quality material, no offense, but i'dd really consider it superior to He-Man, G.I.Joe could have easily been grounded as more of a military film than having all that fantasy and Transformers is something incredibly bankeable, you can use it to join with large corporations and sell to both, Kids and Adults, as you can promote Toys and Cars at the same time.

You can make a good point about TMNT and Guardians of the Galaxy though. I think everything can become a high quality film, you just need to get the right people and execution behind it. They will have to be very careful with this film though, if not well promoted enough it can become a large failure.

Basically what I'm saying is that all those properties I mentioned had certain "trappings" in their original form, and an "updating" of sorts was something crucial that had to happen in order for them to work as films. It should be no different with He-Man. The concept already has something that can lend itself to a Joseph Campbell-type structure.

Dakota Goyo has a thing for playing powerful characters as children. Why not continue the pattern and cast him as the young He-Man which is Prince Adam? I really think it could be a clever move.

3146362-blog_orko_passes_sword_01.jpg

A little MOTU element in the clothing here?
tumblr_msm7qkNE3t1sw9zpeo8_500.jpg

Adam's hairstyle?
tumblr_m9sq47zise1r5rg9go1_500.jpg

Goyo's most recent film
10175002_680818231965839_6034754077153111697_n.jpg

Any suggestion for actresses to play Teela, btw?

Last edited:
Basically what I'm saying is that all those properties I mentioned had certain "trappings" in their original form, and an "updating" of sorts was something crucial that had to happen in order for them to work as films. It should be no different with He-Man. The concept already has something that can lend itself to a Joseph Campbell-type structure.

I think He-Man can be great though the names of the villains are so on-the-nose, haha.

It's easy to come up with names for He-Man characters. Fisto, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Pervo the Perversian and Colon the Vulgarian.

Dakota Goyo has a thing for playing powerful characters as children. Why not continue the pattern and cast him as the young He-Man which is Prince Adam? I really think it could be a clever move.
I could see it.
Any suggestion for actresses to play Teela, btw?
Jane Levy's my top pick, but someone like Shailene Woodley certainly fits the bill as well.

teela101.jpg

5543_zpse9fda169.jpg

Divergent2014Movie-ShaileneWoodley-StylishLeatherJacketForWomen-New_zpsd6f04c9e.jpg

Depending on what age you want the characters to be, if you wanted a slightly older Teela, Amanda Righetti is my choice.
18-amanda-rigetti.jpg

Last edited:
I could see it.
Me too. The truth is, I can even see it work with furry trousers, and purple pants and boots too, as long as it's Goyo in the role. There's a special element to him that would work so well in something like this. I can't find any suitable words to describe it, it just is.

Good suggestion.
It's hard to pick a Teela these days. It was easier ten years ago. The obvious choice back then (Lindsay Lohan) is not obvious anymore. And that's not just because of her age ;)

Last edited:
I think He-Man can be great though the names of the villains are so on-the-nose, haha.

True. I guess they could do like the 2011-Thundercats series and give new names to, say, Beast-Man, Mer-Man, Moss-Man, Fisto, etc..., like TC did with Jackalman, Monkian, and Vultureman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"