Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Part 2

426894_10151329553015416_541325415_22762952_1035208897_n.jpg

Seriously.

Its an absolute travesty they didnt win visual effects

A shame it didn't win the Oscar but I've never been a fan of the Oscars anyway, so it doesn't really matter much to me. In my mind the movie wins regardless of what the Academy chose.

Thanks, havent seen Hugo but for me Rise, TF3 or Real Steel deserved the nod.

Real Steel was great due to fantastic integration of practical and digital effects (People tend to forget that practical effects still count).

Despite this however, I am still more impressed with Maurice the Orangutan than anything else from last year, or for many years preceding.

^Yeah Maurice was amazing, although I thought the effects for him wavered a bit in the last 5 or so mins in the film, were as Atom et al were pretty consistent throughout.

I haven't seen Hugo, but the special effects must have been really impressive to beat out Rise.

I haven't seen Hugo, but the special effects must have been really impressive to beat out Rise.

It's not. Hugo's CGI is a lot less obvious and more to accentuate the storybook element of the film -- but the CGI wasn't standout good. ROTA, DOTM, and HP8 were far superior in the Visual Effects category.

Thanks, havent seen Hugo but for me Rise, TF3 or Real Steel deserved the nod.

I haven't seen Hugo either, but I agree fully that Rise or Real Steel should've won. DOTM, eh, the CGI in it is good, but not as good as the other two for me.

I still haven't seen Hugo....and to be honest, it hasn't interested me enough to bother.

Hugo looked interesting from the previews, I want to give it a look.

Hugo was a very good movie. One of those classics that people of all ages will enjoy. But I agree that I don't think it deserved best SFX. They were good, but not in the same way as Apes. At least I didn't think so.

Hugo is very good,but I don't know if I was as impressed with the effects or the ways that they were used as I was with Caesar and Maurice.

The effects in Rise were definitely outstanding, among other things about the movie to me.

This film was better than Hugo itself. At least with this I was engaged completely.

http://fxrant.blogspot.com/2012/01/vfx-predictinator-84th-academy-awards.html

It’s that time of year again. Time to feed The VFX Predictinator.

For the uninitiated, The VFX Predictinator is a formula my wife and I developed in 2010 that accurately predicted the winner of the visual effects Academy Award from 1989-2010 based on quantifiable data points. Last year, we expanded the formula to accommodate five nominees with success -- The Predictinator accurately predicted the winner ("Inception"), just as it did for the previous 21 years.

The Predictinator chose Hugo.

When I read that Hugo was predicted to win days before the awards ceremony, when I heard the awards announcement I wasn't surprised when it won.

Here's something that I think as to why Hugo won; besides the Predictinator process to winning. Where as the other films beside Hugo had more technologically realistic and expensive effects, cinema is a medium that is taken seriously as an art form in the Academy. The effects in Hugo were artistic in that they artistically supported the story instead of not taking it over; as in a loud expensive effects driven film. The summer effects films could quite possibly being not taken seriously within the artistic community is because an artistic film like Hugo is released, instead of a sequel, remake or reboot.

Last edited:
I think Rise was definitely a case where the special effects helped the movie with it's story and presentation, it wasn't just for show. It was deserving of the award.

I liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes as well. But it might be falling in that category of reboots I was talking about that may of dissuaded voters. Oh well, This film is one of my favorites from the last year, and who really cares what The Academy thinks anyway.

eh, the Oscars and the Grammy's and all manner of awards shows are all ********. Doesn't mean a damn thing if they didn't win VFX. What counts is whats on the screen and we all know it's absolutely AMAZING.

Oh well, This film is one of my favorites from the last year, and who really cares what The Academy thinks anyway.

Precisely. I've never cared about what critics or the Academy thinks, I like what I like in my movies and that's that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"