Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Taylor that important to this current series?

Not really,it could be done without him but I simply would like to see the character in this new franchise

I think it's to lessen the likelihood someone will get pulled over by a cop.

Like a school of fish. :cwink:

Yeah, I'm sure some of them do it for that as well. Then again Kedrell perfectly described the disturbed people that feel the need to sit down next to someone just because. I know we are social creatures, but I'm glad I don't have that particular issue.

Yeah, I'm sure some of them do it for that as well. Then again Kedrell perfectly described the disturbed people that feel the need to sit down next to someone just because. I know we are social creatures, but I'm glad I don't have that particular issue.

I'm disturbed in the opposite fashion. I could go years without any human contact. :cwink:

I like being a pvt person and so I feel most comfortable when no stranger is behind/in front or next to me

Just saw the movie yesterday. Great movie. What I loved was that Reeves really built up the tension before the big action sequences began. A lot of movies, especially big summer movies, just throw everything that they've got at you too soon, but what Reeves did was give us time to let the atmosphere sink in and care about the characters before any of the bad stuff happened to them. It just makes the big action sequences when they do occur seem much better earned. I also loved the many subtle moments that were peppered throughout the movie, like when
Caesar reunites with his son
or
Alexander and Maurice reading together
that really gave the movie a lot of heart. I nearly teared up at parts like that. And I loved how it kept in the spirit of the Planet of the Apes franchise by being socially relevant and having something to say in regards to the human condition. All in all a 9 or 9.5 out of 10 for me. Can't wait for the next one!

I'm disturbed in the opposite fashion. I could go years without any human contact. :cwink:

I'm the same way, although it's kind of hypocritical for us to say that while communicating with each other on the Internet. :woot:

Is Taylor that important to this current series?

I agree.

I prefer they continue this series with the Caesar bloodline.

Let the classic PotA series remain somewhat distant.

In a way, the Planet of the Apes franchise has always been the polar opposite of the Star Trek franchise. Both are sci-fi 1960's spawned tales of the future but one is very optimistic and one is probably the most pessimistic franchise there's ever been. I've always preferred Apes to Trek. Call me a cynic but it just feels more believable.

Wouldn't the state of the world in the original series be still quite some time in the future from this one anyway? The apes still have a long way to go before they achieve that level of a civilization.

I agree.

I prefer they continue this series with the Caesar bloodline.

Let the classic PotA series remain somewhat distant.
My thoughts as well. But, I feel like they've made Ceaser such a well rounded and compelling character in both films that I don't want to lose him yet. That's why I hope they don't do a big time jump any time soon. :(

In a way, the Planet of the Apes franchise has always been the polar opposite of the Star Trek franchise. Both are sci-fi 1960's spawned tales of the future but one is very optimistic and one is probably the most pessimistic franchise there's ever been. I've always preferred Apes to Trek. Call me a cynic but it just feels more believable.

I'm the same way. I've always been more of a POTA fan than Trek fan for the same reason, and I'm not even that cynical of a person.

My thoughts as well. But, I feel like they've made Ceaser such a well rounded and compelling character in both films that I don't want to lose him yet. That's why I hope they don't do a big time jump any time soon. :(

Even if so, it wouldn't mean Serkis needs to leave.

Thursday night preview showings or midnight showings really are the absolute best for big, franchise films because, for the most part, the people attending really care about what they're seeing and aren't just there to "catch a movie" or **** around with friends. Also, the crowd reactions are great and really add to the experience.

I still remember seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes with a packed audience, and how I heard a collective gasp when Caesar screamed, "NO!"

Agreed. I just want one more film about Ceasar to finish his story, since at the end of Dawn
the apes appear to be officially going to war with humans, and it would be interesting to see him as a general

I think I find dystopic sci-fi more interesting because it's cautionary about modern problems in an imaginary way.

It makes heavy issues no one likes to discuss alot more fun to contemplate.

Plus nothing beats apes on horses with assault weapons. :p

Thursday night preview showings or midnight showings really are the absolute best for big, franchise films because, for the most part, the people attending really care about what they're seeing and aren't just there to "catch a movie" or **** around with friends. Also, the crowd reactions are great and really add to the experience.

I still remember seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes with a packed audience, and how I heard a collective gasp when Caesar screamed, "NO!"

Maybe for late night shows, but I went to see Godzilla at 7 PM Thursday night and there were a ton of casual audience members there (ie small kids and their parents). The earlier the previews start, the more likely they are to have people who just happen to be at the theater and decide to go see it.

One of my favorite parts:

When Maurice and the other ape prisoners notice the window pane symbol.

I always loved that symbol. It was so cool how it resurfaces in this movie and how the apes use it.

What if everyone on the internet is actually a single artificial intelligence with countless personality simulators? :eek:

Write a script and pitch it to Hollywood. It could be like a Seinfeld-esque take on The Matrix. ;)

"What's the deal with these machines?"

Last edited:
Also, from what I've heard,
There is some post - credits audio that hints at Koba being alive. Not entirely sure how I feel about that to be honest. On one hand, I thought Koba was a fantastic villain and one of the best CGI characters ever created, but on the other, I just don't see how he could have survived that fall. I mean I know apes are a lot stronger and sturdier than humans but they're not THAT durable IMO. And IDK how they would incorporate him into the next movie either. But if they can find a good to do so I'm all for it.

Also, from what I've heard,
There is some post - credits audio that hints at Koba being alive. Not entirely sure how I feel about that to be honest. On one hand, I thought Koba was a fantastic villain and one of the best CGI characters ever created, but on the other, I just don't see how he could have survived that fall. I mean I know apes are a lot stronger and sturdier than humans but they're not THAT durable IMO. And IDK how they would incorporate him into the next movie either. But if they can find a good to do so I'm all for it.

Well

On my second viewing you can see that Koba lands on a structure before it falls down below. So it's plausible that he lived.

I saw it last night. It's just fantastic. I almost cried in some bits.

It's probably my favourite movie of 2014

Well

On my second viewing you can see that Koba lands on a structure before it falls down below. So it's plausible that he lived.

True, I didn't notice that. But I just can't see him coming back from being crushed by all that rubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"