The Adventures of Tintin - Part 1

Spielberg and Jackson Team for Tintin!
Source: Variety
May 15, 2007

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson are teaming to direct and produce three back-to-back features based on Georges Remi's beloved Belgian comic-strip hero Tintin for DreamWorks, reports Variety. The films will be produced in full digital 3-D using performance capture technology.

The two filmmakers will each direct at least one of the movies; the studio wouldn't say which director would helm the third. Kathleen Kennedy joins Spielberg and Jackson as a producer on the three films, which might be released through DreamWorks Animation.

Tintin has long been a passion project for Spielberg, who has been trying to get film rights to the comedic and adventurous book series for more than 25 years, a goal realized over the past year. With the rights in place, Spielberg, Jackson and DreamWorks began quietly developing the project.

Jackson's New Zealand-based WETA Digital, the f/x house behind "The Lord of the Rings" franchise, produced a 20-minute test reel bringing to life the characters created by Remi, who wrote under the pen name of Hergé.

"Hergé's characters have been reborn as living beings, expressing emotion and a soul which goes far beyond anything we've seen to date with computer animated characters," Spielberg said.

"We want Tintin's adventures to have the reality of a live-action film, and yet Peter and I felt that shooting them in a traditional live-action format would simply not honor the distinctive look of the characters and world that Hergé created," Spielberg continued.

Official word of the three-pic pact comes just weeks after Jackson inked a deal with DreamWorks to direct The Lovely Bones, based on Alice Sebold's haunting tome about a 14-year-old girl who watches over her family -- and attacker -- from heaven after she is raped and killed.

The Spielberg-Jackson project isn't likely to languish in development for long. Spielberg could become available this fall after wrapping Indiana Jones 4. Jackson will wrap "Bones" by the end of the year.

Spielberg and Jackson have selected three stories from Remi's "The Adventures of Tintin" series, which encompassed 23 books published between 1929 and 1976. The series still attracts 2 million new fans a year.

Series, which has sold more than 200 million copies worldwide, chronicles adventures of a junior reporter who will follows stories to the ends of the earth, even though he often finds his own life in jeopardy. His able assistants include a white dog named Snowy, the lunatic Captain Haddock, the muddled genius Professor Calculus and the Thompson Twins.

Jackson said WETA will stay true to Remi's original designs in bringing the cast of Tintin to life, but that the characters won't look cartoonish.

"Instead," Jackson said, "we're making them look photorealistic; the fibers of their clothing, the pores of their skin and each individual hair. They look exactly like real people --but real Hergé people!"

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20387
OMG!!!
I remember watching the Tintin cartoons when I was a kid and loving them, I can't wait for this now.:woot::woot:

I'll be fine if that's the runtime, Spielberg and Kahn will surely find the perfect pace for the movie, that I have no doubt.

QBComics

No, you Americans are luckier. I'm not getting Drive until ****ing next month, now that is pure torture.

Btw, we're getting Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy in December.

I confess I would've liked to see that motorcycle zipline scene in live action just to see if Spielberg could have pulled it off as a full tracking shot like here.

The international trailer bought my ticket, looks like the classic Spielberg magic is in tact. :)

The Score does not have anything to do with Home Alone. Where did you hear that. But i sounds A LOT like Star Wars.

The Score does not have anything to do with Home Alone. Where did you hear that. But i sounds A LOT like Star Wars.

I don't hear any Star Wars, well there is a little bit of Episode I in it, but have you listened to the entire Home Alone soundtrack? I don't know, maybe it's more accurate to say that this soundtrack sounds entirely like Tintin. Either way, the music is gorgeous.

Last edited:
Saw the trailer, I absolutely love how it is looking. All the characters look great, action looks jaw dropping amazing and Spielberg looks like he has having the time of his life with the animation. The best part of the trailer is without a doubt the fact that they are using the punching sounds from Indiana Jones.

I don't hear any Star Wars, well there is a little bit of Episode I in it, but have you listened to the entire Home Alone soundtrack? I don't know, maybe it's more accurate to say that this soundtrack sounds entirely like Tintin. Either way, the music is gorgeous.

I listen on soundtracks, and yeah I have the entire Home Alone soundtrack.

There is no need to have an pointless argument. We are both right and it's a sure thing that this will be yet another Williams masterpiece.

So I was wondering, has anyone tried to ranking the books? Just for fun. I was wondering what some feel are the best stories.

They aren't keeping the 'Secret of the Unicorn' bit in the actual title, though, right? Because that sounds insanely campy (but makes sense in context).

5 Clips From The Adventures of Tintin

Source

I watched only one clip and I'm tempted to watch more, but as the movie will release in just over two weeks, I'll not watch more. :p

I crapped myself at how good those clips look. Tintin looks a little too clean at times, but overall, I'm impressed.

i dont want to spoil myself. which clip has only dialoge? i need to see how it looks when they talk.

Despite that I have read the comics that's based on I don't want to watch all of the clips, just one. I'll like to be surprised when I see the new elements they're going to put in the movie. Regarding the one clip I watched, it looks fantastic.

holly s... did you see the preview video when they filmed? tintin with the ship? this is a big update from Avatar. but i noticed that they still didnt use realtime shadows.

it was great to see that Spielberg and Jackson used comicsbooks for poses for the actotors. plus all the art on the walls. fantastic

After watching those clips, I'm officially convinced that WETA has finally overcome "The Uncanny Valley".

Now to wait 2 1/2 more months. :woot:

Looks like they've finally done it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"