The Adventures of Tintin - Part 1

Has this 15 minute behind-the-scenes vid been posted yet? A nice evolution from what Avatar innovated. Really can't wait for this film. Spielberg and Jackson may have found a medium in which big-budget tales can be told, without having to worry about live action logistics.

^ Yeah, I posted that one on the first page.

The 90s animated adaption of the two "Unicorn" albums are deeply rooted in my childhood and I love them so very much to this day. Though I gotta say a huge part of that is the Swedish voice-acting. Will feel weird to hear other voices.

Still stoked though, I think the animation looks fantastic, very faithful but still with a freshness to it. Trying to make Tintin live-action or too photo-realistic would have been a horrible mistake imo.

I also hope this movie makes alot more people discover these great stories.

I hope they make "Shooting Star" next.

I'm also used to hearing Qviström and Milldoff's voices for Tintin & Haddock, but I'm starting to get used to Bell and Serkis.

The Shooting Star would be interesting for the sequel, but it has been said that the sequel will be based on The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun.

Last edited:
If TIn TIn becomes a success , i'm hoping that other CB properties which are difficult to adapt in live action , will also be given a similar treatment.
Seriously i'm literally drooling thinking about seeing a Dragonball Z movie made this way.

Or Les Obscures Cites, which may be too expensive for live action. That'd be cool.

saw it this morning - good fun action film

fast paced from the get go and doesnt let up - one criticism is maybe not enough character development

great voice acting, it looks marvelous and no uncanny valley eyes imo

def worth seeing

Only 6 days... Can't wait.

If TIn TIn becomes a success , i'm hoping that other CB properties which are difficult to adapt in live action , will also be given a similar treatment.
Seriously i'm literally drooling thinking about seeing a Dragonball Z movie made this way.

May I ask why? A huge part of DBZ is the style of the art. The fact that it is animated. It isn't a Cowboy Bebop where the heart lies in the story or the characters.

Also, why DBZ and not Dragon Ball?? That is were I feel the greatness lies in the series.

Last edited:
May I ask why? A huge part of DBZ is the style of the art. The fact that it is animated. It isn't a Cowboy Bebop where the heart lies in the story or the characters.

Also, why DBZ and not Dragon Ball?? That is were the greatness lies in the series I feel.

Dragon Ball FTW!

so I wrote a proper review of Tintin if you want to read it click HERE
I'm happy to answer any questions too

EDIT: okay I cannot link to it because the forum seems to have a vendetta against CBM's website

Darth i think the style would work well for a big screen dragonball adventure (and I agree dragonball not Z is definitely the story worth telling on the big screen)

That would be the appeal of using the Tintin method. It retains the property's artistic style, gets a huge visual overhaul thanks to photorealistic textures, and having most of the control done in the computer allows maximum flexibility in direction. It's the best of both worlds (cartoon/live-action).

i dont belive it. TinTin's budget is IMO mroe expensive then 150. Spielberg will get this kind of money because its Spielberg and Jackson producing. 2 years working on an animated movie can not be cheaper then a Pixar movie. Up,Toy Story 3 and Cars 2 are on Boxofficemojo more expensive then 150. so this is the ''official '' number. the real number must be bigger.TinTin was modeled,textured,rigged,simulated,captured/cleanup for 2 years. this is not possible to do with 150.think it is not.
now the obvious question is what when it will become cheaper. here is the thing. modeling,texturing,rigging,.... can not become faster and cheaper in the next 2 years. so a TinTin type movie will cost almost the same in the next 2 years. i hope for the best. i hope it is cheaper then 170/200 millions. i hope TinTin will make money. i hope they make more movies with the WETA capturing-facial rigging technology.

i would sell my sould for a DB Z movie like TinTIn. devil you hear me?

For DBZ it would probably be in their best interest if they ever did it would be to make them more stylized like Dreamworks or Pixar, only with realistic hair/clothing.

I'd prefer the 300 approach to a DB/DBZ movie.

That would be the appeal of using the Tintin method. It retains the property's artistic style, gets a huge visual overhaul thanks to photorealistic textures, and having most of the control done in the computer allows maximum flexibility in direction. It's the best of both worlds (cartoon/live-action).

No, the art style would simply look awful imo. Goku is like a lesser version of Spongebob, Mickey Mouse, or Homer. The appeal is in the exaggerated nature of how he is drawn. The more "real" you make him and his friends, the less endearing they are.

Mo-capping someone trying to do what Goku does defeats the purpose. His appeal is in his otherworldly nature.

JAK®;21672753 said:
I'd prefer the 300 approach to a DB/DBZ movie.

Why does there even need to be a different version of the series? What is wrong with what already exist?

Last edited:
Man, I loved that behind the scenes video. Shows just how much imagination is relied upon when making this. Which is a good thing. Poeple always talk about how practical sets help more and that probably is the case, but using imagination never hurts. It's a true test for an actor too. To react to something that isn't there. And seeing Spileberg and Jackson together puts a smile on my face.

Why does there even need to be a different version of the series? What is wrong with what already exist?
This site is founded on the concept of adapting comic characters to the screen. To answer this question would be like answering the meaning of life.

JAK®;21672881 said:
This site is founded on the concept of adapting comic characters to the screen. To answer this question would be like answering the meaning of life.

There have been plenty of screen time for the Dragon ball franchise. Three television series, over 15 films. It isn't like this has never happened.

If they make more I would hope it would be in the animation style we have already seen.

No, the art style would simply look awful imo. Goku is like a lesser version of Spongebob, Mickey Mouse, or Homer. The appeal is in the exaggerated nature of how he is drawn. The more "real" you make him and his friends, the less endearing they are.
We've got living proof by way of this film that it's possible to do both. What can possibly be taken away through pure texture? That's the only thing real about it. Proportions and design do not change.

Mo-capping someone trying to do what Goku does defeats the purpose. His appeal is in his otherworldly nature.
I don't see what that has to do with the technical nature of performance capturing and aided animation.

There have been plenty of screen time for the Dragon ball franchise. Three television series, over 15 films. It isn't like this has never happened.

If they make more I would hope it would be in the animation style we have already seen.
Consider how many issues Batman has appeared in, how many TV shows he has been in and how many movies have been made. That dwarfs DB in terms of media appearances.

We've got living proof by way of this film that it's possible to do both. What can possibly be taken away through pure texture? That's the only thing real about it. Proportions and design do not change.

I don't see what that has to do with the technical nature of performance capturing and aided animation.

How does Tintin, aka Indy-lite, compare to the guy who acts like Spongebob and would give Superman a run for his money in the ring? You are going to mo-cap someone and then completely disregard it? You going to adding the exaggerated Anime expression and animations? Because Goku does not move like any man I have seen. Little Goku doesn't and once the series lost its mind with the power levels he certainly doesn't.

In what way would this be better then the art style they already utilize?

JAK®;21672919 said:
Consider how many issues Batman has appeared in, how many TV shows he has been in and how many movies have been made. That dwarfs DB in terms of media appearances.

Two completely different beast. The story of the Dragon Ball franchise is very static. It is what it is and what there is, isn't exactly that deep. Even the film interpretations of the original series show that.

Batman is a sandbox with nearly endless permutations. It is why after 70 years, the still middle aged Batman can take on the middle aged Joker.

Also, why exactly what DB change art style for a film? We have already seen the results of live action.

How does Tintin, aka Indy-lite, compare to the guy who acts like Spongebob and would give Superman a run for his money in the ring? You are going to mo-cap someone and then completely disregard it?
You mo-cap standard/normal movements and animate the rest. What exactly is so difficult?

You going to adding the exaggerated Anime expression and animations? Because Goku does not move like any man I have seen. Little Goku doesn't and once the series lost its mind with the power levels he certainly doesn't.
I'm really having trouble understanding your issue here. This newfound method that Spielberg has utilized is a literal living cartoon. If you were pleased with the animated incarnations, I'm utterly confused at your disdain towards what is essentially an extended evolution of that medium. There is nothing in the shows that cannot be achieved in this format. This is any animated fan's dream technology.

In what way would this be better then the art style they already utilize?
In that the art style is the same, except added dimension with a tangibility that gives it life. It most certainly doesn't detract from it.

JAK®;21672981 said:
Tintin: 1929

Indiana Jones: 1981

That does not change the nature of the stories. Tintin is intended to appeal to an age group younger then that of the original Indy series. Raiders and Temple have some seriously gruesome stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"