The Adventures of Tintin - Part 1

Reviews out of Belgium:

Lesoir:
Steven Spielberg succeeds with flying colors, a great adventure film popular in the best sense of the word. Rhythmic, colored and full of relief. This movie shows thirty years of love from Spielberg on the world of Tintin, with a juvenile passion that you feel right away, no doubt at all on the sincerity of the approach.
Telebruxelles:
The film is paced to perfection, funny and designed to please all audiences. A beautiful tribute to Hergé, made ​​by the duo Spielberg / Jackson, who have all the cards in their hands to hook a new generation of fans.
RTBF:
“Tintin and the Secret of the Unicorn” is an outstanding achievement.
Moustique:
When the end credits come, we realize this film could not honestly be better than what it is. Anyone from 7 to 77 years will love Tintin.

Looks amazing, can't wait to see this movie. I'm loving me some Daniel Craig as a bad guy.

Looks amazing, can't wait to see this movie. I'm loving me some Daniel Craig as a bad guy.

What? I thought Daniel Craig was doing a voiceover as Red Rackham, the pirate--is he still alive in this story?

What? I thought Daniel Craig was doing a voiceover as Red Rackham, the pirate--is he still alive in this story?

He is definitely portraying Sakharine. But, I don't know if Craig is still playing the role of Red Rackham or not.

Last edited:
Face it, Spielberg and Jackson were NOT impressed by Zemeckis's efforts except maybe Christmas Carol where Scrooge didn't look like a real life person but an unrealistic toon humanoid and Monster House was an impressive mocap human toon movie where it didn't bridge the uncanny valley. They aren't trying to replicate real life human beings here or actors, they are replicating comic characters.

Looks like uncanny valley has been conquered and do you think if Zemeckis is watching those clips, he is weeping?

God DAMN this looks good.

tumblr_lai4k4a9wG1qe0eclo1_r2_500.gif

You are...one lucky son of a b--ch.

I know, really happy im being sent to see this, ill let you guys know how it is

Though it's kind of been done before, it would be cool if the end credits featured random images from the comic strips.

Face it, Spielberg and Jackson were NOT impressed by Zemeckis's efforts except maybe Christmas Carol where Scrooge didn't look like a real life person but an unrealistic toon humanoid and Monster House was an impressive mocap human toon movie where it didn't bridge the uncanny valley. They aren't trying to replicate real life human beings here or actors, they are replicating comic characters.

Looks like uncanny valley has been conquered and do you think if Zemeckis is watching those clips, he is weeping?

Oh please , this whole Zemeckis bashing is unnecessary.
A few years ago EMPIRE magazine had did an interview with Spielberg. Amongst other things , Spielberg mentioned that he had a great deal of respect for Zemeckis because the guy has been involved in alot of groundbreaking movies. In fact they often have long discussions about the current state of making movies and the tech involved.

Zemeckis may not have had alot of success with his animated movies but then again he also was doing the best he could with the state of the technology at that time.
Spielberg is an artist like any other filmmaker out there but he's also a business man. He'll wait til lthe technology is up to the his demands in terms of quality and cost. If you look at his movies , he doesn't go all out with his budgets like say Gore Verbinski.
Gore Verbinski is a crowdpleaser but the guy's movie budgets are frikkin huge.
Pirates of the Carribean 2 cost more then 200 million and several reliable sites mentioned POTC 3 as one of the most expensive movies with a buget of 300 million.The Lone Ranger is going to be made with a budget of 215 million.

SPielberg tries to keep his film budgets at 150 million max. Indy 4 was the exception and i have no idea how much Tin TIn cost.

Going back to Zemeckis. It's fanboys who are always saying that he failed with his animated flicks whereasthe most important people in the business , people like Spielberg or Cameron , have the utmost respect for him and his work. I think we should focus on that instead of ****ing our pants and proclaim that WETA is the only studio that delivers quality work.

its true that Spielberg likes to wait until the technology is ready to be used. like for Jurasic Park and a lot of other movies.

but Zemeckis still failed.he failed. when you make a family movie with bright colors you can not freak me out with zombie faces.. and Zemeckis movies do that. he is obssesed with the idea that animators can not clean up the motion capture information from the actors. i have 100 examples where they didnt do any clean up.

Last edited:
There are a bunch more reviews coming in praising it.

SPielberg tries to keep his film budgets at 150 million max. Indy 4 was the exception and i have no idea how much Tin TIn cost.

133 million.

I do think people gave Zemeckis way too much hate for his movies. Aesthetically, they're some of the best animated films have to offer in terms of lighting, and camera movement. Yeah the faces in Polar Express or some of the other (not all) two movies aren't that great, but it doesn't distract me at least. It's weird how all anyone can talk about with those 3 movies are "dead eyes" over and over.

There a many reasons why the motion capture films under Zemeckis were not as good as or they don't looks as good as Tintin. You get what you pay for! Zemeckis' studio was in the states. The US dollar doesn't go as far as it does over seas, as it does in NZ. The cost of everything is less overseas, and the better the dollar the more employees you are able to hire, and you are able to hire the higher paid artists. You are able to stretch the dollar more in terms of research and development as well.

Sony and Rhythm & Hues have been hiring younger blood over the past few years because it's cheaper to pay them their lower salaries than paying higher salaries to more talented and experienced artists and technicians. The same goes with Sony's and R&H outsourced divisions with their cheaper and less experienced talent.

ILM over the past few years have been taken off big franchises because they are to damn expensive! The movie studios have been hiring vfx houses overseas because they charge a fraction of the cost of what ILM charges. There are some very good overseas studios, like Framestore, The Moving Picture Company (MPC), Double Negative, Animal Logic and of course Weta. Buf studios in France also deserves a nod as well.

All the top visual effects companies based in the US have outsourced a portion of their workflow to India and Singapore also Canada to survive in the global market; Digital Domain, ILM, Sony Imageworks and Rhythm & Hues. The London based Double Negative has outsourced a portion of their workflow to Singapore.

The Oscar nominated visual effects studio called The Orphanage that was based in California had to close down in 2009 because it couldn't compete in the global market.

Last edited:
There a many reasons why the motion capture films under Zemeckis were not as good as or they don't looks as good as Tintin. You get what you pay for! Zemeckis' studio was in the states. The US dollar doesn't go as far as it does over seas, as it does in NZ. The cost of everything is less overseas, and the better the dollar the more employees you are able to hire, and you are able to hire the higher paid artists. You are able to stretch the dollar more in terms of research and development as well.

Sony and Rhythm & Hues have been hiring younger blood over the past few years because it's cheaper to pay them their lower salaries than paying higher salaries to more talented and experienced artists and technicians. The same goes with Sony's and R&H outsourced divisions with their cheaper and less experienced talent.

ILM over the past few years have been taken off big franchises because they are to damn expensive! The movie studios have been hiring vfx houses overseas because they charge a fraction of the cost of what ILM charges. There are some very good overseas studios, like Framestore, The Moving Picture Company (MPC), Double Negative, Animal Logic and of course Weta. Buf studios in France also deserves a nod as well.

All the top visual effects companies based in the US have outsourced a portion of their workflow to India and Singapore also Canada to survive in the global market; Digital Domain, ILM, Sony Imageworks and Rhythm & Hues. The London based Double Negative has outsourced a portion of their workflow to Singapore.

The Oscar nominated visual effects studio called The Orphanage that was based in California had to close down in 2009 because it couldn't compete in the global market.

True.
Of course the budget aspect is something that any director or studio for that matter will consider when looking at the VFX shots to do as well as the budget being available.
I dunno if ILM is taken off a few big projects, after all they still were the main vendors on the TF movies , POTC movies as well being studio responsible for creating the bulk of the shots for Avengers. I think it's more a case of them just being to handle a few movies at a time.
Take a look a WETA. Something like Avatar is just so huge for them , that they aren't able to handle any other big shots for other movies. TO my knowledge the only movie they worked on during the time when they were doing Avatar , was District 9/ ANd specifically the shots of the mothership and mecha battle at the end.

Most movies these days simply don't have alot of R&D time to create shots , it's simply more a case of the FX studios simply building on what they have done in the past and improving on the time to deliver those shots. WHen WETA was doing AVatar , they basically spent a whole year doing R&D , which these days is just unheard of , rethinking every single VFX technique.
Zemeckis was constantly experimenting with his animated movies and improving the animation techniques. Yet it still just wasn't up to the level of what the audience wanted.
I remember watching Beowulf in 2007 and constantly removing my 3-d glasses because of eye strain. Fastforward to 2009 and 2010 and i'm watching AVatar and How to Train Your Dragon with no headache whatsoever.
They way i view Zemeckis's work is that he had a vision of where he wanted to go with his movies and with each improvement he made a new movie. JUst moving closer to that vision.

The problem is that left Zemeckis with a lot of films hardly anybody wants to watch.

Also, Total Film didn't like it. They don't give any real reasons though, beyond bias against motion capture.

3 stars is still positive. I didn't read all of it, but I don't get the point in still asking the question why motion capture. It's been answered.

Every other review has praised its visuals and lack of uncanny valley. Majority of French reviews are highly positive. Sucks we have to wait two more months.

The 90s animated adaption of the two "Unicorn" albums are deeply rooted in my childhood and I love them so very much to this day. Though I gotta say a huge part of that is the Swedish voice-acting. Will feel weird to hear other voices.

Still stoked though, I think the animation looks fantastic, very faithful but still with a freshness to it. Trying to make Tintin live-action or too photo-realistic would have been a horrible mistake imo.

I also hope this movie makes alot more people discover these great stories.

I hope they make "Shooting Star" next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"