Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Blue Eyes actually called Blue Eyes in the film? Because I remember, everyone was calling him River. I actually think River is a better name than Blue Eyes

Is Blue Eyes actually called Blue Eyes in the film? Because I remember, everyone was calling him River. I actually think River is a better name than Blue Eyes

I don't remember anyone calling him River, only blue eyes.

Koba is more ruthless than Magneto, IMO. They have somewhat similar backstories, but Koba IMO is even more extreme and hateful than Erik.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are saying he's not a true villain. I get that he was abused by humans and had good reason to be hateful/distrustful towards them.

However, most great villains have tragic backstories, as do most great heroes. How a character moves forward after their pain or suffering is what defines them, though, and Koba went about everything in completely malicious and villainous ways. He let his hate consume him, as most villains do.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are saying he's not a true villain. I get that he was abused by humans and had good reason to be hateful/distrustful towards them.

However, most great villains have tragic backstories, as do most great heroes. How a character moves forward after their pain or suffering is what defines them, though, and Koba went about everything in completely malicious and villainous ways. He let his hate consume him, as most villains do.

This.

The scene of Cesear watching the old video of he and Will...was that filmed specifically for this movie?

I don't recall if that video was in Rises. Did Franco actually come back to film that piece?

Back in 2012 Franco discussed that at one point in time he was going to come back and shoot some footage for a video appearance in what was going to be Rupert Wyatts second Apes film, but he says then that it didn't happen.

That interview is here. http://www.mtv.com/news/1699006/james-franco-lindsay-lohan-rem-blue-video/

Earlier this year, Franco describes not being asked for permission to be included in the new film. http://www.mtv.com/news/1699006/james-franco-lindsay-lohan-rem-blue-video/

Its possible they went for the same originally planned video appearance and used a left over unused thing for the first film, or it may be possible that Franco filmed the video appearance for Wyatt and then didn't know they still used it once Wyatt left.

If anything the whole "not a true villain" thing applies much more to Gary Oldman's character though he was certainly an antagonist.

BOM has it at $27.7M for Friday and is predicting a $71M OW.

Good to see this come in on the higher end of tracking.

I've been comparing it to similarly sized films(Maleficent, ST1 and STID) and if it does as well as I think it can then the uppermost limit it can reach on OW would be just shy of $80M. Now I don't expect everything to go it's way like that but I maintain that my initial $75M guess will happen. I can see it getting a 5% bump today and having a $29M Saturday and dropping 22% of so for a Sunday in the $22M range. If those play out it'd be around $77-78M.

I think its more accurate to give it a small bump without the previews. So Saturday might be something closer to $24-25M.

Great movie, but hands-down the single worst theater experience of my life. I am beside myself with rage.

Post credit scene? I just want to know because I am going with some of my friends and they hate staying after the credits for films.

Yeah, I had a shockingly large amount of teenagers at my showing last night, never a good sign.

So does anyone know why they specifically chose Charles Burns' "Black Hole" graphic novel to be featured so prominently, with Alex and Maurice bonding through reading it?

The book does feature a group of weirdos living in the woods together but really thematically or image wise I'm not seeing much of a connection with it in this film. I mean Black Hole is great so I won't complain.

Also, the final track in Giacchino's score was called "Aint that a Stinger..." That man is a damn troll.

I just think it would be a great book to show the apes the various levels of human artistic expression and how misunderstood we can be.

I rarely go on opening weekend anymore because of all the dick heads in the audience.

Anyone think this story could easily be reused if they want to do a story about Pilgrims and Native Americans? Because really the apes could stand in for any tribal culture whereas man represents the modern world.

The apes could represent any socially or politically repressed group.

I like to think of them as the modern underclass.

I didn't notice the parallels between Orwell's Animal Farm until I saw it mentioned in a brief, review excerpt on RT.

Yeah there were implications that Koba felt Caesar thought he was better due to his thoughts on humans.

Koba is more ruthless than Magneto, IMO. They have somewhat similar backstories, but Koba IMO is even more extreme and hateful than Erik.

I'm not so sure.

Koba wanted to cage humans. Magneto has attempted to wipe them out completely.

I'm not so sure.

Koba wanted to cage humans. Magneto has attempted to wipe them out completely.

I think it's also a matter of how they carry themselves. Magneto is a charismatic speaker.. things Koba obviously is not. So he appears more ruthless by default.

Great film. My favorite of the year. Even better than X-Men, which was my previous fave this year. Great performances by everyone.

Details, please. :ninja:
I don't even know where to start.

A large group of teenagers/young adults came in last minute and went to the back row. For the first hour of the movie they kept getting up and walking up and down the stairs, sometimes going into the hallway. Talking and laughing the whole time. Several people got up to report it to management, but they didn't really leave until one dude lost his **** and threw his beverage at the wall and was about to beat one of the guys' asses. Meanwhile the girls in the group actually had the nerve to be like, "Why you trying to start ****?" To which several patrons (myself included) shouted, "Just ****ing leave." Figures that a security guard showed up after they had already left, but at least it stayed quiet after that.

They had to have snuck in, because I simply cannot believe that someone would pay $15 to sit in a dark movie theater and do what they could do outside and for free. Otherwise they are essentially paying to ruin other people's enjoyment, which is borderline sociopathic. How ****ing self-absorbed do you have to be to treat a large group of complete and total strangers like that?

What else? Someone brought a baby, everybody had their cell phone out, the lights came on halfway through the movie for about ten minutes, and one of the speaker systems was producing a very loud crackling noise for the majority of the film, which try as I might to ignore it, I could not.

I'm not confrontational, and I don't like to make a point of complaining, but I tracked down the theater manager and told him I was never coming back to that venue again. There is nothing worse than spending a decent amount of money on something you are excited about, only to be surrounded by people who go out of their way to be inconsiderate.

Last edited:
Jesus. I feel your pain. That sounds awful. I hate teenagers in movie theaters.

They had to have snuck in, because I simply cannot believe that someone would play $15 to sit in a dark movie theater and do what they could do outside and for free. Otherwise they are essentially paying to ruin other people's enjoyment, which is borderline sociopathic. How ****ed self-absorbed do you have to be to treat a large group of complete and total strangers like that?

One of the most boggling things to me are the people who spend their $15... buy $30+ worth of expensive movie snacks... and arrive late and talk through the film. I mean, you'd think someone spending THAT much freaking cash on a film would want to pay attention...

I had a similar experience with some dbag teenagers when I saw X-Men: First Class.

In my experience, most of the kids these days are absolute morons.

They're often a problem for me. But it's definitely when they sneak in that they're at their worst... like everything Boom posted. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"