• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really felt for Blue Eyes in this film, young kid getting mixed up in a war thinking he was doing the right thing, only to see the reality of war and the true intentions of Koba.

Yeah same, the emotions and problems in this film among the apes were so well done.

I f'n love this film,Bring on a part 3 now

Box Office Estimates from Deadline.com:

1). Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (FOX), 3,967 theaters / $26M to $27M Friday
3-day cume: $68M to $70M / Wk 1
2). Transformers: Age of Extinction (PAR), 3,913 theaters (-320) / $4.46M Fri.
3-day est. cume: $14M to $15.8M (-58%) / Total est. cume: $207M / Wk 3
3). Tammy (WB), 3,465 theaters (0) / $3.73M Fri.
3-day cume: $11.5M to $12M (-46%) / Total cume: $56.3M / Wk 2
4). How to Train Your Dragon 2 (FOX), 2,885 theaters (-412) / $1.6M to $1.7M Fri.
3-day cume: $5.4M / Total cume: $151.5M (-39%) / Wk 5
5/6). Earth to Echo (REL), 3,230 theaters (0) / $1.6M to $1.7M Fri.
3-day cume: $5.5M to $5.6M (-33%) / Total cume: $24.8M / Wk
22 Jump Street (SONY), 2,811 theaters (-513) / $1.95M Fri.
3-day cume: $6M (-44%)/ Total cume: $170.8M / Wk 5
7). Deliver Us From Evil (SONY), 3,049 theaters (0) / $1.3M Fri.
3-day cume: $4.2M (-57%) /Total cume: $24.5M / Wk 2
8). Maleficent (DIS), 2,077 theaters (-312) / $1.1M Fri.
3-day cume: $3.9M (-35%) / Total cume: $221.8M / Wk 7
9). Begin Again (TWC), 939 theaters (+764) / $803K Fri.
3-day cume: $2.91M (+132%) / Total cume: $5.3M / Wk 3
10). Jersey Boys (WB) 1,968 theaters (-662) / $737K Fri.
3-day cume: $2.5M (-51%) / Total cume: $41.7M / Wk 4

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/box...oyhood/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This was great. Man, this summer has just been great in general so far. Winter Soldier, DOFP, Edge of Tomorrow and now this. My only criticism is that it drags a bit in the third act but other than that from top to bottom, the screenplay, the directing, my God, the directing. I almost don't want Reeves to do the next film because I want to see what he can do with other movies. He should be mentioned in the same breath as Abrams. I'd love to see him take on Star Wars.

It's cool to see a movie where Serkis gets top billing and rightfully so. This is how you do human drama in the midst of its title characters. There was no clear identifiable bad guy and I loved that. Koba and Dreyfuss perhaps but like Magneto, there is a sad truth and reason as to why they acted the way they did. You never hated them and understood their cause. They were more tragic than anything. I believed in the apes. They were just as human as the actual humans, if not more so.

DOFP is still my favorite for the summer so far, but it's between this and Winter Soldier for number two. Needless to say, I have to see this again. 9/10

And Michael Giacchino needs to score everything.

Last edited:
Watched this severely jetlagged and that may have been a mistake as it gave me a piercing headache. I disliked the musical score, it sounded like a bunch of vuvuzelas.

I still liked the movie, but not as much as I liked the last one. My favourite part was when Caeser made them stop at his old home.

You know you're living in the future when a digitally created ape can give you the feels.

digitally created things started giving me feels back when animation started.

Can anyone tell me if ash was rockets kid?

I liked Michael's score, as it hearkened back to that somewhat kitschy yet dark tone a lot of 60s movie scores had. Also, that money shot at the end was basically WETA saying, "yeah, this is what we can do." I don't wanna hear any more "CG doesn't look real" commentary after that.

This was great. Man, this summer has just been great in general so far. Winter Soldier, DOFP, Edge of Tomorrow and now this. My only criticism is that it drags a bit in the third act but other than that from top to bottom, the screenplay, the directing, my God, the directing. I almost don't want Reeves to do the next film because I want to see what he can do with other movies. He should be mentioned in the same breath as Abrams. I'd love to see him take on Star Wars.

It's cool to see a movie where Serkis gets top billing and rightfully so. This is how you do human drama in the midst of its title characters. There was no clear identifiable bad guy and I loved that. Koba and Dreyfuss perhaps but like Magneto, there is a sad truth and reason as to why they acted the way they did. You never hated them and understood their cause. They were more tragic than anything. I believed in the apes. They were just as human as the actual humans, if not more so.

DOFP is still my favorite for the summer so far, but it's between this and Winter Soldier for number two. Needless to say, I have to see this again. 9/10

And Michael Giacchino needs to score everything.

Agreed. I'd love to see him do SW. And I'll bet Giacchino does VIII and IX.

But as for Koba:

I don't see Koba in the same fold as Magneto. Though they both have tragic back story, Magneto would only kill mutants that tried to outright stop him. What Koba did to Ash is something I would not see Magneto doing. Koba was just purely consumed in hatred. Even Charles has hope for Eric. Caesar knows that Koba won't change. Hence one of the best lines: "You are not an ape." He's a monster through and through. I do see his standpoint for what humans did to him, but he just went beyond overboard in my eyes. Anyways that's how I saw it.

I did not think Dreyfus was actually bad at any point. He never deliberately wanted to hurt the Apes. Only until Koba attacked did he get angry. I would say Carver (the Hydro-Engineer) was more of a Koba like individual.

Last edited:
Koba is more ruthless than Magneto, IMO. They have somewhat similar backstories, but Koba IMO is even more extreme and hateful than Erik.

Koba is one of the most fascinating characters that I've seen in a movie in years. WETA and Kebbel did a fantastic job bringing him to life.

So does anyone know why they specifically chose Charles Burns' "Black Hole" graphic novel to be featured so prominently, with Alex and Maurice bonding through reading it?

The book does feature a group of weirdos living in the woods together but really thematically or image wise I'm not seeing much of a connection with it in this film. I mean Black Hole is great so I won't complain.

Also, the final track in Giacchino's score was called "Aint that a Stinger..." That man is a damn troll.

Last edited:
Man, the effects in the 2011 film were great but a bit inconsistent.

In this movie WETA basically just said, "Look everyone, we can just do whatever the hell we want."

The movement and performance they were able to imbue into these digital characters was again top notch. In the first film though you could tell a lot of time just went into making it look like the apes physically existed. In this though they were able to run on all cylinders and have so much detail. The individual hairs reflecting the light in many scenes, the things you wouldn't normally think about, really helped to sell these creatures. But again, it was the animation and motion capture that really got them across. I often felt that I would be able to understand Maurice even without subtitles.

Last edited:
He was.

Ash was the one that got shot by Carver. And Koba screamed at Rocket about them shooting his son.

I was told that he was but I lost track of it. I must have missed the subtitles as the start that tied it down. Then there was the lack of follow up during the later scenes in which such things could have been played up(3rd act).
I seriously thought the initial gun shot would have some greater if not lasting physical effect.

I dug this movie, though I really really liked the first one.
Great little arcs in their for the ape leads. Koba started off in a very sustainable place, then...the humans showed up. Caesar learned a thing or two, his son..

Wasn't so impressed with the human 'work' in this movie however, storywise that is, a little to one note in it's screen time and motivations. This is probably where I end up enjoying the first film more. This and the red shirt in the zoo stuff.

I was told that he was but I lost track of it. I must have missed the subtitles as the start that tied it down. Then there was the lack of follow up during the later scenes in which such things could have been played up(3rd act).
I seriously thought the initial gun shot would have some greater if not lasting physical effect.

I dug this movie, though I really really liked the first one.
Great little arcs in their for the ape leads. Koba started off in a very sustainable place, then...the humans showed up. Caesar learned a thing or two, his son..

Wasn't so impressed with the human 'work' in this movie however, storywise that is, a little to one note in it's screen time and motivations. This is probably where I end up enjoying the first film more. This and the red shirt in the zoo stuff.

Koba tried several times to pull Rocket to his side citing Ash being shot.

Anyone think this story could easily be reused if they want to do a story about Pilgrims and Native Americans? Because really the apes could stand in for any tribal culture whereas man represents the modern world.

The scene of Cesear watching the old video of he and Will...was that filmed specifically for this movie?

I don't recall if that video was in Rises. Did Franco actually come back to film that piece?

I haven't seen Rise in a long time, but i assume it's from some un-used footage from that movie.

Koba tried several times to pull Rocket to his side citing Ash being shot.

Yes I remember those scenes, just not [BLACKOUT]**Ash**[/BLACKOUT] being mentioned and or pointed out. Just '[BLACKOUT]shot your son[/BLACKOUT]'
I actually assumed the son died:csad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"