Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Part 2

Well, I'm not saying it should be a ****ing carbon copy. :o

I got this on Christmas and thought it was pretty good. I hope the sequel shows a war between the humans and apes. They should have some kind of civil war between the apes to. One side lead by Caesar and the other lead by Koba.

Thats definately going to be one aspect of the sequel, its even said on the blu-ray special features and I cant wait to see it play out as Koba looked an evil bastard.

The other will obviously be the human plague thats about to infect the world.

Just finished watching Escape, Conquest and Battle. I've never seen those 3.

It's interesting that those movies suggest that the events that take place in the original movie might not happen....it's especially suggested in 'Battle'. With the theory that time is like a highway with different lanes, and that Caesars learning that the Earth would be destroyed (as shown at the end of Beneath), from his mothers recordings would take steps not to let it happen that way. Although, they did show the 'Apha/Omega' bomb from Beaneath in Battle.

It seems that when Cornelius and Zira go back in time and have Caesar, they create this time loop that can be changed....

This series has it all. Cool sci fi imagery with time travel, astronauts landing on an unknown and hostile place, unparalleled drama and strong sociopolitical themes. I can only compare it to Star Trek for making such a strong impact in peoples imagination and fill them with emotions.

Last edited:
I think they could potentially wrap their trilogy up with telling their version of the Icarus shuttle crash landing onto the future Earth after the Apes have civilized.

This movie ranked #18 on my top movies of 2011. I saw it in theaters almost three times and I'm looking forward to see how they handle the series from this point on...

I think Icarus was just a nod to the original, nothing more.

I don't think so. They went out of their way to also show us that the Icarus had also been lost in space. Clearly they're trying to connect Rise with the events of the original movie.

To add;

I don't think the Burton film is as bad a people make it out to be. Take out some of the corny dialgoue ("can't we all just get along":doh:) and you have a pretty solid ape film. I was actually hoping we would get a sequel based off of it by the way the movie ended, and all...

It'll be interesting to see if they mention anything more about Icarus. It was my understanding that this movie was a prequel/re-telling/reboot and not necessarily connected to the previous movies.

That was my understanding as well. I'm not entirely sure we'll hear anymore about Icarus. I really didn't think it was more than just a cool nod to the originals.

Although, I wouldn't mind a sequel down the road showing the ship returning to an Earth dominated by apes. I don't think we need to see that in the next sequel, though. I want to see this group of apes come to power.

Well the Icarus doesn't return to Earth for several thousand years, so there's no real need to mention it per say. Especially with all the turmoil going on on Earth with the virus. I can see the next film staged in a world kinda like The Walking Dead, where basically everything has gone to ****. And hardly anything, Technology wise, is still up and running. So i can see NASA completely abandoned.

The Rise timeline obviously deviates for the other Apes sequels timeline which states that Apes rose because they were enslaved by humns, due to a virus wiping out all the humans pets like cats, dogs, etc....

Just watched this and thought it was awesome. Andy Serkis seriously deserves some recognition.

are the special features any good?... particularly about the vfx?.. is it just a 5min thing that they glaze over? or is it a really in depth thing like King Kong special features?

Well the Icarus doesn't return to Earth for several thousand years, so there's no real need to mention it per say. Especially with all the turmoil going on on Earth with the virus. I can see the next film staged in a world kinda like The Walking Dead, where basically everything has gone to ****. And hardly anything, Technology wise, is still up and running. So i can see NASA completely abandoned.

The Rise timeline obviously deviates for the other Apes sequels timeline which states that Apes rose because they were enslaved by humns, due to a virus wiping out all the humans pets like cats, dogs, etc....

Yes and No.
(Geek Alert)
Rise is more of a pre-quel to the original. The events that occur with the Caesar from Conquest of PotA are by way of Cornelius and Zira coming back in time, thereby creating a different time line. Rise is possibly depicting the original time line that Taylor was from. The same concept that Star Trek and the Terminator sequels took. If that is indeed the case, then you are right, we won't see Taylor in this series of films because that is thousands of years after Caesar.

The only film that doesn't fit in is Burton's movie (thank God). It was a straight out re-make where as all the other Apes films seem to be connected. It's funny to see that even the special features on the Rise disc acknowledge all the other films, but ignore Burton's movie.

After watching Rise again, it does stand up as my 2nd favorite of the series, behind the orginal.

Just finished watching Escape, Conquest and Battle. I've never seen those 3.

It's interesting that those movies suggest that the events that take place in the original movie might not happen....it's especially suggested in 'Battle'. With the theory that time is like a highway with different lanes, and that Caesars learning that the Earth would be destroyed (as shown at the end of Beneath), from his mothers recordings would take steps not to let it happen that way. Although, they did show the 'Apha/Omega' bomb from Beaneath in Battle.

It seems that when Cornelius and Zira go back in time and have Caesar, they create this time loop that can be changed....

Ah, looks like you had that concept already.

Last edited:
Just watched it again tonight. My buddy and I had a steak and Apes marathon. Very, very cool.

I saw this movie last night. It was pretty damn good! The CGI was really convincing at times, especially on the orangutan.

I think some of those comparisons are a bit of a stretch...

Any chance someone here can make an GIF out of a particular scene in the movie:
the Shocked Gorilla when he hears Caesar speak
LOL, I was literally thinking about that. That was a great WTF moment if I've ever seen one.

I'm gonna try and make that GIF when I get home.. :p

I watching Redlettermedia and they brought up a very good point regarding the movie. The love interest is Asain and the big bad guy is a black, British bussiness man. Thats good isn't it? Well, apart from the Asain lady basically having no real purpose. Other than that, nice it isn't generic white girl with old white Texan type guy for once.

Well, Brian Cox being secretly nefarious couldn't have been a shock to anyone. :D

I watching Redlettermedia and they brought up a very good point regarding the movie. The love interest is Asain and the big bad guy is a black, British bussiness man. Thats good isn't it? Well, apart from the Asain lady basically having no real purpose. Other than that, nice it isn't generic white girl with old white Texan type guy for once.
She's served a purpose as being the audience and providing a bit of a cautionary tale and a secondary human emotional outlet for Franco's character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"