Grayskull: Masters of the Universe - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could do this right by taking the 2002 series as inspiration, which massively expanded and legitimized the mythology of the original series. Then, once they've done that and it's a hit, I'll pray to the gods for live action adaptations of Thundercats, Centurions, Bravestarr, Bionic Six, M.A.S.K., Dungeons & Dragons etc..........

Yes please. :up:

My main worry about a He-Man film is that it will become (depending on budget) a CGi fantasy sword fest like so many forgettable ones which have come before. Think Gods of Egypt, The Scorpion King, Immortals, etc. Always featuring a near-naked muscled male lead with a sword. Not always awful films as such, but not really memorable.

I think the MOTU premise has the potential to be much more epic in scope if handled properly. I'd love to see Eternia presented as a vast land with peaceful tranquil areas where Adam and co live, and darker more dangerous areas where Skeletor and Grayskull reside. Think of the vast variety of locations in the Lord of the Rings films for example and how their aesthetics were all so unalike.
Can't argue with that.

I enjoy my share of mindless fight movies but I would like for a new MOTU to aim higher, to be more than just a mindlessly colorful fight movie.

In other words, don't turn MOTU into Bayformers.

I hope they have more characters beyond just He-Man, Man-at-Arms, Teela, Sorceress, Skeletor, Evil Lyn and Beastman like the 1987 film. They need to show us more of the classic heroic and evil warriors. No inventing people like Saurod or Blade.

They can't overstuffed it either. They will have to pull a transformers and give us a few on each side at first.

But not all of them need equal development. If they have a full scale battle, they can have some of these warriors in the background or in small cameo roles, as long as we get to see them. If they featured the original 12 that used to be shown on the backs of the cards I'd be happy with that. They could probably miss out the likes of Zodak though.

I hope they have more characters beyond just He-Man, Man-at-Arms, Teela, Sorceress, Skeletor, Evil Lyn and Beastman like the 1987 film. They need to show us more of the classic heroic and evil warriors. No inventing people like Saurod or Blade.

I get what you mean - I remember as a kid I was so let down that Stratos wasnt in the movie.

This is an interesting read - explains why Saurod was in the movie, and why other established characters wer not.

http://www.motumovie.com/2010/02/q-with-director-gary-goddard.html?m=1.

orko is a must...trapjaw and cyclopz too....turn it into a franchise and lead to mer.man and later hordak and she-ra

You can't have too many characters in a first movie. If it's only going to be 105 minutes to 2+ hours, you can only have so much screentime.

Here's what the movie definitely needs.

1. Prince Adam and Sword transformation
2. Orko
3. Hordak appearances (not major villain but setup for later)
4. Man-at-Arms as He-Man/Adam's Yoda/Obi-Wan Kenobi mentor
5. Completely set on Grayskull. No planet Earth
6. Take inspiration from the mini-comics and the 200x animated series. IMHO those should be the biggest sources of inspiration.

If you look at the early mini-comics, they are basically just illustrated short, pulp adventure stories. So try to combine that with some of the storytelling basic rebooting of the 200x animated series. The 200x animated series basically acknowledged all the previous stories but just reset the continuity, so there was on cohesive backstory and origin for Grayskull and all the parties involved.

Why do I like He-Man so much? Well for starters, I like that it almost has this look of like Conan the Barbarian. It's like old school Hyborean age fantasy, but it still has sci-fi elements mixed in. There's interstellar travel. There's technology and vehicles. That juxtaposition is so interesting to me. I think you can do a lot of fun stuff with that.

My issue though is that He-Man is a product of the 80s, and if they make a new movie that say is faithful to the source material, people will complain it doesn't adhere to their values. I'm not sure how you update it and make it relevant to modern audiences and get them to accept it as is.

I get what you mean - I remember as a kid I was so let down that Stratos wasnt in the movie.

This is an interesting read - explains why Saurod was in the movie, and why other established characters wer not.

http://www.motumovie.com/2010/02/q-with-director-gary-goddard.html?m=1.

I didn't know he'd co-created Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. That brings back memories.

You can't have too many characters in a first movie. If it's only going to be 105 minutes to 2+ hours, you can only have so much screentime.

Here's what the movie definitely needs.

1. Prince Adam and Sword transformation
2. Orko
3. Hordak appearances (not major villain but setup for later)
4. Man-at-Arms as He-Man/Adam's Yoda/Obi-Wan Kenobi mentor
5. Completely set on Grayskull. No planet Earth
6. Take inspiration from the mini-comics and the 200x animated series. IMHO those should be the biggest sources of inspiration.

If you look at the early mini-comics, they are basically just illustrated short, pulp adventure stories. So try to combine that with some of the storytelling basic rebooting of the 200x animated series. The 200x animated series basically acknowledged all the previous stories but just reset the continuity, so there was on cohesive backstory and origin for Grayskull and all the parties involved.

Why do I like He-Man so much? Well for starters, I like that it almost has this look of like Conan the Barbarian. It's like old school Hyborean age fantasy, but it still has sci-fi elements mixed in. There's interstellar travel. There's technology and vehicles. That juxtaposition is so interesting to me. I think you can do a lot of fun stuff with that.

My issue though is that He-Man is a product of the 80s, and if they make a new movie that say is faithful to the source material, people will complain it doesn't adhere to their values. I'm not sure how you update it and make it relevant to modern audiences and get them to accept it as is.

The 200x animated series lasted from August, 2002 to January, 2004.

Here's a question: should He-Man have a hairy chest, or should he have that smooth look like Dolph Lundgren sported and which Arnold Schwarzenegger also had for Conan, which is more synonymous with a body builder look?

I can understand why they would go for that approach as it shows of his muscles better, but would a barbarian look like that? I'm guessing they probably will go for the shaved chest approach since we've never seen He-Man with a hairy chest in any medium.

He-Man isn't exactly a barbian though, isn't he a prince?

Here's a question: should He-Man have a hairy chest, or should he have that smooth look like Dolph Lundgren sported and which Arnold Schwarzenegger also had for Conan, which is more synonymous with a body builder look?

I can understand why they would go for that approach as it shows of his muscles better, but would a barbarian look like that? I'm guessing they probably will go for the shaved chest approach since we've never seen He-Man with a hairy chest in any medium.

He's the alter ego of a young prince and also technically a supernatural being so shaved is probably more plausible.

God, how did I get sucked into this? :o

He-Man isn't exactly a barbian though, isn't he a prince?

Well he was a barbarian in the very early mini comics before the Prince Adam persona was created.

But even if he isn't one in the strictest sense of the word, he's still a bit like one when he's He-Man. He's certainly a warrior.

Henry Cavill's Superman has a hairy chest. Would it be fitting for He-Man to have one, or should he go for more of the bodybuilder look?

He should have a hairy chest if it means differentiating him from the likes of Thor, Conan, etc. I want He-Man to stand on his own and I want the creators to add differences that give these characters enough uniqueness to stand on their own.

As far as characters for the first film, all we really need are:

Prince Adam/He-Man
Teela
Man-At-Arms
The King and Queen
The Sorceress
Meckaneck
Cringer
Orko

Skeletor
Evil-Lyn
Beastman
Trap-Jaw
Merman
Panthor?

You could get them to accept it as is and make another in the vein of the GI Joe flicks. Know your niche and stick to it.

You could get them to accept it as is and make another in the vein of the GI Joe flicks. Know your niche and stick to it.

No. The GI Joe films were not very successful and they were terribly reviewed. The last GI Joe movie came out in 2013, and there isn't another one in sight. They were lucky to get that one sequel in 2013. Even the producer admitted franchise was on the bubble when they got the sequel. Paramount turned down DJ Caruso's pitch for a third movie too.

GI Joe is not the template to go by here.

I didn't know he'd co-created Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. That brings back memories.

The 200x animated series lasted from August, 2002 to January, 2004.

I'm well aware. 200x is the nickname for that series by MOTU fandom.

No. The GI Joe films were not very successful and they were terribly reviewed. The last GI Joe movie came out in 2013, and there isn't another one in sight. They were lucky to get that one sequel in 2013. Even the producer admitted franchise was on the bubble when they got the sequel. Paramount turned down DJ Caruso's pitch for a third movie too.

GI Joe is not the template to go by here.
It's an absurdly ridiculous hodgepodge premise and there's not really an audience insert element to accept all the outlandish parts as is. That's why GI Joe was my go-to even though they tried to make Duke and Ripcord as the ones learning about all this wackiness for the 1st one.

You could do it semi-serious animated if parodying the show in live-action doesn't end up being the most sensible approach.
"As is", just also comes across as a recipe for those failed February fantasy flicks.

He should have a hairy chest if it means differentiating him from the likes of Thor, Conan, etc. I want He-Man to stand on his own and I want the creators to add differences that give these characters enough uniqueness to stand on their own.

As far as characters for the first film, all we really need are:

Prince Adam/He-Man
Teela
Man-At-Arms
The King and Queen
The Sorceress
Meckaneck
Cringer
Orko

Skeletor
Evil-Lyn
Beastman
Trap-Jaw
Merman
Panthor?

Why do we particularly need Meckaneck? We could easily do with Stratos.

And Tri-Klops is Skeletor's weapon maker and tactician, isn't he? I'd say he would be quite essential.

Stratos and Ram Man, I think. Ram Man kinda reminds me of the dwarves from LOTR and Hobbit.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Ram Man. Might be cool if he was even used by Skeletor against He-Man originally, as in those mini comics (He-Man meets Ram Man). He could switch sides.

And what about Man-E-Faces?

I think the 2002 cartoon is a good place to start with a starting roster.

Well what has always been a perfect trilogy in my head, is what I would love to see play out on the big screen:

Movie 1---sets up a bit of Eternia's past, King Grayskull and the power passed down, Keldor becoming Skeletor, Prince Adam discovering his destiny, battle of the Masters vs. the forces of Skeletor, alluding to Hordak and King Hsss.

Heroes
Adam/He-man
Cringer/Battlecat
Man-At-Arms
Teela
Stratos
Orko
Ram Man

w/ appearances by King Randor and Queen Marlena and of course the Sorceress

Villains
Skeletor
Panthor
Evil-Lyn
Beast Man
Kobra Khan (to set up the release of King Hsss and the Snake Men)
Trap Jaw
Mer-Man
Tri-Klops

Post Credit: Khan finds the means to release the Snake Men

Movie 2---Snake Men history and battle with the Horde, still establishing that the Horde is the ultimate threat but the Sorceress warns that if King Hsss gets freed, he may unleash Sserpos the Snake God on Eternia (we find out that its Snake Mountain).
Skeletor's rule is threatened but realizes that based on his visions, that Hordak's return is near and perhaps a team up with King Hsss may be necessary to stop the Evil Horde's return

He-man seeks out Zodak and summons forth additional aid in the form of the
additional heroes (fill in the blank of who you wish to see)

Sorceress is having dreams of Adora...

Movie 3---The Horde finally arrives on Eternia commanded by the Dark Warlord Hordak, along for the ride is Mantenna, Leech, Shadow Weaver, Grizzlor, Modulok, Catra, Force Captain Adora and Imp...Horde Prime is briefly seen in a secret chamber sort of like Darth Vader bowing to Palpatine, Prime is the god of the Horde.
All out war arrives as all forces take on each other...
Adora learns her destiny and becomes She-Ra
May need to be a two-parter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"