BvS How Would People Feel About a Zack Snyder Batman Movie?

Wait.

I thought he was already directing a Batman movie. You mean Superman is in this thing too? :D

Wait.

I thought he was already directing a Batman movie. You mean Superman is in this thing too? :D

1861-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

I'm a huge fan of Zack Snyder,

But I don't want the DCCU to be like the MCU, where every movie feels the same. I think it would be better if a range of directors and writers were hired to build the DC universe, so that parts of it feel distinct from one another.

Do you think the MCU feels the same? Idk man, a lot of the MCU movies feel tonally inconsistent, especially if it's a director that replaced someone (for instance, TDW felt tonally different than Thor, and IM2 and 3 felt nothing like IM1).

I've never gotten the impression that Snyder doesn't care for Superman at all, especially in his interviews. And quite honestly, when he speaks about the character, he comes across as more knowledgeable and sensible than a good chunk of fanboys.

Agreed. A lot of people cite interviews where Snyder says "awesome" as if he's a teen, but somehow forgot that Snyder has had interviews where he goes in depth about Superman. He's not a crazed adolescent as some people here have stated.

A Snyder-Batman movie? No thanks. I think Warner Bros needs to show a bit more scope when it comes to their movies.

I've never gotten the impression that Snyder doesn't care for Superman at all, especially in his interviews. And quite honestly, when he speaks about the character, he comes across as more knowledgeable and sensible than a good chunk of fanboys.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I think Snyder is just as big a fan of comics as we are and so he knows how to speak our language. I too read all the interviews leading up to Man of Steel. Every single one. I never got the impression that Snyder was knowledgeable about Superman (and if we're giving credit where credit is due, then I would give all credit to Goyer on knowledge of the character, his history and his most popular story lines). I've read interviews with Snyder in the past about not knowing how to bring Superman into the modern world, and quite frankly, his bias for darker stories and characters and his love of Frank Miller always came across loud and clear. So much so, that i got the distinct impression before he was announced for MOS (based on his statements and body of work) that he had no interest in Superman.

That's my backup for agreeing with Kevin Smith on why Snyder took the gig. That, and the fact that a stable property like Superman must have seemed appealing at that point in time for his career. I don't mean to be cynical, just realistic. We all know Hollywood can be a less than honest place - and in this day and age, I think directors and writers understand that the story behind the making of a film based on one of our beloved characters is almost as important as the final product. As fans, we want to feel like we have the best people on the job, and one of the ways of making us feel that way is when the people in charge come out and say things like "I love this character. He/she's the greatest ever and I can't wait to show the world how awesome our vision for him/her is."

I don't meant to be disrespectful, but what about Snyder's interviews came across to you as anything other than generic fanboy enthusiasm for working on a superhero property? What made it specific enough to you to make you feel, "Ok, this guy totally gets Superman!"?

I don't think he's earned it. You don't get to pick up a solo Bat film after Chris Nolan turned it into a two billion dollar trilogy with a major oscar under it's belt, not if you are Zack Snyder.

Ben Affleck on the other hand...

I agree with everything you're saying, and as much as I enjoy Batman it's Superman I love first and foremost. But I think it comes down to adaptation. That old adage of being able to adapt something for a different medium is more important than I think comic fans realize. Nolan was able to take Batman and his mythos and shape it to fit film in a way we hadn't seen before and that worked for the medium. I feel like Snyder, more or less, is great at translating what we already know into what we already know, but on screen.

No please.

I like Snyder but his directing style doesn't really fit a solo Batman movie.

Just let Ben Affleck direct Ben Affleck in the solo

Yeah. His Rorschach had a lot of Batman in him...too much again. Snyder's love of Batman creeping over even into Watchmen. The voice was evident of that.

How myself and many visualized Rorschach as sounding was like how he sounds in the Motion comics. Fits the description for his character better and the way he is written. Not "he's a tough ass who I think is like Batman so we'll give him a Batman voice...oh, oh, and let's have him eat a kid's ear yeeeaaahhhh awsuuuummm!!!". Snyder again misses the point.

But the point here is he would be great for Batman. The best thing is it's already been done so many times and he likes how it's been done so he'll just follow that formula somewhat and give us a pretty safe yet kick ass Batman movie and maybe just get it out of his system. He can have Batman start to snap Joker's neck and Joker finish it all the way, maybe...or just have Batman do it himself. So DKR, much win for Snyder. :D

Yeah. His Rorschach had a lot of Batman in him...too much again. Snyder's love of Batman creeping over even into Watchmen. The voice was evident of that.

How myself and many visualized Rorschach as sounding was like how he sounds in the Motion comics. Fits the description for his character better and the way he is written. Not "he's a tough ass who I think is like Batman so we'll give him a Batman voice...oh, oh, and let's have him eat a kid's ear yeeeaaahhhh awsuuuummm!!!". Snyder again misses the point.

But the point here is he would be great for Batman. The best thing is it's already been done so many times and he likes how it's been done so he'll just follow that formula somewhat and give us a pretty safe yet kick ass Batman movie and maybe just get it out of his system. He can have Batman start to snap Joker's neck and Joker finish it all the way, maybe...or just have Batman do it himself. So DKR, much win for Snyder. :D

I hope you realize that Rorschach was Moore's imagining of how Batman would exist in the real world (aka Watchmen's world), so it makes complete sense that Snyder would imagine Rorschach as a Batman-esque character. It sounds like you're really reaching and you don't take facts into account when theorizing.

I hope you realize that Rorschach was Moore's imagining of how Batman would exist in the real world (aka Watchmen's world), so it makes complete sense that Snyder would imagine Rorschach as a Batman-esque character. It sounds like you're really reaching and you don't take facts into account when theorizing.

Nite Owl bears more similarities to Batman, hell, even Ozymandias does, than Rorschach, and Rorschach is a reimagining of Charlton Comics' character The Question, not Batman. Those are all facts, mate.

Nite Owl bears more similarities to Batman, hell, even Ozymandias does, than Rorschach, and Rorschach is a reimagining of Charlton Comics' character The Question, not Batman. Those are all facts, mate.

“You could put a superhero in the real world for a dramatic effect, because they are kind of stupid. They got these tight costumes, stupid names; they’re kind of unbelievable, so if you actually put them in the real world and have people reacting to them the way that people would, you’d laugh at them, you’d be scared of them. It would be a different way of looking at them, so that’s what went mostly into Watchmen.

“[Gibbons and I] thought about superhero types like Batman, so I thought, ‘What would he be like in the real world.’ And he’d be very much like Rorschach—if you’re a revenge-driven vigilante, you’re not quite right in the head. Yeah, alright, your parents got killed when you were a kid, whatever, that’s upsetting. But for most of us, if our parents were killed when we were little, would not become a bat-themed costumed vigilante—that’s a bit mental."

So, I thought, ‘Alright, if there was a Batman in the real world, he probably would be a bit mental.’ He wouldn’t have time for a girlfriend, friends, a social life, because he’d just be driven by getting revenge against criminals… dressed up as a bat for some reason. He probably wouldn’t be very careful about his personal hygiene. He’d probably smell. He’d probably eat baked beans out of a tin. He probably wouldn’t talk to many people. His voice probably would have become weird with misuse, his phraseology would be strange.

“I wanted to kind of make this like, ‘Yeah, this is what Batman would be in the real world.’ But I had forgotten that actually to a lot of comic fans that smelling, not having a girlfriend—these are actually kind of heroic. So actually, sort of, Rorschach became the most popular character in Watchmen. I meant him to be a bad example, but I have people come up to me in the street saying, ‘I am Rorschach! That is my story!’ And I’ll be thinking, ‘Yeah, great, can you just keep away from me and never come anywhere near me again for as long as I live?’”

Source: http://www.stevensurman.com/web-wri...chach-s-character-from-alan-moore-s-watchmen/

Cited from an interview that I believe can be seen on Youtube.

You've got a source for this? Because I read most of the interviews and not once did I read anywhere that Nolan told Snyder to pretend he was making a Batman film. The part that Nolan convinced him was true. Snyder had a respect for Superman but wasn't sure how Superman would work in the a modern day context until he read the story Nolan and Goyer wrote.

Well I think the movie itself is pretty much evident of that. Zack, in short, much like the people at WB/DC, thinks Superman is boring, old fashioned, and stupid, and "why can't he be more like Batman", so Goyer and Nolan, the "materminds" behind TDK series, pitch to Snyder a Superman that is more "like Batman", in so many words, which makes him "want" to do the movie. Except it's pretty damn shoddy. Their take on "modernizing" Superman ( :barf: God do I hate those terms) is to make him more of what they perceive Batman to be like in many ways.

OH SNAP!!! :woot:

/waits for rebuttal by Kevin Smith, enlightening us all on how much more he knows about Superman than Snyder and how much more AWESOME Man of Steel would have been had he directed it.

I think, given the proper saavy of tools and things, many of us here, myself included, could have written and directed a better Superman movie than the one Snyder gave us quite easily.

If he didn't care then why did he cite his disappointment that Thor is getting movies over Superman? Did you even watch the SDCC panel?

What panel would that be? The one where he rolled out a giant bat symbol and had some dialogue read out loud to the audience about how badly Superman gets his ass kicked by Batman from DKR? That panel? Oh, you probably mean the one a year earlier where he did the typical "promote my film" lip service that all filmmakers do. Suddenly Superman is important and should be up there having his own movie to go toe to toe with Thor and other "C-listers", there needs to be a place for Superman now that Snyder has found a way to make him more like Batman, when before he found a way to make him more like Batman, about 20 months prior to that, he was too old fashioned and would never work again for a modern audience. Fast forward a year and he's reading Batman rubbing it in about kicking Superman's ass to the same audience.

I am not saying he "hates" the character by any means, but it's pretty obvious which way his preference goes and of course he is going to find nice things to say while promoting the movie he is making at the moment. Like, isn't it a weird coincidence that every actor and director and writer gets to right their all time "favoritest, bestest" character that they've wanted to be since childhood? Almost 90% of the time? How rare it is to find people who are actually honest about stuff like this and not just saying what they think people want to hear, people like Henry Cavill and even RDJ and Chris Evans who don't BS the audience. Why's he take a shot at Thor? Easy. Fanboy pissing contest. This is fun and gets people talking. Same reason why he blows off the question of whether Batman could beat Superman or not like it's not even worth answering because "duh, Superman!" when a year later he selects the triumphant rub-it-in dialogue of Batman "beating" Superman be read at the same panel. Uh huh. Snyder is a Superman fanboy at heart indeed. :whatever:

If I'm being perfectly honest, I think Snyder is just as big a fan of comics as we are and so he knows how to speak our language. I too read all the interviews leading up to Man of Steel. Every single one. I never got the impression that Snyder was knowledgeable about Superman (and if we're giving credit where credit is due, then I would give all credit to Goyer on knowledge of the character, his history and his most popular story lines).

Preach! :up:

I've read interviews with Snyder in the past about not knowing how to bring Superman into the modern world, and quite frankly, his bias for darker stories and characters and his love of Frank Miller always came across loud and clear. So much so, that i got the distinct impression before he was announced for MOS (based on his statements and body of work) that he had no interest in Superman.

Wisdom, guys. ^^ :up:

That's my backup for agreeing with Kevin Smith on why Snyder took the gig. That, and the fact that a stable property like Superman must have seemed appealing at that point in time for his career. I don't mean to be cynical, just realistic. We all know Hollywood can be a less than honest place - and in this day and age, I think directors and writers understand that the story behind the making of a film based on one of our beloved characters is almost as important as the final product. As fans, we want to feel like we have the best people on the job, and one of the ways of making us feel that way is when the people in charge come out and say things like "I love this character. He/she's the greatest ever and I can't wait to show the world how awesome our vision for him/her is."

I don't meant to be disrespectful, but what about Snyder's interviews came across to you as anything other than generic fanboy enthusiasm for working on a superhero property? What made it specific enough to you to make you feel, "Ok, this guy totally gets Superman!"?

:up: :up: :applaud Exactly. Not a damn thing.

And it's not cynicism, it's reality and accepting things for as they are. Some people would like to think that Snyder and Goyer, merely because they have been bequeathed with the task of working on a Superman project, means that they must have cookouts with the Siegel and Shuster family and know nothing but love of Superman all day long and are absolutely obviously worthy because dammit, they're the ones doing it, not us, and that makes them the best and the final authority on it, not the longtime fans or the 70 year history of the character. Just Snyder and Goyer and whoever is at the helm at the moment, they OBVIOUSLY get Superman, and shame on you for saying otherwise! All comments are SINCERE and from the bottom of their hearts! After all, look at Snyder's track record pre MOS, and hell, even post MOS. Batman sure looks great, let me tell ya. :woot:

Writers get too caught up in how OP Superman is. The thing about Superman is he is one of us. He thinks of himself as human. He was raised by humans, taught by humans, are with humans, played with humans, worked with humans. He thinks of himself as one of us. Hell think of when you see a movie and think how awesome it is. Superman would think like that maybe. He would be as sad over if his dog died as if you lost your dog. He laughs at jokes like how we laugh.

It's not hard when you get in the mindset.

Hey, here's somebody else who probably could've made a better Superman movie than Snyder. :D ;)

Source: http://www.stevensurman.com/web-wri...chach-s-character-from-alan-moore-s-watchmen/

Cited from an interview that I believe can be seen on Youtube.

Not a reimagining of Batman but a Batman type thematically. Reimagining of the Question though, absolutely (who you could also argue is a Batman type thematically).

Having JEH do an imitation of Christian Bale's Batman voice was unimaginitive and not how the character was written. It was just "can't they do a little better than that" voice wise, IMO, like be just a little bit more original with it, even though I enjoyed much of the performance. He's supposed to have similarities to Batman, not BE Batman. So yeah, it was a bit disappointing to me to hear Bale's Batman voice coming out of JEH as Rorschach.

Not a reimagining of Batman but a Batman type thematically. Reimagining of the Question though, absolutely (who you could also argue is a Batman type thematically).

Having JEH do an imitation of Christian Bale's Batman voice was unimaginitive and not how the character was written. It was just "can't they do a little better than that" voice wise, IMO, like be just a little bit more original with it, even though I enjoyed much of the performance. He's supposed to have similarities to Batman, not BE Batman. So yeah, it was a bit disappointing to me to hear Bale's Batman voice coming out of JEH as Rorschach.

Reimagination in the sense that Moore took the concept of Batman and applied it to the real world. The end result being an interpretation of Batman (Rorschach) that was greatly different from the Batman we know in the comics. And given that's exactly what Moore said, it qualifies as a reimagination.

Reimagination in the sense that Moore took the concept of Batman and applied it to the real world. The end result being an interpretation of Batman (Rorschach) that was greatly different from the Batman we know in the comics. And given that's exactly what Moore said, it qualifies as a reimagination.

It takes a theme of Batman, the dressing up to fight crime out of a childhood tragedy, I suppose you could count that as a "reimagining" of Batman so I may give you that, but a reimagining of of Batman on the whole Rorschach is far from. For instance, he's poor, he's just a guy in a coat and mask, he visually looks nothing like him, he has no special weapons and gadgets, he's not a super genius, he's not physically imposing, etc. Ozymandias and Nite Owl better compare to Batman in those regards than Rorscach. I don't look at Rorschach and think "oh, that guy's supposed to be just like Batman!", I look at Nite Owl and say that, or I think that about Rorschach and The Question.

So yeah, it was a bit disappointing to me to hear Bale's Batman voice coming out of JEH as Rorschach.
They're both incredibly raspy but the execution can't be any further part. I say this as someone who greatly loathes Bale's bat-voice; I adore Haley's rendition.

It's the throaty and unsettling delivery done right. I fully bought into Rorschach actually sounding that way, even knowing Haley in real life has a high-pitched and weak sounding voice. It's a superb performance.

They're both incredibly raspy but the execution can't be any further part. I say this as someone who greatly loathes Bale's bat-voice; I adore Haley's rendition.

It's the throaty and unsettling delivery done right. I fully bought into Rorschach actually sounding that way, even knowing Haley in real life has a high-pitched and weak sounding voice. It's a superb performance.

Good performance but he sounds like Batman.

Trying for a more monotone, apathetic, detatched from life type voice like the Motion Comics guy or even Jeffrey Combs as The Question in JLU would have been ideal.

I would love to see an R-rated Zack Snyder Batman movie like Watchmen and 300. I think it should be darker and more violent than even Batman Returns.

Good performance but he sounds like Batman.
He sounds like a more aggressive Eastwood. Considering the infamous bat-voice didn't come into its own until TDK, it's more likely Bale and Haley took from the same influences in approaching a dark character. Watchmen was well finished shooting before TDK even hit theaters.

Trying for a more monotone, apathetic, detatched from life type voice like the Motion Comics guy or even Jeffrey Combs as The Question in JLU would have been ideal.
Yes, though I would say JEH's delivery is more than adequate in its own right in expressing the character.

[YT]qKebCtCTbCA#t=159[/YT]

At 2:39 Moore Talks Batman.... and Rorshach

I don't wan't a Snyder Batman movie. I wan't Refn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"