• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

BvS How Would People Feel About a Zack Snyder Batman Movie?

Agreed. What it comes down to is "YOU BETTER DO THINGS EXACTLY AS THE COMIC STATES OR ELSE IT'S A PIECE OF ****!!!!!" It's this kind of fanboy mentality that limits the potential of imagination and creativity.

Yea like I'm alright with stuff being closer but there are certains things.

Look at Electro. in the 616 comics, dude looks like a joke. I mean I grew up on Superman The Animated Series and that had Livewire and if you were to look at Electro and Livewire and you were asked who's more powerful, one would probably say Livewire.

Electro in the Ultimate is way better. He at least has a personality and is just better.

Electro in the films meh. I loved when Jamie was cast but they made him so much like a loser he was cartoonish. His design looked cool and had cool battle scenes but the character was kind of a loser.

Personally I think Penguin in Batman Returns is the best Penguin ever and much more interesting than the comics Penguin.

The Mandarin I'm meh about. I am ok with it but it's not so much "they ****ed up the Mandarin" it's more of I wanted to see Ben Kingsely as the villain throughout the film since he was good.

The title says it all, but given that we know Snyder is in charge of putting the DC Cinematic universe together this question just struck me.

For you Batman fans - and by that I mean those people for whom Batman is their favorite superhero above all others. How would you feel if tomorrow WB announced that after Justice League they would be doing another solo Batman movie with Zack Snyder at the helm?

I liked Watchmen and Man Of Steel so yeah I would be happy if Synder was the director of a Batman film.

I'd imagine a Snyder Batman movie would be very similar to how he filmed Rorschach in Watchmen

Yea like I'm alright with stuff being closer but there are certains things.

Look at Electro. in the 616 comics, dude looks like a joke. I mean I grew up on Superman The Animated Series and that had Livewire and if you were to look at Electro and Livewire and you were asked who's more powerful, one would probably say Livewire.

Electro in the Ultimate is way better. He at least has a personality and is just better.

Electro in the films meh. I loved when Jamie was cast but they made him so much like a loser he was cartoonish. His design looked cool and had cool battle scenes but the character was kind of a loser.

Personally I think Penguin in Batman Returns is the best Penguin ever and much more interesting than the comics Penguin.

The Mandarin I'm meh about. I am ok with it but it's not so much "they ****ed up the Mandarin" it's more of I wanted to see Ben Kingsely as the villain throughout the film since he was good.

Penguin in Batman Returns always gets **** on , but Danny Devito turned out an amazing performance, and I personally loved Burton's take on Penguin. I've never been particularly crazy about Penguin in the comics either (someone recommend me a good Penguin centric arc)

But I did really like him in Arkham City, The Batman and TAS.
I liked Penguin's accent in Arkham City, but the more i think about it, Penguin (along with all other major Batman villains aside from Ra's/Talia/Bane) should definitely be a product of Gotham. I like the idea of the Cobblepots and the Wayne's having a long history together.

But to get back on topic, I'd agree that Rorschach is likely a decent indicator of how Snyder will portray Bats. Looking back on Watchmen/300, it seems destined that this guy would be the guy to bring the DCCU to life. Even if these movies are terribly written, they're at least going to be insanely visually pleasing. No doubt about that..

Goyer compared Bale's Batman to the Neal Adams Batman and compared the Snyder version to the Jim Lee Batman. Snyder would nail a Hush storyline, visuals-wise.

Snyder would probably benefit from doing movies that are not CBMs.

Speaking as a Superman fan first, you took the words right out of my mouth. I wonder why it's so hard to find a talented director who is as passionate about Superman as fans are. Like the way Sam Raimi was passionate about Spider-Man. I know passion doesn't always equal quality movies, but I'd love to see what that could put out.

And what would this film look like? S:TM? No thanks.

Goyer compared Bale's Batman to the Neal Adams Batman and compared the Snyder version to the Jim Lee Batman. Snyder would nail a Hush storyline, visuals-wise.
Where did Goyer say this?

I'd be open to it if he wasn't doing JL and Superman. I mean I feel the burnout that will happen if he's given too much. Also a new perspective will be be needed.

Snyder would probably benefit from doing movies that are not CBMs.

Now if he could make just one independently realized film (non-adaptation/remake) that was well-made that WASN'T a CBM-I think quite a bit of the hate would die down.

Take the reception of Del Toro for instance. Imagine if he ONLY did big films such as Blade II and Pacific Rim. I think his reception would be quite a bit worse as a result of not making something like "Pan's Labrynth."

Yeah, I agree with that too... and it's one of the reasons why I feel MOS was a good movie. Not a perfect movie, but so many of the complaints waged against it seem to be, "Superman would never do that! He would do this!" And it's like... the character has been around for over 75 years and if you really went through every single comic book appearance, you'd find a TON of inconsistencies. The Mark Waid Superman would never take a life under any circumstance, but the John Byrne Superman would. The pre-crisis Superman has an overabundance of self-confidence and never doubts himself; the post-crisis one is the opposite (this was even a major plot point of Infinite Crisis).

So while seeing this Superman questioning himself and humanity, being forced to reveal himself due to Zod's actions, making some rookie mistakes and ultimately being forced to kill might have rubbed some purists the wrong way, that doesn't necessarily mean these were bad choices. And it also doesn't mean that Snyder "didn't understand and/or care about Superman."

I don't want to get too far off topic, and I don't want to start up a debate about MOS that has countless other threads devoted to it - but I think what most rational fans who had problems with MOS take issue with is the context.

You're right, the Superman of the comics has gone through a myriad of interpretations over the years that can back up Snyder's choices. I don't think fans take issue so much with the choice to have Superman kill, or stand by while his dad sacrifices himself (although maybe that one), or to have Jonathan Kent be conflicted about what he tells his son to do with the powers Clark has. But you have to earn those choices - and the people who are disappointed don't feel like the film earned them. These elements just seemed to come out of nowhere, (less so with Jonathan being conflicted). They felt like change for the sake of change rather than being organic to the story.

Again, it's an issue of adaptation vs. translation. Zack is great at translating a comic to the screen - I just don't think he's a storyteller.

And what would this film look like? S:TM? No thanks.

Not at all. Why does it always have to resort to that? It's like this whole ridiculous "DC vs. Marvel" thing. It doesn't have to be "S:TM vs. MOS." We have both. We can enjoy both. And you know what else we have? Superman: The Animated Series. We have the George Reeves series. We have the serials from the 40s. We have Smallvillve. We have 75 years worth of comics.

And you know what? I can enjoy all of them when they tell good stories. I've said this before, but I refuse to indulge in this pointless debate of embracing a new take on the character just because it's the one we have. We don't have to settle for mediocrity.

Now if he could make just one independently realized film (non-adaptation/remake) that was well-made that WASN'T a CBM-I think quite a bit of the hate would die down.

Take the reception of Del Toro for instance. Imagine if he ONLY did big films such as Blade II and Pacific Rim. I think his reception would be quite a bit worse as a result of not making something like "Pan's Labrynth."

Absolutely, and Del Toro's reputation actually dropped after Pacific Rim.

Zack Snyder tried that with Sucker Punch and it didn't work. He should try again.

Zack Snyder tried that with Sucker Punch and it didn't work. He should try again.

I agree. He almost did that with The Last Photograph..but that didn't come to fruition. http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl..._afghan_war_drama_the_last_photograph_himself

I think Snyder should direct something truly sci-fi. Like some type of futuristic fantasy. I liked the Krypton scenes in MOS.

I think if paired up with a good writer and with enough people to help him realize his limitations, I think he'd make a boss dystopian action/fantasy.

When you have a significant amount of the population thinking you can only make things pretty..it makes it all the harder for something deep to come across in a subtle manner. (Take the scene in which Pete befriends Clark, for instance)

Last edited:
All you have to do is look up Moore reading as Rorschach on YT, and see that Snyder did a more intense version of that, but he wasn't trying to aim for the bat voice. :o

Oh lawd.

Really? A lot of ppl seemed to like pacific rim for the most part and it made some money abroad, which later got his new horror film green lighted.

^ Funny enough, I think the Nerd culture was really putting PR on a pedestal. And I liked the movie..but the characters were mostly stereotypical, the action scenes were kind of blurry, and the writing was a bit uneven, not to mention some of the acting felt stilted. There'd be no way a post-Sucker Punch Zack would be forgiven for the flaws that PR suffered from, even if he made a film with similar ambitions.

^ Funny enough, I think the Nerd culture was really putting PR on a pedestal. And I liked the movie..but the characters were mostly stereotypical, the action scenes were kind of blurry, and the writing was a bit uneven, not to mention some of the acting felt stilted. There'd be no way a post-Sucker Punch Zack would be forgiven for the flaws that PR suffered from, even if he made a film with similar ambitions.

Oh, it wasn't anything to write about, but I enjoyed it. :BA

I thought Pacific Rim was ok, but when I saw the love it got from some nerds I grew annoyed. For example, Analee Newitz, the head editor of io9.com, called it the greatest fairy tale of the 21st century. What? No. I thought Pacific Rim was ... comparable to Godzilla. The weak characters were a major issue for me.

Snyder should do a non-CBM to broaden himself, to get out of his comfort zone a little. He's a good director who gets an unfair amount of hate, but he does have problems. I don't think it's about finding people who can contain him, it's about him trying to do better.

Comic book movies are for the most part very formulaic, repetitive. It's not an ideal medium to push boundaries.

Well if it helps you to insult his intelligence further, Watchmen was already a commentary and deconstruction of supeheroes. Snyder didn't invent that, he just transferred it to the cinematic medium.

He tried to and missed the point with much of it. He is intelligent but apparently not enough to get Watchmen to hit the marks it should have.

He tried to and missed the point with much of it. He is intelligent but apparently not enough to get Watchmen to hit the marks it should have.

People keep saying that but it's never justified in even decent detail.

But regardless, the only analogue we have is V for Vendetta, and there's a case of true juvenile politics in the adaptation.

You mind explaining how he missed the point?

Agreed. What it comes down to is "YOU BETTER DO THINGS EXACTLY AS THE COMIC STATES OR ELSE IT'S A PIECE OF ****!!!!!" It's this kind of fanboy mentality that limits the potential of imagination and creativity.

Yeah, I agree with that too... and it's one of the reasons why I feel MOS was a good movie. Not a perfect movie, but so many of the complaints waged against it seem to be, "Superman would never do that! He would do this!" And it's like... the character has been around for over 75 years and if you really went through every single comic book appearance, you'd find a TON of inconsistencies. The Mark Waid Superman would never take a life under any circumstance, but the John Byrne Superman would. The pre-crisis Superman has an overabundance of self-confidence and never doubts himself; the post-crisis one is the opposite (this was even a major plot point of Infinite Crisis).

So while seeing this Superman questioning himself and humanity, being forced to reveal himself due to Zod's actions, making some rookie mistakes and ultimately being forced to kill might have rubbed some purists the wrong way, that doesn't necessarily mean these were bad choices. And it also doesn't mean that Snyder "didn't understand and/or care about Superman."

My criticism of MOS is that it fails on a film level. I don't care if you want to make Superman kill, etc, as long as it's done well and is a good movie. MOS is not a good movie. It's a terrible film. Everything from the editing to the dialogue to the story and underdevelopedness of it. It's not an enjoyable watch. The characters are underdeveloped, the story is underdeveloped, it's emotionally unengaging and I wasn't invested in one thing that happened in it. It did not make me care about ANY of the characters, they were so poorly illustrated, and I am a Superman fan. That is my number one problem with the film; it's a pretty crappy movie. The worst ever made? Of course not. But it's pretty damn bad, especially in comparison to some of the great CBMs we've had over the past ten years, and it's not like this is a C or D character, this is the one that has the most to work with, and they still deliver a terrible film.

My criticism first and foremost with most films including CBMs is whether they are good movies or not. Being close to the source material comes second for me. I am willing to compromise and say "Okay, you can change this as long as you make a good movie" and deliver on that promise. So when I see something like MOS, where I compromise so much going into it with the faith that it will be a good movie; "okay, you can change the costume, Zack, because I believe you're going to make a great film. Yes, you can do away with the secret identity, I trust you're going to make a great film. Yes, you can have Superman kill a man, you still have me convinced it's going to be a great film". And then when the movie doesn't deliver on anything and is really underwhelming as a film, I feel betrayed. I feel like "**** you, dude, you got me to be cool with you changing all that ****, the suit, changing the secret identity stuff, throwing the baby out with the bathwater on the promise that you'd make a good movie, and you didn't". So that's when I say "yeah, your movie sucked, and you know what else? **** you for changing the suit too. Give me my underwear back" because it pisses me off. The movie was really underwhelming and poor so all that compromising was for BULL****.

I'm fine with some departures from the comics so long as we get a great film. An example of this is Batman '89, Spider-Man 1, Superman: The Movie, TDK Trilogy (well TDK and BB particularly) and even V for Vendetta, which I actually prefer to the books believe it or not. I'll make sacrifices for great end products, but ONLY great end products. When they're not great I feel like we've been ****ed over. Does anyone else understand this?

I feel some comic book fans don't know the difference between a good movie and a good adaption. Batman Returns is a great film but it's nothing like the comics. Iron Man 3 (as a movie) is a good film. It's just not a good adaption of the Mandarin in the comics.

Batman Returns is an okay film at best. It feels claustrophobic and cluttered at times among other things and it lacks humanity.

Just because something is closer to the source does not make it a better film. TASM1 is closer to the source than Spider-Man 1 but Spider-Man 1 (while it has aged) is overall a better film.

Spider-Man 1 is much closer to the comics than TASM. Only differences are organic webshooters and the Mary Jane being an MJ/Gwen Stacy hybrid. But it's also an all around better film.

Woah now. See, this line of thought surrounding comic book films tends to make me shake my head. Screenwriting and directing are both crafts that take a LOT of time, effort and dedication to hone. Being a passionate fan does not automatically make one qualified to deliver a good movie. Most fan-scripts are pure garbage.

Which is why I said with the right saavy, tools, and know-how. I'm not just talking about a fan on the internet forum getting up tomorrow and going to shoot something. I'm talking about having all of the knowledge and know-how and equipment and resources that Snyder, Goyer, WB & CO, etc have, and THEN doing it. I know we'd have got a better film from some people here than we did with Snyder & CO at the helm. None of us have the connections or other things I mentioned though. But I think getting the character you're making a film about and having a good sense of story telling are great places to start, and a lot more to start with than Snyder and Goyer when it comes to Superman at least.

But still, I applaud fans who write fan scripts for at least getting through a draft- that's a huge challenge in and of itself. And it's great practice if you're an aspiring writer. Assuming that the average inexperienced fan could do better is assuming a lot and hugely misguided IMO. I say this all as an aspiring writer/director.

I'm not saying Snyder and Goyer are THE be all-end all, most qualified people in Hollywood for the job (I don't think they are). But they're still miles more qualified than your average forum know-it-all. This is just about having a little respect for just how hard it is to write a good screenplay and make a good movie.

But Snyder's MOS isn't a good movie.

It's kind of a miracle that any movie turns out well when you look at all the things that can go wrong when making a movie. And that multiplies exponentially on a huge property like this.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 to a perfect recent example of "getting the character right" but still making a real mess of a movie. Just goes to show that love for a character is nice, but it isn't enough. Mark Steven Johnson loved Daredevil too.

I'm aware of all that, they did a nice job with Spider-Man IN TASM2 as a character, somewhat, although still not as good as the Raimi films did, but the film on the whole was pretty bad. Like a bad episode of a great cartoon series, and most, if not all cartoons, have them, they can still get the character right but do a bad episode.

Last edited:
Why do you have that screenname if you have so little in common with the real Kevin Smith? Did you have more in common elsewhere?

You're confusing reimagination for being a strict adaptation. The point isn't to look exactly like Batman, as reimagination means taking an existing concept and creating a new interpretation of these concepts.

If the "concept" is "fights crime because of tragedy" then you are correct, as that is how Batman and Rorscach are alike.

Looking at how a Batman character would exist in the real world is a new interpretation. Also, it doesn't just take the theme, Moore uses Batman as an archetype in regards to the Rorschach and the Minutemen. Nite Owl only resembles Batman because of the silly costume and his use of gadgets, and Ozymandias only resembles Batman insofar as Adrian Veidt is similar to a Bruce Wayne persona (genius+billionaire). As for Ozymandias himself, Batman would never kill millions to save billions, nor resort to Ozymandias's logics so I can't see the resemblance.

Batman would never kill like Rorscach routinely kills, either. Ozymandias is rich, a genius/inventor, his body is in peak physical condition, he's studied all forms of fighting, he wears a cape, he goes behind the heroes' back to do what he thinks is best (like Batman has done with Brother Eye), has been dubbed the most dangerous man in the world, there's more in common there with Batman than there is Rorscach.

Nite Owl visually looks a little like Batman, has gadgets like Batman, invents things like Batman, has an underground hideout like Batman. Again, more in common with Batman than Rorscach.

Rorsacach fights crime because of a childhood tragedy. That's where the smiliarities end. He looks and acts nothing like Batman, even if they are both tough (most superheroes are). Thematically, Rorschach and Batman are similar, but that is it. Rorschach is hardly a "Zorro" archetype.

However, the core ideas of Batman are best seen through Rorschach, granted he's not a super-genius, but he was able to figure out who killed the Comedian, and by extension, he figures out the whole point of Veidt's motivations. That's pretty damn smart of him to be able to investigate and deduce that thoroughly.

Rorschach is motivated to fight crime because of personal tragedy (initially, although this changes later on). That is where the similarities between he and Batman end, and what Moore was talking about. What would someone so hung up on a particular incident in their past like Batman has been written as having been sometimes, who is motivated to wear a costume of sorts and prowl around, be like in real life? Batman thematically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"