BvS How Would People Feel About a Zack Snyder Batman Movie?

If so, props to Snyder. He's the closest thing to a purist WB/DC has, though unfortunately he's weighed down in part by Goyer and his unfamiliarity with original content. If MOS was universally heralded as good by fans AND critics, Nolan would get most of the blame.

Even if that were true it would be incorrect. The buck stops at Snyder, good or bad. Any failings the film had is his fault.

As a Batman fan...I would not want to see Zack Snyder direct a Batman movie.

I mean, don't get me wrong...he'd probably do a better job on Batman than he would Superman. I think Snyder respects Superman and what he represents, but I don't think he particularly gets the character or has a particular passion for him. Batman however is definitely more Snyder's thing.

Still, having passion for a character dosen't exactly result in a good film. I think at the end of the day, a Snyder Batman film would end up like most Snyder films: visually stunning, with impressive action, but full of flaws.

BTW, I do love these "Snyder should do a non CBM film so people would like him more" type posts. If anything, "Sucker Punch" proved the opposite.

Not at all. Why does it always have to resort to that? It's like this whole ridiculous "DC vs. Marvel" thing. It doesn't have to be "S:TM vs. MOS." We have both. We can enjoy both. And you know what else we have? Superman: The Animated Series. We have the George Reeves series. We have the serials from the 40s. We have Smallvillve. We have 75 years worth of comics.

So many fans believe MOS' critical reaction is a case of "STM vs MOS", when its really the fans themselves who see it that way. These types of fans act like there was no other version of Superman between 1978 and 2013.

Last edited:
Which is why I said with the right saavy, tools, and know-how. I'm not just talking about a fan on the internet forum getting up tomorrow and going to shoot something. I'm talking about having all of the knowledge and know-how and equipment and resources that Snyder, Goyer, WB & CO, etc have, and THEN doing it. I know we'd have got a better film from some people here than we did with Snyder & CO at the helm. None of us have the connections or other things I mentioned though. But I think getting the character you're making a film about and having a good sense of story telling are great places to start, and a lot more to start with than Snyder and Goyer when it comes to Superman at least.

But see to me, that right there is one MASSIVE "what if?", almost the point of rendering the comment irrelevant. Loving something =/= being good at something. Snyder himself might be a great example of that when it comes to his CB movies.

To me it's no different than a hockey fan who knows the sport inside and out saying "If I had all the gear, the right amount of practice, equipment, and knew how to ice skate I could totally make it to the NHL." Like yeah, that's a nice thought and all, nothing wrong with believing in yourself... but if you say that with no intention to actually get off your butt and make something of yourself, it's a completely hollow comment IMO.

I'm not trying to start something with you KS, I don't even like MOS that much, but that line of thought has always bugged me in general, and to me it's clearly coming from a place of not realizing how challenging it is to even write a mediocre screenplay, or heck even finishing a bad one. If the fans on this forum are going to be the next great screenwriters they shouldn't be saying "if this, if that", they should be busting their asses to break into the industry. It's certainly not impossible if you're dedicated enough. The training is nothing, the will is everything...and so on. So basically I think it's an utterly pointless comment.

Do I like what Snyder and Goyer (and Nolan) did with Man of Steel? Eh...not a ton. But I do respect it. It could've easily been a lot worse, and I personally think Superman IS a pretty challenging character to pull off.

If so, props to Snyder. He's the closest thing to a purist WB/DC has, though unfortunately he's weighed down in part by Goyer and his unfamiliarity with original content. If MOS was universally heralded as good by fans AND critics, Nolan would get most of the blame.

Yeah, most definitely. That ending would have sucked.

Lets see how Batman is handled in this film.

I'd be fine with it. Something tells me after JL though Snyder will move on. Maybe stay as producer but doubtful to be directing.

To me it's no different than a hockey fan who knows the sport inside and out saying "If I had all the gear, the right amount of practice, equipment, and knew how to ice skate I could totally make it to the NHL." Like yeah, that's a nice thought and all, nothing wrong with believing in yourself... but if you say that with no intention to actually get off your butt and make something of yourself, it's a completely hollow comment IMO.

I told you before, I could totally beat Wayne Gretzky in his prime.

Even if that were true it would be incorrect. The buck stops at Snyder, good or bad. Any failings the film had is his fault.

Isn't it funny how in some peoples eyes, its never Snyder's fault for the reaction his films get?

I have seen 4 Snyder films, all were at least good, some very good(Dawn of the Dead). And i thought Watchmen was great but that's just me. Still, i would be more curious to see a Ben Affleck directed Batflick over a Snyder one. Um, though a Snyder directed Batman movie might have Clayface...Damn it, now im undecided!

I cant see Snyder doing Clayface. But maybe that's just me.

I think the chances of Clayface being in there somewhere would be better in a Snyder Batman than an Affleck batman movie.

Isn't it funny how in some peoples eyes, its never Snyder's fault for the reaction his films get?

It is, even funnier so when the same people who got really pissy at people who called it a Nolan film, stating (correctly so) that he had nothing to do with the film, placed blame on Nolan and (largely) Goyer, when the film hit rotten on RT. :funny:

Where did Snyder get all these wonderful die hard fans?

I hope to see Killer Croc before seeing Clayface
And done visually right at least, ignoring how unrealistic a snout might affect his speech

Lets see how Batman is handled in this film.

I'm with you on this. I'll wait and see how Snyder does Batman in BvS and then decide if he's right for a solo Batflick. Even then though, I don't think it'll happen.

Handling Batman as a character in a film with other superheroes is kinda different from directing a full on batman story. He could knock out of the park with Batman in this and I still wouldn't trust him to handle a solo Bat flick.

There are just so many directors other than Snyder that I'd rather see get a crack at Batman. Affleck being one of them.

I don't think Snyder will ever direct a solo Bat-film though...this will probably be as close as he gets.

It is, even funnier so when the same people who got really pissy at people who called it a Nolan film, stating (correctly so) that he had nothing to do with the film, placed blame on Nolan and (largely) Goyer, when the film hit rotten on RT. :funny:

Where did Snyder get all these wonderful die hard fans?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I find placing the blame on Nolan hilarious. His track record speaks for itself, and its become abundantly clear that he was pretty hands off in regards to MOS.

Even with the flawed Goyer working on your scripts, it never stopped Nolan from putting out a quality film.

Never say never. Snyder is pretty young for a director. He may in fact get a shot at Batman in the future. Didn't Singer get back on the XTrain after jumping off?

Plus, despite what others would say, Snyder has actually shown an ability to change up his style quite a bit. Did DAWN OF THE DEAD look like 300? Did 300 look like WATCHMEN? Did WATCHMEN look like MAN OF STEEL? I actually think only SUCKER PUNCH and 300 have a similar visual look.

So Snyder could be back with Batman in the next ten years. Just saying.

By that time, he'll have the experience from both Justice League and Watchmen, and Ben Affleck will probably be burned out on CBM. Doesn't sound so bad.

If the "concept" is "fights crime because of tragedy" then you are correct, as that is how Batman and Rorscach are alike.

Batman would never kill like Rorscach routinely kills, either. Ozymandias is rich, a genius/inventor, his body is in peak physical condition, he's studied all forms of fighting, he wears a cape, he goes behind the heroes' back to do what he thinks is best (like Batman has done with Brother Eye), has been dubbed the most dangerous man in the world, there's more in common there with Batman than there is Rorscach.

Nite Owl visually looks a little like Batman, has gadgets like Batman, invents things like Batman, has an underground hideout like Batman. Again, more in common with Batman than Rorscach.

Rorsacach fights crime because of a childhood tragedy. That's where the smiliarities end. He looks and acts nothing like Batman, even if they are both tough (most superheroes are). Thematically, Rorschach and Batman are similar, but that is it. Rorschach is hardly a "Zorro" archetype.

Rorschach is motivated to fight crime because of personal tragedy (initially, although this changes later on). That is where the similarities between he and Batman end, and what Moore was talking about. What would someone so hung up on a particular incident in their past like Batman has been written as having been sometimes, who is motivated to wear a costume of sorts and prowl around, be like in real life? Batman thematically.

You're only looking at these comparisons at a superficial level. I'm not interested in superficial comparisons at all because they don't tell us much about how similar a character is, in relation to another. Just because Rorschach doesn't have the "Bruce Wayne/Batman" style like Nite Owl II's gadgetry and superhero set-up and Ozymandias's intellect, it doesn't mean that he doesn't share similarities with Batman. In fact, Rorschach's problem is that he treats crime in terms of moral absolutism and objectivism. In other words, Rorschach sees things with a black-white ideology. Batman, for the most part, sees crime in a similar way, with a black-white ideology without taking grey areas into account (or rather, the grey areas are few and far in-between) in order to get rid of crime and corruption in Gotham. Rorschach is a representation of how Batman's ideology would fail in the real world because it occupies two extremes without taking the middle ground into account. So really, it's not just about Batman and Rorschach's origins. Hence, that's why I said Batman was an archetypal character when it comes to Watchmen (In the same way that Dr. Manhattan is Superman re-imagined in Watchmen's universe).

Last edited:
You're only looking at these comparisons at a superficial level. I'm not interested in superficial comparisons at all because they don't tell us much about how similar a character is, in relation to another. Just because Rorschach doesn't have the "Bruce Wayne/Batman" style like Nite Owl II's gadgetry and superhero set-up and Ozymandias's intellect, it doesn't mean that he doesn't share similarities with Batman. In fact, Rorschach's problem is that he treats crime in terms of moral absolutism and objectivism. In other words, Rorschach sees things with a black-white ideology. Batman, for the most part, sees crime in a similar way, with a black-white ideology without taking grey areas into account (or rather, the grey areas are few and far in-between) in order to get rid of crime and corruption in Gotham. Rorschach is a representation of how Batman's ideology would fail in the real world because it occupies two extremes without taking the middle ground into account. So really, it's not just about Batman and Rorschach's origins. Hence, that's why I said Batman was an archetypal character when it comes to Watchmen (In the same way that Dr. Manhattan is Superman re-imagined in Watchmen's universe).

Yep, Allen Moore admits as much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKebCtCTbCA

Really, all Snyder has to do is make Batman a toned-down Rorschach (with Wayne's origins and persona) and we'll have an amazing representation of Batman on screen.

I'm not worried about Batman. At all.

Unless it's a direct Frank Miller version, of course.

This isn't strictly a Snyder phenomenon. Go to the Spidey boards and see fans making the same excuses as to how the back to back mediocrity of the reboot films is everyone's fault but Webb's.

Plus, despite what others would say, Snyder has actually shown an ability to change up his style quite a bit. Did DAWN OF THE DEAD look like 300? Did 300 look like WATCHMEN? Did WATCHMEN look like MAN OF STEEL?
It does, no buts or maybes, when I first saw Man of Steel I remembered his handling of Watchmen in several moments
Of course there is the difference in the blood and gore

Comparing other movies, he is capable of changing style, I'll give him credit for that, and will look forward to see how he handle the different atmospheres for both characters in this movie, see how much promise he will show before I clearly decide whether I want to see a Batman movie directed by him or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"