BvS How Would People Feel About a Zack Snyder Batman Movie?

It does, no buts or maybes, when I first saw Man of Steel I remembered his handling of Watchmen in several moments
Of course there is the difference in the blood and gore

Comparing other movies, he is capable of changing style, I'll give him credit for that, and will look forward to see how he handle the different atmospheres for both characters in this movie, see how much promise he will show before I clearly decide whether I want to see a Batman movie directed by him or not

I have to say there are quite a few ifs, buts and maybes. ;)

For one, those very critical of MOS often state how they wish it did look more like his previous work.

I have to say there are quite a few ifs, buts and maybes. ;)

For one, those very critical of MOS often state how they wish it did look more like his previous work.

Do we? News to me, the only way i wish MOS looked like was represented by a gif that Kane did earlier today.

This isn't strictly a Snyder phenomenon. Go to the Spidey boards and see fans making the same excuses as to how the back to back mediocrity of the reboot films is everyone's fault but Webb's.

In terms of the Spidey franchise, Sony, Webb, and the writers all played a part in messing up what was once a massive franchise.

There is a common trend. Being on the ASM2 boards last month felt like the MOS boards all over again.

But see to me, that right there is one MASSIVE "what if?", almost the point of rendering the comment irrelevant. Loving something =/= being good at something. Snyder himself might be a great example of that when it comes to his CB movies.

To me it's no different than a hockey fan who knows the sport inside and out saying "If I had all the gear, the right amount of practice, equipment, and knew how to ice skate I could totally make it to the NHL." Like yeah, that's a nice thought and all, nothing wrong with believing in yourself... but if you say that with no intention to actually get off your butt and make something of yourself, it's a completely hollow comment IMO.

I'm not trying to start something with you KS, I don't even like MOS that much, but that line of thought has always bugged me in general, and to me it's clearly coming from a place of not realizing how challenging it is to even write a mediocre screenplay, or heck even finishing a bad one. If the fans on this forum are going to be the next great screenwriters they shouldn't be saying "if this, if that", they should be busting their asses to break into the industry. It's certainly not impossible if you're dedicated enough. The training is nothing, the will is everything...and so on. So basically I think it's an utterly pointless comment.

Do I like what Snyder and Goyer (and Nolan) did with Man of Steel? Eh...not a ton. But I do respect it. It could've easily been a lot worse, and I personally think Superman IS a pretty challenging character to pull off.

I'm not sure about that hockey analogy, as the NHL is very well approximated by a meritocracy.

Whatever, hockey is just on my mind these days (let's go Rangers!!). The point of the analogy is simply that certain things take a LOT of practice and dedication to get good at, and it's a completely bogus statement to just say "If I had this that and the other thing I could do a better job than the professionals." The most important component of it is putting in your time and honing the craft. Otherwise it's all talk.

Whatever, hockey is just on my mind these days (let's go Rangers!!). The point of the analogy is simply that certain things take a LOT of practice and dedication to get good at, and it's a completely bogus statement to just say "If I had this that and the other thing I could do a better job than the professionals." The most important component of it is putting in your time and honing the craft. Otherwise it's all talk.

1) I'm a Habs fan, but Rangers played better.
2) in general I agree and I subscribe to the "10, 000 hours" theory where that is how long it often takes to become a world class expert.
3) the difference here I think is that most of us would not (i.e. could not become) hockey players no matter how hard we worked. In contrast, I am inclined to think that a few people on this forum could become decent screenwriters if they put in five years of time into it and were somehow magically financially supported in that time.

But to go from being a knowledgeable fan to writing a better script than David Goyer? Extremely unlikely.

Sorry fo arguing over a small point.

3) the difference here I think is that most of us would not (i.e. could not become) hockey players no matter how hard we worked. In contrast, I am inclined to think that a few people on this forum could become decent screenwriters if they put in five years of time into it and were somehow magically financially supported in that time.

But to go from being a knowledgeable fan to writing a better script than David Goyer? Extremely unlikely.

The Hollywood number is 10 years.

Do we? News to me, the only way i wish MOS looked like was represented by a gif that Kane did earlier today.

Did I say YOU personally? I don't know how you feel about it. But, yeah, there have been many posts that thought that Snyder should have done this stylistically as he had done 300 or Sucker Punch, or Watchmen. MOS didn't look at all like those films to me.

Did I say YOU personally? I don't know how you feel about it. But, yeah, there have been many posts that thought that Snyder should have done this stylistically as he had done 300 or Sucker Punch, or Watchmen. MOS didn't look at all like those films to me.

I would have taken a lighter colour pallette, but Snyder's plastic pop approach to his visuals are very hit and miss for me. Dare i say it looks cheap? Who knows? maybe that's what MoS needed.

I don't like how Snyder desaturates the actor's fleshtones. They look like zombies. It may not matter to others but to me it's very alienating.

I don't like how Snyder desaturates the actor's fleshtones. They look like zombies. It may not matter to others but to me it's very alienating.

So then you don't want him to do a Batman movie is what you're saying?

I agree. There's something sterile about that, especially when combined with the super contrasty look he goes for. It's all taste, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

If his only problem was that, then I would be overjoyed at the prospect of him doing a Batman film. But that isn't his only problem.

I will say this, the superficial aspects: like Batman's iconography, his gadgets, the way he moves and fights will be nailed by Snyder. But will the film have an even tone, will it have structural integrity? The more pertinent elements that make a film, I'm not so sure about.

Now, would I be willing to concede a whole entire solo film just to see Batman's iconography done right for once? I don't have to. We are seeing it in BvSDOJ. A fully fledged Batman film should have more than that.

Since I am hoping they will find someone else to direct the Batman solo film - Snyder has directed enough-I am hoping they can find someone who can incorporate parts of his aesthetic, but use them as a jumping pad into something different. An example would be Arkham Origins: where they took designs and elements from the preceding titles, but used them to launch into some better designs and storytelling possibilities.

Yeah, I think the Batman franchise on its own has a certain level of prestige both from the Burton and Nolan films that I'm not sure Snyder could match up to.

I like that the Batman franchise can attract auteurs with a specific vision for the character. I feel like Snyder is going to simply bring the comic page to the big screen for this, which will be nice for the fans to see for once. But I think the Batman movie franchise is its own thing, and it can certainly attract more talented overall directors than Snyder.

I don't think he'll be directing a solo movie in any case though. Having Batman as more of a supporting character (or even a bit of an antagonist) as opposed to the central protagonist will give him more license to make him the Bat-God a lot of fans want to see. You have to find ways to make him vulnerable when you're telling a story that's strictly about him.

Since I am hoping they will find someone else to direct the Batman solo film - Snyder has directed enough-I am hoping they can find someone who can incorporate parts of his aesthetic, but use them as a jumping pad into something different. An example would be Arkham Origins: where they took designs and elements from the preceding titles, but used them to launch into some better designs and storytelling possibilities.

Well, i suggested it earlier but what about Alex Proyas? (Dark City, The Crow)

Roger Ebert's idea not mine.

Yeah, I think the Batman franchise on its own has a certain level of prestige both from the Burton and Nolan films that I'm not sure Snyder could match up to.

I like that the Batman franchise can attract auteurs with a specific vision for the character. I feel like Snyder is going to simply bring the comic page to the big screen for this, which will be nice for the fans to see for once. But I think the Batman movie franchise is its own thing, and it can certainly attract more talented overall directors than Snyder.

I don't think he'll be directing a solo movie in any case though. Having Batman as more of a supporting character (or even a bit of an antagonist) as opposed to the central protagonist will give him more license to make him the Bat-God a lot of fans want to see. You have to find ways to make him vulnerable when you're telling a story that's strictly about him.

Interesting. That's what those of us who are primarily Superman fans are worried about, after all. The whole Bat God thing and watching the filmmakers contrive to give Batman the edge over Superman.

So here's a new question. Faced with Batman fans getting what they claim they've wanted to see all this time in BvS - mainly a Batman in live action who is more a rendering of the comic book Batman - do you thing, under Snyder's direction, that it will be as satisfying as they believe it will be?

And I'm not saying that means Batman has to beat Superman in a fight. He can, I mean that is in comic book history. But just simply giving the fans a live action Batman that's badass, sultry, more of the detective (although I never get why Batman fans felt there wasn't enough of the detective element in the Nolan films), a more capable fighter, a master strategist, always 1 step ahead of everyone, etc.

Alex Proyas... he could work but I still haven't forgiven him for Knowing. Good God, that movie needs to be Rifftraxed. What a piece of sh**.

I know every director has made a bad film but... seriously. Was he TRYING to make the worst movie ever made? Because he came pretty close.

I'm going to wait and see how Snyder does Batman in this movie before I decide whether I'd want him on a Batman solo.

I don't know. Snyder, for all his visual panache, usually keeps his movies pretty serious and straight-faced, which could be a problem when adapting all the surreal imagery and overstated personalities that, imo, are key components of Batman's world. I just can't see the guy behind Leonidas and Rorschach giving a faithful presentation of the Joker or Arkham Asylum.

I don't know. Snyder, for all his visual panache, usually keeps his movies pretty serious and straight-faced, which could be a problem when adapting all the surreal imagery and overstated personalities that, imo, are key components of Batman's world. I just can't see the guy behind Leonidas and Rorschach giving a faithful presentation of the Joker or Arkham Asylum.

Snyder does take his movies seriously. Do you think, combined with Batman's world and how popular it is to take Batman super seriously, that Snyder would make a movie so serious that it becomes absurd? Like how dark comics got in the 90s to the point that they got ridiculous.

That would be my worry. Think about how may slow-mo scenes of Thomas and Martha Wayne getting shot and hitting the ground with Bruce screaming "NOOOOO" to the heavens you could endure before you started to laugh.

So here's a new question. Faced with Batman fans getting what they claim they've wanted to see all this time in BvS - mainly a Batman in live action who is more a rendering of the comic book Batman - do you thing, under Snyder's direction, that it will be as satisfying as they believe it will be?

I couldn't speak to that. I didn't necessarily want Batman to be introduced in the MoS sequel, nor have I particularly cared about seeing "Bat-God" in a movie. I've always been a bigger fan of Bat-MAN.

I worry that if they make him too much of a badass, it could start to become overkill and people will start to roll their eyes at it.

I couldn't speak to that. I didn't necessarily want Batman to be introduced in the MoS sequel, nor have I particularly cared about seeing "Bat-God" in a movie. I've always been a bigger fan of Bat-MAN.

I worry that if they make him too much of a badass, it could start to become overkill and people will start to roll their eyes at it.

We had Batman for three films straight.

Let's up the ante a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"