"It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread - Part 1

Discuss our favorite hero with a heart of rock.

I could have missed it, but is Thing naked the whole time as Thing?

Guess that answers that question from the second movie.

He's naked, yes.

Theory: This is going to be how they explain why Ben only has four digits per hand in this "grounded, gritty" take. He has five now, but he'll chop one off and have it attached elsewhere after deciding he'd rather have a- *dragged off and beaten by the mods*

...Wow...

It's like this thread has become a Family Guy bit.

The Thing has no thing and no butt-crack. So how's he gonna eat a Thingburger washed down with Orange Crush? Once that crap goes in, no crap (or anything else) can come out. That would be a seriously crappy situation for Mr. Grimm. :eek:

The Thing has no thing and no butt-crack. So how's he gonna eat a Thingburger washed down with Orange Crush? Once that crap goes in, no crap (or anything else) can come out. That would be a seriously crappy situation for Mr. Grimm. :eek:

Oh it all comes out. Just a different way.

Think about a dam made of rocks with a dirty river behind it.

He looks okay in some shots but really weird and irregular in others. I hadn't been able to decide if it was bad design or bad CGI, but I'm starting to think it's both.

Thing1.jpg

thing2.jpg

thing3.jpg

I agree he looks good in some shots and not so much in others, I think they are still working on the CGI that's why.

I agree he looks good in some shots and not so much in others, I think they are still working on the CGI that's why.

I hope so. The top photo I posted above looks particularly unfinished. The 'rocks' look sort of disconnected at points.

Actually I found the bottom shot of the Thing to be the worst part of the trailer. He and everyone else look like they are standing in front of a green screen.

The movie allegedly had just been completed a few days prior to the release of the trailer, so they probably used completed footage in it. I'm not sure anything will be fixed. Also, anybody remember that rumor on 4chan that Ben's size is just inconsistent throughout the film due to Trank's weird demands? Odd, that...

The movie allegedly had just been completed a few days prior to the release of the trailer, so they probably used completed footage in it. I'm not sure anything will be fixed. Also, anybody remember that rumor on 4chan that Ben's size is just inconsistent throughout the film due to Trank's weird demands? Odd, that...

What the heck? lol.... not sure if serious.

He's not. Its from the 4Chan leak that happened a few months ago, it started as a leak from someone who was connected to one of the CGI teams but that part tends to get overshadowed by the later part of the thread with someone claiming to be Trank. The Trank part is probably fake by the CGI stuff could be true as Fox's lawyers threw around the takedown orders on sites that talked about it.

(An archive of it can be read here: https://archive.moe/co/thread/72438142/#q72447990

What the guys said was:

Trank wants the Thing to be big, we tried to stay consistent in size, but he will randomly send notes saying "he has to be bigger here."
so his size is more or less dependent from one scene to the next.

He looks okay in some shots but really weird and irregular in others. I hadn't been able to decide if it was bad design or bad CGI, but I'm starting to think it's both.

Thing1.jpg

thing2.jpg

thing3.jpg

The 3d model is done, where they touch up CGI comes in is making the model not be too jarring in the shot. So that he looks like he looks like he could belong in the world. That is done with different lighting techniques in some Adobe photoshop like programs.

At the comic-con panel Josh said he finished the movie not long ago. People are taking it to believe they just finished wrapping instead of it just being edited and sent to the studio for review.

Last edited:
Yeah in some shots he looks great and in others he looks like one of those rock transformers in the movie Noah.

Probably has to do with the fact they are using multiple FX producers?!

MPC, Pixomondo, Rodeo FX

Not 100% sure about the last two, but Pixomondo and Rodeo FX tweet FF stuff.

.... and of course OTOY's rendering services.

Last edited:
MPC, Pixomondo, Rodeo FX

Not 100% sure about the last two, but Pixomondo and Rodeo FX tweet FF stuff.

.... and of course OTOY's rendering services.

MPC did work on FF but it's not unusual. Weta and MPC are also working together for Batman V Superman as well. In my line of expertise with video games, a game studio will contract out various parts of a project. Weta could of been in charged mocap and MPC with some other aspect. The closer we get to release its all hands on deck.

Yeah I'm familiar with that aspect of how VFX works in the film industry. Big VFX movies do hire multiple studios to get the shots in time. But I was suggesting it because they started doing it with OTOY and then had to hire bigger FX companies. Not sure what the whole story is though, so nothing is conclusive.

OTOY offers softwares to film-makers to model and animate through cloud rendering, so there is bound to be differences when you have CG shots done in house and through professional FX companies.

And of course all of the Thing's shots could have done by one studio. Some shots look off because they may not be finalized and are being replaced now.

Yeah I'm familiar with that aspect of how VFX works in the film industry. Big VFX movies do hire multiple studios to get the shots in time. But I was suggesting it because they started doing it with OTOY and then had to hire bigger FX companies. Not sure what the whole story is though, so nothing is conclusive.

OTOY offers softwares to film-makers to model and animate through cloud rendering, so there is bound to be differences when you have CG shots done in house and through professional FX companies.

And of course all of the Thing's shots could have done by one studio. Some shots look off because they may not be finalized and are being replaced now.

That story comes from a poster on this board who has a friend who worked on the movie. As the story goes Trank thought he could use OTOY by himself and delayed the film which forced Weta and MPC to come in late in the game.

The story could be true but it's unlikely for several reasons. Weta was attached to the vfx as early as comic-con last year according to IMDB. I'm aware of how wrong they could be but I can't find anything to contradict it. The other being Trank at this point in his career doesn't the pull to. He's the director and he was was hired by the producers who do all the hiring for the film. It's like a shift manager at McDonalds deciding how you cook the burgers.

I like to think of OTOY is to 3d Artist what a faster drying paint is to a painter. From my reading on the octane renderer renders 50x's faster than you would in the traditional method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"