• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

James Cameron's Sequel to "AVATAR" - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
about time indeed if true. i guess a 2016 release for the first sequel is a reasonable guess?

Saldana On The "Avatar" Sequel Delay

By Garth Franklin Saturday May 11th 2013 10:44AM
Out on the "Star Trek Into Darkness" promo trail, actress Zoe Saldana tells MTV that she's been in touch with James Cameron about how the "Avatar" film sequels are progressing:
"I know that he's sort of been removing himself from things that might distract him so that he can focus on doing the final tweaks on the scripts. He did share that he's in a very interesting and fragile place, because the story is dictating itself.
You walk a fine line when you're the creator of the story you're going to tell, of the manipulation that you may have unconsciously of the story and the characters versus allowing the story to unfold it, because you did create such a monumental and solid platform that they're just living and breathing organisms and they're the ones that need to make their own decisions.
I'm geek talking right now, but that's how intense it affects me and how I feel about amazing storytellers like James Cameron, like J.J. Abrams. They create things that are real out of unimaginable scenarios, and that is beautiful to me."
Saldana was the one who recently indicated an early 2014 date is being targeted to begin filming the "Avatar" sequels back-to-back.
Source: MTV

I'm guessing they're also waiting out The Hobbit.

Also one of the contributing factors. Avatar was such a massive project for WETA they basically couldn't handle other projects. There were only a couple shots they did for District 9 .

Hmmmm

didnt Fox say they had a big surprise at Comic Con???

I'm thinking that was a tease for the Predator stuff they've continued to hint at.

^Well the Predator stuff is only a 3D release for blu-ray now, so maybe Avatar 2 release date is the big surprise?

The only way I see it is if they start right now. How cheap can all that CGI get? Yeah, a lot of the assets already exist, but he's been talking about Pandora's ocean. That'd be all new. They'd need more time.

yay for potential official avatar 2 (and 3 obviously) news!

The only way I see it is if they start right now. How cheap can all that CGI get? Yeah, a lot of the assets already exist, but he's been talking about Pandora's ocean. That'd be all new. They'd need more time.

Can't see the current CG characters changing much but they would be new principle actors so that's more work and the environments would need made from scratch. I don't see this movie making 2015.
The upside is 2016 Nov/Dec is completely free as Hobbit would have finished.

Avatar 2 Test Footage Showcased at SIGGRAPH
Although movement on Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 has seemed fairly quiet as of late, producer Jon Landau delighted attendees at the SIGGRAPH 2013 conference last night with a first look at test footage from the upcoming sci-fi sequel.

Nothing too shocking was revealed in the footage, which The Hollywood Reporter describes as having featured both human and Na'vi characters in a computer-generated environment, but it should serve as a nice reminder to fans that the much-anticipated sequel is on the way.

Landau spoke of the technological challenges of the sequels in an interview earlier this year, revealing then that the films will feature underwater performance capture.

You know I just realized that a 2016 release date would be a full 7 years after the first film which is a long time but is actually same gap that their was between Cameron's Terminator films.

James Cameron Recruits 'Terminator' Series Creator Josh Friedman For 'Avatar 2' (Exclusive)

James Cameron has recruited Josh Friedman, who created Fox's cult hit series "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," to work on the screenplay for the much-anticipated "Avatar 2," an individual familiar with the 20th Century Fox project has told TheWrap.

Friedman did not immediately respond to a request for comment, and a representative for his agency, UTA, referred TheWrap to Cameron's production company Lightstorm Entertainment.

Lightstorm's COO and "Avatar" producer Jon Landau, reached by TheWrap, said: "I would not comment on 'Avatar 2' one way or the other way."

Fox did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Friedman has a long-standing relationship with Fox, having created its series "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" and written a "Locke & Key" pilot for the Fox network. He also served as a producer on Fox's short-lived series "The Finder."

Friedman is a logical choice to work on the "Avatar 2," screenplay, as Cameron has entrusted the writer with his previously established characters, such as Sarah and John Connor. Friedman earned strong reviews as he expanded the "Terminator" mythology.

"Avatar" is the highest-grossing movie of all time, having amassed nearly $2.8 billion worldwide. With that in mind, it's fair to say that by default, "Avatar 2" is the most highly-anticipated sequel in the history of movies.

Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana are expected to return for "Avatar 2."

Friedman's previous screenwriting credits include Steven Spielberg's 2005 remake of "War of the Worlds" and Brian De Palma's serial killer thriller "The Black Dahlia." He also received story credit on the 1996 Keanu Reeves movie "Chain Reaction" and wrote a "Locke & Key" pilot for the Fox network.

Friedman is repped by UTA and attorney Karl R. Austen.
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/colum...eries-creator-write-avatar-2-exclusive-106766

Thank God Cameron is having someone else do rewrite work on Avatar 2. At least the dialogue won't be as clunky.

I am surprised it's Josh Friedman of all people. I thought Laeta Kalogridis would have first dibs on rewrites.

I don't think Cameron will make his 2015 deadline, though it's probably for the best since 2015 is so loaded that's it's quickly becoming the template for 'Speilberg's theory of Hollywood's Implosion'.

I really liked Avatar and didn't mind any dialogue. Mostly I dig Cameron's execution of his corny blockbuster writing, he always makes it work on screen for me. But having someone else polish your script is almost always a good thing. And it means the film is closer to be ready for shooting. So it's all good news to me.

I don't think Cameron will make his 2015 deadline, though it's probably for the best since 2015 is so loaded that's it's quickly becoming the template for 'Speilberg's theory of Hollywood's Implosion'.

I think most of that glut is gonna be in the summer months. I think Avatar would be pretty safe in its late december release. Not that I think it's gonna make it for 2015 though anyways.

I guess it's probably going to be released around 2016, James Cameron's dialogue isn't that bad, he certainly knows to make his ideas work and make a strong script, unlike Lucas for example. But having good writer polish the script is allways a good thing. I know that if i was a filmmaker i would certainly hire somebody to polish the dialogue.

I am really interested to see what the script turns out like since the first film wasn't that original apart from CGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"