My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

I remember not minding the idea of Superman's suit being Kryptonian chain-mail.

If it’s a brand new Superman:

Blue elastic workout t shirt with a spray-painted bright red stencil of the Keyptonian glyph on his space ship, made by Ma Kent. Differentiated from the MOS suit origin.

Last edited:
40416ee3b7809e41ed907911ee3f5fd5-1.jpg
Something similar to this would be my preference.
( not my design )

Ideally, this would be an MCU Spider-Man/The Batman style reboot where Supes is already established, but…

I might be into an arc as far as his costuming goes. I know the New 52 gets a lot of **** (often with good reason), but in my mind, it would be cool to follow Clark on a journey from the t-shirt look (getting a hang of his powers and making a name for himself) to the main New 52 suit (gaining greater awareness of his alien origins) to the classic Superman suit (striking a balance between the alien and the man).

I understand people are tired of origin stories but we haven't had a great Superman film let alone a great Superman film that features his origin (S:TM not included as it's quite old now), I believe supes origin is one of the more interesting to cover, that can be full of fun and interesting adventures. I would go for a 3 hours standalone film that covers supes from the beginning all the way to his full established self, and then you can go into sequels if needed.

I understand people are tired of origin stories but we haven't had a great Superman film let alone a great Superman film that features his origin (S:TM not included as it's quite old now), I believe supes origin is one of the more interesting to cover, that can be full of fun and interesting adventures. I would go for a 3 hours standalone film that covers supes from the beginning all the way to his full established self, and then you can go into sequels if needed.
Ehhh… when you do it as well as that film did, the film’s age is irrelevant.

Then when you factor in how often we’ve seen it between TV and MOS (regardless of quality), I just don’t think there’s need to really spend anymore time on it. I’d rather take the narrative forward than back.

Ehhh… when you do it as well as that film did, the film’s age is irrelevant.

Then when you factor in how often we’ve seen it between TV and MOS (regardless of quality), I just don’t think there’s need to really spend anymore time on it. I’d rather take the narrative forward than back.

I agree on the quality aspect but I personally think it's only been done well once and that was back in the 70s. Lois and Clark didn't cover it, Superman Returns didn't cover it, animations I won't include. MOS did a horrible version of trying to sort of cover it. Superman and Lois just put in sprinkles of it. Smallville butchered it and changed the whole thing. Unless I'm missing something and I genuinely mean that, I don't think it really has been covered...

I'm not against just jumping in like it's Indian Jones or something but I also just love the origin and seeing child to teen Clark discovering himself.

We don’t need to see the origin again unless they’re gonna be truly different and include the Legion.

We don’t need to see the origin again unless they’re gonna be truly different and include the Legion.

I just really don't get this idea that we have been overexposed to his origin. It's not like just watching Batman's folks get shot and watching pearls fall to the ground. There are decades of his life that are integral and I think would be interesting to see and for sure it needs to be fresh and done differently to what we have seen in the past but I don't think that would be hard to do.

View attachment 56792
This is pretty neat. I'd like to see it edited further with a bit of texture and some fix ups to the belt, trunks and boots

While the pic is good, I think Cavill's face doesn't suit that kind of costume. He is just too serious and looks uncomfortable in such an outfit. Pretty much all the other Superman actors could pull it off but not Cavill. His face simply doesn't have any charm and he looks like someone told him to go and put that costume on and he did so unwillingly in case he got fired as Superman.

While the pic is good, I think Cavill's face doesn't suit that kind of costume. He is just too serious and looks uncomfortable in such an outfit. Pretty much all the other Superman actors could pull it off but not Cavill. His face simply doesn't have any charm and he looks like someone told him to go and put that costume on and he did so unwillingly in case he got fired as Superman.
Absolutely. I'm personally done with Cavill, I didn't create this photoshop but I just feel it's a good look at someone with a modern look wearing the old suit. To me it shows that a lighter, less overly designed suit can still work.

I just really don't get this idea that we have been overexposed to his origin. It's not like just watching Batman's folks get shot and watching pearls fall to the ground. There are decades of his life that are integral and I think would be interesting to see and for sure it needs to be fresh and done differently to what we have seen in the past but I don't think that would be hard to do.

Everybody knows the origin. You can sum up where he came from through dialogue or a montage. I don’t blame anyone who doesn’t want to waste screen time on it.

I could see something different being done in the Smallville part of his upbringing (using the Legion, like Boy Scout said), but Krypton’s been covered IMO. Shoot, the fact that General Zod is as well known as he is is a testament to that part of Superman’s origin being well-represented on screen.

I could see something different being done in the Smallville part of his upbringing (using the Legion, like Boy Scout said), but Krypton’s been covered IMO. Shoot, the fact that General Zod is as well known as he is is a testament to that part of Superman’s origin being well-represented on screen.

I'm not really talking so much about Krypton, I'm more so talking about his early life on earth. Clark often learns he is from krypton later in life so we can get to that point when he does. I personally think we overestimate people under 30 that actually know much about supes... That aren't on this forum.

I don't think they should redo the origin again. It would seem as if Superman doesn't have any other stories to tell. Each big screen version never gets past the origin, Luthor and Zod, origin, Luthor and Zod. Rinse and repeat.

I don't think they should redo the origin again. It would seem as if Superman doesn't have any other stories to tell. Each big screen version never gets past the origin, Luthor and Zod, origin, Luthor and Zod. Rinse and repeat.

I don't think they should redo the same thing over and over. I don't know why Zod is the go to as first villain. Like I said earlier I'm really just talking about his youth days of being super powered Clark.

Not trying to self promote my idea but I believe this is a way of showing adventures of a young Clark that would be fresh and interesting and that we haven't seen before.
Look, up in the sky!

I always thought a "UP" movie style opening would be the perfect way to introduce the character. Maybe even in a comic book type of way, and this could be done during the opening credits, therefore letting the movie start from there.

My biggest problem with Cavill is he is not charming on screen, and that is where the movies have failed. Gives us and actor with screen presence and charm, and we can go from there.

It would be fine IF the film were set in the 1940s.

I won't get it, but I basically want the Alex Ross suit. Just a plain old cloth costume. Bright colors, with trunks. Maybe swap out for the Fleischer symbol.

I don't know why but Superman wearing a cheesey, homemade costume just really, really appeals to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"