New Mutants New Mutants News and Discussion - Part 2

I didn't think it was going to do well before the lockdowns. Honestly it may do slightly better now since it is the 1st movie in theaters or whatever. Not sure how the whole box office money works, I don't see theaters charging the $13-20ishfor tickets like before so the amount it makes would be lower too.

I'll probably wait for Tenet since I just didn't have interest in New Mutants.

Yeah I think so too. People will just go out of boredom, or the fact that they feel they just have to go see a movie all because some places have theaters back open.

I think it goes against better judgment, but whatever.

Do we know if its even going to be out in at least 1,000 theater screens in North America? This would have gotten at least 2,000 theater screens if they released this back in 2018 or 2019. So I don't agree that this will slightly perform better. Theaters won't be in full seating capacity and this is not the first movie in theaters that is coming out post covid-19 vaccine release. I would be surprised if it gets more than 7k in its first 3 days.

the advantage Fox has always had is that they receive a much higher % of the international box office than other companies. That's why they were fine with the box office of Apocalypse and First Class. That said, this movie isn't going to break any records.

Going to see it Sep 2 with some friends though. (Not a US citizen) Two of them aren't even comic book fans, but have wanted to see the movie since the first trailer. Happy to see we finally get the chance.

yiki

Generic and, at its best, straining to be heartfelt, director Josh Boone’s adaptation of the Marvel spin-off comic series is a Marvel movie spinoff in its own right, making vague references to the X-Men franchise but attempting to stand on its own. Unfortunately it rarely does, even if the film’s trio of young and tough female leads manages to give your typically male-dominated genre something of a feminine twist.

Much is left unexplained as to why the kids are there and whom exactly Dr. Reyes works for — the characters briefly mention Professor X’s mutant academy — yet there’s something so generic about the setup and situations that the intrigue only carries us so far. Even the handful of twists meant to be vaguely new, such as a same-sex love affair between two of the heroines, wind up feeling familiar, which is perhaps why Boone actually inserts a clip from an episode of Buffy showing the same thing.

The movie isn’t even as scary as it could be, a fact that could be explained by the need to maintain a PG-13 rating, but in the end we’re only reminded of recent teen horror ensembles like It that worked much better.

At best, Boone coaxes good performances from his cast, especially the troika of Blu, Taylor-Joy and Williams, who add layers of panache and emotion to their characters while kicking ass at the same time. ... It’s just too bad the movie that launched them doesn’t have the same impact. As far as the mutant franchise goes, it never makes its last stand.

I just am tickled by the fact that this movie actually has been reviewed after 100 years.

It really does exist lol.

Probably won't be many press reviews for this
The New Mutants opens this week. Here’s why we’re not reviewing it

Basically no screenings and they don't wanna send their writers to the theaters anyway. Which makes sense.

Then again people are reviewing Tenet. So idk

In other words, the only way critics will be able to see The New Mutants is if they buy a ticket and go to a theater, just like everyone else.

As if that's suppose to get my sympathy for them. They're willing to go to a theatre, just one that they know the rabble can't get into... because of the pandemic! Only critics are safe at a free pre-screening.

I get what they're saying, it's just poorly worded. The truth is, they don't want to go out of their way for what they know will be crap.

However, according to sources familiar with New Mutants’ production, Boone and his co-writer, Knate Lee, were reluctant or outright unwilling to implement such script changes requested by the studio, requiring round after round of rewrites and one intervention-like roundtable read just before filming. Once principal photography was finished, Fox was so displeased with the initial cut the studio discussed throwing the entire movie out to “start over” with a total reshoot. The controversial finished product — a PG-13 dark fantasy pulsed with “jump scares” if not outright horror or gore — then fell victim to the studio merger and the ensuing uncertainty over “What now constitutes a Disney film?” Answer: not this.

“It was understood this was going to be X-Men at a price,” says a source with knowledge of New Mutants’ development, who, like several people quoted here, spoke to Vulture on condition of anonymity citing ongoing business sensitivities.

Trouble was, Lee and Boone’s initial 2015 screenplay drafts failed to deliver the kind of vividly drawn teen drama the filmmaker had pitched to the studio. Moreover, the script’s crude humor needed toning down. “Josh was sending around posters where [the New Mutants] characters are put into the Breakfast Club poster. The Legend of Billie Jean was another movie he was always bringing up,” says another source with knowledge of the production. “Punk-rock-y, rebellious teens are already baked into the X-Men, but here, one of the characters was a misogynist and graffiti-ing his penis on stuff. There were head scratchers. Like, That’s not going to work.

Further, some outside observers felt Boone and Lee’s initial script violated viewers’ expectations for beloved X-Men characters such as Storm, a powerful mutant capable of psychically controlling the weather, who turned up as a kind of prison warden in early versions of Mutants. “She was their sadistic jailer,” says one source. “It felt like the kids were being tortured. If the X-Men are holding [the young mutants] there, it can’t feel different from the mental furniture that audiences bring into the theater knowing that the X-Men are good guys. Storm like that made no sense.” (A spokesperson for Disney said Boone was unavailable to speak with Vulture for this article.)

The studio eventually brought in outside help, enlisting Fault in Our Stars writers Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber to give an uncredited punch-up to the characters. But according to sources who spoke to Vulture, the director remained at a creative “impasse” with Kinberg.
The cycle went like this: New versions of the script would come in, then Boone would revise them by replacing or eliminating some of the work that had been added.

By the winter of 2016, however, Fox officially got cold feet about the direction in which New Mutants was heading.
Studio chairperson–chief executive Stacey Snider personally ordered the course correction. “Stacey didn’t want to do anymore Breakfast Club parts. It had to be horror. Straight horror,” a source tells Vulture. Another source adds, “They had zero faith the horror-[teen movie]-hybrid version would work in the marketplace.”

A roundup of uncredited screenwriters were again hauled in, this time to dial up Mutants’ scares. But according to people close to Mutants, Boone continued to reject script changes as they came in: “Josh and Knate clarified the horror. Then [the Fox executives] bring in another outside writer. And then Josh went back again. There was this pattern where it would be Josh, then someone. Then Josh, then someone. Then Josh. That went back and forth.”

The conflict came to a head in 2017, just before cameras were set to roll. Fox organized a roundtable script reading in New York to compel Boone to come around to their suggested “notes” to improve the film. In addition to Boone, Lee, and Young, the studio assembled six or seven of the uncredited writers who had been working on New Mutants up until that point as well as Scott Frank, a top-tier screenwriter behind Logan and 2013’s The Wolverine, who has functioned as a kind of secret X-Men whisperer, advising on many of the franchise’s films. According to a Vulture insider, the collected group delivered a roundelay of critiques, pointing out lapses in logic, deficits of humor, and underdeveloped characters. “Josh pushed back a little,” a source says. “People would be like, ‘This doesn’t make sense.’ And Josh would try to explain it. Enthusiasm is not an explanation.”

At this point, according to three sources with knowledge of the project, Fox was hardly sanguine about New Mutants’ commerciality. Even with the world-beating success of the 2017 Stephen King horror adaptation It — which took in $700.4 million worldwide against a $35 million production budget — held up as a comparable work, significant doubt lingered about whether Mutants’ scary-meets-super tone would find an audience. In postproduction, a studio executive noted that a total do-over would not necessarily be a financial wipeout given the film’s relatively bargain budget. “You could throw the movie out, start over, and it would still be the least expensive X-Men movie so far,” the sources recall a high-ranking Fox executive claiming.

Yet New Mutants went ahead as is. Once Disney inherited the project in earnest last year, marketers puzzled over where such a dark-fantasy film featuring depictions of madness and a Native American massacre would fit into the Mouse House’s family-friendly corporate ethos. A release scheme on either Hulu or Disney+ was seriously discussed,

-------------------------------------------
so the disney+ or hule idea were real.

What Happened to The New Mutants?

great long article on behind scene drama.
so.. slugzilla was right? lol
Not really.
-He still falsely claimed there were major reshoots happening, but the article says to the contrary.
-He claimed that Boone was an ass (I'm pretty sure "abusive" was used) on set and there's nothing in the article about that unless I missed it.
-He claimed that the movie was cancelled and/or for sure going to streaming. He claimed his "sources" told him that

Basically the article was just a long way to say what we all speculated about New Mutants from the first delay and most other films with severe delay issues. There were/are creative clashes, the studio didn't know what they want, the director didn't want to go with it. This isn't new

So if you want to give him credit for being right on basically saying what we were all speculating for years then sure.

I don't get why people on here are so infatuated with slugzilla when he's been proven wrong about so many things so many times that he left the site.

It's actually a shame because I was hoping the story would be more interesting than this

EDIT: I think he might've been right about the Storm thing. I'm not sure but I'll give credit for being right about that

Last edited:
Not really.
-He still falsely claimed there were major reshoots happening, but the article says to the contrary.
-He claimed that Boone was an ass (I'm pretty sure "abusive" was used) on set and there's nothing in the article about that unless I missed it.
-He claimed that the movie was cancelled and/or for sure going to streaming. He claimed his "sources" told him that

Basically the article was just a long way to say what we all speculated about New Mutants from the first delay and most other films with severe delay issues. There were/are creative clashes, the studio didn't know what they want, the director didn't want to go with it. This isn't new

So if you want to give him credit for being right on basically saying what we were all speculating for years then sure.

I don't get why people on here are so infatuated with slugzilla when he's been proven wrong about so many things so many times that he left the site.

It's actually a shame because I was hoping the story would be more interesting than this

EDIT: I think he might've been right about the Storm thing. I'm not sure but I'll give credit for being right about that

1. you lost me on this already. clearly didn't followed his post at all.
major reshoot were planned, as confirmed by many other major medias. but it was cancelled. and we got this new first from who..?
slugzilla. lol

2. the article did mentioned that he was difficult to work with. constantly rejecting others writers and fox's opinion.
slugzilla did say he over worded it and it's his personal experience.

3. he didn't simply say that. he said he heard there're other options like streaming are discussed and he heard it from friend at higher position. and that's all.
and this just got confirmed by that vulture article.

Right or wrong, people were wanting to hear what he said. It was the only attention this sub-forum got at times. Few people seemed to care for the prospect of this movie.

Oh. Should the movie get a special award or something? Thats like saying a bad film didnt have a good director or enough resources, therefore we should just be easy on it.

No test screenings? don't tell me Disney and foX just delayed the film without seeing a full cut of the film! The movie had its teaser released in late 2017 fyi. If there were no post prod, who edited the film, added music and vfx then? Disney isn't releasing a draft or just a collection of scenes.

Saying that the movie didn't have post-production is obviously not true because otherwise we wouldn't have a finished film playing in the theaters right now. But it is true that there were no pick-ups or reshoots which are nowadays pretty much the norm for these types of films. And while the movie was screened internally, it's possible that they never did test screenings with randomized audiences (then again Disney doesn't do those for MCU and Star Wars films either).

New Mutants co-creator Bob McLeod has some choice words to say about New Mutants.

upload_2020-8-28_9-42-44.jpeg

So they couldn’t even be bothered to spell one of the creators name properly when they credited him?Also nice to know the creator of New Mutants also took issue with the white-washing in this movie. Shameful.

Last edited:
Oh. Should the movie get a special award or something? Thats like saying a bad film didnt have a good director or enough resources, therefore we should just be easy on it.

No test screenings? don't tell me Disney and foX just delayed the film without seeing a full cut of the film! The movie had its teaser released in late 2017 fyi. If there were no post prod, who edited the film, added music and vfx then? Disney isn't releasing a draft or just a collection of scenes.
I don't agree with that tweet, just posting here so that we can see different opinions.

That tweet doesntmake sense as this movie went to post prod just like any other movies.

That tweet doesntmake sense as this movie went to post prod just like any other movies.

That person is specifically referring to the fact that the movie didn't have pick-ups, re-shoots or test screenings with random audiences (that would theoretically inform re-shoots).

After Boone slated Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix, it is quite funny this is getting worse reviews than either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"