Quantic Dream's Beyond

Features

Behind the Scenes at Quantic Dream

Shaun heads to Beyond: Two Souls developer Quantic Dream to chat with Chief Technical Officer Damien Castelltort about the groundbreaking new technology they built for the game.

And as they said in the full show after this segment, the demo will be out tomorrow.

Shows

September 30 – EP Daily – Full Show

Shaun heads to Beyond: Two Souls developer Quantic Dream; Ben casts a spell on the magical new TV series Witches of East End; Ben gets a hands-on look at the multiplayer in Call of Duty: Ghosts; Shaun...

source:EPD.TV/ROTR

Last edited:
I've played the demo for this. But I had to turn it off before it ended because I think my PS3 was overheating and causing weird graphical glitches.

As for the demo itself, it's very much an interactive movie demo with QTEs (surprise). The demo was not up to the adventure game standards like others I have played like the Broken Sword series or Maniac Mansion games or others that have real thought put into the gameplay and puzzles. Even the Walking Dead adventure game demo felt better than this though that too could have been more robust than it was.

I don't really see what the point of paying money for this is when you can just watch it on Youtube.

I liked the demo. Not sure I want to pay full price for the game, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing it.

• [YT]t3tRKGF8-lA[/YT]
  • Quantic Dream's Beyond: Two Souls Is Not Like Heavy Rain

Preview
    on Oct 04, 2013 at 08:49 PM
    ps3-icon.png

If you jumped right from Heavy Rain to Beyond: Two Souls, you might be surprised by Quantic Dream's changes in tone and gameplay. The two games are very different, but don't take our word for it.
    ... More
source: GI

• GI Rating 7.75
    Beyond: Two Souls

hot-post.png
    ps3-icon.png

on Oct 08, 2013 at 09:00 AM

David Cage's Beyond: Two Souls is an emotional, powerful, and sometimes muddled experience.
    ... More

Beyond: Two Souls

Review

Ghosts, Ellen Page, covert ops and a surprisingly high body count! We've searched our soul to bring the final word on Beyond.
Views: 92,007 | Posted: 10/08/2013

GT's score 7.2

GB's score 3/5 stars

Reviews

Beyond: Two Souls Review
Steve and Raju go Beyond with Two Souls...

Synopsis:They went beyond with two souls. Great story with excellent performances /mo cap and it succeeds on so many levels.

Raju's score 8.0 Steve's score 8.0

source: GI, GT, Giant Bomb & EPD.TV/ROTR

Last edited:
well you saw all of the reviews here's a day late test camber from Game informer

• Test Chamber - Beyond: Two Souls

Feature
    on Oct 09, 2013 at 06:40 PM
    ps3-icon.png

David Cage's latest strange tale has been divisive, pleasing some and alienating others. In this Test Chamber, we give you a taste of a episode early in the game which depicts a teenage party gone horribly awry.
    ... More

source: GI

So I've been playing this the past couple days. It's okay so far. I think I've played about five hours. Unlike Heavy Rain I don't really feel like the "choices" are as obvious or frequent. It feels a little too much like I'm just along for the ride, and rather than making choices you're given more "opportunities" to succeed or fail at something rather than make a decision.

For example, there's a part where you need to escape from a burning building and I screwed up one of the QTE and I think that landed me in a hospital as oppose to escaping. I'm not sure. Heavy Rain felt more clear in terms of what I was doing and what kind of consequences it might have. Here I'm just not sure what will happen based on the few decisions I have made.

I like the story though and the graphics are awesome. Like Heavy Rain it's a great game to watch, but unfortunately the gameplay doesn't have me very enthusiastic yet. Right now the combat consists solely of pushing the stick in a certain direction as Jodie and then pulling the sticks back when you play as Aiden. Hopefully it will pick up later in the game.

Last edited:
I think what he's doing was something I saw when I was in high school, which used to be on the discovery channel. It was something on the genres of video games and there were some video games that felt like interactive movies in the way David cage made this.

The show was called beyond 2000 from the beyond series which kept coming back on and off but always had beyond in it's name . The most recent being called beyond tomorrow. Which I think was Australian but it was a show on tech and other stuff . In the case I remember it was where a lot of Hollywood stuff was kinda being done in the video game industry that didn't do that with the rest of the other genres. It seem's he's still following that thing that was dropped by most others that were doing this originally .

Last edited:
Is anyone else finding the story really kinda disjointed? I like the idea of flashbacks and going into Jodie's past but the order seems completely random... Nothing is followed for dramatic effect, it's just all over the place. Just when you're getting into one storyline, BAM, you're an emo teenager for some reason.

Yeah, it feels really disjointed. It would be one thing if they jumped around between moments that related to each other in some way or form, but like you said, it's completely random and takes you out of the story.

Exploring different points in Jodie's life is an interesting idea, but some parts are just too short. It might have been better if they had just followed a straightforward timeline or maybe grouped certain age segments into longer blocks instead of jumping around.

This has been mentioned almost everywhere that has talked about beyond two souls and it being polarizing on reviews and the people that have played it as well being you either like it or you don't.

It's disjointed indeed and a lot of people have mentioned it. The thing is David cage needs someone to keep him focused on what is the point of putting such a scene within the story and how it was related to her story in the present day.

In other words he needs a script editor other wise he meanders and it comes off as having such scene's like that feel pointless in why they are there and why there were necessary to the story in her present day.

Last edited:
I think the best way would have been to establish a fixed point, maybe the train "on the run" segment, and then have a series of different flashbacks. Let the flashbacks be disjointed, but keep coming back to a constant timeline, as an anchor point. I mean, that would just be sensible storytelling. What they did feels... Almost lazy. None of it feels deliberate.

Dlc for this is on it's way
Beyond: Two Souls channels Portal in Advanced Experiments DLC trailer

(1 day ago)

Sony gives a quick look at the recently released "Advanced Experiments" DLC pack for Beyond: Two Souls in the new trailer above, showcasing protagonist Jodie's half-hour trek through a series of Portal-inspired physical challenges. The Advanced Experiments DLC is priced at $4.99, and is available ... Continue Reading

source:Joystiq

I had it with my copy. It's no big deal.
But the game is great.

Walmart has this for $25 next week. Amazon said they will match some $25 videogames so hopefully this is one of them. I still have my $20 promo credit in my account and looking to score this for $5

game stop has it for 39 til sunday including the metal case one I may have to snag it up.

I loved this game. I actually finished it in one sitting. Lol. I sat down thinking "Alright, it's late. Why dont we just turn it on and test it out for now, then I'll keep playing it tomorrow." Next thing I knew the game was over.

I was emotionally involved in it (probably too much at some points XD) and felt as if I actually knew Jodie and Aiden. So, the developers and Cage definitely did a good job there, as well as the actors! Some of the actors such as the little kids were a little goofy and took you out of the game at some points, but as far as Ellen Page and Willem Defoe are concerned, they did an amazing job.

Heavy Rain was an amazing game and so was this one. I don't feel right in comparing them because they were so different in so many ways.

I would confidently give this game a 10/10

I bought and beat this game a few weeks ago but never posted about it till now. Never before have I been so conflicted about how I felt while playing till the end. I made up my mind that this was a 6.5 after a few hours of play and my main reasoning was how the story was presented. The way it kept jumping back and forth was a turn off with no justification on why Cage took this approach as it didn’t strengthen the story, but made it disjointed and confusing. I bumped up my score to a 7 while playing the end segments as things really started to come together and there was more choices and gameplay than most of the game. My final score would be an 8 and that’s bc theres an explanation for the story jumping giving in the epilogue that made sense and I wasn’t expecting to get one. I'll just put the rest of my post in spoiler tags so I dont have to be worried about ruining it for anyone
With that said, I think he probably could have released a stronger product had it had more consistency. How many will actually play to the end as opposed to getting frustrated and dropping it early on? I think the game should have featured two timelines. You started off with Jodie’s CIA training and then flashback to when she was a kid leading up to that point. Keep those two timeline separate but presented in chronological order when you do get to them.

The gameplay or lack thereof wasnt good here. Most of the option prompts amounted to just hitting the right analog stick when a dot appeared onscreen. I actually liked HR's contextual prompts with the buttons and stick motions. That at least felt more interactive. The combat was intuitive but a mess. It was hard to judge right direction to move the stick considering the camera would also change direction. I found myself failing quite a bit and didnt feel like my fault, but more a struggle with the game's poor design. Thank god I played the game in duo mode bc the controls for Aiden in solo mode were a mess.

I also hate how the name of Aiden is pronounced. They say Eye-Den when I keep expecting it to be Ay-den. Coincidentally, Nathan pronounces it the latter way.

What I liked? I thought the character of Jodie was intriguing as was her personal journey and relation to the various characters she comes across. I wish they had expanded more of her moving from place to place helping different people with her abilities (Homeless, Navajos). I liked that theme but it pretty much ended there

I read a review that said this game wants to be a movie but comes across more like a big budget tv show and that’s exactly how I felt playing it. It felt as if it was a tv show across a season with many mini arcs along the way.

I didn’t like how inconsistent Aiden was. The range was all over the place. In some chapters he couldnt move but a few feet from you but then you have others where he's several rooms away. It opened the door to too many plotholes. Like early on in the Embassy, Jodie's nosebleeds and she mentions this is what happens when she uses Aiden too long yet she only ever bleeds 2 more times in the game. I would switch to Aidan and just stand by her and of course nothing would happen. The biggest thing for me was towards the end when Jodie was strapped down and drugged. Aiden couldnt remove her from that bc he was too weak, yet he was able to go several rooms away and up a floor to find Cole/Ryan for her. Huh? Under normal circumstances a distance like that would be too much for him to handle yet when he's weaken, its absolutely no problem? Also why wouldnt she always use Aiden as a shield? It felt so contrived how she'd conveniently forget that was an option when it would make perfect sense to utilize.

I also wish there was better A.I. In the same Embassy scene, Id walk around as Jody and people wouldnt even look or react to her. Something so simple yet it made the game less immersive bc of this.

Overall it was an okay game. Not bad but not spectacular. Its nowhere near as good as HR IMO.

Beyond: Two Souls sales topped 1 million in 2013

(2 hours ago)

Quantic Dream's Beyond: Two Souls has exceeded one million in sales in 2013, the developer has revealed. Feel free to press X to guitar, Jodie – you've earned that shredathon!

Beyond: Two Souls centers around Jodie Holmes, a girl who has a unique connection with a spiritual entity known as Aiden. After being abandoned by her foster parents, Holmes is raised by a pair of researchers working in a fictional supernatural studies group within the US government.

Over 70,000 copies of Beyond: Two Souls sold in the studio's native country of France, Quantic Dream co-founder Guillaume de Fondaumière revealed on Twitter. That's better than Quantic Dream's previous game, Heavy Rain, did in its first 12 weeks of availability there, Fondaumière added.

Beyond: Two Souls, perhaps best known for its A-list talent in Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, launched in October of last year. In our review, we said the game "lies somewhere between vicariousness and voyeurism," and that ultimately "you're just the ghost in a ghost story, only appearing when the scene calls for a cheap scare."

source:EurogamerQuantic Dream

I finally snagged a copy in the metal box with all the extra download content as well as all the making of its a good game I wonder how they will top it any word on a QD game for PS4?

All these PS4 ports. Geez. I'd appreciate them more if I didn't play nearly everything under the sun before they get ported lol

Beyond: Two Souls PS4 trophies emerge, Director's Cut reported

(1 hour ago)

We're going to level with you. If there is any PS3 game from the last two years or so that you've been waiting to buy, you should consider waiting a little longer – because someone is probably remastering it as we speak. The latest to join the ever-growing pile of prettified PS3 re-releases could be the super cinematic, often goofy Page/Cage joint, Beyond: Two Souls.

A Director's Cut version of Beyond for PS4 was spotted on two German retail sites, according to IGN, though the listings have since been removed. Furthermore, online gaming activity site Exophase has posted trophies for the game, providing more evidence that our digital Willem Dafoe nightmares are far from over, and they're about to get an HD upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"