No Way Home Spider-Man: No Way Home Spoiler Discussion Thread

I mean it's Spider-Man, he has multiple cartoons, video games, like he's hands down one of the most popular characters of all time, there's no way the MCU is gonna be someone's introduction to the character unless they're incredibly young or have somehow managed to avoid Spider-Man media their entire life until he showed up in Civil War.
It happens lol, I mentioned a firsthand experience seeing that. A 9 year old and somebody in their 40s. Not everybody has every bit of pop culture ephemera baked into their brain or watches the cartoons, some things can get missed and that's just how it is. The old Stan Lee adage was that every Marvel comic could be somebody's first so they should always be accessible, I think the same should roughly apply to whenever they're reimagining the characters in movies. That doesn't mean repeating the same stuff again but just making it clear enough for people who are new that they don't miss out on any of the essential details. Even cartoons like Spectacular or the '90s show or the '60s show or both '80s shows all don't start with the origin but they always eventually make it clear for audiences why he's doing it.

I don't see how it's strawmanning, we all know the story, I don't see it needs to be brought up again like I don't already know about him.
By this point, the only reason I'd wanna see him again is just so people can shut up about it.
No idea why you're acting so condescending when we're having a civil discussion, but alright.

Even knowing the basic origin isn't even always enough. My brother-in-law is 37 years old and didn't understand why Holland and Garfield had webshooters. So you really can't assume everyone has the same info. Any piece of media can be the first exposure to a character or a concept surrounding that character.

No idea why you're acting so condescending when we're having a civil discussion, but alright.
I don't see how simply stating my thoughts is being condescending.
I don't care about seeing Ben anymore and I'd be fine with seeing him again solely so people can stop talking about him and we can move on to things that actually matter.

I don't see how simply stating my thoughts is being condescending...

I don't care about seeing Ben anymore and I'd be fine with seeing him again solely so people can stop talking about him and we can move on to things that actually matter.

I believe I found the answer you're looking for.

To be fair, the MCU has pretty much treated Ben as non-existent other than maybe that one scene in Civil War. The fact that there's not even a tombstone of him besides May's in NWH just adds fuel to the fire that he either never existed or is so irrelevant to Peter and May that he never mattered.

I'm still curious on how they'll handle Freshman Year, but I'm not expecting Ben to pop up in it. Or heck, if they want to, they can take a page from that Marisa Tomei interview where she wanted May to have a girlfriend/wife and just do a Michelle Jones-style revamp there. I honestly wouldn't mind it at this point.

If I'm remembering correctly, FFH had Uncle Ben's initials in a suitcase, so he (she?maybe she has the same initials BFP) probably did exist.

How would you guys feel about Harry Osborn becoming the MCU Green Goblin? I know his run in the comics sucked, but that would probably be the best way to do Green Goblin again without rehashing Norman Osborn.

Or would you rather not see Gobby ever?

How would you guys feel about Harry Osborn becoming the MCU Green Goblin? I know his run in the comics sucked, but that would probably be the best way to do Green Goblin again without re-hashing Norman Osborn.

Or would you rather not see Gobby?
They already did that in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

At this point, if they somehow they do bring in the Osborns, just have MCU Norman not become Green Goblin and instead go the corrupt politician/Dark Reign route with him.

I'd be cool with a Hobgoblin who was inspired by seeing Norman, but I don't need any more major Osborn focus.

At this point, if they somehow they do bring in the Osborns, just have MCU Norman not become Green Goblin and instead go the corrupt politician/Dark Reign route with him.

I mean this movie pretty firmly established there are not any Osborns in the MCU.

And I think trying to introduce an MCU version of them would just feel lacklustre after DaFoe pretty much owned the role yet again here

Anyone that follows is going to be the Jared Leto to his Heather Ledger

One thing I'm curious about is has there been any indications as to how much time had passed for Maguire's and Garfield's Spideys since the respective events of S-M3 and TASM2 when they walk through the portals into the MCU?

I got the impression that some time had passed since those films took place in their respective universes. Especially in the case of Tobey.

I'd be cool with a Hobgoblin who was inspired by seeing Norman, but I don't need any more major Osborn focus.

I've had a similar thought as well. It seems pretty clear that we wont be getting a Green Goblin exclusive to the MCU so it'd have to be Hobgoblin pretty much.

What hostility?
I'm just saying I'm tired of hearing about Ben, either from people mad they don't talk about him in the MCU or the other Spider-Man iterations that constantly bring him up.
You seem pretty angry to me.
I mean it's Spider-Man, he has multiple cartoons, video games, like he's hands down one of the most popular characters of all time, there's no way the MCU is gonna be someone's introduction to the character unless they're incredibly young or have somehow managed to avoid Spider-Man media their entire life until he showed up in Civil War.
As I have pointed out to many posters here in the last 20 years....not everyone lives and breathes comic books and comic book superheroes like we do. There are plenty of people out there who know nothing or the bare minimum about comic book superheroes and their supporting characters.

The Hobgoblin angle makes more sense to me at this stage and they can borrow from a lot of sources for it. Can even play with the multiple identities thing and have Peter trying to figure out who's really behind it all. Ned becomes a suspect for a part of the movie. Have it turn out to be another MIT student/new friend of Peter's by the name of Harry Shaw. And Harry's been on a revenge mission against like Kingpin and his org.

I dunno, just spitballing.

One thing I'm curious about is has there been any indications as to how much time had passed for Maguire's and Garfield's Spideys since the respective events of S-M3 and TASM2 when they walk through the portals into the MCU?

I got the impression that some time had passed since those films took place in their respective universes. Especially in the case of Tobey.

Andrew: At minimum a year or two. During which Peter stopped "pulling his punches."

Tobey: Unclear how much time, but considering that he has clearly aged since SM3, one can assume it's been around anywhere from 9 to around 13 years. Although 13 years of "it's complicated" on-on-off with MJ is just preposterous, so I'm inclined to believe it's probably been closer to 9 (which doesn't sound great either.)

Last edited:
Changing topics a bit here fellas, but there's some plot points in NWH that I need clarification on...

If Strange's spell brought everyone from across the Multiverse who knew Peter's identity to the MCU proper, where were Gwen and MJ? How about the Maguireverse Venom? How about the two versions of Harry? Why were only some of the dead characters who knew Peter's identity ported over and not the rest?

And why was the Tom Hardy Venom ported over? As far as we know there are no Spider-Men in his universe. Was it because the Hardyverse symbiote shared knowledge of Peter's identity with the Maguireverse symbiote? In that case where was the Maguireverse Eddie Brock?

Sorry if these questions have been raised before. I don't have time to read through multiple pages of posts right now...

What did Lizard mean when he said "So it begins"? Was he referring to Jonah and the Bugle crew arriving or did he somehow sense Green Goblin taking back control of Norman?

I would rather they just run with Roderick Kingsley if they do Hobgoblin. He can frame Ned, that's fine

My pick for Hobgoblin would be Giancarlo Esposito. The man is an expert at playing villains. Denzel Washington would be great too if they wanted a bigger name.

Changing topics a bit here fellas, but there's some plot points in NWH that I need clarification on...

If Strange's spell brought everyone from across the Multiverse who knew Peter's identity to the MCU proper, where were Gwen and MJ? How about the Maguireverse Venom? How about the two versions of Harry? Why were only some of the dead characters who knew Peter's identity ported over and not the rest?

And why was the Tom Hardy Venom ported over? As far as we know there are no Spider-Men in his universe. Was it because the Hardyverse symbiote shared knowledge of Peter's identity with the Maguireverse symbiote? In that case where was the Maguireverse Eddie Brock?

Sorry if these questions have been raised before. I don't have time to read through multiple pages of posts right now...

1. Strange's spell: This is my theory: remember how Peter kept interrupting Strange while he was casting the spell? His interference caused the spell to become corrupted and "open the doors" of the multiverse. Therefore, during the time that the spell was about to be cast, the doors remained open and small amounts of people poured into the MCU.

However, eventually the spell was cancelled. Because of that, the doors were closed. So the damage wasn't as big as it could've been, and the rest of the multiverse people were stopped from coming in. Basically Strange canned the spell which resulted in the "doors of the multiverse" closing. Preventing trillions from entering. (Temporarily.)

When you think about it, it's possible others were summoned. It's possible that, say, a version of Kraven was brought into the MCU but he did not spawn in NYC. So we simply couldn't see him.

2. Venom: Yes, the writers have confirmed Venom was ported over because of his multiversal knowledge.

Last edited:
What did Lizard mean when he said "So it begins"? Was he referring to Jonah and the Bugle crew arriving or did he somehow sense Green Goblin taking back control of Norman?

Considering Dr. Connors was working on a cure for the Norman Osborn of his world in TASM1...

I think he probably knew about the Goblin and was expecting something to happen with this Norman.

Either that, or he was able to hear Goblin's sarcastic remarks to Doc Ock with his enhanced lizard senses (seen in TASM1 when he smelled Gwen hiding.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"