No Way Home Spider-Man: No Way Home Spoiler Discussion Thread

Actually the simple answer is he knew things were inevitably going to go wrong one way or another. Hence his line from earlier in the movie:

"Trust me, Peter. When you try to fix people, there are always consequences."

1. Strange's spell: This is my theory: remember how Peter kept interrupting Strange while he was casting the spell? His interference caused the spell to become corrupted and "open the doors" of the multiverse. Therefore, during the time that the spell was about to be cast, the doors remained open and small amounts of people poured into the MCU.

However, eventually the spell was cancelled. Because of that, the doors were closed. So the damage wasn't as big as it could've been, and the rest of the multiverse people were stopped from coming in. Basically Strange canned the spell which resulted in the "doors of the multiverse" closing. Preventing trillions from entering. (Temporarily.)

When you think about it, it's possible others were summoned. It's possible that, say, a version of Kraven was brought into the MCU but he did not spawn in NYC. So we simply couldn't see him.

2. Venom: Yes, the writers have confirmed Venom was ported over because of his multiversal knowledge.

Thanks so much for responding! Your answers make perfect sense based on what was established in the movie...

I'm still not entirely sold on the whole Multiverse concept. It feels a bit too much like a lazy narrative crutch.

"So we want to introduce Nightwatch into the MCU? Port him in from the Multiverse!"

Anyway, we'll see how things play out. Thanks again!

You seem pretty angry to me.
Honestly this is starting to border on gaslighting now.
As I have pointed out to many posters here in the last 20 years....not everyone lives and breathes comic books and comic book superheroes like we do. There are plenty of people out there who know nothing or the bare minimum about comic book superheroes and their supporting characters.
By this logic every new adaptation should rehash the same material

A brief reference in a superhero film that alludes to how the hero came to be is not rehashing material. Literally, no one here is asking to see the entire Uncle Ben scenario play out again. But like, we still don't know after nearly six years and five appearances (six if you include What If?) how and why Holland's Peter came to be a superhero beyond a spider biting him.

I have been bitten by many animals and none of those bites have motivated me to fight crime. Give us just a little more is all we're asking.

Last edited:
Honestly this is starting to border on gaslighting now.
I've been a moderator and administrator here for 20 years. I don't gaslight anyone....I simply call things as I see them.

By this logic every new adaptation should rehash the same material
Da-Scribe answers this probably better than I would have put it.
A brief reference in a superhero film that alludes to how the hero came to be is not rehashing material. Literally, no one here is asking to see the entire Uncle Ben scenario play out again. But like, we still don't know after nearly six years and five appearances (six if you include What If?) how and why Holland's Peter came to be superhero beyond a spider biting him.

I have been bitten by many animals and none of those bites have motivated me to fight crime. Give us just a little more is all we're asking.

Thanks so much for responding! Your answers make perfect sense based on what was established in the movie...

I'm still not entirely sold on the whole Multiverse concept. It feels a bit too much like a lazy narrative crutch.

"So we want to introduce Nightwatch into the MCU? Port him in from the Multiverse!"

Anyway, we'll see how things play out. Thanks again!

No prob!

So.....if Otto was transported to the MCU just before his redemption and death, what would have happened with the reactor? It was just about to tear NYC apart, so if Otto was snatched away before he sacrificed himself, does that mean "half of New York" just died?

I assume all of those who were transported back reappeared in their universe seconds after they disappeared. So no, nothing happened to New York.

Andrew: At minimum a year or two. During which Peter stopped "pulling his punches."

Tobey: Unclear how much time, but considering that he has clearly aged since SM3, one can assume it's been around anywhere from 9 to around 13 years. Although 13 years of "it's complicated" on-on-off with MJ is just preposterous, so I'm inclined to believe it's probably been closer to 9 (which doesn't sound great either.)

Doc Ock said Tobey was “all grown up” though. Maybe “it’s complicated” when it comes to MJ could just mens because he’s a superhero

If they do a goblin again can we actually have them be…. Green in the face? Or orange if they do hobgoblin.Like I loved Norman in no way home but he would been perfect with yellow eyes or green skin or a mask or something. Feels like they are to scared to go in that direction.

The Spidey Trinity.

FJ5AHsrXEAEdxI2

I've finally seen the movie now that theatres are open again here. Most of the movie was already spoiled for me, but I wanted to touch on this specifically:

I think down the line the #1 thing NWH will be remembered for is it finally made Tom Holland Spider-Man. I think his movies are going to unite all the fandoms and make people excited for his future trilogy. SHH had become a ghost town about Spider-Man because most of the diehards did not like the direction the character had taken in the MCU.

No more:
- IronBoy Jr.
- Avenger Sidekick
- Technology/Privilege gets him out of everything
I think it's good that we're going back to the basics here, but the above was more a Sony problem than an MCU one, right?

If I remember correctly Sony added a clause in the contact that forced the appearance of a main MCU character in each movie. It guaranteed that Feige and his team couldn't just leave Spider-Man in his own little corner (like Venom), but it's also why we have Iron Man/Fury/Strange in mentor roles here.

I'm glad we're moving away from that now though. Holland has been an amazing Spider-Man, even if I haven't always loved his movies. Very excited to see what they do with him in the future!

to be fair, just cause MCU character(s) were contractually obligated to appear, didn't mean Spider-man had to play second fiddle to them or be in a mentor/mentee role with them...

to be fair, just cause MCU character(s) were contractually obligated to appear, didn't mean Spider-man had to play second fiddle to them or be in a mentor/mentee role with them...
I legitimately don't know which characters they could've thrown in there, with a significant amount of screentime, but without a big age difference / mentor role tbh. Let alone for all three movies that had the clause. It definitely restricted what they could do at the very least.

Last edited:
An "older" character doesn't automatically have to equal "mentor" role... just saying

If I remember correctly Sony added a clause in the contact that forced the appearance of a main MCU character in each movie.
You got a source on that? Everything I've read on this shows that Marvel wasn't forced to use anyone.

You got a source on that? Everything I've read on this shows that Marvel wasn't forced to use anyone.
The one character thing has been mentioned pretty frequently. I didn't mean to say that the MCU was locked into specific characters, but more that Sony forced in the "one character at minimum" through the clause.

Sony will get a to-be-determined Marvel character for Spider-Man 2 like it received for Homecoming with the box-office monster Iron Man, played by Robert Downey Jr. But sources say it won’t be Iron Man next time around.
‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’: How Sony Learned to Cede Control to Marvel – The Hollywood Reporter

This isn't the source I remember originally seeing though, I'll do so more digging. I think the wiki leak doc with the restrictions on Spider-Man in the MCU also had some of it on there.

So.....if Otto was transported to the MCU just before his redemption and death, what would have happened with the reactor? It was just about to tear NYC apart, so if Otto was snatched away before he sacrificed himself, does that mean "half of New York" just died?
It was implied that Ock had already drowned the reactor before he was transported to the MCU. Sandman said that he drowned in the river, Ock tried to deny it but couldn't.

I assume all of those who were transported back reappeared in their universe seconds after they disappeared. So no, nothing happened to New York.
I don't think it was ever implied that time stops in their timelines just because they get transported to another universe. Strange doesn't even had the time stone anymore to do that.

I don't think it was ever implied that time stops in their timelines just because they get transported to another universe. Strange doesn't even had the time stone anymore to do that.

I take it you haven't seen Avengers Endgame or the Loki Disney Plus show?

These villains were plucked from their respective movies right before their deaths/defeats at the hands of their respective Spider-Man, so they are essentially time variants from different timelines as well as from a completely different universe. That is why you can have Doc Ock and Green Goblin from Toby's universe in the same movie, when in the Toby timeline Otto didn't become Doc Ock until after the Green Goblin died.

So if Strange can create a spell that brought Doc Ock and Green Goblin from the Raimi-Verse into the MCU from two different specific points in time, why couldn't he do the reverse, and send them right back to those specific points in time?

Even if there are timelines that were affected by the removal of these characters, those wouldn't be where Strange would send them back anyway when he reversed his spell, so those would just be more alternate timelines, just like after Avengers Endgame there is a time period where Thanos and his crew just disappeared from the galaxy (because they went to nine years into the future, fought the Avengers army and got snapped out of existence by Tony Stark).

I take it you haven't seen Avengers Endgame or the Loki Disney Plus show?

These villains were plucked from their respective movies right before their deaths/defeats at the hands of their respective Spider-Man, so they are essentially time variants from different timelines as well as from a completely different universe. That is why you can have Doc Ock and Green Goblin from Toby's universe in the same movie, when in the Toby timeline Otto didn't become Doc Ock until after the Green Goblin died.

So if Strange can create a spell that brought Doc Ock and Green Goblin from the Raimi-Verse into the MCU from two different specific points in time, why couldn't he do the reverse, and send them right back to those specific points in time?

Even if there are timelines that were affected by the removal of these characters, those wouldn't be where Strange would send them back anyway when he reversed his spell, so those would just be more alternate timelines, just like after Avengers Endgame there is a time period where Thanos and his crew just disappeared from the galaxy (because they went to nine years into the future, fought the Avengers army and got snapped out of existence by Tony Stark).
Never mind I misread your post.

Anyone know why Sandman couldn't turn back to human form in this movie? In Spider-Man 3, even after he fell into the Super Collider, he still could turn back to human form as shown with him often walking around in his green and black striped T-shirt and only turning parts of himself into sand.

I realise the external reason for it here is that they couldn't get Church for actual footage, but what would be the internal reason? And why would he go back to being semi villainous when he already made peace with Peter at the end of Spider-Man 3? From which point was he plucked from the timeline?

Also where was Venom from Spider-Man 3? Didn't he know Spider-Man's identity? How come they didn't bring back Topher Grace?

Also imagine if Holland backhanded Maguire when Maguire tried to step in to stop him from killing Osborn, similar to what Maguire did to Dunst in Spider-Man 3.

Last edited:
Anyone know why Sandman couldn't turn back to human form in this movie? In Spider-Man 3, even after he fell into the Super Collider, he still could turn back to human form as shown with him often walking around in his green and black striped T-shirt and only turning parts of himself into sand.

I realise the external reason for it here is that they couldn't get Church for actual footage, but what would be the internal reason? And why would he go back to being semi villainous when he already made peace with Peter at the end of Spider-Man 3? From which point was he plucked from the timeline?

Also where was Venom from Spider-Man 3? Didn't he know Spider-Man's identity? How come they didn't bring back Topher Grace?

Also imagine if Holland backhanded Maguire when Maguire tried to step in to stop him from killing Osborn, similar to what Maguire did to Dunst in Spider-Man 3.
There is no official explanation for most of the things your asking, so some of my answers are more speculation than anything else (also knowing you, you probably realize that already).
We don't know when Sandman got plucked out of his timeline, other than some time after his last scene in SM3. It could have been seconds, hours, days, etc..
As far as why Sandman is stuck in sandform either it's because switching universes changed his appearance like Electro or post SM3 his powers over time caused him to permanently stay in sandform. And Sandman wasn't really villainous, so much as he just wanted the box to get back home to see his daughter. So yea he made amends with Peter in SM3, but that doesn't mean he still can't continue to make mistakes.

As far as Topher, they didn't want him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"