• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - Part 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say that art lacks importance, just that it pales in comparison to what those that actually build society do.

Making people aware of autism/Aspberger's syndrome is good, but nothing compared to actually researching and understanding those conditions and creating ways to handle or treat the people that suffer from it.

The manner in which we speak does not compare to building the infrastructures on which our societies depend, to take an arbitrary example.

Being influenced by a film does't make film as important as the field that she chose to go into. Jurrassic Park is also the kind of blockbuster film that's looked down upon by those that really try to elevate their own importance, so your example in part shows an aspect of my point. Influencing people can be done in many other ways, and film is unlikely to be even the most efficient way (especially if you include shady methods).

The problem I'm pointing to is the pretentiousness of some people in the film industry. People like Jodie Foster complaining about big budget action films, or James Mangold talking about how post credit scens supposedly would destroy the art. So what have those people's art done to help the starving children of the world, to help combat disease, to advance our technological level so we can advance our societies, etc? Not at all? Right. Like the Rock said, "know your role and shut your mouth!"

I think I'll be waiting a long time before I see some narcissistic people from Doctors Without Borders talk down to movie directors how their work just wastes time, like the people I mentioned talked down to other directors.

So you're in essence saying that any artist who dislikes the art you like is pretentious and should go "help starving kids." Okay.

For the record Jodie Foster is a supporter of the St. Francis Food and Pantry organization that aims to feed and clothe poor children and families in this country. I believe she is also a supporter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

So you're in essence saying that any artist who dislikes the art you like is pretentious and should go "help starving kids." Okay.

For the record Jodie Foster is a supporter of the St. Francis Food and Pantry organization that aims to feed and clothe poor children and families in this country. I believe she is also a supporter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

No, you need to look at the distinction of criticizing someone as a person in general or to criticize a certain behavior in a certain context. Context is everything. The notion that it's just about criticizing things I like was an absurdly bad interpretation.

If you are going to sit and poor bile over some kind of movies and say how they, and people that like it, harm the art, while you think that your movies are so important, then you need to have accomplished something great with your movies or you are nothing but pretentious. The reason to bring up people in the medical field, in the sciences, etc, is that you don't often hear such people be as openly pretentious about their work even though the most successful ones in those fields accomplish a lot more.

I'm not looking down on people that make movies, I'm pointing out what I think of getting really pretentious about their work in the field.

Never seen this worldwide amount for an opening weekend of an MCU movie before, or even a Star Wars one.

Never seen this worldwide amount for an opening weekend of an MCU movie before, or even a Star Wars one.

The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, The Avengers, Age of Ultron, Civil War and Iron Man 3 had higher opening weekends. So I suppose it's the second highest for a Marvel solo film.

G'dammit Marvel. I knew Black Panther would do well but these numbers are silly. Wish I loved the film but I'm still glad. Avengers 3 could well make ALL the money now. Christ.

Lame, corny jokes. CG overload, forced unearned emotional moments. Unsatisfying finale. Vanilla action scenes.

I'm not gonna claim it's a complete carbon copy because it does introduce some new elements that previous MCU films didn't have, but it still left me with that same feeling where I don't care about any of the characters.

Racist!

Forced unearned emotional moments? come on bruh.

I get the complaints about the third act in terms of action and special effects. Other than that, I think it's the strongest third act in any Marvel movie outside of maybe the first Avengers and Civil War.

Guardians 2 was a major step down from the first one. But James Gunn is so perversely sincere in his snark that I still enjoyed it. But it is a messy movie. I really liked Homecoming and Civil War though. For me the Phase Three movies that left me cold were Thor: Ragnarok (I still don't really get the hype, even as someone who loves Taika Waititi, it just felt like a generic Marvel movie with some nice off-color humor). And Doctor Strange, which is a movie almost as bland as Ant-Man, but somehow was treated like the second coming when it was released.

I mean you are right she fit her movie. She was a serviceable villain played by a great actress having a wonderful time camping and vamping it up. But as a character, there isn't a whole lot there (kind of like the movie IMO). So she left a much slighter impression than Killmonger. I think Blanchett is so good that people are overhyping her actual character and role in the film.
I personally really enjoyed DS and GOTG2, and frankly, I think GOTG2 is very similar to 1, so I don't get how some people love 1 but rip on 2.

That aside, I'm similar to you with Hela. I enjoyed her, but she's not one of my favs. But I understand why people do. Sometimes you just want a crazy OTT villain, and she did that perfectly. Let's be real, Darth Vader had no character development other than silent badass for two Star Wars films (until literally the last minutes of Empire), yet he is regarded as one of the best villains of all time. Why? because he's badass. The Terminator has no character development in T1, but he's also regarded as one of the best villains of all time. Why? Badass. The Predator...well, you get the picture.

Sometimes, people just want badass, crazy villains. I prefer villains with more depth too (which is why I really enjoyed Keaton in HC and I'm looking forward to Killmonger once I see BP), but I get why people like the one dimensional over the top villains. They're fun.

Homecoming is one of those rare MCU movies that get better on repeat viewings for me (much like Captain America: The First Avenger). Tom Holland really is the heart of the movie, especially the "Come on, Spider-Man!" scene where he's trapped in the rubble and how it ties in to Tony's line "If you're nothing without the suit then you shouldn't have it." It nails the essence of the character in one scene, which Marc Webb couldn't do in two films.

That scene you mention would have been SO much better if it was Uncle Bens voice instead of Starks though. THEN it would have nailed the character.

Glad to see I am not the only one who finds Homecomings over rated though.

However, I will say I think GOTG2 is under rated by some

GOTG2 got better for me on rewatches, most of the humor is still not good but the characters, emotional moments, music and visuals hold up really well. I like it as much as the first one and I honestly think it's better than Homecoming and Ragnarok. Ragnarok has fantastic action scenes but everything else feels like a joke(in the sense that nothing is taken seriously). Homecoming is painfully average.

Last edited:
Well, Ryan Coolger just set himself up for life.

I personally really enjoyed DS and GOTG2, and frankly, I think GOTG2 is very similar to 1, so I don't get how some people love 1 but rip on 2.

I don't think anyone was ripping on Guardians Vol.2, but as Blackman said, they didn't spend a lot of time as a team. That's what I wanted to see more of.

Homecoming is the only Marvel movie I skipped seeing in theaters last year. It ended up one of the best in the MCU. The MCU has been leaning heavily into comedy that doesn't work for me (Doctor Strange and GOTG2), but I really liked Homecoming's humor. Black Panther has humor, but Ryan Coogler knows not to let it undercut the drama which makes the jokes land, the stakes more real, and one of Marvel's best.

Next you'll tell me you don't like Wonder Woman or Ghostbusters 16 you sexist!
Is it considered wrong that I'd much rather watch Suicide Squad three times in a row than watch that movie one more time?

Forecasts have gone up to over $200m for the 3 day and $241m to $243m for the 4 day!

Yeah ok..... RDJ/Stark can peacefully retire from the MCU now, he has done his part. Disney must be quietly glad they won't be breaking the bank for RDJ for much longer.

The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, The Avengers, Age of Ultron, Civil War and Iron Man 3 had higher opening weekends. So I suppose it's the second highest for a Marvel solo film.

3rd. Captain America: Civil War was also a solo, even if it included multiple characters, name on the door is still Captain America.

It was Iron Man v Captain America: Totally Solo.

Or was it Captain America v Iron Man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"