Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that would explain Whedon leaving his HBO show.
I am sure there will be as much discussion about this as there was about Ray Fisher being jealous and looking for attention. I am sure Alan Tudyk will try to explain to another person of color how nice his rich white male friend was to him, a rich white male.

I like Newton, but there was really no reason to recast here, especially as they had Cassie post-snap already. I will say it does annoy me what they will and won't recast for. Especially considering the people they are employing.

Maybe Peyton Reed and Feige just felt like the actress from Endgame didn't have the chops they needed out of the character for the new movie. Who knows. But this is in the end fairly minor. If the new actress does a great job, then who cares? It aint like they replaced one of the heavy hitters here

Maybe Peyton Reed and Feige just felt like the actress from Endgame didn't have the chops they needed out of the character for the new movie. Who knows. But this is in the end fairly minor. If the new actress does a great job, then who cares? It aint like they replaced one of the heavy hitters here
Then cast her for Endgame. But beyond that, we are talking about a studio that employs two bigots and abuser at least. This is before we get int othe parent company. So when they show they are willing to recast, it bothers me what they will and won't do it for. It's gross, and I wish the studio and it's parent company had some morals. I am not Warner's biggest fan right now, but at least they fired Depp.

Then cast her for Endgame. But beyond that, we are talking about a studio that employs two bigots and abuser at least. This is before we get int othe parent company. So when they show they are willing to recast, it bothers me what they will and won't do it for. It's gross, and I wish the studio and it's parent company had some morals. I am not Warner's biggest fan right now, but at least they fired Depp.

Let's not put a halo on WB here. They kept Ezra and that had video and witnesses. But regardless, I don't know what happened with the other actor, but she was in the movie maybe....20 seconds total? I don't see the big deal. Not like things like this don't happen. They recast Kitty Pride 3 times and I presume Page was hired due to having more acting range when it became a bigger part. These things happen.

Let's not put a halo on WB here. They kept Ezra and that had video and witnesses. But regardless, I don't know what happened with the other actor, but she was in the movie maybe....20 seconds total? I don't see the big deal. Not like things like this don't happen. They recast Kitty Pride 3 times and I presume Page was hired due to having more acting range when it became a bigger part. These things happen.
Oh, WB sucks too. I know. Just at least they acknowledge it sometimes.

As I said, I like Newton. I'll more then likely enjoy her when I watch Peyton Reed fail to compete with Edgar Wright for a third time on Disney+. But in a series where they emphasize continuity, it's a bit annoying to me but far from a deal breaker. Bringing back Peyton Reed is much more of an issue in that regard for me.

Oh, WB sucks too. I know. Just at least they acknowledge it sometimes.

As I said, I like Newton. I'll more then likely enjoy her when I watch Peyton Reed fail to compete with Edgar Wright for a third time on Disney+. But in a series where they emphasize continuity, it's a bit annoying to me but far from a deal breaker. Bringing back Peyton Reed is much more of an issue in that regard for me.

Peyton Reed isn't exactly my favorite MCU director, either. He is the very definition of competent. He is like, the dude who you put into the game when your star QB gets hurt and you need a dude to just hand off the ball and not throw the ball to the other team. But at the same time, he ain't netting you the splash plays and chunk yards. Those movies are almost entirely driven by dialogue and character scenes. Ones you can tell are largely done with improv

It's probably unfair to Emma, but I really don't mind because I really liked Newton in Detective Pikachu.

Wb refusing to give a straight answer about what the disciplinary action was makes me think they did indeed force out Whedon but came up with the "I'm leaving to focus on my personal life" cover to allow him to save face.

It's probably unfair to Emma, but I really don't mind because I really liked Newton in Detective Pikachu.
I just saw Freaky the other day and she crushed it in that movie. So I can’t say I’m not thrilled with the casting.

Reactions: MbJ
Even though I was slightly disappointed with Ant-Man and the Wasp, I think Reed fits those movies well and they are good for what they are. I think the first one is really underrated though.

So you wanted the second snapshot effects to require even more explanation in future movies?

I honestly am surprised anyone is complaining about this recast. The character got older. This is pretty basic stuff movies have been since.....forever in franchises with long periods between when films take place.
Yes. Particularly in connection to keeping that actress.

That's the version of the character I spent 2 movies connecting with. They can find a way to have the other actress continue in the role. I don't see why they can't go for it.
Not like things like this don't happen. They recast Kitty Pride 3 times and I presume Page was hired due to having more acting range when it became a bigger part. These things happen.
I don't prefer the AE recast version. I prefer the version in the first 2 movies.

Last edited:
Yes. Particularly in connection to keeping that actress.

That's the version of the character I spent 2 movies connecting with. They can find a way to have the other actress continue in the role. I don't see why they can't go for it.I don't prefer the AE recast version. I prefer the version in the first 2 movies.
This is an example of fans just making something more complicated than it has to be. No actor is worth writing in major mental gymnastics you have to explain. Especially when easy solutions are right there.

I can't remember what Cassie looked like and what any of her lines were in the other movies. So this re-cast is not a big deal to me. In fact I like it because I enjoy Newton in Pikachu and she's really great in The Society.

This is an example of fans just making something more complicated than it has to be. No actor is worth writing in major mental gymnastics you have to explain. Especially when easy solutions are right there.
Why is a real life person not worth writing something differently that I think doesn't really have to effect the story or the characters?

I can't remember what Cassie looked like and what any of her lines were in the other movies. So this re-cast is not a big deal to me. In fact I like it because I enjoy Newton in Pikachu and she's really great in The Society.
I enjoyed her in Pikachu as well. But it's still not the same actress.

Why is a real life person not worth writing something differently that I think doesn't really have to effect the story or the characters?

No what your trying to do DOES effect the story. You want them to essentially deage some people, but I guess not everyone cause Morgan Stark would then not exist. All to accommodate 1 actor. For a character who was in this movie maybe 20 seconds. Not worth it. Because movies recast characters who get older all the time.

Ugh, can't stand her or her awful accent. Oh well. She'll likely be a minor blight on an otherwise delightful movie for me.
tumblr_mem6uklfJc1rbk9wko1_500.gif

:o

It really bothers me that they recast Cassie Lang with someone I know from something else and liked in that role. How dare they recast a character who we only see in one hug shot? I'm going to file a long boring complaint to the MCU fans guild explaining why and how much I disapprove this decision.

That joke aside, I feel the desire to express how awkward it is to watch Bullseye 'Dex' in the last episode in the parking lot while dressed as Daredevil and having the frozen corpse of the girl he had a crush on to show how determined he is to exact vengeance on Wilson Fisk. Did he do anything like this in the comics? That is one of the most unsettling psychotic things I've seen done by Bullseye.

Between Dex and Diamondback that makes two Netflix Marvel villains going through operations in the end of a season that is probably out of the question to pay off for reasons well known, but Dex going through his operation makes a lot more sense than giving super powers to a psychotic nutjob just because the doctor that performed the operation on Luke Cage wants more people like him without caring about a characters background.

Tbh, and not that Im defending the past F4 movies by any means, I wouldnt call Doom “easy” to pull off. Thats a character that you really need to get the right actor with the right kind of cadences, demeanor, voice and screen prescence to really pull off and i think all of the prior movies have struggled with finding that person.

For what its worth I see why Tim Story had cast Julian Mcmahon, he was essentially playing Doctor Doom in Nip/Tuck but he just wasnt it. He didnt have that “it factor” that makes Doom DOOM.

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about this because Doom has long been one of my favorites, but I look at that cape, the armor, the castle, the Doombots, it all seems ready-made for live-action right out of the box. Definitely got to get the right actor but it seems most of Hollywood has capitulated to being in a superhero movie at this point :funny:

Obviously easier said than done but in a post-Rocket and Groot world I think Doom could be fairly straight-forward with no real need to change or overthink much. Silver Surfer might be a bit trickier but that's another character I'm dying to see brought into the MCU.

Even though I was slightly disappointed with Ant-Man and the Wasp, I think Reed fits those movies well and they are good for what they are. I think the first one is really underrated though.

Because he had a much more talented director's storyboards to work off of. Frankly, the attempt at imitating Wright's style made it my most disliked MCU movie until Infinity War. And Reed is clearly not skilled enough to make a 90 minute movie into a 2 hour movie.

The whole "Reed had Wright's storyboards" argument is silly.

You can come up with the greatest play, business plan, whatever hand it off to someone and still have it fail. That's how you get movies with great scripts that end up being trash or good products that fail. Reed for sure deserves a lot of credit making a good and successful movie at the least out of a very hectic situation.

And was it even confirmed that Reed used Wright's storyboards? I know Wright asked him not to but I never read if they actually did. I know they did a lot of rewrites to the script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"