Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be real, WB didn't have any interest in this one, either. AT&T forced their hand into greenlighting the Snyder Cut and they can do the same again if they really, really want a sequel. But that would require an absolute killer performance on HBO Max compared to their other releases that would justify another $300 mil expense, which seems...unlikely.
I just don't know how you could theoretically quantify it being such a "success". Which also has me worried t hey might try to just say it was for some reason. That said with 3 of the major stars booked solid and there being a new Batman who is probably going to crush it at the box office, part of me feels safe we won't have to continue with this... stuff.

I just don't know how you could theoretically quantify it being such a "success". Which also has me worried t hey might try to just say it was for some reason. That said with 3 of the major stars booked solid and there being a new Batman who is probably going to crush it at the box office, part of me feels safe we won't have to continue with this... stuff.
The other reason I doubt this is likely is because when AT&T pulled that power move on WB, HBO Max was just launching (badly) and they were desperate for something to get it some buzz and build a base. Especially with all their delayed launch stuff like the Friends reunion. Like, WB had nearly a whole damn movie already made and sitting on a shelf featuring major actors as huge name brand characters with an online fanbase crying for it, so of course they pulled rank to make them get it out there and help sell their struggling service. But that was before they got WB's whole 2021 slate of A-list movies to build buzz and a subscriber base, and by the time a JL sequel would happen, they'll have whole slate worth of original content regularly flowing in, including DC content, so the JL sequel won't look like nearly as big a "get" as the Snyder Cut did to them in May 2020. It would cost them way more, and they'll need it way less.

I live in a society where I am looking forward to watching a big monkey and a big lizard fist fight more than a Justice League movie.

I will never forgive those responsible.
You say this like you are going into your backyard to see something strange as opposed to a Godzilla and King Kong flick. :hehe:

That long pause between "We live.. in a society" and "where honor.. is a distant memory" may have served the trailer better than anyone had hoped for, it's meme generating material and joke fodder instead of being cringe inducing material people would rather overlook or forget.

That comment @Detective Conan made about his impression of this Joker is amusing, but you had to end it with "He got a wedgie" and make it a barrel of laughs. Bravo I say.

I mean.....Godzilla vs Kong is like....one of my top like 2 most anticipated films of the year. Assuming nothing else moves out of year. But I am 1000% bias cause I have loved all things Godzilla since I was like....3 :o

I mean.....Godzilla vs Kong is like....one of my top like 2 most anticipated films of the year. Assuming nothing else moves out of year. But I am 1000% bias cause I have loved all things Godzilla since I was like....3 :o
Including one of my favorite bad movies starring Matthew Broderick, Jean Reno, and the 94 voice of Venom that has a very similar plot to 2018's Rampage?

Including one of my favorite bad movies starring Matthew Broderick, Jean Reno, and the 94 voice of Venom that has a very similar plot to 2018's Rampage?

I liked when that version got blown up in Godzilla Final Wars. Does that count?

Complete random tidbit:

I bought a Nintendo Switch the other day, I’m finally getting around to playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, why didn’t y’all tell me this game was so fun and addictive?

I love the cutscenes. Clearly it’s influenced by the MCU and it’s interesting how seamless it fits the MCU narrative with the Netflix Defenders and the X-Men.

The other reason I doubt this is likely is because when AT&T pulled that power move on WB, HBO Max was just launching (badly) and they were desperate for something to get it some buzz and build a base. Especially with all their delayed launch stuff like the Friends reunion. Like, WB had nearly a whole damn movie already made and sitting on a shelf featuring major actors as huge name brand characters with an online fanbase crying for it, so of course they pulled rank to make them get it out there and help sell their struggling service. But that was before they got WB's whole 2021 slate of A-list movies to build buzz and a subscriber base, and by the time a JL sequel would happen, they'll have whole slate worth of original content regularly flowing in, including DC content, so the JL sequel won't look like nearly as big a "get" as the Snyder Cut did to them in May 2020. It would cost them way more, and they'll need it way less.
Having a JL sequel announced also doesn't help HBO Max today. Let alone 2 sequels needed to finish Snyder's vision.

Anyone else anticipating a very angry shift from ‘Critics don’t matter, no one cares!’ To caring very much and responding very aggressively to bad reviews?

I wonder if Snyder's visual portrayal of how the Flash time travels will have any influence on how it is in Flashpoint.

Doesn't matter, it's been said that these movies don't connect to the future of the DCEU?

It’s still interesting to me how HBO max struggled to get off the ground. It’s been our go-to streaming service since it’s premiered. So much good stuff, I rarely use Netflix anymore.

Disney Plus has been a dud before Wandavision but I half expected that.

I really utilized HBO Max the most over the past few weeks watching 3 of the DCAU, but in terms of original specific HBO Max releases, nothing has really got me interested prior to WW84. And I'll watch Godzilla vs Kong, Snyder Cut, Suicide Squad, Dune and the Matrix.

But I'm not really the whole demo who uses a streaming service like a library, more original content person (Mandalorian, Stranger Things etc.)

Now it is on Roku, I watch HBO Max more than Netflix. I think if we exclude the Day/Date for 30 day films, Netflix has much better original content. Now, the day/date stuff shifts that to HBO Max for me. HBO Max has a better library, also. Much better. That said, if it wasn't for my desire to keep access to the Marvel Netflix shows, I prob would have dropped Netflix by now.

I've said this in the HBO Max series, I'd binge Tales from the Crypt if that was on HBO Max. But BBT or Friends? No.

Complete random tidbit:

I bought a Nintendo Switch the other day, I’m finally getting around to playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, why didn’t y’all tell me this game was so fun and addictive?

I love the cutscenes. Clearly it’s influenced by the MCU and it’s interesting how seamless it fits the MCU narrative with the Netflix Defenders and the X-Men.

To me, it is a mixed bag. The good outweighs so much of the bad, sure. The roster is AMAZING, only Smash Ultimate as a better videogame roster. I love the combat. It is so much better than the previous games. Even without specials, the characters feel unique.

But the near elimination of RPG elements hurts it soo badly, in my eyes. X-men Legends 2 remains the peak for me, I loved the various paths and builds you could make with each character.

Ultimate Alliance 3 is a great game, though. Must buy for any Marvel fan.

I’m not sure I’ve ever been more confused why something was popular than Friends.

Yeah, I watched it back in the day and enjoyed it but it hasn’t aged well. I’m kinda baffled why there still seems to be all this nostalgia over it.

To me, it is a mixed bag. The good outweighs so much of the bad, sure. The roster is AMAZING, only Smash Ultimate as a better videogame roster. I love the combat. It is so much better than the previous games. Even without specials, the characters feel unique.

But the near elimination of RPG elements hurts it soo badly, in my eyes. X-men Legends 2 remains the peak for me, I loved the various paths and builds you could make with each character.

Ultimate Alliance 3 is a great game, though. Must buy for any Marvel fan.

Which I am playing now as we speak. It’s so random, I’m liking it so far but you have to virtually unlock everyone on this Spirit thing instead of the old fashioned way. Ugh.

But yes agreed X-Men Legends 2 was peak. Ultimate Alliance 3 is so addictive. Just plain fun but like you said the lack of RPG elements is noticeable. I had to give it a break, I’m in the Dark Dimension and I can’t quite beat Dormammu just yet.

Captain Marvel, Venom, Miles Morales and Deadpool are a random bunch, but they make an awesome team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"