Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be happy with her in the role, but this is one of those cases where fans have been annoyingly singleminded. It's like I promise y'all, there are other blonde actresses in Hollywood.

I'd be happy with her in the role, but this is one of those cases where fans have been annoyingly singleminded. It's like I promise y'all, there are other blonde actresses in Hollywood.

I think people also latched onto the idea of Reed and Sue being played by a real life couple.

I kind of like an unequivocal shutdown like this so we don’t waste time on fancasting her anymore. Not every good actor is going to want to be in a CBM. That’s cool.

I kind of like an unequivocal shutdown like this so we don’t waste time on fancasting her anymore. Not every good actor is going to want to be in a CBM. That’s cool.
To be fair, she was originally suppose to be Black Widow but scheduling conflicts doomed it. So I do think she'd do it, even now a decade later. Still this **** is nuts. Leave her alone.

I too would be happy if she was cast on the role, but I am not married to one single choice. There are many talented people out there right for the role.

If I'm to be honest, most of the Phase 4 slate feels like filler while Marvel Studios preps the X-Men/F4. People say the MCU can never top Endgame.. And would've agreed.. If they didn't have those two IPS back in their stable

To be fair, she was originally suppose to be Black Widow but scheduling conflicts doomed it. So I do think she'd do it, even now a decade later. Still this **** is nuts. Leave her alone.
Oh of course, yes. I forgot about that. It sounds like she was up for playing Widow in Iron Man (and likely would have been great) but I doubt she would have been up for carrying on across the MCU to the extent Scarlett did.

If I'm to be honest, most of the Phase 4 slate feels like filler while Marvel Studios preps the X-Men/F4. People say the MCU can never top Endgame.. And would've agreed.. If they didn't have those two IPS back in their stable

Even with them, I still think they can't

I remember saying in 2012 that I was worried they'd never be able to top the first Avengers, which feels funny in hindsight.

Also now realizing that was nearly 10 years ago and am about to pour myself a stiff drink.

I still vividly remember watching Captain America opening weekend in July 2011 and seeing that end tag teaser for The Avengers (because, you know, in those days, teasers still debuted in movies before they were put online) and I was GIDDY. Just seeing those quick glimpses of Thor, Cap and Ironman all in the same room together, I couldnt believe this movie was real. lol

Really? What makes you say that? I'd say they have more than enough material to build up to the next "Infinity War". Although it's gonna take awhile

They ain't assembling a cast like that again and also we are entering the streaming age. Endgame came at the right time before this transition. I don't think we are ever seeing a theater experience like Endgame again. Especially of we are talking like 10 years down the road. Streaming is only going to get more prominent and less people will go to the theater. So even if they get the cast, the dynamic is different.

I don't think theaters will die. But I don't see them being 2 bil in business anytime soon. Especially the more things change. Theaters were a huge part of Endgame's experience. Also, after like 50 projects, I do think fatigue will be a factor. Not enough to "kill" the MCU, but enough to keep it from Endgame hype.

Hmmm I dont know. Marvel/Feige has all of their toys in one toybox now (except Spider-man, kinda). Endgame can be topped. The next mega event with Spider-man, The F4, The X-Men etc all battling Galactus or Doctor Doom could be an absolute gargantuan blockbuster if they are able to put all the pieces together over the next 10 years like they did between Iron Man and Endgame.

Hmmm I dont know. Marvel/Feige has all of their toys in one toybox now (except Spider-man, kinda). Endgame can be topped. The next mega event with Spider-man, The F4, The X-Men etc all battling Galactus or Doctor Doom could be an absolute gargantuan blockbuster if they are able to put all the pieces together over the next 10 years like they did between Iron Man and Endgame.

It aint a matter of just upping threat level. It is about audience anticipation. Not scale. I don't think the audience fever will ever be matched. Especially when people already want to proclaim Marvel fatigue is setting in 2 shows in.

I remember saying in 2012 that I was worried they'd never be able to top the first Avengers, which feels funny in hindsight.

Also now realizing that was nearly 10 years ago and am about to pour myself a stiff drink.

I’ll never forget that. It was our senior year of college, graduation was two more weeks and a group of my college friends and I went to go see Avengers at the local theater for our last hurrah. Such a good time.

But hell yeah, time is flying lol.

To be fair I've been seeing people warn Marvel fatigue was coming as far back as 2012 and before that it was general superhero fatigue.

They ain't assembling a cast like that again and also we are entering the streaming age. Endgame came at the right time before this transition. I don't think we are ever seeing a theater experience like Endgame again. Especially of we are talking like 10 years down the road. Streaming is only going to get more prominent and less people will go to the theater. So even if they get the cast, the dynamic is different.

I don't think theaters will die. But I don't see them being 2 bil in business anytime soon. Especially the more things change. Theaters were a huge part of Endgame's experience. Also, after like 50 projects, I do think fatigue will be a factor. Not enough to "kill" the MCU, but enough to keep it from Endgame hype.
Well, even if that's the case and the format has changed, that doesn't mean they can never match the hype of Endgame, it just won't look the same way in a decade-- which is to be expected.

Endgame was a perfect storm, and it truly did feel like a cinematic event. But I think it can be topped. How they do it is the question, but it's possible

There are a lot of problematic things in anime that you just cringe at. I never knew why it was okay for 14 year old Sailor Moon to have a college aged boyfriend that she always has to end up rescuing.

Her parents failed her lol.

Those types of romances are extremely common in shoujo (and to an extent in josei). Apparently the teenage girl demographic can't get enough of it.

Well, even if that's the case and the format has changed, that doesn't mean they can never match the hype of Endgame, it just won't look the same way in a decade-- which is to be expected.

Endgame was a perfect storm, and it truly did feel like a cinematic event. But I think it can be topped. How they do it is the question, but it's possible

I dont see them recreating the same Humpty Dumpty. Even Star Wars was eventually overtaken by the MCU. Something will rise and become the "it" thing eventually, and I just don't see the MCU 60 projects in sustaining the same hype Endgame got. I will believe it when I see it

I don't see Endgame being matched again either for the reasons already mentioned. At least in the west, the way these things are viewed is changing. That was true before and the pandemic greatly accelerated it. We have already seen how things like television and other entertainment options have only become more fragmented in recent years. It is extremely difficult to get casual fans for anything when there is such easy access to whatever niche caters exactly to your particular tastes.

And Marvel fatigue is going to become real as well. Nothing like what happened over the course of the Avengers films had happened before, at least to that scale (there is stuff like the Godzilla films and Universal monster films of the 30s/40s). That cast captured the imagination of a generation. Say they build to a big team up in ten years with the Fantastic Four/X-Men etc. taking on Galactus or something. It still won't have the same impact because it wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

To me at least, End Game feels like it was the end of an era.

The day the MCU gives me Dr Doom and Galactus, I will be more excited for that than anything else they've ever done.

The best of the MCU is yet to come IMO.
And the X-Men will be cinematically resurgent. Just wait and watch.
View attachment 45889
I'm never forgiving Fox for removing all the color and great costumes out of their movies.

At least they got Deadpool right, I guess.

I think people are kidding themselves if they think the general public will EVER be as hyped for the X-Men or the F4 as they got for The Avengers. Even if the movies are great. They've seen multiple movies with those characters before. Just look at Spidey. He's still big, his movies make the expected billion, but he's not the event he once was. He's just the next MCU thing. Now don't get me wrong, I still think X-Men and F4 will be big hits, just as Spidey's movies still are, but they don't have the novelty factor that the Avengers - characters who'd never had major blockbusters before - had, and there's no getting that back. Especially when you consider audiences were never as enthusiastic about the F4 and X-Men's previous incarnations as they were about Spidey's to begin with. There's just not as much love for those characters outside of the fandom. Spidey's success represents the ceiling for those characters, imo.

I just want to add that Chadwick Boseman's death was devastating to Marvel. Black Panther was the character that really probably could have carried the brand for the next decade. He had become a cultural phenomenon, and with the old guard of Cap, Iron Man, etc. leaving and Spider-Man's film rights being an eternal question mark long term, Black Panther was one of two proven successful true blockbuster characters they had left (the other being Captain Marvel). Maybe I'll be wrong but I don't think Sam Wilson is going to be the same draw.

Now I'm not saying Marvel is going to all of a sudden be losing money or anything, but we've probably seen the peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"