Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Superman and Lois or Falcon and The Winter Soldier?

Superman & Lois by a country mile, imo. The only thing TF&TWS has over it is a bigger budget.

Speaking of superhero tv, I also caught up on the last two episodes of Superman & Lois and I think Elizabeth Tulloch deserves an Emmy.
She's been the biggest surprise for me as I did not care for her in Elseworlds, but she's killin' it on this show.

Loki was about as good as I've heard. Like Spider-fan said a great exploration of Loki, pleasantly surprised that Owen Wilson matches Hiddleston's charisma with ease. Really creative from just about every angle and as someone with a soft spot for a 60's/70's aesthetic, the production design is aces.

Also....

Never been a huge fan of Marvel's space cities. Asgard looks cool from a design standpoint but it does look like a big video game, as does everything in Guardians and Captain Marvel. Whatever they did for the TVA base looked spectacular. Could be wrong but it looked like practical effects and mirrors.

She's been the biggest surprise for me as I did not care for her in Elseworlds, but she's killin' it on this show.

In that episode last week she was riveting.

The way she had that scared parent tone and told Johnathan’s ass off for going into Steel’s van and then the apology scene was so good. And obviously everything about her miscarriage too.

I’m a sucker for all that soap opera mess like that lol.

In that episode last week she was riveting.

The way she had that scared parent tone and told Johnathan’s ass off for going into Steel’s van and then the apology scene was so good. And obviously everything about her miscarriage too.

I’m a sucker for all that soap opera mess like that lol.
Yeah you could tell she was being so harsh towards him because she was absolutely terrified. It just felt VERY real to me.

Loki was about as good as I've heard. Like Spider-fan said a great exploration of Loki, pleasantly surprised that Owen Wilson matches Hiddleston's charisma with ease. Really creative from just about every angle and as someone with a soft spot for a 60's/70's aesthetic, the production design is aces.

Also....

Never been a huge fan of Marvel's space cities. Asgard looks cool from a design standpoint but it does look like a big video game, as does everything in Guardians and Captain Marvel. Whatever they did for the TVA base looked spectacular. Could be wrong but it looked like practical effects and mirrors.
They got some solid emotional beats in with Loki while also having the usual fun you get with him, enhanced by a great dynamic with Wilson’s character. Totally agreed on the spoiler too. I hope that is the new benchmark for this type of thing.

E3C-j_aWUAM0PUj

F&WS for me. S&L is a show I am quite enjoying. But, it is still a network CW show, and network TV in general I find has a quality ceiling that it rarely breaks. Some exceptions but this I mostly find holds true. While F&WS is clear 3rd banana of the MCU shows so far and I would also put a few Netflix shows over it also....even that is still better to me than network TV. For me, S&L is better than say Agents of SHIELD, but they are same ballpark of quality. Not that far removed.

That is just me

I'd go Superman and Lois. So far it's been surprisingly solid. Being on the CW, I imagine a drop off is coming eventually but the titular characters are so charming to watch that I'm kinda just here for that.

Falcon and Winter Soldier... sure does exist. It just feels like a show that's there to explain why Sam's Captain America in Captain America 4, there's just nothing really for me to latch onto and the titular characters I enjoy elsewhere in the MCU feel a bit... stale here. Toss in fumbling a lot of the writing for potentially interesting elements and well it's just... eh.

I won't say TFATWS is trash. I will just say it is trash adjacent. Three seconds of thinking about it, makes it instantly worst. A vacuous trudge through hours of wasted television, for so very few bright spots.

Superman and Lois is tremendous. I am sure it will end up being more CW quality in the future, but outside of obvious budget issues, it actually contains real human emotions, characters I care about, and a mystery I was to see solved. Clark and Lois are absolutely perfect. I just wish they'd get rid of the muscle suit.

Haven't followed Batwoman at all but this outfit lookin kinda fresh, big helmet syndrome aside (same problem as with Red Hood in Titans).

As a big Batwoman fan, the ****show that show is is legitimately painful to my soul. It has less respect for it's source material and characters then a Zack Snyder flick. That's impressive.

One day you all will look at Falcon and The Winter Soldier with fresh eyes and be like “Damn, this was pretty okay!”

Between Sebastian Stan’s talented portrayal of a man suffering with PTSD and other mental health problems, coupled with surprisingly well written talks about race and paralleling it with what’s going on today and superheroes, I think the show did fairly well. I love what they did with Isaiah Bradley, a big MCU highlight to me.

Can’t compare it with Superman & Lois though IMO, that’s apples and oranges. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I really hope Marvel isn't gonna rush into Secret Wars. If everything going forward is going to revolve around the Multiverse, then that's a pretty steadfast way for me to check out of these films.

Grounded and/or self-contained stories will be virtually impossible in the MCU at that point... Or should i say, "MCM"

One day you all will look at Falcon and The Winter Soldier with fresh eyes and be like “Damn, this was pretty okay!”

Between Sebastian Stan’s talented portrayal of a man suffering with PTSD and other mental health problems, coupled with surprisingly well written talks about race and paralleling it with what’s going on today and superheroes, I think the show did fairly well. I love what they did with Isaiah Bradley, a big MCU highlight to me.

Can’t compare it with Superman & Lois though IMO, that’s apples and oranges. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
If that is the best I can say about it, isn't that a pretty damning indictment? I really don't want to talk about the show's take on "race", but let's just say, it is one of my biggest issues. If you answer to a broken system is to fit into the system, clearly you don't know how to combatant the system. They turned Falcon into a "good soldier" and had their version of BLM as terrorists. Terrible. Black Panther was far more effective when it came to discussions of race. Mainly as it did not concern itself with appealing to the part of the country that voted for the Orange man.

If Loki ends up being as good as the premiere suggested, I think Thor will overtake Cap as the "quality" part of the MCU. I'd take Thor, Ragnarok and Loki over the Cap trilogy and the show which only highlight is Zemo.

Last edited:
As a big Batwoman fan, the ****show that show is is legitimately painful to my soul. It has less respect for it's source material and characters then a Zack Snyder flick. That's impressive.

As much as a mess the beginning of the season was, and how the majority of the season is mediocre, I will always respect them with how hard they went in on ACAB.

As for Superman & Lois, my biggest compliment to it is that I do not give a **** about the superheroics. Which can probably be a problem for some, but the show makes me love the family dynamics more than the action.

As much as a mess the beginning of the season was, and how the majority of the season is mediocre, I will always respect them with how hard they went in on ACAB.

As for Superman & Lois, my biggest compliment to it is that I do not give a **** about the superheroics. Which can probably be a problem for some, but the show makes me love the family dynamics more than the action.
I have not seen that, but that is definitely a plus in it's favor then. I just will never get over the Kate stuff. First they cast awful Ruby Rose while writing her very little like Kate, then they "killed her off". Batwoman is Kate. This is like trying to take Bruce out of Batman and it truly bothers me.

I am totally with you. Seeing Clark and Lois parent is my favorite thing. I didn't know I could enjoy it this much.

If that is the best I can say about it, isn't that a pretty damning indictment? I really don't want to talk about the show's take on "race", but let's just say, it is one of my biggest issues. If you answer to a broken system is to fit into the system, clearly you don't know how to combatant racism. They turned Falcon into a "good soldier" and had their version of BLM as terrorists. Terrible. Black Panther was far more effective when it came to discussions of race. Mainly as it did not concern itself with appealing to the part of the country that voted for the Orange man.

If Loki ends up being as good as the premiere suggested, I think Thor will overtake Cap as the "quality" part of the MCU. I'd take Thor, Ragnarok and Loki over the Cap trilogy and the show which only highlight is Zemo.

As far as Sam goes and his whole storyline, I'm 50/50. I didn't quite agree with his choices but what I can appreciate is having the Isaiah Bradley character featured to show both sides of the argument. I like that they actually went as far as Bradley telling Sam that he must've been crazy to think he can be the white world's Cap and be accepted. But as far as Sam's choice to be the new Cap after this whole adventure, I don't think it would've been my choice if I was him.

But even with all that, nah I don't think it's a damning indictment to say the show was pretty okay. It had its missteps and had to change a few things around, but considering Stan, his chemistry with Mackie, the supporting cast, Madripoor and the cool fights, I think it did good.

That's what I'm saying. I love the family aspect also and all four of them have really good chemistry with each other.

I can do without Lana and her annoying CW teen drama family, but you can't always get what you want.

I have not seen that, but that is definitely a plus in it's favor then. I just will never get over the Kate stuff. First they cast awful Ruby Rose while writing her very little like Kate, then they "killed her off". Batwoman is Kate. This is like trying to take Bruce out of Batman and it truly bothers me.

I haven't read really any Kate Kane comics, so with Ruby Rose not exactly causing me to get attached to the character, it was a bit easy for me. I was sticking around mainly for the supporting cast. And getting a better actress for them to bounce off of really helped. The show isn't great, but it is worlds better than Flash as the moment.

I haven't read really any Kate Kane comics, so with Ruby Rose not exactly causing me to get attached to the character, it was a bit easy for me. I was sticking around mainly for the supporting cast. And getting a better actress for them to bounce off of really helped. The show isn't great, but it is worlds better than Flash as the moment.
Don't feel too bad, Darth only has because I forced him to. :o

As far as Sam goes and his whole storyline, I'm 50/50. I didn't quite agree with his choices but what I can appreciate is having the Isaiah Bradley character featured to show both sides of the argument. I like that they actually went as far as Bradley telling Sam that he must've been crazy to think he can be the white world's Cap and be accepted. But as far as Sam's choice to be the new Cap after this whole adventure, I don't think it would've been my choice if I was him.
Sam is the one who becomes Captain America. Sam is the one who is placed in the position of "being right" against the older man, who they treat as disgruntled. That Sam handles the situation he does, especially after the last two Captain America movies, where Steve shows the proper way to handle a corrupt system is all time bad really. Instead of being helpful, it is actively harmful imo. Add the cherry on the top of Sam absolving world leaders of their intent and every time I think about the show, it somehow gets worse.

This is without getting into how over under baked. How Sam and Bucky aren't even the heart of the show for the majority of it's runtime.

But even with all that, nah I don't think it's a damning indictment to say the show was pretty okay. It had its missteps and had to change a few things around, but considering Stan, his chemistry with Mackie, the supporting cast, Madripoor and the cool fights, I think it did good.
I think the show is a misstep. But even in the realm of "It's okay", we are living in an era of absolutely phenomenal television, with a lot of quality for superheroes, that being okay isn't really enough anymore imo. We are past the times where Arrow would get a pass imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"