The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or does Bendis have no place being involved with Action 1000? It has nothing to do with his quality as a writer, and everything to do with this being a landmark moment for DC which Bendis has almost no association with up until a few months ago?

Is Metal still ongoing? I remember seeing a lot from the tie ins and one shots, but then it kind of disappeared.

Mister Miracle #1:

latest

The story starts with Mister Miracle aka Scott Free being brought to the hospital by Barda and find out that this was potentially caused by the escape master’s attempt at escaping death. However the story seems to give us reason to question whether the effects of said attempts success is still in progress due to the fact that Scott is having a conversation with Oberon only to be reminded by his wife that he’s dead and nobody is in the room with him.

The highfather also has a conversation with Scott revealing that Darkseid has found the Anti-Life Equation and that he has the power to change reality with it...Which could potentially be why Scott is seeing things that aren’t there.

Alongside that there is a constant use of the phrase “Darkseid Is” as Miracle and Barda prepare for a war with Darkseid, the man whom Scott was raised and abused by for most of his life. So one must wonder what the significance of that phrase is?

What I can definitely say is that this books art style, presentation and dialogue definitely comes off as something that goes against the grain and potentially a game changer for the artform.

If there is anything that bugs me about this series is that I can’t wait to read more and issues 7-12 are still a while away.

Score: 9/10

New General Thrawn comic for anyone into Star Wars comics.

The more issues I read of Mister Miracle, the more I find myself wanting to read me.

Whether it’s the new wrinkle where Granny Goodness planted a seed of distrust in Scott towards Orion, Scott’s falling grip on discerning reality from fiction or Orion becoming more dictatorial and rigging a trial against Scott for “heresy” with leading questions. Not to mention how the last set of questions really hit home at what Scott believes and what’s bothering him regarding his hate for his life despite having everything.

I can’t wait to read more of this when I’m off work again.

Mister Miracle has been an incredible read. Very surreal, which is a very effective approach, given that the story focuses on the New Gods. Among the best books to come out in a long time.

I finally caught up on Mister Miracle and Wow....just Wow.

Everything from Scott and Barda spending their “last day” together having sex, philosophical conversations about reality etc just really feels bittersweet and sad because it makes you wonder what you’d do if you knew you only had one day to live. However, whether good or bad, it ends up being undercut in the next issue with a major hope spot by Barda and Scott deciding to make their escape and confront Orion after taking down his men. Which involved humorous conversation of them talking about furniture, just to have them come across a dead Orion with Darkseid as the culprit.

These two issues lead to both a very bittersweet then funny experience until the last page on issue 6.

Tom King is really on a roll with this book and I hope 7-12 continue the issue by issue increase in quality.

I finally caught up on Mister Miracle and Wow....just Wow.

Everything from Scott and Barda spending their “last day” together having sex, philosophical conversations about reality etc just really feels bittersweet and sad because it makes you wonder what you’d do if you knew you only had one day to live. However, whether good or bad, it ends up being undercut in the next issue with a major hope spot by Barda and Scott deciding to make their escape and confront Orion after taking down his men. Which involved humorous conversation of them talking about furniture, just to have them come across a dead Orion with Darkseid as the culprit.

These two issues lead to both a very bittersweet then funny experience until the last page on issue 6.

Tom King is really on a roll with this book and I hope 7-12 continue the issue by issue increase in quality.

I didn’t notice that ending. I thought it ended with Scott walking into Orion’s room.

So far, I’ve been reading Wondering Woman/Conan and I can definitely say that based on the first two issues, this storyline is Amazing. If anyone ever wondered if Simone still has her touch....It’s safe to say she does and Lopresti’s artwork is just awesome as well.

Whatever happened to Judd Winnick? Is he still writing comics? I remember the first half of his Green Arrow run being real good.

621697._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Finally finished Wonder Woman/Conan.

So the basic story is that these shapeshifting crowd goddesses called The Corvidae has set up a situation where Conan and Wonder Woman would fight to the death for their own amusement but it ends up not working that way.

It starts with Conan saving someone who welches on deals from getting killed with the promise of being made rich and able to have all the women he wants. The man tells him that the fight he’s betting on is guaranteed to give him the money needed to make good on that promise.

However, the plan goes awry when the fighter ends up losing to Wonder Woman (whom is enslaved at the time and doesn’t remember who she is), However Conan ends up losing interest in that when he sees Wonder Woman and she reminds him of a woman from his past named “Yanna”. Both of them end up captured by the Slaver who plans to make them fight for the Corvidae’s own amusement. Of course they both escape and the time used during the escape is where the story focuses on developing the relationship between Conan and Wonder Woman that seems to have a tinge of both Warrior’s Respect and romance. The story does its best to convince you that maybe Wonder Woman is this Yanna that Conan thinks she is but as the story unfolds Diana remembers who and what she is. There is a moment in the story where the Amazons find a way to Conan’s time zone after the Corvidae show up in Themyscira and that leads to a moment where Diana is forced to leave Conan fighting a war by himself that also has the life of his childhood friend Yanna on the line. She gives him one of her bracelets and the lasso of truth to help him.

Wonder Woman feels guilty about it and just in time when Conan is attacking the Corvidae on his own Diana and the Amazons return along with the Welcher freeing the slaves to engage in all out war with the Corvidae.

The story really does a great job of balancing the Hyborian Age’s more grim aesthetic with the more hopeful vibe of Wonder Woman’s lore and for that day Conan and the townspeople were inspired by her nature.

The story strangely ends in a bittersweet fashion where Conan finds out that Yanna is now Married with Children. However him and Diana end up leaving with one kiss and an Amazon salute...atleast the main story but there’s a little tidbit at the end that harkens back to a line Yanna told Conan about the possibility of there being “Echoes in the Chasm” which seems to imply the concept of reincarnation.

There are a lot of crossovers in media that either don’t often live up to the hype at all or are good because they delivery on the sheer novelty factor of said crossover but honestly everything from the storyline, art, action and character driven approach taken to the story really makes this one of the best comic crossovers one will probably ever read. It’s not often I read a crossover (especially an inter company one) where I can say it gave me everything I wanted but I can easily say that for this.

Definitely a 9/10 from start to finish.

It really makes me excited for her upcoming Red Sonja/Conan crossover but sad we likely won’t see a follow up to this book at the same time.

I hate the Comedian and that he's so popular and, though I'm not reading the Doomsday Clock comics, that
he got to be brought back and crossed-over

I can’t believe that they delayed Doomsday Clock for that issue. That story is turning out to be a huge letdown.

621697._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Finally finished Wonder Woman/Conan.

So the basic story is that these shapeshifting crowd goddesses called The Corvidae has set up a situation where Conan and Wonder Woman would fight to the death for their own amusement but it ends up not working that way.

It starts with Conan saving someone who welches on deals from getting killed with the promise of being made rich and able to have all the women he wants. The man tells him that the fight he’s betting on is guaranteed to give him the money needed to make good on that promise.

However, the plan goes awry when the fighter ends up losing to Wonder Woman (whom is enslaved at the time and doesn’t remember who she is), However Conan ends up losing interest in that when he sees Wonder Woman and she reminds him of a woman from his past named “Yanna”. Both of them end up captured by the Slaver who plans to make them fight for the Corvidae’s own amusement. Of course they both escape and the time used during the escape is where the story focuses on developing the relationship between Conan and Wonder Woman that seems to have a tinge of both Warrior’s Respect and romance. The story does its best to convince you that maybe Wonder Woman is this Yanna that Conan thinks she is but as the story unfolds Diana remembers who and what she is. There is a moment in the story where the Amazons find a way to Conan’s time zone after the Corvidae show up in Themyscira and that leads to a moment where Diana is forced to leave Conan fighting a war by himself that also has the life of his childhood friend Yanna on the line. She gives him one of her bracelets and the lasso of truth to help him.

Wonder Woman feels guilty about it and just in time when Conan is attacking the Corvidae on his own Diana and the Amazons return along with the Welcher freeing the slaves to engage in all out war with the Corvidae.

The story really does a great job of balancing the Hyborian Age’s more grim aesthetic with the more hopeful vibe of Wonder Woman’s lore and for that day Conan and the townspeople were inspired by her nature.

The story strangely ends in a bittersweet fashion where Conan finds out that Yanna is now Married with Children. However him and Diana end up leaving with one kiss and an Amazon salute...atleast the main story but there’s a little tidbit at the end that harkens back to a line Yanna told Conan about the possibility of there being “Echoes in the Chasm” which seems to imply the concept of reincarnation.

There are a lot of crossovers in media that either don’t often live up to the hype at all or are good because they delivery on the sheer novelty factor of said crossover but honestly everything from the storyline, art, action and character driven approach taken to the story really makes this one of the best comic crossovers one will probably ever read. It’s not often I read a crossover (especially an inter company one) where I can say it gave me everything I wanted but I can easily say that for this.

Definitely a 9/10 from start to finish.

It really makes me excited for her upcoming Red Sonja/Conan crossover but sad we likely won’t see a follow up to this book at the same time.
Thanks for this review. I'm definitely going to check it out now. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"