The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to figure out what to read next. I’m in the mood for something late 1980’s-early 90’s. Back when editors made quips in the comics and stories were a good blend of dark but serious but not necessarily “adult content.”

Yeah, I did enjoy the Scooby-Doo Team-up issues. :D

SDTUP_34_Print_ds.jpg
I like the style because reminds me of Ty Templeton's but I never read it.
Maybe I should give it a chance.

So, Future state continues to be actually pretty nice.

Superman, Shazam, and im slowly starting to feel Batman.
Immortal Wonder Woman was cool too, but i wont lie that for mostly that little wonderbat thing at the beginning...im so desperate for crumbs that it take it however i can get it(also for nubia, was nice seeing her again).

So, Future state continues to be actually pretty nice.

Picked up the Superman book and was pretty invested in the "John Carter of Mars on War World" vibe but didn't care for the other "Superman is the best of us!" waxing.

The Mister Miracle back-up was pretty good too.

More than that, I was surprised by the amount of content. One 22 page story, one 20 page story, one 8 pager and one 10 pager. Not bad for 8 bucks.

Trying to figure out what to read next. I’m in the mood for something late 1980’s-early 90’s. Back when editors made quips in the comics and stories were a good blend of dark but serious but not necessarily “adult content.”

Check out John Ostrander's Firestorm run. Issues 58-79, 81-100 and Annual #5. Perfect mix between Roy Thomas superheroism and Alan Moore's character exploration.

Last edited:
On the Ostrander note, it was very late 90’s so maybe not quite what @Babillygunn is looking for, but his Martian Manhunter run was also awesome. I might need to re-read that soon myself.

On the Ostrander note, it was very late 90’s so maybe not quite what @Babillygunn is looking for, but his Martian Manhunter run was also awesome. I might need to re-read that soon myself.
I read some of Ostrander’s Spectre from early 90’s recently. I’ve never read his Martian Manhunter and I’ve never read his Suicide Squad even though DC Universe has been recommending it to me for a year now.

Immortal WW was probably the best Diana issue since the beginning of Rebirth. Gave me faith in the creative team taking the character over full time. Also DC would are fools for letting a title like The Immortal Wonder Woman go to waste after this.

Future State Catwoman was FUNNNN and made me yearn for a Catwoman show even more. If Otto can handle monthly, give him Catwoman or a Black Canary title to work on full time STAT.

I really enjoyed Future State Catwoman as well. It had a very cinematic vibe to it. Escape from NY meets Snowpiercer. And it worked. I groan a bit at Onomatopoeia showing up just because it gives me a sick taste in my mouth to remember Widening Gyre. But I will let it slide here and try to remember his introduction in Kevin Smith’s Green Arrow, which was much better. Hopefully he works here. So far Future State Catwoman is fun and exciting. Very well written with very nice whimsical art. I like it!

I also really liked Future State Nightwing. A lot of Battle for the Cowl vibes going out on this one and it works. I love having Dick shown as a brilliant tactician and acknowledging his intellect and abilities as a planner. The cover art is gorgeous, but I don’t love the design for the Nightwing suit. Specifically I don’t understand why he has a chinstrap. That was my only knock on a terrific issue.

@flickchick85 and @CrimsonMist

I started Ostrander’s Martian Manhunter this morning and I plan to read his Firestorm run after that. Thanks for the suggestions. I’m thinking that I might then jump into some Bronze Age Detective Comics after those.

First DETECTIVE COMICS I ever bought was #494 and 495 Way back in 1980.
DetectiveComics494.jpg DetectiveComics495.jpg

Batman vs the Crime Doctor by Michael Fleisher and Don Newton(Don is still my favorite All-Time Batman Artist).

That had always been my favorite Batman design. Jim Aparo's run on Batman and the Outsiders is still a favorite of mine.

What Price Anthologies for DC Comics - And The Creators?
Bleeding Cool has pointed out that DC Comics appears to be moving closer to an anthology model of publishing. Both in Future State and the comics to follow, there is a definite switch from a 20 pages-for-$3.99 model to a 60 pages-for-$7.99 price point. This is more like European publishing model for the newsstand. It is notable that comic books were dropped from the US newsstand when that was more of a thing because they were too low a price point, compared to magazines, for shops and distributors to deal with...

The comments section is interesting.

I dont think that will really help them. What they should do is seasons. Every 12 seasons tells a complete story. When they have events going on, give the title extra issues or enough heads up to tie it in properly. But I dont think people will buy into $7.99

So I have discovered the joys of getting collections for cheap on Ebay and this may become a problem for my finances. There are so many good deals...all the time....:nrv:
Orbital Comics in London has a nice pre-owned section. When I visit them I inevitably find I spend more on that than on the newer stuff. Individually they're bargains....but they soon add up!

Yeah, i remember when he started over at Tumblr a few years ago with this.
Then people already wondered why the hell DC doesnt hire him, there is so much talent and love in this project, people were losing it over how much they enjoyed it over at tumblr.

This is a super cute, super good fan made web comic. DC seriously needs to hire this person and make it into either a Justice League Babies show or comic
#1 - JL8 Comic
I really enjoyed these. Someone regularly posted these in the "LOL Batman" thread here years ago and it was always nice to see a new issue.

Batman : Curse of the White KNight, was this ever released as a paperback?

So random, but I'm on a Mongul kick and I've decided I really wish he had his own omnibus or trade or something. I know there's that Superman vs. Mongul trade, but two of the best Mongul stories I know of don't involve Supes at all and therefore aren't included in that (I'm not even sure it includes his story from the "Exile" arc). The awesome Mongul Showcase story Tomasi did in the '90's I don't think is available in ANY collected edition at all. :(

But I suppose it's probably for the best - I've already got 3 omnibus purchases planned for this year, which is a lot for me (and my wallet), lol.

I'm curious chick, how does one go on a Mongul kick? And what are those 2 stories you mentioned because I always thought the only mongul stories worth mentioning are the ones involving Superman (even though he's danced with the GL corps before).

Mongul was a great villain in the pre-crisis because he was essentially superman's Darkseid (an evil alien despot who happens to be one of the very beings in the whole known universe who can actually best superman in a fight) but then when Byrne came on Superman he made Darkseid into superman's Darkseid and Mongul became Darkseid lite. There is only room for one of them in superman's life IMO and I'd rather it be Darkseid and not the copy of his copy.

I'm curious chick, how does one go on a Mongul kick? And what are those 2 stories you mentioned because I always thought the only mongul stories worth mentioning are the ones involving Superman (even though he's danced with the GL corps before).

Mongul was a great villain in the pre-crisis because he was essentially superman's Darkseid (an evil alien despot who happens to be one of the very beings in the whole known universe who can actually best superman in a fight) but then when Byrne came on Superman he made Darkseid into superman's Darkseid and Mongul became Darkseid lite. There is only room for one of them in superman's life IMO and I'd rather it be Darkseid and not the copy of his copy.
That tangle with the GL Corps you mentioned (“Ring Quest”) and that 2-part Tomasi Showcase I mentioned are two of my faves, and they aren’t Supes battles. I personally find Mongul a lot more interesting when he’s at a low point, doesn’t have Warworld or all his minions, and therefore isn’t much resembling Darkseid, and is scrambling for his next power move. Incidentally, both those stories are written by Tomasi, so I guess I consider him my favorite Mongul writer. But yes, aside from those stories, I also re-read Exile, For the Man Who Has Everything, and his initial Pre-Crisis appearance. That was my Mongul kick.

I also re-read Exile, For the Man Who Has Everything, and his initial Pre-Crisis appearance...
I prefer Moore's For the Man Who Has Everything to his Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?. Great story. Pretty influential too. I've seen quite a few stories that have used the 'Black Mercy' type of plot device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"