The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

Last week of Comics September before the Spooky time begins

Action Comics #1047

A good issue that does little outstanding.
It reminds you off one of the older Superman comics in terms of Superman as Symbol, Clark as person and Lex the evil…wow super evil dirtbag.
I don’t know, I expected more emotion from Supermans return.

Batman: Beyond the White Knight #5

The usual Sean Murphy Batman stuff…good written, well drawn, fantastic pacing…in a incredible interesting world.
Nothing to complain there.

Detective comics #1064

Definitly feels more like a filler issue, but still a incredible good issue.
The writing and characterization, the pacing, the art…all on the level you expect it to be.
It delivers even though it feels like its just a filler to stretch the story over a certain length.

Harley Quinn #22

Its Harley Quinn.
The level keeps being consistent good, whatever they do so far I enjoyed and that is really all that matters.
It keeps my interest up and im liking it.

Tim Drake: Robin #1

Nope, sorry but no…Tim deserves more than this.
Nothing about this works, not the art, not the writing…not the pacing.
And where Jay for Jon works, Bernard and Tim just doesn’t work for me.
Tim and Steph was so good and while I do appreciate the LGBT inclusion for Tim, so far they have done very little with it and it feels less organic than Jay and Jon.

Good week

So I managed to get all current and previous issues of Chip Zdarsky‘s Batman and Ram V’s Detective runs and had them put in my pull list. So I’ll pay for them on Wednesday and read them on my day off Thursday. Looking forward to reading them.

Maybe someone can help me on this because i feel like im a little bit slow on this at the moment.

Im currently looking into getting the paperback/hardcover versions of some of the Infinite Frontier books, but i cant seem to find the Volume(s) of Flash.
Isnt it Vol.1 as usual when a relaunch/reboot happens?

I cant seem to find at least in English...in German i could get the current 2 volumes...but somehow im not finding it in English.

upload_2022-10-4_18-45-13.jpeg

I’m sure that there is an audience out there for this book, but I honestly don’t know who it is. I for one can truly say that I haven’t come across anyone who I’ve heard say “you know what character I just love? Ghostmaker!”

View attachment 59078

I’m sure that there is an audience out there for this book, but I honestly don’t know who it is. I for one can truly say that I haven’t come across anyone who I’ve heard say “you know what character I just love? Ghostmaker!”

I do like Ghostmaker, but yeah...Batman Inc already has a rather tough time with fans as it is.
Without Tynion who created Ghostmaker, i dont really see the character being used too much and therefore made interesting enough to keep this floating.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Comics Week, a very small one…but god damn Mister Zdarsky, you make this one issue feel like ten

Batman #128

Where to begin?
This issue again does so much that I always wanted to be done.
You got Bruce who calls the league his friends, who shows real concern and worry instead of being the stoic “the mission is all that matters” dude.
You got more of Bruce/Tim and Bruce acting like a Father, encouraging Tim and Trusting him.
And Failsafe is really cool too, such a menace.
I don’t know about another “gotham has fallen” arc, but with the timeskip and all, you have a different feeling than with arc that previously where a bit like this.
So yeah, another incredible issue that keeps hitting higher and higher.
Like I always say, if Zdarsky can keep this level…we might get the greatest Batman run ever.

And it cant be said enough times...DCs cover Art in general is top notch.
Those Batman covers are so incredible.

The Joker: The Man who stopped laughing #1

I wasn’t really sure about this one to begin with.
But I liked the writing a lot and the Art…and that twist at the end really rose my interest in this.
Another Joker Book I will enjoy? We will see, issue 1 definitly was good.

Poison Ivy #5

This continues to be fun and really interesting, which I absolutely didn’t expect when the book began.
I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I know now that I exceeded my expectations.
The Art is good, the writing crisp, the pacing works…there is really no problem on my end with this.

Only 3 books this week, but like I said, Batman feels so much bigger than just one issue.
I really cant praise it enough, I love how Chip Zdarsky seems to have heard the complains of Fans for years and understands what the fans want.
Im really looking forward to what comes after this arc, but also the final of the arc itself…its so good.

So I bought the current runs of Batman and Detective Comics and I’m loving both for different reasons. I love that Chip Zdarsky’s run is more bombastic and epic while Ram V’s run is more mysterious, cerebral and horror focused. So I feel like I’m getting two separate takes on Batman but both giving me what I want from the character between the two books so it makes it more fun to read them. This latest issue of Batman was dope and Failsafe is a great antagonist with the stakes being high. I seen on the Comic Book resources that people aren’t enjoying Zdarsky’s run as much as Ram V’s because they feel like Batman is more of the same stuff but I feel like yeah he is retreading old ground already covered and yeah it may seem that way but I feel like the story he’s telling is so well written that does it matter and this is just the first (great) arc that we’ll see what else he brings to the table.

I love that Ram V compared his run to Hannibal because I feel like that’s very accurate because his run is dripping with gothic horror atmosphere and Bruce confronting his age and morality which I find interesting and of course his changing relationship with Gotham and it’s citizens like Harvey for example that’s continuing to also change. So yeah I’m really loving these two runs so far.

So I bought the current runs of Batman and Detective Comics and I’m loving both for different reasons. I love that Chip Zdarsky’s run is more bombastic and epic while Ram V’s run is more mysterious, cerebral and horror focused. So I feel like I’m getting two separate takes on Batman but both giving me what I want from the character between the two books so it makes it more fun to read them. This latest issue of Batman was dope and Failsafe is a great antagonist with the stakes being high. I seen on the Comic Book resources that people aren’t enjoying Zdarsky’s run as much as Ram V’s because they feel like Batman is more of the same stuff but I feel like yeah he is retreading old ground already covered and yeah it may seem that way but I feel like the story he’s telling is so well written that does it matter and this is just the first (great) arc that we’ll see what else he brings to the table.

I love that Ram V compared his run to Hannibal because I feel like that’s very accurate because his run is dripping with gothic horror atmosphere and Bruce confronting his age and morality which I find interesting and of course his changing relationship with Gotham and it’s citizens like Harvey for example that’s continuing to also change. So yeah I’m really loving these two runs so far.
If I had to choose between the two, I’d easily choose the Zdarsky run so far. It has such respect for the characters and it has a lot of “stand up and cheer” moments. I think your description of “bombastic” is a good one. It just wants to make you smile. And that’s a good thing.

Ram V’s Detective run so far has been good as well. But it is a slow, simmering boil, whereas Zdarsky has a roaring grill that he’s cooking on.

I’m glad that I can enjoy both, and don’t have to choose.

As Batman fan, having to choose between Detective Comics and Batman is hell, because they both do incredible things yeah.
I never understood why comic book fans of all, would have a problem with Writers covering old ground...i love that.
You could tell me Two Faces origin story a dozens of times, i would always want that because every writer has a different idea despite it being the same ground etc.
I dont care if different writers tackle the same problems, its always something new and unique.
And dont both runs kind of tackle what Tynion has done in his run?
So i dont really see that as problem.

Im loving both runs so far and especially since they do something i always want with Batman/Detective Comics.
They have both different styles and vibes...that is what i always want with those two books.
Two Books that tackle the same character but with different focus and vibe.

If i would have to choose, i would always think about which one i could give to non fans easier, and that is Zdarskys run.
Ram V is i think more for us Fans to celebrate the Gothic/Horror nature of it.

Comics Week

Batgirls #11

The usual…but I have to say I found Cassandra slightly too quirky in this.
A bit too much from how I want it.
But other than that, yet again a solid issue.

Batman vs Robin #2

2 for 2, issue 2 also delivers on all fronts.
Except the final…Booooooooooooo you bastards.
Don’t toy with me, bring Alfred back I don’t care how.
The real Alfred without any ifs or buts.
Im not playing here, bring the man back or we will have words.XD
That something is fishy was clear when “Alfred” showed up just like that.
We will see, either way the story so far is good.

Batman Urban Legends #20

Okay, please continue with the Castle Arkham Universe after this…I love that one already.
Its such a cool Universe already, im fully in love with it.
Other than that, yeah the rest of the issue was good too.
Again, I love the Urban Legends Series because it gives you several stories in one and you often find a gem in it.
Like here the Castle Arkham universe, the lovely Alfred story…people underestimate this series.

Jurassic League #6

Oh man, already the end? Too bad, I really had fun with that one.
Its such a cool concept and all that, it’s a shame it only got 6 issues.
I haven’t seen merchandise etc so far for it either…DC is dropping the ball if they don’t keep this Series around any way they can.
Its such a neat idea.

Superman Son of Kal-El #16

The driving force of this Issue was the build up to when Clark and Jon finally are reunited.
Outside of this, the issue really didn’t do too much imo.
It highlights again my problems with Jon as character…the fact that way to often the character is rather bland.
But anyway, I have the hope with Clark back, there will be need to make more out of Jon as character.
I loved the “My Fathers heartbeat” and the reunion, that was really lovely.
It is where I think the Superman books in general are at their strongest.
Not when its about Strength or power, but heart.
When the kindness and Love shines through.

Wonder Woman #792

A good issue with great art.
The story itself feels like we had that a few times already.
Feral Cheetah that through Dianas Love finds her way back.
Nothing truly new here I feel.
Still, good and nice…a Issue that feels positive in everything.
The vibrant art, the message…very nice.
But we need more for Wonder Woman…an arc that rings loud and tells the people that Wonder Woman Is still here.
Infinite Frontier is really good so far, but the lack of Wonder Woman greatness…is noticeable.

A good week.

Can someone please tell me who this green Warewolf/Tiger looking dude is?

Thank you. Xq4QiiVSLMskbAVRFW6MFM.jpg

Can someone please tell me who this green Warewolf/Tiger looking dude is?

Thank you. View attachment 59307
Seems it's Beast Boy

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/10/14/williamson-sampere-dark-crisis-issue-6-dc-comics/

4th panel down the page, just below this quote from Joshua Williamson ;
"I’ve always been a fan of Beast Boy. I wanted to show him being like a badass a little bit. We knew we were going to shoot him in the face in issue one. I still can’t believe people thought we were gonna kill in issue #1. But then I knew the flip side of that was him discovering his anger. Really let him embrace apart from the stuff we don’t normally see. That there’s a nice version of him, and then we get to see the angry version of him that is like, “No, I’m gonna go after you, and I’m gonna slice you up” to Deathstroke. That’s why we went there."

DC Comics I bought earlier today.
upload_2022-10-19_22-31-22.jpeg

I decided to start collecting some Superman Books in the buildup to 1050 and the new direction DC is taking the books next year which sounds exciting. So far I think that Kal-EL returns is off to a great start and I’m most definitely feeling the art for the two books. Black Adam continues to be a great read since it started. Duo has really impressed me since #1 and I plan on reading #6 tomorrow but if the finale is as good as the buildup then I can’t wait to see the talent that Milestone gets for future Earth-M books and hopefully a follow up to this book. I was disappointed my local comic shop didn’t have any of my Marvel books but it happens and they said that they should get them Friday but anyway out of the three of four DC books a pretty good week so far.

Last edited:
Another Comics week

Aquaman: Andromeda #3

Oh man, I totally ignored that this is only 3 issues long…god damn it.
Still, incredible…just incredible.
Visual, the writing…all so incredible well done.
Definitly one I will pick up later on when its as Volume avaliable.

Batman/Superman Worlds Finest #8

Put my reviews to the other issues into this…such a good series.
The heart in it, the talent…absolutely great.
Everything in this works so well together and is just a ton of fun.
It lives up to the expectations people had and raises them with every issue.

Batman The Knight #10

Incredible, just incredible.
What a great way to end this fantastic comic.
Incredible work from everyone in this creative team.
Its such a great story to fill the blanks that were there between losing his parents and when he returned to gotham to start his crusade.
Absolutely fantastic.

Black Adam #5

This one keeps being fun as hell.
Its such a neat book, im having fun with it a lot.
Well written and drawn, fantastic pacing and flow…nothing to complain there on my part.

The Flash #787

Ahahahahah, what a dumb fun issue…I love how it makes me feel like a child watching a goofy cartoon or so again.
Space Wrestling and Flash…how can one not love this?
It is such a dumb concept on paper, but so much fun in the end.
This is just someone having a crazy idea for an issue and going for it.
I just cant stop laughing at this issue, its such a joy to read because of the nonsense it is without trying to justify itself.
Just a team of creative people having fun with The Flash…I love it so much.
It helps that im also a wrestling fan, but even if not…this is glorious.

Nightwing #97

This one causes currently a bit of controversy for its Clickbaity promotion.
Im not too bothered, im used to it.
I always said that often Covers show stuff that never happens in issues…so it doesn’t bother me.
But I can see why it might bother others.
Anyway, the issue…solid.
A bit weird ending but the rest Is fine.
Okay the Dick/Barbara sex thing was kind of weird, but maybe im Jealous because nobody does anything close to that with Wonderbat…but whatever.
I think we should all be glad DC keeps one of their main pairings together…considering what Marvel did with Peter/MJ recently, we should be glad if things run fine here.
Yeah, not much else to say, Nightwing keeps going and is fun.

So yeah, the week was fun…that’s about it.

Last Comic week of October…not really spooky or so, but a nice week.

Action Comics #1048

That was a weird issue and the Arc seems kind of wonky at the moment.
Im really not sure what to make of this, so I will wait and see where this goes.
I have a hunch, but you never know.
So I cant really say good or bad…I love the cover, that’s the one thing im sure about.

Batman - Beyond the White Knight #6

What can I say to that? Its another Issue in Murphys White Knight universe.
It is great, im having fun and all.
There is not much else to say to that.
I want to keep these kind of reviews short and sweet, so im not going into details.
I could talk about stuff in details but I like the way I do those weekly Opinion posts.
Making it longer would kind of ruin the idea I think.
Here and there I praise specific stuff, in Murphys case there is in every issue a lot from design to details like when he uses the shadows to remind you that Batman and Nightwing or so stand there…such nice details.
But like, I wouldn’t be able to stop myself and drag this out too much.
So I keep it short and sweet.

Detective Comics #1065

It is such a interesting Arc with the new characters being really intriguing and all.
Im really liking the Arc.
However I found the last pages of the chapter the most interesting.
Because the Topic of Jim and “knowing” who is behind the Batman mask is always something cool.
Its one of those Character aspects that deserve to be looked at more.
But anyway…cool issue.

Harley Quinn #23

The Arc currenly is confusing and I miss the more over the top art style.
Also, Harley beating Damian? No way man, No Way.
But the arc itself sounds interesting and im curious.
So lets see where this goes.

Just got Superman: Brainiac by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank from the Library and I plan on hopefully reading it tomorrow or Wednesday. I’ve been wanting to read this for a while so I can’t wait to check it out.

Last edited:
Just got Superman: Brainiac by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank from the Library and I plan on hopefully reading it tomorrow or Wednesday. I’ve been wanting to read this for a while so I can’t wait to check it out.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
I love that story. It really presents Braniac as a terrifying foe. I also think that Kara shines in that story as well.

I am currently re-reading Tom King’s Mister Miracle for the 5th time.

I LOVE King’s respect for and homages to Kirby’s work. And the depth of this writing is superb. I also love King’s writing of the relationship between Scott and Barda. It’s especially wonderful when you realize that Kirby modeled Barda and after how he viewed his own wife. King respects that and writes Barda as strong, loyal, compassionate, tender-yet butt kicking, with a fairly prevalent mischievous side that makes her extremely fun. She and Scott are probably the two most likeable and relatable characters that King has ever written. Knowing their history and significance to Kirby, I find King’s treatment of them very sweet.

Can’t wait for this.

it’ll help ease the blow since Stargirls cancellation even though we still have a few weeks left with the series.

Batman vs Robin #2

2 for 2, issue 2 also delivers on all fronts.
Except the final…Booooooooooooo you bastards.
Don’t toy with me, bring Alfred back I don’t care how.
The real Alfred without any ifs or buts.
Im not playing here, bring the man back or we will have words.XD
That something is fishy was clear when “Alfred” showed up just like that.
We will see, either way the story so far is good.

Also really enjoying this series. Now, I haven't read the comics where Alfred actually died, but I read this ending differently. I thought Alfred got possessed while in the house, but perhaps you are right and he has been fake all along. Might need to go back to #1 and look for clues.

Jurassic League #6

Oh man, already the end? Too bad, I really had fun with that one.
Its such a cool concept and all that, it’s a shame it only got 6 issues.
I haven’t seen merchandise etc so far for it either…DC is dropping the ball if they don’t keep this Series around any way they can.
Its such a neat idea.

I felt this final issue was a bit of a let down, but loved the series overall. These bulking dinosaurs look awesome, amazing art. Pretty sure this isn't the last of this series, based on "The End... ?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"