The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

It's the new Deluxe Edition release. That's the direct market variant cover.

Thank for letting me know there is a direct market variant, I would have seen the regular and just thought I was looking at the wrong version.

My holiday pickups are:

Physical
Dark Nights Death Metal
Lois Lane Enemy of the People
Wonder Girl Homecoming

Digital
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen by Jack Kirby
Blackest Night: Green Lantern
Blackest Night: Green Lantern Corps
Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps Vol 1&2
Blackest Night: Rise of the Black Lanterns
Blackest Night: Tale of the Corps
Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns
Green Lantern: Agent Orange

Normally I'm a physical snob but I've had the DC Essential Edition Blackest Night Saga trade since it came out in 2019 but I've never read it because I've always felt like I would be missing something without reading the tie-ins also. And then for some reason I was looking on Kindle and saw that they have DC trades on sale. I think all of them I bought are listed at 89% off. Jimmy Olsen was the most expensive at $2.99 and the rest were $1.99. And considering last time I looked some of these physical trades are around $50 if not more, so even I couldn't pass them up.

So Green Arrow getting a family, new villains and allies. I guess everyone in Dc Comics is getting their equivalent Bats/Sups family in spades now.

So Green Arrow getting a family, new villains and allies. I guess everyone in Dc Comics is getting their equivalent Bats/Sups family in spades now.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is in some way reflecting things that Gunn and Safran are planning for the DCEU.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is in some way reflecting things that Gunn and Safran are planning for the DCEU.
I don’t really want a Green Arrow film if it’s not going to be the comics accurate politically leftist take. I love it when Oliver is shown as the people’s hero. When done well, he is the DC equivalent of Daredevil. When done poorly, he is a dollar-store generic knockoff of Batman.

Also, the Dinah/Oliver relationship is the best relationship in DC. It even is better than Wally West and Linda Park. It overshadows Clark and Lois.

So yeah, when done well, it has the potential to be one of the best titles at DC.

I don't generally buy Marvel omni's, but in the last month, I got Miracleman (which only kinda counts as Marvel imo) and now this beauty:

IMG_2353.jpg

The best run Carol Danvers has ever had, imo! And did I get the DM cover just because that one had Dexter Soy's art on the spine? Who's to say. :o

IMG_2354.jpg

I gotta counterbalance all this Marvel spending with a new DC omni, though, so I'm getting the reprint of this guy next:

81kuyPxecuL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
:mrk:

On another note, I can't wait for the collection of Superman: Space Age because I am LOVING that story.

I don't generally buy Marvel omni's, but in the last month, I got Miracleman (which only kinda counts as Marvel imo) and now this beauty:

Still need to pull the trigger on the Miracleman omnibus. My girlfriend's mom gave me a gift card for Christmas so I think it's time.

I also had my eye on the Busiek/Perez Avengers omni as I really wanted to read it. But then I found the whole run gathered as a set for $20 at a comic shop in North Carolina while visiting my girlfriend and her family for New Year's so I plunked down the cash on that and saved my wallet some hurt. Worth it. These are great comics.

Last edited:
I don’t really want a Green Arrow film if it’s not going to be the comics accurate politically leftist take. I love it when Oliver is shown as the people’s hero. When done well, he is the DC equivalent of Daredevil. When done poorly, he is a dollar-store generic knockoff of Batman.

Also, the Dinah/Oliver relationship is the best relationship in DC. It even is better than Wally West and Linda Park. It overshadows Clark and Lois.

So yeah, when done well, it has the potential to be one of the best titles at DC.

True yeah, Lefty Oliver or nothing.
And of course any DCU Green Arrow needs to have a working Dinah/Oliver chemistry...thats a must.

Anyway...here we are in the year 2023, which means a new year for Comics as we enter year 3 of Infinite Frontier.
I hope this year will be as good…no, better than 2022, I cant wait for what DC has in store.

Batman #131

And we start the year with Chip Zdarsky and Batman.
It starts with a bang.
So Failsafe brought Bruce to a Universe where Bruce Wayne had died, a world where Gotham needs to be saved.
Writers have stepped definitely up their Elseworld takes in recent years, im already liking the Gotham Zdarsky brings us in.
Lets see where this goes and how Bruce finds a way back to his World.
Other than that, its well written as usual and im liking the art.
A lot of potential in this Arc.
As for the Cover...i really like the idea of it.
Something doesnt work fully, maybe the way Bruce is drawn...but the idea is cool.
Jason Fabok for the win here, cant go wrong with him.

The Joker: The Man Stopped Laughing #4

Another insane issue of this, that maybe tries to hard at times.
But still, im really interested in this story and where it goes.
Bald Joker has something, it’s a neat look I have to say.
But I would miss the Green Hair for sure.
Anyway, yeah…it’s a really interesting visual concept and im looking forward to the next issue.
Other than that, it makes waves because of its Backup issue.
Im sure some of you heard about it.
The usual none comic reader, incel youtuber grifter whine about it.

It’s just a crazy backup issue, nothing more.
One maybe two panels is what these Grifters use for clickbait and outrage…as usual.

As for the Covers...you can go with all of them, i like them all very much.

Poison Ivy #8

Story drags a bit at this stage, but im liking the writing and Art in general.
But don’t get me wrong, making the 10 issues full is a good thing.
Im at times a bit weird on this, I rather want to see a full 10 issue series instead of 8 or 7 or so.
Its just a number, but it annoys me at times greatly.
Anyway, yeah while the story drags since 1-2 issues…I got used to the Team who works on it and the character etc…so im enjoying this still.
The Normal Cover is fine, but Jenny Frisons cover has something.

First three comics of the year are already looking good.
Im pleased with Week 1.

As for other news, the Green Arrow 1 Cover...Fire.
Roy, oh Roy…you have never looked better than in this.
This cover promises such cool things…you guys better Subscribe to this.
We need more Green Arrow stuff going forward.
This is the right book to start there.

View attachment 61112

The best run Carol Danvers has ever had, imo! And did I get the DM cover just because that one had Dexter Soy's art on the spine? Who's to say. :o

View attachment 61113

I gotta counterbalance all this Marvel spending with a new DC omni, though, so I'm getting the reprint of this guy next:

81kuyPxecuL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
:mrk:

On another note, I can't wait for the collection of Superman: Space Age because I am LOVING that story.
I want that Batman and Robin omnibus!
And I started reading Superman: Space Age but only got through half of the first issue. I need to start over and get caught up.

The Joker: The Man Stopped Laughing #4

Other than that, it makes waves because of its Backup issue.
Im sure some of you heard about it.
The usual none comic reader, incel youtuber grifter whine about it.

I saw panels of it online and thought it looked hysterical. So now I plan on buying it next week if my shop has any copies left.

My shop was sold out of my books this week. A small week but no Gotham City Year One and no Flash. It was pretty weird.

What I did finally get in the mail today though were a bunch of Batman and Superman annuals from the UK. They're Deluxe sized hardcovers that reprint a bunch of 70s and early 80s Comics. But the selling point for me is that they all have 2-4 page prose short stories written by Alan Moore that have never been reprinted anywhere. And they're alot of fun. The Batman story is about the history of the gun that eventually killed the Waynes and has cool spot illustrations by Gary Leach. The first Superman story is about a galactic wildlife conservator and his attempt at capturing the last Kryptonion, while the other is about a cab driver who claims he once served as Superman's stunt double. Very cool books with very short stories and some fun bronze Age reprints in them as well. And a total pain my butt to track down. But well worth the effort!

What I did finally get in the mail today though were a bunch of Batman and Superman annuals from the UK. They're Deluxe sized hardcovers that reprint a bunch of 70s and early 80s Comics. But the selling point for me is that they all have 2-4 page prose short stories written by Alan Moore that have never been reprinted anywhere. And they're alot of fun. The Batman story is about the history of the gun that eventually killed the Waynes and has cool spot illustrations by Gary Leach. The first Superman story is about a galactic wildlife conservator and his attempt at capturing the last Kryptonion, while the other is about a cab driver who claims he once served as Superman's stunt double. Very cool books with very short stories and some fun bronze Age reprints in them as well. And a total pain my butt to track down. But well worth the effort!
I used to have a few of those hardback annuals as a kid. God knows what happened to them (sadly, often the way with stuff you had when you were young that you later realise is pretty desirable/collectable!),

I used to have a few of those hardback annuals as a kid. God knows what happened to them (sadly, often the way with stuff you had when you were young that you later realise is pretty desirable/collectable!),
At least once a week I lament losing my collection of Kenner Super Powers toys. Likewise I regret working late one Saturday in college and getting back to my parent’s house just in time to find out that my sister in law sold my entire comics collection for $20.

At least once a week I lament losing my collection of Kenner Super Powers toys. Likewise I regret working late one Saturday in college and getting back to my parent’s house just in time to find out that my sister in law sold my entire comics collection for $20.
Wow, I'm not sure which would hurt me more - the fact she sold them, or the price!

Second week of 2023 with a bunch of Comics, including the Lazarus Planet Alpha.

Batman & The Joker: The Deadly Duo #3

Issue 3 continues to have me interested.
Im really liking the Visuals of this comic, the character designs.
That main cover is incredible cool, but the Variant covers are pretty neat too so you wouldn’t go wrong with picking them up either.
The story is interesting so far and im really curious how it unfolds.
It doesn’t have the Fire you expect from a Joker/Batman team up…yet.
Im hoping the series really goes into this in future issues.

Batman: Urban Legends #23

Havent really paid attention, but is it really the final Urban Legends issue?
That would suck because I really love the Urban Legends comics.
I love the concept and all, so it would definitely suck.

Of course it wasn’t perfect, often out of 3-4 stories I had only 1 I cared, but these stories often were absolutely worth buying the whole book imo.
Anyway, we will see.
As for this issue, it was one of these were almost every story is interesting.
Arkham Academy one wasn’t really that good to me, but the rest was really strong.
The Hot Pursuit one was visual really really good.
The Murder club deserved a few more pages to have a proper Goodbye between bruce and his parents, but it still worked how it did.
And The Director was the final of a good Nightwing story…so 3 out of 4 is really good.
The Main cover is super cool, im always a fan of such covers that feature a lot of characters.

Lazarus Planet Alpha #1

A Solid start to this, better than I expected.
Especially the range of characters used in this, is impressive.
The Art is really really cool, I definitely loved that part for sure.
Very unique and had a good vibe.
Im not yet sure what to make of this, but I don’t know…I expected worse from this when it was announced.
But if the event is on the level of this issue, we have a good Event in our hands.
The Main Cover we know for a while and its fine.
The various Variant covers are cool too, but not really something I think is a must for this.

The Flash #790

Start of the One Minute War arc, so it needed mainly to build up the big boom that starts this arc fully.
And it definitely started out incredible well.
We get more of the Family dynamic and all, showing how Jeremy Adams really has a good understanding about the way the characters talk and behave.
We get the usual Preperations to let the story unfold, nothing to complain here.
It’s a great issue that builds suspense and then ends with a bang to start it all.
Definitly loved the issue and im far more excited for this than for Lazarus Planet for example.
This One Minute War could be a incredible story.
Cover is cool, but I prefer the Daniel Bayliss one.

Wonder Woman #795

Yara showing up is always cool, a Team up with Diana is a great idea.
The Art of the Issue is fantastic, really liked it.
The story itself takes up some speed and is not bad at all.
But im still missing the big bang you know.
We approach issue 800 and there seems to be little excitement for it.
WW deserves more spotlight for sure, it’s a bit sad that she is sitting on the backburner and is just there pretty much.
You get big things for Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Arrow…but Wonder Woman doesn’t seem to have something lined up for 2023.
That has to change.
But staying with the issue, Main cover is fine…but Jamal Campbells is absolute Fire…get this one.

A great week that is the starting point for 2 big Events and seemingly ending point of one really good Batman series.

Late to the party, but here's my small haul from the holidays. I had to put a coin on one of the covers due to the NSFW'ish art.

CzHflWU.jpg

This week was very Tom King heavy!

- Human Target #10. We're fast approaching the conclusion to one of King's better post-Strange Adventures offerings. This issue felt, as I will assume the next two issues will feel, like the comedown moment after waking up from an intense dream. We know the who of "Who tried to poison Lex Luthor?". We have somewhat of an understanding of the why. The twist in this issue isn't so much a shock than it is a concern: where do we go from here now that we know what we know? There have been some pretty intense moments in this book (last issue especially), and King lightens the mood a bit this issue with some good ol' fashion K'nort action. It starts off funny enough on Oa and then turns deadly serious in a bar. I have no idea how this is gonna end, but I'm sure it'll be nuts. Also, this needs a deluxe over-sized hardcover ala Omega Men and Mister Miracle.

- Gotham City: Year One #4 - We get a Slam Bradley with nothing really left to lose, and it is bleak despite some of the more obvious riffs on the typical noir story. I really dug the origin of Crime Alley, and how the one moment, perhaps inadvertently by Slam's own hand, changes the course of crime in Gotham City. Much as I love Phil Hester's artwork, I'm not necessarily sure he's the right fit here for this story though. Something a little more realistic looking and less Saturday Morning R-Rated Cartoon probably would have been better, but Hester still cuts a pretty mean mood with the pencils.

These two books, while pretty enjoyable, feel way more pastiche than progressive. I'm not sure if, after the reception of Strange Tales, Rorschach and Batman/Catwoman, King got into his head or what, but I miss the more cerebral Tom King who wasn't afraid to tread new ground with characters by diving into their humanity. We got a small piece of that greatness with the One Bad Day: Riddler one-shot, but his last few books feel like he's holding back. I'm not expecting something as emotionally devastating and beautiful like Mister Miracle all the time, but I think he's kind of over-exerting himself.

THAT SAID....

- Danger Street #2. This might be the return of the King i mentioned above. There's a 3-page sequence between High Father and Darkseid that practically begs King to write more New Gods material. His grasp on these characters is just so good and I'd love to see him play in that world more. Story-wise, he juxtaposition of gritty street murder mystery and high-concept fantasy story in a pretty surreal environment that never really feels like the DCU proper is an ingenious move. Using the First Issue Special characters, including the very obscure ones like Atlas, Green Team and the Outsiders, while using fringe DCU characters like Warlord and The Creeper, definitely helps. Having Jorge Fornes on the art is what seals the deal. Don't sleep on this book. I think Danger Street is going to be very special as it moves forward.

and lastly...

- Flash #791. Jeremy Adams had really just been serving some solid appetizers before the main course, hasn't he? This book hit on a level that I was always hoping it would go, but wasn't expecting. That's how you do a first issue! The set-up, by way of introducing the cast of characters in their world, and cutting across all of them as they react to the arrival of the Fraction was genius in its simplicity. Or maybe it isn't and I just haven't seen it as well executed in other comics. Either way, the stakes feel huge. Max Mercury and Bart are here! Jesse Chambers and Barry (who feels very welcome here) are here! Seeing the Flash Family of old back together again was something special. And what's great is how it didn't feel nostalgic. It just felt...right. That we're getting this book twice monthly can only be a good thing.

These two books, while pretty enjoyable, feel way more pastiche than progressive. I'm not sure if, after the reception of Strange Tales, Rorschach and Batman/Catwoman, King got into his head or what, but I miss the more cerebral Tom King who wasn't afraid to tread new ground with characters by diving into their humanity. We got a small piece of that greatness with the One Bad Day: Riddler one-shot, but his last few books feel like he's holding back. I'm not expecting something as emotionally devastating and beautiful like Mister Miracle all the time, but I think he's kind of over-exerting himself.
I think what we are seeing is Tom King spreading his wings and writing some different genres. Gotham Year One is definitely a noir mystery, whereas Human Target is a more an homage to old school Cary Grant/Hitchcock debonair adventure mysteries. They are much more straight forward than Mister Miracle, which is a cerebral classic. But I love both of these books thus far. In fact, Human Target just might end up on the Tom King Mt Rushmore alongside Superman: Up in the Sky, Mister Miracle, and Omega Men.
To me, Strange Adventures is maybe the only King work that I consider a failure. Batman/Catwoman is a bit of a mess and Rorschach leaned too heavily on trying to emulate Alan Moore (not as badly or as blatant as Geoff Johns’ attempt with Doomsday Clock.) But his newer work is just different than Mr Miracle. Nevertheless, Human Target especially maintains King’s trademark unorthodox narrative style, with quirks and twists and turns fully intact.

On the subject of Tom King attempting different genres, I’d recommend Love Everlasting. It’s a substack book that King is self publishing and it’s a romance comic, with a Tom King twist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"