The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

I didn’t think it was anywhere near as bad as most people did. But as a large crisis event, it was quite underwhelming. The Nightwing stuff was certainly the best parts, but the way they handled Deathstroke and the story as a whole was pretty weak.
Okay, thanks. Am I right in thinking...
it restores the multiverse to pre-Crisis levels?

It is kind of funny and telling when you consider how dead the comics forums are during Knight Terrors.

Bad idea by DC. But at least it gave me the time that I have needed to dive into Zdarsky’s Daredevil.

Just as it's ending :crybaby: How do you like it? Personally I've really enjoyed it, and the art, mostly by Checcheto, has been out of this world.
Would love to see Zdarsky write a DD and Spidey teamup mini, with Marco on art of course.

Just as it's ending :crybaby: How do you like it? Personally I've really enjoyed it, and the art, mostly by Checcheto, has been out of this world.
Would love to see Zdarsky write a DD and Spidey teamup mini, with Marco on art of course.
Absolutely amazing! I’ve read the first five volumes. Waiting on the rest from the library. His decision to have Elektra also be DD was a stroke of genius and really works. I’d say his run rivals Miller’s and is better than Waid’s and that’s a huge compliment coming from me. And yes, the art is absolutely gorgeous.

My favorite Iowa based hero(of course there is only one) Wild Dog returns in The Brave and The Bold #7.
Variant Wild Dog cover is by, I believe, Stephen Segovia.

BATMAN-THE-BRAVE-AND-THE-BOLD-7-D-Wild-Dog.webp

It is kind of funny and telling when you consider how dead the comics forums are during Knight Terrors.

Bad idea by DC. But at least it gave me the time that I have needed to dive into Zdarsky’s Daredevil.

I dont even see many talk about it on Twitter or so either.
The early buzz of this whole thing seems to be completely gone.

The positive really is that you can catch up on stuff.

Anybody here read Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths? If so, how was it?

It was Okayish.
The idea was better than what they did with it imo.
Not the worst Big Event, but far from being the best.

Absolutely amazing! I’ve read the first five volumes. Waiting on the rest from the library. His decision to have Elektra also be DD was a stroke of genius and really works. I’d say his run rivals Miller’s and is better than Waid’s and that’s a huge compliment coming from me. And yes, the art is absolutely gorgeous.
Oh yeah I agree, it's really good. Will you also be reading Devils Reign? I did not read the tie-ins for that event, but I will most likely pick up the upcoming omnibus which contains all that.

I cannot wait to read this!!! :woo:
Oh my goodness. I just read the first issue of Last Days of Lex Luthor and I am confident that it will rank as a top 10 all time Superman story. It may even make top 5. Superman is one character that you just have to embrace his goodness and lean into his altruism and compassion. And when you think that he might be getting saccharine, you lean even further and celebrate his goodness. Mark Waid understands this. And that’s why his work product, and this story in particular, is soooooo good!

Oh yeah I agree, it's really good. Will you also be reading Devils Reign? I did not read the tie-ins for that event, but I will most likely pick up the upcoming omnibus which contains all that.
They may be in the collection that im reading. I’m actually pretty certain that it is

I’ve been reading a digital copy that I checked out from my public library. But I’ve hit my limit of check outs for the month. So I’ll pick up again next month.

Oh my goodness. I just read the first issue of Last Days of Lex Luthor and I am confident that it will rank as a top 10 all time Superman story. It may even make top 5. Superman is one character that you just have to embrace his goodness and lean into his altruism and compassion. And when you think that he might be getting saccharine, you lean even further and celebrate his goodness. Mark Waid understands this. And that’s why his work product, and this story in particular, is soooooo good!
I just read the first issue as well, and agreed!! It’s off to a fantastic start.

Its been a pretty light few weeks so pardon my absence. These Knight Terrors books have left my DC pull, and comics pull in general, significantly reduced.

Last week, I bought Penguin #1. It's a strange idea to give the Penguin his own ongoing monthly book, and stranger still to have Tom King write it. If anyone can tap into Oswald Cobblepot and show how interesting he can be, it's certainly Mr. King. As it is, this issue was a solid set-up. Lots of narrative shifts reminiscent of some of King's early works where every page would be a new story chapter. Here, it's the POV of the people who situate themselves around Oswald, giving us a description of a man who, by all accounts, used to be the most feared and subversive of all of Batman's villains...but isn't. Until he is. I cant see this book lasting too long. If King has his way, it'll make 12 issues atleast. Keep an eye on this one. This might be the sleeper hit of this and next year.

Conan #2. Titan is knocking it out of the park here. Great writing, beautiful art that feels like John Buscema by way of Hal Foster, gorgeous colors and great paper stock. The presentation is just top-notch. Jim Zub is delivering the goods on his scripts. Got nothing to complain about here. Check it out. Its a nice aside from the spandex and capes.

Doomsday Special. Picked this up on a whim as I like Dan Watters and was pleasantly surprised by it. Great Eddy Barrows artwork. Supergirl and Martian Manhunter fight Doomsday in Hell and its as insane as that sounds and just as awesome. I guess this will tie into some plot threads in both Action and Superman. I'm interested to see how.

World's Finest #18. Not exactly thrilled with this story arc. The original story of how Batman and Superman met is one of my favorite comics of all time. That bonkers re-telling in that Superman/Batman annual from a while ago was also a lot of fun. This just felt wholly uninspired and lazy. I'm glad Waid is back at DC but this book is like a choppy ocean. Waves ride high and dip pretty low. We're at a dip right now, especially since the previous arc was pretty fun.

Immortal Thor #1. God damn. Al Ewing brought the goods with Immortal Hulk and shows here that there's so much more where that came from. This already feels bigger and better than his Hulk book. Ewing takes a much more literate approach here. This is a story of mythology, of tales past and tales to come. Everything feels grand versus the lurid, pulp horror of Immortal Hulk. I just hope Thor can do the same numbers Hulk did. Don't sleep on this one. I say that a lot, I know. But for real. Don't do that. Not for this book. This is the real deal. Hop on before you miss the chance.

Its been a pretty light few weeks so pardon my absence. These Knight Terrors books have left my DC pull, and comics pull in general, significantly reduced.

Last week, I bought Penguin #1. It's a strange idea to give the Penguin his own ongoing monthly book, and stranger still to have Tom King write it. If anyone can tap into Oswald Cobblepot and show how interesting he can be, it's certainly Mr. King. As it is, this issue was a solid set-up. Lots of narrative shifts reminiscent of some of King's early works where every page would be a new story chapter. Here, it's the POV of the people who situate themselves around Oswald, giving us a description of a man who, by all accounts, used to be the most feared and subversive of all of Batman's villains...but isn't. Until he is. I cant see this book lasting too long. If King has his way, it'll make 12 issues atleast. Keep an eye on this one. This might be the sleeper hit of this and next year.

Conan #2. Titan is knocking it out of the park here. Great writing, beautiful art that feels like John Buscema by way of Hal Foster, gorgeous colors and great paper stock. The presentation is just top-notch. Jim Zub is delivering the goods on his scripts. Got nothing to complain about here. Check it out. Its a nice aside from the spandex and capes.

Doomsday Special. Picked this up on a whim as I like Dan Watters and was pleasantly surprised by it. Great Eddy Barrows artwork. Supergirl and Martian Manhunter fight Doomsday in Hell and its as insane as that sounds and just as awesome. I guess this will tie into some plot threads in both Action and Superman. I'm interested to see how.

World's Finest #18. Not exactly thrilled with this story arc. The original story of how Batman and Superman met is one of my favorite comics of all time. That bonkers re-telling in that Superman/Batman annual from a while ago was also a lot of fun. This just felt wholly uninspired and lazy. I'm glad Waid is back at DC but this book is like a choppy ocean. Waves ride high and dip pretty low. We're at a dip right now, especially since the previous arc was pretty fun.

Immortal Thor #1. God damn. Al Ewing brought the goods with Immortal Hulk and shows here that there's so much more where that came from. This already feels bigger and better than his Hulk book. Ewing takes a much more literate approach here. This is a story of mythology, of tales past and tales to come. Everything feels grand versus the lurid, pulp horror of Immortal Hulk. I just hope Thor can do the same numbers Hulk did. Don't sleep on this one. I say that a lot, I know. But for real. Don't do that. Not for this book. This is the real deal. Hop on before you miss the chance.
As far as I’m concerned, Waid has earned the right to an occasion weak arc. I haven’t found one in World’s Finest yet, but still, he is the best that DC has to offer right now.

I just read Night of the Stalker from Detective Comics 439. As an enormous Strange Apparitions fan, I have no excuse for having never read this before. But it was absolutely amazing! Even though his run was extremely short, Steve Englehart just might be my favorite Batman writer of all time.

So, small comics week again as we come to the end of Knight Terror…but prepare already for new big events as it seems…*Sigh*

Last week on short notice I didn’t do a Post because I was really down.
Those of you who have seen the news in Wrestling have seen that Bray Wyatt died…one of my absolute favorites for many years.
So his death hit me rather hard and I was not in the mood to do much.
Also there wasn’t too much comic wise.

The Penguin #1 was, which was neat…but that’s about it.

This week we go back in, but still not fully.

Knight Terrors: Night's End #1

So that was the end of the Big Knight Terror arc?
Eh you know, the ending is kind of not the worst idea.
Like, this idea that people get scared of the Superheroes etc, not a bad idea to work with and all.
Can lead into a good story with Waller if done right.

I just don’t think that much thought goes into these Events and not much new will be done in them.
So I don’t think they will really push farther with the coming Event involving Waller and Doctor…Hate *Sigh*

The Event itself, had potential but like I said before…it stopped all of the current runs and I didn’t like it because I was more interested in those.
I wont remember anything about this event in 3-4 weeks outside of the really cool covers…so there is that.

An Okay event who is forgettable and came to the wrong time.
Not awful but also not something really strong.

Batman / Catwoman: The Gotham War - Battle Lines #1

Please Zdarsky, please don’t do what this Issue hints at with Batman.
That Gotham War is not shaping up to be something good if we go by this issue.
It makes Bruce so one dimensional again and is another regression of Bruces character just to tell the same kind of story about Bruce who is feeling he needs to do this all alone and that Batman is just a dude beating up people with fancy gadgets and does nothing for gotham outside of that.

I hate this idea and we are way past that.

Im very worried even though I do have some trust in Zdarsky.
We will see.

Either way im happy next week we get good old comic book week back.
This Knight Terror arc was way too long.

So, small comics week again as we come to the end of Knight Terror…but prepare already for new big events as it seems…*Sigh*

Last week on short notice I didn’t do a Post because I was really down.
Those of you who have seen the news in Wrestling have seen that Bray Wyatt died…one of my absolute favorites for many years.
So his death hit me rather hard and I was not in the mood to do much.
The Bray Wyatt death was a shocker. He’s a little past my wrestling viewing days (I was more into his dad, Mike “IRS” Rotunda). But I am aware of his impact and legacy. His passing is very sad. The four wrestling deaths that floored me were Kerry Von Erich, “Flyin” Brian Pillman, “Mr. Perfect” Curt Henning, and The Ultimate Warrior. Those were guys that I grew up watching and their early passings broke my heart. So I understand. Those guys are like superheroes when you are a kid.

I just don’t think that much thought goes into these Events and not much new will be done in them.
So I don’t think they will really push farther with the coming Event involving Waller and Doctor…Hate *Sigh*

I also wasn’t aware that there is another big event coming up. DC is making some bad decisions in this regard. The monthly ongoing shave been firing on all cylinders. Why slow those down with these events that no one is interested in?

Batman / Catwoman: The Gotham War - Battle Lines #1

Please Zdarsky, please don’t do what this Issue hints at with Batman.
That Gotham War is not shaping up to be something good if we go by this issue.
It makes Bruce so one dimensional again and is another regression of Bruces character just to tell the same kind of story about Bruce who is feeling he needs to do this all alone and that Batman is just a dude beating up people with fancy gadgets and does nothing for gotham outside of that.

I hate this idea and we are way past that.

Im very worried even though I do have some trust in Zdarsky.
We will see.

Zdarsky’s amazing treatment of Daredevil and Electra goes a long way for giving me hope that he can pull the storyline off. With him, things are often not as they seem, and he also is very good at character development. Zdarsky is one of the best modern writers out there in my book.

The Bray Wyatt death was a shocker. He’s a little past my wrestling viewing days (I was more into his dad, Mike “IRS” Rotunda). But I am aware of his impact and legacy. His passing is very sad. The four wrestling deaths that floored me were Kerry Von Erich, “Flyin” Brian Pillman, “Mr. Perfect” Curt Henning, and The Ultimate Warrior. Those were guys that I grew up watching and their early passings broke my heart. So I understand. Those guys are like superheroes when you are a kid.

Yeah, it really threw me off more than i ever thought.
I mean i knew Bray was one of the Wrestlers i could say is one of my favorites, but only after he died i realized how big of a fan i was.
Ive never really had favorites, liked many wrestlers and promotions...so i never considered myself a huge fan of many.
But i realized that Bray was one of these few.
One i always wanted to see get more success, wanted to see more what he does etc.
I always drifted more towards these "darker" characters, and he was constantly one who delivered on that.

So the realization how much of a fan i was, really hit hard when he died and all that.

I also wasn’t aware that there is another big event coming up. DC is making some bad decisions in this regard. The monthly ongoing shave been firing on all cylinders. Why slow those down with these events that no one is interested in?

Yeah, the Amanda Waller vs Justice League thing is been teased etc for a while...i think around early 2022 they teased it.
Even Knight Terrors ending feels like the event was done to build up to that.
This idea that the justice league is a danger and all that, has been brewing for a while now.

Yeah, not looking forward to another big event.
And i worry that they mess with the Superman comics in order to make that work.
Which would be so bad considering how positive and good these run currently.
Having them be forced to embrace the whole idea of this upcoming event...not a fan.

I dont even get why DC is so hellbent on these events.
I dont know the sales and all, but i havent heard of many who liked the recent bigger events.
So i really dont get what their mindset is on that.

Zdarsky’s amazing treatment of Daredevil and Electra goes a long way for giving me hope that he can pull the storyline off. With him, things are often not as they seem, and he also is very good at character development. Zdarsky is one of the best modern writers out there in my book.

Yeah, thats why im conflicted.
Zdarsky has proven himself, but so did King before he took over Batman...and that turned out really bad for me.
He started out well too before crashing.
So i worry.
Especially since the synopsis of the next Arc already goes "Isolated from his family and barely able to contain the Rage of Zur en Arrh".
And we know DC likes their Batman broody and alone...so i get easily scared on this.
But even so, i do enjoy it a ton how Bruce is struggling with Zur En Arrh in his head...the concept is so cool because of the fact that Zur En Arrh could be kind of seen as a young version of Bruce.
When it was violence that drove him etc.
And having a wiser Bruce kind of having to face his younger self...is a super neat idea imo to show his growth and the effect his family had on him and stuff.

Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps (graphic novel)

Loved the Saint Walker story. Some other fun stories in there. Overall, glad I got it. Just now getting to those side stories for Blackest Night.

Larfleeze #1-4

Definitely can tell it's a Keith Giffen comic haha. I absolutely loved the Larfleeze Christmas Special. This series is waaay more out there, kinda feels too much like a Lobo comic. Still enjoying it! Will start the Red Lanterns series once I am done with this.

Red Lanterns #0-5

I'm tracking down single issues through close by comic shops. Been a bit of a chore, and missing a few, but I'm having fun with the series so far. Definitely more violent/dark in contrast to Green Lantern, but I guess that's a given. I'm glad they found a way to give the Red Lanterns more intelligence as well, I'm not sure the series could have kept going on "pure rage" thoughts.

Also will start reading Green Lantern New Guardians after this.

Last edited:
Finally we return to “normal” Comics week.

Lot of stuff, good, bad and ugly…just how we want it.

And we start with the big one this week.

Batman #137

Lot of talk online about it, and the direction this talk goes…im not liking it.

Yes the Battle Lines comic was not the best and this issue has some questionable choices.
But to claim Chip Zdarsky is not one of the best Comic writers…is insane.

Like, you all know my Opinion about Tom Kings Batman…but I would never say the man is overrated or so.
He is a incredible writer that just didn’t hit my taste with his Batman.
Especially Twitter acting like Zdarsky is the worst writer of all time, is crazy and I will stand for that slander.

Having said that, the issue hasn’t eased my worries about the direction.

I get the Storywise idea, don’t get me wrong.
But I still hate it when the Batfamily turns on Bruce.

Selinas idea is dumb for sure.
The reason gotham fell apart was because petty criminals could run free to become worse.
Turning a blind eye on what is just small crime, training them...its bound to explode in the worst way possible.
I get why she thinks it works, afterall she is more criminal than anything and always will be.
She walks the fine line on a constant and doesn’t see petty crime like burglary etc as bad.
I would call Selina more a realist, but on this she is not realistic enough.
Because not every criminal just does crime out of need, for some its the thrill etc.
And these people will not be satisfied with just small crime...especially when you boost their confidence.

Sure, Batmans current mindset isn’t the healthiest.
He deals with Zur-En-Arrh and the anger etc, sees it as ultimate to stop crime no matter what and so on.
But its better than letting criminals do crime.
Selinas plan is absolute not working in the long term.
With a different headspace bruce would tackle this different, but that is not where he is right now.
Too much happened that left him lost and angry.

I do like the story because both aren’t completely wrong here.
Batman treating crime as absolute is ignoring why someone does what they do.
Some just don’t see another way than being criminal.
Selina giving these criminals an option, is not dumb…but it puts too much faith into criminals.
Because who Guarantees that they wont get worse? You cant.

Anyway…it sucks that we get this Batfamily vs Batman and especially since these things always feel super weird due to how you gotta have to write the power levels so messy.
Like, Cassandra really gets taken out by the Grapple Gun? Really?

I like the idea of Batman and Robin vs The World, Damian and Bruce alone…but we didnt need the Family to turn on them for it.
The cool thing on this and for which I praise Zdarsky is that it makes sense to have Damian clean on Bruces side.
Characterwise this fits.
Just like it fits with Jason being on the other.
Tim feels more like he just wants Bruce to stop and think, but doesn’t know how.
The rest is following Nightwing who tends to question Bruce on such things.

Art is great too…of course with Jimenez you cant go wrong.

And also, I love when they have some kind of Meeting with a few of the Super Villains, always cool to see them together.
Seeing Black Mask and Calendar Man was cool.

Since we are back with the normal comics week, we go back to the Covers.
Im not a fan of the regular one, It just doesn’t pop for me.
I prefer the Salvador Larroca one a lot more.
That one is cool.

The Issue wasn’t bad, the arc worries me but im also entertained.

Birds of Prey #1

Many weren’t on board when the roster was announced, but I have to say, the first issue was a lot of fun.
The Art was neat, the writing good…pacing fine, story so far shapes up good.
Surprisingly we get yet again a comic that weakens Cassandra…I don’t like this trend, but will allow it for here for the moment.

Yeah, good start, the team can work.
The writing managed to make them feel good together.

The Cover, I prefer the Regular one but there are many good out there.
The Nick Bradshaw one has something.

The Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing #10

The ride continues, and im glad.
This continues to be so wild and insane, I really really like it.

A few cool things in there like again seeing a few of the Super Villains do their thing, Black Mask or the cool idea of when Joker was reading a comic, we get the Backup story to read before finishing the issue…neat.

Yeah, the art is still cool, the writing…I like it.

The Regular cover is wild, I love it…but Francesco Mattinas is insane.

Poison Ivy #14

The Last few issues have lost me a bit and this does too.
I don’t want to blame it too much on itself, It could in this case be because of the break and Knight Terrors arc.
So I will see what the next issue does, but this here did very little to get me really excited.
Feels like it standing still a bit, but again I don’t want to blame it on itself here.
We will see where this goes, I definitely hope it finds the spark with me again because I really liked this run at the beginning.

As for the Covers, I really like the Regular one and im Dissapointed that DC here has seemingly hired Otto Schmidt for one…really not liking this.
Of all the things that came out of him, have him do a Poison Ivy cover is rather tactless.

Shazam #3

Waid, Mora…do we need to say more?
That is fun.
The writing, the art…they are such a good team.
Loving where this goes so far and im super into the storyline so far.
The Pacing I want to especially praise here…it all floats really well and I can not say enough how much that can give a comic.

Regular cover is fine, its fun and vibrant.
But you cant go wrong with any of them.

So we finally gone back to regular Comics week…I missed it a lot.
It was a fantastic week.
The Batman one has me left with many feelings, good and bad, constantly changing.
We will see where this goes.

The Joker comic continues to be the crazy thing I was hoping for.
Birds of Prey starts good.
Poison Ivy a bit of a problem I hope the spark comes back.
Shazam Waid and Mora goodness…fantastic.

My son and I were talking tonight and we both agreed that we share two very unpopular opinions.

We both believe that:
(1) Len Wein had the all-time best Swamp Thing run; and
(2) the old DC Comics Presents was better than Brave and the Bold.

My son and I were talking tonight and we both agreed that we share two very unpopular opinions.

We both believe that:
(1) Len Wein had the all-time best Swamp Thing run; and
(2) the old DC Comics Presents was better than Brave and the Bold.

1. I recently bought the Absolute Wein/Wrightson Swamp Thing and the material grabbed me a bit more than when I read it for the first time. Still, I rank it 2nd, behind Moore (obviously) and it's still the best run the character saw until Moore showed up.

2. I think I agree with this. DC Comics Presents, in my mind, had better covers and better art. #66 is one of my all time favorite comics. Len Wein & Joe Kubert. Superman and Etrigran take on Blackbriar Thorn. Pure greatness. And then there's #85. Alan Moore, Rick Veitch and Al Williamson. Superman and Swamp Thing. Can't go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"