The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

1. I recently bought the Absolute Wein/Wrightson Swamp Thing and the material grabbed me a bit more than when I read it for the first time. Still, I rank it 2nd, behind Moore (obviously) and it's still the best run the character saw until Moore showed up.

2. I think I agree with this. DC Comics Presents, in my mind, had better covers and better art. #66 is one of my all time favorite comics. Len Wein & Joe Kubert. Superman and Etrigran take on Blackbriar Thorn. Pure greatness. And then there's #85. Alan Moore, Rick Veitch and Al Williamson. Superman and Swamp Thing. Can't go wrong.
Going with Alan Moore on Swamp Thing definitely makes sense. My reasoning for giving Wein the edge is that I feel like there is a significant letdown to Moore’s run post-Anatomy Lesson, which is amazing. As a whole, I like Wein’s run a little better because it has the tone of an old Universal or Hammer monster film.

The best Swamp Thing runs seem to represent a category of horror films. Wein is the pulpy, brooding Lon Chaney/Bella Lugosi/Vincent Price horror films of old with creatures and castles and mad scientists.

Alan Moore is a bit more psychological and resembles the 1970’s horror films in tone like the Omen or the Donald Sutherland Invasion of the Body Snatchers. His stories are less pulpy and more cerebral. The action is a bit darker too and resembles more late Vincent Price or Christopher Lee horror films like Theater of Blood. It’s unsettling but not outright slasher.

Scott Snyder’s run was actually very good as well in my opinion. I’m always surprised how much I enjoy it. I actually like it better than his Batman run. But I consider it to be more body horror with a story. It’s more John Carpenter’s The Thing.

They may be in the collection that im reading. I’m actually pretty certain that it is

I’ve been reading a digital copy that I checked out from my public library. But I’ve hit my limit of check outs for the month. So I’ll pick up again next month.

I see. In case you weren't aware, the new Daredevil issue 1 came out this week. It was okay. I am interested in seeing where it might go.

Zdarsky’s amazing treatment of Daredevil and Electra goes a long way for giving me hope that he can pull the storyline off. With him, things are often not as they seem, and he also is very good at character development. Zdarsky is one of the best modern writers out there in my book.

Did you read The Knight? I got the hardcover a while back and really liked the story.
On the other hand, I just finished hardcover vol 2 of Zdarskys Batman (the multiverse arc), and I gotta say, it took me something like 3 weeks to finish it because I thought it was so boring!
Robins multiverse suit was cool, but that will probably never show up again.
Seeing the different Batmen was cool, and the shark repellent scene was great :D
Another thing I liked was the fact that Bruce lost his hand, and I hope they keep the prostethic one for a while.
I really hope the next arc is better.

Did you read The Knight? I got the hardcover a while back and really liked the story.
On the other hand, I just finished hardcover vol 2 of Zdarskys Batman (the multiverse arc), and I gotta say, it took me something like 3 weeks to finish it because I thought it was so boring!
Robins multiverse suit was cool, but that will probably never show up again.
Seeing the different Batmen was cool, and the shark repellent scene was great :D
Another thing I liked was the fact that Bruce lost his hand, and I hope they keep the prostethic one for a while.
I really hope the next arc is better.
I read the first few issues of The Knight and really enjoyed them, but I didn’t finish it. I need to read the rest of it on DC Ultra.

Vol. 2 of Zdarsky’s Batman run was definitely a step down from volume 1. But that’s mainly because the Failsafe arc was simply magnificent. I still liked vol 2 though. But I think that it demonstrates one of my only nitpicks about Zdarsky and that it that he doesn’t know how to end one arc before beginning the next. He didn’t bring the Failsafe arc to a close before starting the multiverse arc.

Oh my goodness!

so, I was just laying hardwood flooring in my son’s room and he has a copy of Rebirth Nightwing #1 signed by Tim Seeley hanging on his wall. (He also has a reprint of Joker’s Five Way Revenge autographed by Neal Adams, a Detective Comics 1000 variant cover autographed by Greg Capullo and a Batman #1 autographed by Tom King all on his wall, as well as Death in the Family autographed by Jim Starlin, Super Sons autographed by Peter Tomasi and a Justice League comic autographed by Scott Snyder all in his collection. The lucky dog.)

Anyway, as I was looking at Nightwing #1, I never noticed a giant owl looking directly at you! It’s hiding in plain sight!

upload_2023-9-14_21-12-38.jpeg

I asked my son about it and he said that he thought that it was supposed to be a bat, but that it was partially covered by the logo. So we looked it up without the logo, and sure enough, the whole right side of the cover is a member of the Court of Owls looking at you!

IMG_3475.jpeg

I looked it up online and I don’t see anyone ever commented on this. Was I just non-observant? Or did other not see this either?

Turns out they do watch you all the time. They watch my son in his bed apparently.

Fables creator has put the franchise into public domain after losing faith in DC leadership and constant struggle to get them to $$ up

Fables creator has put the franchise into public domain after losing faith in DC leadership and constant struggle to get them to $$ up

This sucks, he should get paid fair for his work.
I alway praise how good the current DC comics Runs are...but the leadership there is still awful.
They could do so much more, treat the people who create these stories etc better.
I love the DC brand but hate those who lead it.

Unfortunate that it has come to this for him.
The World he created, is absolutely great and he deserve to be paid for it.

Anyway, onto Comics week
Small comics week this time.

Batman and Robin #1

That was…kind of Average.
Like don’t get me wrong, it was fun and all…but it wasn’t the explosion I expected this to be.
A good build up to start, but I don’t know, expected bigger things.

A weird thing is also the Relationship between Bruce and Damian here.
After the recent events and all, them being here a bit “distant” towards each other seems weird.
But first issue, gotta get a feeling for the flow and all.

Art was good, character design nice…nothing to complain there.

Lets see where this goes, I have high hopes for it.

As for the Covers…Clay Manns my favorite but the Regular one rules too.

Green Lantern #3

That one was fun but its one of those things where Knight Terror arc has really hurt the pacing.
So I gotta go back to the first two issues for this to get back into the vibe and pacing.

But overall im still curious.
I like this idea that Hal doesn’t really know what to do with himself and so…I like that part because it opens a lot of possibilities where Hals character can go.
Art is neat, writing crisp and flows well…good stuff.

Cover…go with the regular one.
Not one is wrong here but I prefer the regular one.

So just two issues since Gargoyle of Gotham I think comes out on Batman day, so its not really part of my weekly schedule.
But I definitely want to check this out too.

Good week, fun week and I hope you all celebrate Batman Day big time.

Batman Day tomorrow. I might drop by my LCS to grab some Batman trades/hardcovers since they'll be on sale.

I see DC recently released a deluxe edition of Under the Red Hood. Might also get those trades of Zdarsky's current run since I stopped buying floppies and haven't kept up with comics these past 2-3 years.

Rafael Grampa has a new miniseries coming out. I'll look into it once the whole thing is out.

large-3608676.jpg

Small week, made smaller by my own blunder. Spent the last week and a half working in New York, so I was staying with my girlfriend. Made a trip to a local shop to pick up Danger Street #9. They sold out, so I bought The Devil's Cut from DSTLRY (a new publisher founded by the likes of Scott Snyder, Jock, Ram V and others) and Rafael Grampa's Batman: Gargoyle of Gotham.

Unfortunately, I forgot to bring them home with me and so they're sitting on her kitchen table. When I'll get around to reading them? ::shrugs::

Still, I wound up picking up Danger Street #9 at my go-to shop once I got home. Thought it was great. It's one giant sword fight between Manhunter and Codename: Assassin, but in true King fashion, it's not so much an action packed brawl than it is a verbal battle of philosophy full of whimsy. I really enjoy when King subverts expectation and makes a complete left turn from what you expect to happen. A very fun read.

Speaking of Tom King, my local comic shop had their big comic convention today that they do every year. Their guests included King and Scott Snyder! It was their biggest con yet and I'm glad I got to go. Went early to meet Tom King, stood in line maybe 15 minutes? Got my copies of Batman #12, Swamp Thing Winter Special, Kamandi Challenge #9, Darkseid War: Green Lantern, Batman/Elmer Fudd, and Strange Adventures #1 all signed. He drew an "Oh No Mr. Bill!" type of face on my Batman/Elmer Fudd book and I managed to get one of his "I'm Sorry!" sketches on the Strange Adventures blank cover I brought. It's Adam Strange fighting a monster.

He was very cool. Down to Earth, chill. He liked my Tomb of Dracula shirt and we talked about Gene Colan for a little bit. It was a very fun time!

Wonder Woman #1 is here and it kicked butt! So good.
This week was another small week so I'm just gonna put this out there.

Wonder Woman #1 was GREAT. It's so much stronger than King's first Batman script, which is certainly a testament to how far he's advanced as a writer. But the most spectacular thing about this book is the tone: it's serious. More serious than Pérez. More serious than Rucka (twice). This book goes for the throat in a way most corporate comics really don't, or atleast haven't in a very long time. I'm left wondering how King got this OK'd, and more so, how much pushback he'll get, both from the people at large, and from the DC/WB higher-ups as a consequence. Because damn, this book goes hard. It's a dizzying, bewildering, infuriating relfection of all the things that have become twisted as right wing "talking points" in the real world. It's a reflecton of so many horrors and atrocities we've seen over and over and over again. And the revelation at issue's end was pretty jaw dropping. Wonder Woman is seen very little, but remains a constant presence throughout. The first time we see her, in wide, walking along the Capital Reflecting Pool is just spine chilling. We know what's gonna happen when we see her in full. And when we do? Daniel Sempere delivers the freakin' goods. We've seen the cemetery-set preview pages. But that whole sequence, lettered and in it's proper context? I get big Steve Epting-Captain America vibes. The storytelling is as good as it gets.

It's a very politically charged book. It won't go down easy. Hold on to your butts.

Yeah. I have planned to wait for King’s Wonder Woman to hit Ultra, but I might have to go and purchase it instead. i may not be able to wait!

I’ve been reading through Len Wein’s Detective Comics run during the late 1970’s. It is a Bronze Age spectacular treasure. I’m enjoying it so much.

Which got me to thinking: when it comes to comics creators, who would you say have had the greatest impacts purely in terms of characters whom they introduced?

Obviously, Jack Kirby would have to take the top spot. I’d also think that Bill Finger has to be in the discussion of who is next. But when it comes to impact and volume, Len Wein probably has to be on the Mount Rushmore when you consider some of the characters that he has given us, from Swamp Thing to Wolverine and Storm. The dude created Mongul for goodness sake, who may be Superman’s best villain. He is responsible for Amanda Waller and Lucious Fox. He created one of the most underrated characters of all time in Christopher Chance (and other than Tom King’s mini, no one has even come close to approaching the amazing writing that he did with Human Target in his original Action Comics back-ups.)
The guy was a treasure and his death a few years back was a huge loss.

Which got me to thinking: when it comes to comics creators, who would you say have had the greatest impacts purely in terms of characters whom they introduced?
Gardner Fox, hands down.

The Sandman (Wesley Dodds)
The Flash (Jay Garrick)
Hawkman (Carter and Katar)
Hawkgirl (Shiera and Shayera)
Dr. Fate
Starman
The Atom (Ray Palmer)
Zatanna
Justice League
Justice Society
The Crime Syndicate of America
The Multiverse
Red Tornado
The Shade
Shadow Theif
Dr. Light
Amazo

Then there's pretty much every villain he introduced within the first 8 years of the Justice League title. The list of characters Fox created is immense. He doesn't come up in too many conversations when compared to Kane, Finger, Marston, Siegal and Shuster, but he damn well should.

I’ve been reading through Len Wein’s Detective Comics run during the late 1970’s. It is a Bronze Age spectacular treasure. I’m enjoying it so much.

Obviously, Jack Kirby would have to take the top spot. I’d also think that Bill Finger has to be in the discussion of who is next. But when it comes to impact and volume, Len Wein probably has to be on the Mount Rushmore when you consider some of the characters that he has given us, from Swamp Thing to Wolverine and Storm. The dude created Mongul for goodness sake, who may be Superman’s best villain. He is responsible for Amanda Waller and Lucious Fox. He created one of the most underrated characters of all time in Christopher Chance (and other than Tom King’s mini, no one has even come close to approaching the amazing writing that he did with Human Target in his original Action Comics back-ups.)
The guy was a treasure and his death a few years back was a huge loss.

Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Stan Lee, Jack Kirby

Jerry and Joe don't have quantity but like

They literally invented Superman. That alone puts them above everyone else, imo. Stan and Jack go without saying for obvious reasons.

Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Stan Lee, Jack Kirby

Jerry and Joe don't have quantity but like

They literally invented Superman. That alone puts them above everyone else, imo. Stan and Jack go without saying for obvious reasons.
Yeah.
There are many names that have great impact, but Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster have to be THE Names.
Because of their creation, Comics exist how they do.
The lives they touched with this character, the long lasting effect it had on our world and all...is so incredible important.
But that doesnt mean others didnt have a huge impact, just that these Two imo are so far above everyone else in terms of the Impact.

Anway, Comics Week

Before we come to it however, I wanna talk briefly about Gargoyles of Gotham.
It flew outside of my comics week timeline, but I think I can put it in this weeks timeline just fine.

Batman: Gargoyles of Gotham #1

Oh boy, that one already is a instant classic right here.
From top to bottom fantastic work.
The Art is pretty cool, I love the visuals.
The Writing is crisp and flows well.
Characters feel good and the Villain is interesting.
It also feels a bit more “old school” batman with Gordon and Alfred etc.
I love the Gothic vibe and I like how dark it all is visual and writing.

As for Covers, boy are they all awesome.
The Regular one rocks, but David Finchs is awesome, Priscilla Petraits is so cool, Jim Lee…Frank Millers fits the style very well.
So many awesome covers.

I so hope they can keep this level, because this was just so awesome.

On to comics week…and boy that was a fun week.

Batman / Superman: World's Finest #19

That one was such a nice Silver Age feeling comic.
From writing to art, felt very Silver Age.
A Nice and easy read, I liked it.

As for Covers…I like the Regular one.
The Nicholas Cage one is wild.
Im a bit sad there is none that fits more the visuals of what goes on in the comic, but a good cover is a good cover.

Catwoman #57

Yes you see it right, I picked up a Catwoman comic.
I did it because it is part of the Gotham War story, so I wanted to see where this goes.

Nah, not a fan and I don’t really see how Catwoman fans are happy with her direction.
She is becoming so one dimensional as character, it is super boring.
All the edges are gone because in the end they want her to be part of the Batfamily no matter what.
When its just not fitting to who she is.

I do like that Jason is on her side on this because it makes characterwise so much sense.
But I don’t like how almost childishly stubborn he feels in this arc and this issue.

I hope Zdarsky gave directions to this or his okay, because it goes against the very thing Zdarsky did in his Failsafe arc.
Here you got Bruce literally calling his Family his Soldiers again…after Zdarsky made a point that Bruce doesn’t see them as Soldiers anymore.
So I hope he greenlit that part, like this being Zur gaining strength over Bruce or so.

Other than that, yeah a lot of forced “Selina as part of the family” stuff.
I hate that I sound so negative about Selina because I do like her.
I like the Batcat Cat and mouse game, I like her being this character who walks the fine line.
Helping villains until things get too crazy where she then helps Batman etc.
I like her being this character with edges that stands on her side, neither good nor bad.

But DC managed to ruin that by taking all these edges etc away to force her into the Batfamily when she simply doesn’t fit into.
Because every time they try, it reduces her character to be little more than Bruces love interest and I hate that.

People are so hellbent against the sheer idea of Wonder Woman/Batman because they claim it reduces Diana to a sidekick…but accept the same for Selina.
Which I think is not okay.
Selina deserve to be her own character…and that simply doesn’t work when involving her with Bruce too much.

Anyway, we will see…this issue didn’t help imo elevate the arc, but I find myself being super curious about this arc, that is why im interested in the tie ins and all.
So that is definitely a good thing I would say.
Shows that Zdarsky created a plot that keeps one very invested.

Hawkgirl #3

That again was a nice Hawkgirl read.
Im loving the vibe and pacing.
I don’t like that the court of owls has been reduced to minor side Villain group.
Doesn’t sit right with me, no matter how cool people make it.
Still, a neat issue, I liked it.

Nightwing #106

Nice read but one of the comics that noticeable are hurt by the Knight Terror break.
Like, you get thrown into this but the momentum you normally take with you from one to the other issue, is gone because the Knight Terror arc stopped it all.
So it needs to be restarted again, which will take some time.
My biggest fear currently on this is that a few good solos could end up losing fans thanks to the Knight Terror arc that stopped everything in its tracks.

Again, not hating on the arc itself, but the timing and all was just absolutely awful.
But Im looking forward to this arc, this could be fun.

Covers, I prefer Dan Moras, the regular one is looking very strange to me.

Superman #6

Again a fun read and Gleb Melnikovs art is really something people should look out for.
Very soft and vibrant style.
Storywise im looking forward to this, can be really cool.
Has a good start.
Covers, I prefer them all, got no favorite on this one.

Then we come to the Big one…and I mean big one.

Wonder Woman #1

@CrimsonMist already said it well enough.

This is a book from Panel one you can see how much better King is suited for compared to his Batman stuff.
Absolutely great writing, stunning art, a very serious tone and great themes.
The way the book builds up to Diana finally showing up and all, Incredible.

The comic will rub a lot of people wrong, I can already see.
Especially the ComicsGate kind of people.
The funniest so far I saw was people crying that this is Anti America and Anti Men…which is really Hilarious when you think about who Wonder Woman is and all.

I like the start of this a ton and where this could go.
This one lived up to the hype and more.

As usual with such Big comics, there are many covers to choose…but I like the Regular one the most.

A very strong comics week for me.
Really blown away by Wonder Woman and it raises my hopes up high for this run.

Birds of Prey #1

Many weren’t on board when the roster was announced, but I have to say, the first issue was a lot of fun.
The Art was neat, the writing good…pacing fine, story so far shapes up good.
Surprisingly we get yet again a comic that weakens Cassandra…I don’t like this trend, but will allow it for here for the moment.

Yeah, good start, the team can work.
The writing managed to make them feel good together.
I picked this up this week as well, as I completely forgot it came out.

It's actually a load of fun. The character dynamics are great. Harley Quinn isn't insufferable. In fact, it amazes me that no one thought to put her on a Birds of Prey team at the start of DC's rehabilitation of the character. This makes so much sense. Barda is my favorite, and I hope she maintains the relationship she has with Cass for the duration of the series, because it has gold written all over it.

Leonardo Romero really makes the issue work though. I've liked his artwork since I discovered it in a Captain America book he did with Mark Waid a few years back. A nice, clean, style that falls between Darwyn Cooke and Javier Rodriguez. I'm not too familiar with Kelly Thompson's writing, but this is as good an intro as it gets. I know people were slagging this off because the team isn't the traditional one but sometimes you just need to go for the ride. While I do hope to see the likes of Lady Blackhawk down the line, I'm digging what we're getting here so far.

I'd highly recommend dropping any prejudices toward this book and checking it out.

Bought and read the first issue of Gargoyle of Gotham by Rafael Grampa.

81bvQHkjb2L._SL1500_.jpg

Unsurprisingly, and to our greatest pleasure, the visuals are stunning.
DC is apparently comfortable letting Grampa going into something quite cartoonish in places, which feels super fresh and welcomed on that licence.
At the same time, Gotham rarely seemed so desperate, with a nice gloomy ambiance established right from the first pages.
It's a very cool marriage of style and Grampa definitely shines in just about every aspect: character design, backgrounds, action, story-telling,... It's graphically flawless, really.

Batman-Gargoyle-of-Gotham-1-3-1.jpg
batman-gargoyle-of-gotham-2.jpg

When it comes to the story, I would be a little less dithyrambic.
It's not bad at all, quite the contrary, as we're in for good old classic Batman: a mystery, an interesting investigation, Alfred is there, Gordon too... So what's the "problem"?
Well, if that's all I'm usually waiting for when it comes to a Batman comics (and damn, I'd like a monthly series to return to this kind of simple and effective little story), within the context of a mini-series like this one, I was definitely expecting something more... unique? There's a little "twist" at the end of the chapter, but it's very in tune with what's done with the character nowaday, so it didn't really surprise me. And despite his ingenious design, I'm also not very intrigued by the new villain. For now...
... because I'm very aware that this is only a first issue and that things have time to developp. So it's all good, but I'd still have liked something more... "hooky".

Otherwise, this Batman is reminiscent of Miller's version, which doesn't bother me at all. There are some quite clichéd/hammy lines, some formulas that I suspect may be redundant even to casual readers, but no real deal-breakers here. It's, all in all, very easy to read, fluid and very well paced.

______​

So yeah, despite my little nitpick, I'm super eager to read what's come next!
Oh, and I'm also very happy (my wallet a little less...) that DC decided to release a black and white version simultaneously. It deserves it!

crop2_batman-gargoyle-of-gotham-61.jpg

Last edited:
I picked this up this week as well, as I completely forgot it came out.

It's actually a load of fun. The character dynamics are great. Harley Quinn isn't insufferable. In fact, it amazes me that no one thought to put her on a Birds of Prey team at the start of DC's rehabilitation of the character. This makes so much sense. Barda is my favorite, and I hope she maintains the relationship she has with Cass for the duration of the series, because it has gold written all over it.

Leonardo Romero really makes the issue work though. I've liked his artwork since I discovered it in a Captain America book he did with Mark Waid a few years back. A nice, clean, style that falls between Darwyn Cooke and Javier Rodriguez. I'm not too familiar with Kelly Thompson's writing, but this is as good an intro as it gets. I know people were slagging this off because the team isn't the traditional one but sometimes you just need to go for the ride. While I do hope to see the likes of Lady Blackhawk down the line, I'm digging what we're getting here so far.

I'd highly recommend dropping any prejudices toward this book and checking it out.
I’m looking forward to this hitting Ultra so I can check it out. I know that it isn’t the classic lineup, but I was surprised to have seen the hate that people were giving it when it was first announced. After all, Barda and Cassandra are two of my favorite DC character. They can be amazing in the hands of the right writers. And I have always felt that DC dropped the ball in not exploring the fallout of Barda’s sacrificial decisions in Darkseid War. That was a big moment that I don’t think anyone has ever followed up on aside from Tom King in Mister Miracle. So I welcome more Barda. And if the character is around more, then maybe we will see a return of Scott at some point and maybe even a Mister Miracle sequel.

I read Batman 309 by Len Wein recently and it was simply heartwarming. I loved the simplicity of the story. I also love how much Len Wein pays homage to old monster movies in his comics, with this one having Blockbuster basically take the role of a Frankenstein-esque character. And there is also something fun about the 1970’s Batman who comes through Gordon’s window to exchange gifts with him on Christmas eve, or who exchanges pleasantries with the cops at GCPD.

I just saw the Trailer DC did for Gargoyle of Gotham and i already want an Animated movie of this, in this style.
That looked so cool, i love the visuals of it so much.

Big Comics week to end the September.

Action Comics #1057

That was a really nice start to an arc.
Very intense built up and nicely paced.
The Art had a nice vibe and helped the issue a lot.
Great start to a new arc right there.

The Regular cover has a nice style and all, I like it the most.
But Jorge Jimenez one is cool too.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold #5

Oh man, this was really strong.
Im surprised at the quality considering its Tom King writing in the batman universe.
Like, so far nothing he wrote in terms of batman really hit well…but I guess this is more joker than anything, so I can see why that works better.

And its really cool how Mitch Gerads draws the Joker here.
In General the art is helping this story so much.
Very creepy Joker and this is why I like the character so much.

Sure a good writer can do anything with every character, but the joker is such a blank canvas always.
You have no limits with the joker, what you do with him…and that is so cool.
The rest of the Issue is absolutely boring to me imo.
The stories just don’t fit into this at all and I don’t get the purpose.
Its weird to have these stories in there, they feel so out of place after reading this Joker story.

I prefer Ben Olivers cover because in terms of the vibe it fits more the tone of the story.

The Regular cover is for a more typical batman vs joker story I feel.
Not this dark and creepy one.

Detective Comics #1074

Ram V is back with his Story…and boy is this still so strong.
Thankfully I read the last 3-4 issues again before picking this up, so I kept the vibe and all going.
That helped a lot.
And we are back with the usual strong writing, the fitting Art, a fantastic Issue as you expect by now from Ram Vs Detective Comics.
Such a great arc.

Go with the Regular Cover, these ones always deliver.
But you cant go wrong either way.

The Flash #1

A good start to this.
Its your usual Number 1 issue that often starts slow and where you need to get familiar with the style first.
But so far so good, felt entertained by it.
The art was good, the writing worked for me and the story so far is interesting.
Nothing groundbreaking, but a strong start to this run.

Regular Cover works for me just fine.

Green Arrow #4

We have 3 issues left and the story isn’t really moving forward.
That kind of sucks a bit.
Yeah the issue was neat don’t get me wrong, but moved forward barely.
And that sucks because it’s a limited series.
This needs to constantly fire out of all cylinders, we need a Green Arrow series going.
But issues like this don’t really help.
That would work if we already would have one, but with this pacing you kind of hurt the chances.

However, don’t get me wrong…it was a good issue.
Very strong written and good art.
Again the Knight Terror arc hurt the momentum quite a bit.

The Regular cover is fine.

Harley Quinn #32

Yeah I think I need a break from this series for a bit.
The Writing and the Art throw me off so much, it feels like a waste of money.
I don’t want to give up on the series but this is just not much fun currently.

The cover from Joshua Swaby is cool…I give it that.

The Penguin #2

I at first underestimated this one, the first issue I wasn’t sure what to think.
But this second issue was so strong, both in visuals as in writing.
Again Tom King with the W.

I have said it countless times, but its always insane to see how this incredible writer can write every possible character…except Batman himself.
Here he makes Oswald feel like one of the craziest and most dangerous Villain in the Batman universe…something I always wanted to see.
And it comes from Tom King, the man who wrote for me one of the worst batman runs ever.

Crazy thing.
But this or the Brave and the Bold are so crazy when King can focus on everyone other than Batman.
This one could be a sleeper hit.

The Regular cover is nice, but I also like Darick Robertsons.
Otto Schmidt has been hired too…yeah no, I don care for his talent…that man doesn’t deserve a job for DC.
There are thousands of better people to do covers for DC stuff.

A very strong week, which is always neat to see when DC ends a Month this strong.

And it comes from Tom King, the man who wrote for me one of the worst batman runs ever.
I am one of the loudest voices you will hear in criticism of the Snyder cult or the release the __(insert director of bad movie here)___ crowds. However, I would love to be able to see what Tom King’s intended Batman run would have looked like before Dan DiDio messed around with it. King never intended Alfred to die. He never intended Dick to get shot in the head. He never intended Thomas Wayne to be the main villain of his run. He never wanted Selina to leave Bruce at the alter. That was all DiDio, from what I understand.

And I wish that I could see what you see in Ram V’s Detective. i have always usually preferred Detective to the Batman title, but Ram V’s run has been a slog for me and I can’t wait for him to come off of it.

I am one of the loudest voices you will hear in criticism of the Snyder cult or the release the __(insert director of bad movie here)___ crowds. However, I would love to be able to see what Tom King’s intended Batman run would have looked like before Dan DiDio messed around with it. King never intended Alfred to die. He never intended Dick to get shot in the head. He never intended Thomas Wayne to be the main villain of his run. He never wanted Selina to leave Bruce at the alter. That was all DiDio, from what I understand.

And I wish that I could see what you see in Ram V’s Detective. i have always usually preferred Detective to the Batman title, but Ram V’s run has been a slog for me and I can’t wait for him to come off of it.
Its less the Decisions for me and more the overall writing of Kings Batman run im absolutely not vibing with.
Sure killing Alfred sucked big time and is one of THE dumbest decisions DC for some reason still dont want to fix.
Having Thomas Wayne be the main villain in the end isnt the best considering Bane was built up quite good.
But its not these things that bother me the most about his run.
Of course it sucks that he couldnt do it how he wanted, even if i find the idea of Selina and Bruce Marrying stupid etc...its never okay to hinder an artist and their vision.
I doubt having full freedom would have changed my opinion on the run, but i still would have preferred it if he would have been allowed to do that.

Its strange because you are not the first i saw who really cant get into Ram Vs Run, and it always surprises me.
I often get the feeling everyone is on board that the run is fantastic, but then i go online and see quite a lot of people not being into it.
Maybe its the more "mythical" approach that isnt working for many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"