The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

There is not a single writer I could say I’d want on a lifetime contract on Batman lol. I liked portions of Kings run a lot, but I think he was on the title too long. I liked maybe 1 or 2 volumes of Snyder’s run before I was over it. My favorite runs came from Morrison and Rucka/Brubaker, but even then, when they were done, I felt like it was time for new blood. Neal Adam’s/Denny O’Neal were good reads from what portions I have read of them but I also feel like they would’ve gotten a bit stale after a while. I’ve never read any of Ram V’s run but just based on those out-of-context excerpts above, I don’t think he’d be my cup o’tea at all.

I’ll just say I’m very glad the big characters have an ever-rotating roster of writers. There are Superman runs that I wish would’ve gone on longer, but Batman, not so much. Maybe it’s just my lesser interest in the character influencing that, idk.
Yeah I don't necessarily mean lifetime run writing mainline Batman or Tec. But just...keep him writing Batman on some level. Even if that's in his own elseworld stories and whatnot. I just want more from this guy, he writes Batman so well for me personally

36 Hellboy books (DRM-free) for less than 30 dollars:

It seems they are PDF and ePUB files and not CBZ. :dry: ePUB makes sense for the text books but the actual comics are PDF only. Hopefully the CBZ files are made available later.

The only scenario where I would like to see a lifetime contract would be Mark Waid and his World’s Finest comic. More Batman and Superman comics can sometimes be redundant so we don’t really need that comic on paper, but Waid writes the heck out of it. You can tell that he’s having a blast and the reader gets to join in on the fun. As a result, you have a comic that with any other writer, I probably wouldn’t waste money on it, but with him, it’s maybe my most highly anticipated pull each month.

Welcome to the first December Comics week, the start of the last comics month of a incredible strong year.

Batman #140

Oh man, ever since the Gotham War ended…it feels like Zdarsky is back to 100%
That one was a wild and awesome issue.
Batman fighting different versions of himself/Zur is really neat and I love how Zdarsky manages to give them all a unique voice that really feels like the ones from these particular universes.
A bit disappointed in the Joker fight, I expected really something more brutal to be honest.
This doesn’t felt as brutal and im not a huge fan that the joker is not really the main aspect of this.
He is more a tool.
A batman vs joker fight should always focus on them both.
But its fine since the overall story is still about Bruce and Zur, so using the joker of all people to give this new heights, works.
On that note…wow, the final panel is crazy.
This will be so incredible, I have high hopes on how this story continues.
Im curious what happened with the Joker, I hope we get something from Zdarsky on that.
Other than that…awesome issue for sure.

In terms of Covers, I like the regular one but the Francesco Mattina one is insanely good.

Batman / Santa Claus: Silent Knight #1

What a wild issue, I loved it.
But am I crazy? Did we ever get a story with this Santa Claus and batman or in general about this Santa Claus?
Im drawing a blank here completely and was thrown off by some of the stuff in the issue.
Either way, a fun Christmas themed story…nothing wrong with this.
I like it.
Covers are all neat, so pick whatever you want.

Birds of Prey #4

This continues to be a sleeper hit.
Sleeper hit because I don’t see many people talk about it.
But this is so much fun and with every new issue, the dynamic of the team feels better and better.
I especially love Bardas writing on this.
Really fun read and I can only keep apologizing for doubting this in the beginning.
It turned out to be so much fun.

As for the covers, all of them do just fine, got no favorite on this.

Shazam #6

I really don’t have many words on this because its been said already in the previous issues.
Just Waid and Mora having fun with Shazam…the best kind of Entertainment you can buy for Money.
So much fun to read…pick this up right now.

John Timms cover for me has something that I would put above the rest, but they all are good.
Cover work this year from DC and their Artists was top notch.
Like, open a Shop where you sell these covers as posters, I would pay a lot of money for that.

4 great comics that were fun…what more do you want from a comics week?
I had fun, read over each issue more than once…yeah, great week.

Birds of Prey #4

But this is so much fun and with every new issue, the dynamic of the team feels better and better.
Really fun read and I can only keep apologizing for doubting this in the beginning.

As for the covers, all of them do just fine, got no favorite on this.

I really enjoy BoP but my ONLY issue is how the Amazons have been portrayed as red shirts. Barda/Zealot/Canary/Cass...sure I can believe they can handle their own but Harley should be out of her league and without Barda/Z around them, Canary should have to use that Canary Cry as a last ditch effort for them to "survive" instead of them being able to take Amazons out like a common criminal.

I really enjoy BoP but my ONLY issue is how the Amazons have been portrayed as red shirts. Barda/Zealot/Canary/Cass...sure I can believe they can handle their own but Harley should be out of her league and without Barda/Z around them, Canary should have to use that Canary Cry as a last ditch effort for them to "survive" instead of them being able to take Amazons out like a common criminal.
I tend to give Harley a bit more leash because i just can not grasp her powers at all.
Like, does she still have enhanced strength or so? Immune to poison?
I tend to go with that so i let things slide, but DC doesnt do a really good job at giving a power level for Harley.
Its mostly Harley winning because she is fighting crazy.

Kings WW makes us believe the Amazons are such a threat...but goofy Harley can take them out?
Its something i try not to think a lot about...but you arent wrong.

The Canary Cry is also all over the place.
There was a time where it was Dinahs last trump card or so, but then DC also has her use it to get out of fights easy etc.

Birds of Prey #4

Gonna agree with you big time here. This issue launched this series into a must-buy for me. Thompson has such a great handle on all of the characters. I'm not nearly as emotionally invested in all the Anti-Harley hoopla that we see so her presence doesn't really bother me. But can we talk about Leonardo Romero? The guy did some cool Captain America stuff with Waid not too long ago, but he's stepped up his game big time. It's rare to see a mainstream superhero book that looks like this. His art is so classically dynamic. And that Barda/Diana fight? I need more of that. Now. That was just stupendous!

Detective Comics has also been great. I'm really loving this particular corner of the Bat-verse. The issues of late feel like the closest we'll ever get a to a Vertigo Batman title. All of the creative talent involved has been straight fire. It's the most unique book DC has on the stands right now.

Danger Street concluded this week. I really loved the ending. It's a nice, quiet riff on the happily-ever-after fairy tale ending. Monsters are slayed, Heroes are victorious, Sacrifices are made, Miracles are performed. Everyone's happy. This, along with The Human Target, are two of King's best. Now's the time to find out why!

Conan The Barbarian continues to be a must-read every month. Doug Braithwaite takes over art duties for this arc. I love his art, but it's jarring seeing his art after getting used to De La Torre's art. Regardless, the writing continues to be aces. And honestly? This has been the only book I've been buying multiple covers for. I bought the Liam Sharp virgin cover because it was so freakin' gorgeous. I might grab the B & C covers too lol.

My time with Action Comics concludes this month as we saw this week PKJ's departure from the main title. While his story concludes in an annual later this month, I'll not be starting the new year with this book on my pull list. DC's treatment of PKJ's stint on Action has felt impatient and hurried. Warworld, while phenomenal, needed another two issues I think. The Metallo arc landed with a rushed thud. And the Blue Earth plot, despite it's ties to a previous story, isn't quite landing. Add to that DC's need to give massive prominence to the main Superman title after the apparent failure of the Son of Jor-El book and then doing this Superman Superstars nonsense to Action, it's felt like DC just couldn't be bothered to anything except go out of it's way to not give Action this boost it needed.

If anyone loved Green Lantern: The Animated Series, there's a great surprise at the end of the latest issue (#6) I'm so glad they finally did it. Jeremy Adams has put together a solid 6 issues so far!

We approach the end of the year fast, only 2 comics weeks left after this.
But this one was full with good stuff.

Action Comics #1060

Yeah, its good.
The Arc is interesting, the art and writing is fine…nothing really to complain about.
I was surprised how well I thought Clark and Constantine worked together.
The Two characters fit well together, which I didn’t expect.
Constantine doesn’t feel like he would work next to Superman, but he did.
Other than that, not much to say…nothing groundbreaking or so.
Its good, im having fun.

Covers…I don’t really like the Regular one, the artstyle wasn’t working for me.
The other covers I prefer but I have no favorite.

Batman / Santa Claus: Silent Knight #2

Why is this working so well? Like, Santa and Krampus etc…the story here is really neatly written and it works with Batman and stuff.
It’s a super fun read and the Art is incredible strong…what is going on here?
I thought it would be awkward and not fit into this timeline…but it does.
Like, this is a lot of fun.
Really entertaining Christmas themed story here.

Main Cover for me here.

Batman and Robin #4

Strongest issue of this so far, very well done.
The pacing is a bit slow, but in general I like it.
Fun stuff here that has a lot of potential.
However, I keep thinking back to the Gotham War arc and the Bruce/Damian relationship feels a bit weird when considering that.
I don’t know where to put this timeline wise, so that’s something that keeps me a bit unsure.
The rest is fine.
Great art, fantastic writing.
The Main cover is a bit overloaded visual, but I still like it the most.

Batman: City of Madness #2

Wild, absolutely wild Issue of this…im loving this Comic a lot.
The Story and the art, the pacing.
It has such a great vibe, I don’t want to say horror…but there is something dark about this and I like it a lot.

The Main Cover is perfectly encapsulating that.

Batman: Gargoyle of Gotham #2

This could easily be THE best Comic Issue of this year, If I would keep track of such things.
Incredible piece of art and the writing, the story…so awesome.
The longer i stay in that world, the more do I love the Artstyle and vibe it creates.
Im loving it.

I cant decide which cover because they all are awesome.

Detective Comics #1079

The Expected Reveal issue of how Bruce didn’t really die.
It’s the usual Ram V goodness, but the reveal isn’t really spectacular.
I don’t know what I expected, but I know this didn’t blew me away.
A bit clunky but I does the job.
Lets see where this goes, im interested in.
Its more of what we got the previous issues.
Good art, writing, pacing, continuing a great Arc that is a lot of fun.
Im having fun still a lot.

Jason Shaw has a cool cover.
The Regular one is more fitting but I think I would go with Jason Shaws.

Green Lantern #6

More goodness too on that.
Fun issue that ended with a very interesting Cliffhanger that had me do a double take.
Not much else to add on this.
Im not too big into Green Lantern so im not sure if I missed here easter eggs or so on this.
My basic knowledge on the Green Lantern matter made this issue fun, but maybe as fan people see more in this.
Its fun, the art is great, the writing works etc.

The Main Cover is super neat, I like it.

Incredible fun comics week for me.

I've pretty much jumped off DC's main continuity stuff for now and stick to self-contained or older stories. But can someone please clear something up for me? There seem to be three Batgirls now; Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, and Barbara Gordon (who's also still operating as Oracle??), all using the name. How does that work? What happens if say Batman's in a battle, supported by 'the Batgirls', and he needs to shout out a command or warning to one of them. What does he shout? If he says 'Batgirl' there's no guarantee the right one will respond - or maybe they all will, which could also cause problems. I've seen the Batgirls described as similar to the Birds of Prey, but the BOP still had individual hero names. I know there are a lot of Green Lanterns, but they generally refer to each other by their real names anyway. But Batman can hardly call out 'Stephanie', 'Cassandra', or 'Barbara', for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
I've pretty much jumped off DC's main continuity stuff for now and stick to self-contained or older stories. But can someone please clear something up for me? There seem to be three Batgirls now; Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, and Barbara Gordon (who's also still operating as Oracle??), all using the name. How does that work? What happens if say Batman's is in a battle, supported by 'the Batgirls', and he needs to shout out a command or warning to one of them. What does he shout? If he says 'Batgirl' there's no guarantee the right one will respond - or maybe they all will, which could also cause problems. I've seen the Batgirls described as similar to the Birds of Prey, but the BOP still had individual hero names. I know there are a lot of Green Lanterns, but they generally refer to each other by their real names anyway. But Batman can hardly call out 'Stephanie', 'Cassandra', or 'Barbara', for obvious reasons.

They're never in the situation for that to happen. DC is in a phase right now where every mantle has to be shared. We have 2 Batmans, 2 Supermans, 3 Batgirls, 2 Robins, 2 Aquamans. Truly unoriginal and trying to have their cake and eat it to.

They're never in the situation for that to happen. DC is in a phase right now where every mantle has to be shared. We have 2 Batmans, 2 Supermans, 3 Batgirls, 2 Robins, 2 Aquamans. Truly unoriginal and trying to have their cake and eat it to.
Jeezus. I'm glad I opted out.

I've pretty much jumped off DC's main continuity stuff for now and stick to self-contained or older stories. But can someone please clear something up for me? There seem to be three Batgirls now; Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, and Barbara Gordon (who's also still operating as Oracle??), all using the name. How does that work? What happens if say Batman's in a battle, supported by 'the Batgirls', and he needs to shout out a command or warning to one of them. What does he shout? If he says 'Batgirl' there's no guarantee the right one will respond - or maybe they all will, which could also cause problems. I've seen the Batgirls described as similar to the Birds of Prey, but the BOP still had individual hero names. I know there are a lot of Green Lanterns, but they generally refer to each other by their real names anyway. But Batman can hardly call out 'Stephanie', 'Cassandra', or 'Barbara', for obvious reasons.
Have to look into it, but i think the closest we got so far on such a situation was in Batgirls, and there it isnt a big problem when you have two Batgirls then one can adress the other as Batgirl directly and it sounds a bit less weird.

Technicly we have just two batgirl, Barbara retired because the danger of the Chip or implant in her spine getting destroyed, got too much, so she decided to stay oracle.

Other than that, we didnt had many situations where several characters sharing the same name were in such situations.
You would think at least the Robins would have been in one, but i cant remember a situation where that ever happened.

Such situations mainly happen when Aliens, demons etc are around and not common people...and these Aliens or so dont really care for names.
But its a rather interesting question and it would be interesting to see how this would be dealt with.

Have to look into it, but i think the closest we got so far on such a situation was in Batgirls, and there it isnt a big problem when you have two Batgirls then one can adress the other as Batgirl directly and it sounds a bit less weird.

Technicly we have just two batgirl, Barbara retired because the danger of the Chip or implant in her spine getting destroyed, got too much, so she decided to stay oracle.

Other than that, we didnt had many situations where several characters sharing the same name were in such situations.
You would think at least the Robins would have been in one, but i cant remember a situation where that ever happened.

Such situations mainly happen when Aliens, demons etc are around and not common people...and these Aliens or so dont really care for names.
But its a rather interesting question and it would be interesting to see how this would be dealt with.
Okay, sounds like it's just left to convenient plotting then. At least there are 'only' two Batgirls now! :funny:

Okay, sounds like it's just left to convenient plotting then. At least there are 'only' two Batgirls now! :funny:
When is it not? XD
But im now very curious how they would deal with such a Situation to be honest.
I think they really only used 3 Batgirls at once, one time but i cant remember when.

The Batgirls comic worked surprisingly well i have to say, with having Cass and Steph as Batgirls.
But in general im drawing a blank on how often it really happened that several characters with the same name, shared a lot of time together.

Jeezus. I'm glad I opted out.
Actually I think the 3 Batgirls has been an amazing idea and it really was a shot in the arm For those characters. As to your point, thus far it hasn’t been an enormous issue in Bat Family stories because all three have such differing skill sets that they usually aren’t missioning together except in their own book. (Which was cancelled but was a ton of fun while it lasted.)

The 2 Batman things isn’t really a thing because Jace Fox never appears in the normal books and I don’t even think that he is ever even mentioned in mainstream continuity. The Jon Kent Superman thing is just a byproduct of BMB‘s horrible decision to age up Superboy. No one really knows what to do with the character now. But Clark is clearly still main Superman.

And Wally is the main Flash so all is right in the world.

DC is actually on a hot streak right now. Mark Waid is back and doing great work. Joshua Williamson is doing good things with Superman. PKJ was killing it with Action Comics. Tom Taylor‘s Nightwing was great. And I loved Jeremy Adams’ run on the Flash.

By the way, it’s good to see you on here. I haven’t seen you on this thread in a while and I miss your amazing insights.

By the way, it’s good to see you on here. I haven’t seen you on this thread in a while and I miss your amazing insights.
Aw, thanks BBG. I miss discussing things with you (and the other folk!). There's so much knowledge here - but I've not been invested in most of DC's recent output and tbh I don't think I could really add anything constructive. I'm still reading plenty but it's mainly older stuff, plus Vampirella, and Project Superpowers from Dynamite, as well as Hack/Slash from Image (Cassie Hack is my current comics crush!). And I'm still working my way through a rewatch of the entire DCAU. I will try to drop by more often - even if I haven't got a clue what you're all talking about! :funny:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, it’s the Christmas week for Comics.
Unfortunately no Batman solo for Christmas, but let us not be angry at that.

Batman / Santa Claus: Silent Knight #3

Again this is a far more entertaining comic than I expected.
Well drawn and a lot of fun writing wise.
Normally Christmas specials are a bit cheap, but this feels like a lot more got into it.
And it’s a ton of fun.

Covers…I like them all.

Batman / Superman: World's Finest #22

There is not much else to say that hasn’t been said.
The Art is incredible, I would pay good money for Mora to draw for Batman on a regular base…but that is almost wasting his talent.
The more characters he gets to draw, the better.
But these Batman character designs are insanely good.
And Mark Waid with the usual incredible strong in-character writing…absolutely fantastic issue of a incredible run.

On this I would go too with any of the covers, they are all good.

Hawkgirl #6

Didn’t had it on the Radar that it was the final issue.
Sad to see it end already, but it was fun.
Nothing much else to say really.
It was not a run that screams “im here” or so…it was fun…that’s about it.

Here too, all covers are fine.

Nightwing #109

Finally that arc is over.
It was a weird arc, felt out of place and I cant really say I liked it.
It was rather goofy.
Not necessary bad, just not my taste to be honest.
And we get a beast world tie in next time? Not too keen on that because I don’t care for the whole Event.

I like Dan Moras Cover, that one has something.

Superman #9

This one keeps me interested…and finally we get more from Marilyn Moonlight.
But I feel they don’t have much faith in the character, which I don’t get.
I love her character design a ton.
Sory is neat am im looking forward to how it goes.
Art was great…but im not a huge fan of the direction.
Again a “Superhero vanishes to a different earth/Time”? A trope used very often I noticed.
Still, im liking the Superman stuff currently all over the board.

And again, all the covers are neat, I have no favorite.

Wonder Woman #4

We have King with another strong issue on Wonder Woman.
Strong Emotional issue that also does a good job building tension.
Very good writing and Daniel Sampere draws a perfect Wonder Woman that captures the essence her so well.
I like the most probably that King writes Diana as this Calm when all around her there is a storm.
It makes Diana so much more Powerful and I love that so much.

Yeah, this one is not just crawling its way to the top of my list, it jumps in full sprint there.
Absolutely fantastic 4 issues so far and I cant wait for whats to come.

As for covers, the main one is strong but I love Julian Totino Tedescos so much.

So, that’s the comics week for Christmas…fun.
A good week, lots of nice stuff…nothing to complain about really.

So, happy Holidays, Merry Christmas…have a good time with your friends and/or Family, and we see each other in the next Comics week.

Here we are then, final comics week of the year 2023.
Feels like yesterday I did the first one.

It was a incredible year for Comics, I don’t think I ever bought this many Comic books.
DC firing on all Cylinders to me.
So many good books, so many great issues, covers, art, writing…an absolute good year.

Some days I wished I would keep track of things better so that I could do proper top ten lists and so on.
But then, in the year 2023 a lot of incredible stuff came out, so im not sure if I would ever finish top ten lists considering things change constantly for me.

So lets just say, the year was incredible and I look forward to 2024.

Onto the comics week for 2023 however.

Batman / Santa Claus: Silent Knight #4

Fun little 4 issue story for Christmas.
Nothing to complain there, fun read, nice art…works.
Regular cover is very neat, I like the way its framed and the color.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold #8

Again, the book was sold on the Joker story and keeps not giving people that…which is bad.
Sure I liked the “Back to year one” story a lot, and ends quite nicely…but still, it feels a bit like they hurt the book by not promoting it better as this Anthology story thing.
Because I like Anthology books and this has potential.

Overall the stories are fine, just not too interesting to me.
Art is neat and all…it’s an Anthology book.

What I really like is the regular cover on this…that one is super neat.

Detective Comics #1080

Leave it to Ram V to end the year on a super high note with his Detective comics run.
Fantastic Issue, incredible well done.
Art, writing, pacing, flow…all absolutely incredible.
It will be interesting to see where this leads and what Ram V has planned…im excited for this.
Currently the best Batman book out there for sure.

Main Cover is as usual awesome here.

The Flash #4

The usual good stuff on this one.
I like the vibe but especially the art on this.
The way the Panels are used and framed is just fun, it makes reading very fun.
The writing so far works too, so im really happy so far with the run.

On this I find all the covers kind of weird somehow.
Too busy or weirdly framed.
But I would probably go with the Regular cover.

Green Arrow #7

A good book that again feels like it has too many filler issues.
Like, not too much is happening here, which is just strange.
10 Issues and way too often it keeps a low profile.
The pacing is very slow.
It is a fun read no doubt, but I was hoping for a more explosive Pacing and all.
This way we wont get a full solo run because it doesn’t Wow people.
A good read, weirdly pacing.

The Main Cover is good enough, here we also don’t have anything beyond “good”.
Like, I don’t know…I was hoping for something that really sells people on Green Arrow.
So just a “good” is simply not enough imo.

The Penguin #5

Oh that was cool.
A issue almost full focusing on Black Spider…really cool.
In general the writing here is again super strong and I like how the issue is told and all.
Very nice way to change the pace and style of the storytelling.
People sleep on this way too much…it’s a very strong book so far.
5 absolutely good issues I enjoyed a lot.

Regular Cover is great.

And with that, we end this years comics week.
Again, a incredible year and a good week to end the year.

Lets all get together in 2024 to enjoy more Comics and Stories.

Detective Comics #1080

Leave it to Ram V to end the year on a super high note with his Detective comics run.
Fantastic Issue, incredible well done.
Art, writing, pacing, flow…all absolutely incredible.
It will be interesting to see where this leads and what Ram V has planned…im excited for this.
Currently the best Batman book out there for sure.

Main Cover is as usual awesome here
Too bad he's going to be leaving after #1089 next year.

Too bad he's going to be leaving after #1089 next year.

Unfortunately, but it gives someone else a chance to shine.
I do hope he sticks around with DC for a while, i really like his writing style a lot.

Anyway... Hello and Welcome to our Comics Year 2024.
Another year of hopefully good comics and fun times.

So lets get started with the very first Comics Week of 2024.

Batman #141

We start with the big one…another stunning issue of Chip Zdarskys Batman run.
Another issue that shows that Gotham War somehow held him back.
We are back with top notch work here.
Even though I have to say the story gets dragged out a bit too much without really moving.
Sure we have this time Bruce vs Zur …but in Failsafes body with the same hit and run tactic etc.
The story doesn’t really move forward in terms of character, more of the same pushing bruce.
Which is neat of course, but a faster pacing would be neat.
We end the issue on a weird way I have to say, that leads right into joker year one.
I don’t know how I should feel about the jokers involvement and especially like I said before, the whole “He knows bruce wayne is batman” thing.
But im curious what Zdarsky has planned.
We will see.

As for the covers, the Regular one is fitting, but im loving david finchs.
Really brutal batman vs joker cover.

Birds of Prey #5

This series continues to blow me away, its so much fun.
The team dynamic and all, is very very good.
Writing especially can deliver on a constant so far…very happy how this managed to turn peoples opinion largely around.
It’s a fun series and really great to read.

I really like the Regular Cover on this.

Shazam #7

Also a really fun issue, even thought the Black Adam vs Shazam fight felt a bit underwhelming.
I was expecting something bigger, but it felt rather tame.
Still, the writing was as expected fantastic, and even though Dan Mora wasn’t the artist, Goran Sudžuka did a fine job.
Great issue which could have gone more all out…but still works for me.

Regular cover for me, a good Black Adam vs Shazam Cover is always my favorite.
But the rest of the covers aren’t too bad.

Just 3 comics to start the year, but 3 fantastic comics at that.
Really fun week to begin the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"