The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The "I loved The Amazing Spider-Man 2" thread

Marvel actually had Spider-Man in mind while making their slate for phase 3. They announced their "plan b" in case the deal never went through, but when they "pushed back" their other films, that was just their plan A. As a Spider-Man fan, this should be something incredible. They pushed back their own movies for our web-head to be in the MCU. Not sure why this is something of concern?
I wanted to see the delayed projects sooner than having them delayed.
Anyway, we dragged this discussion on for too long out of a lounge, we should probably end it right here.

I know what people mean when they say that hey have fears about Spidey being in the MCU. I too prefer him as more of a loner.

But, at the end of the day, I have much more confidence in Marvel making a good Spiderman movie than I do Sony, especially a Sony with Tom ****ing Rothman involved.

So seeing Spidey in a few team ups is a small price to pay to get good movies again in my eyes.

His inclusion started rumors of his presence pushing back movies like Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

That's totally fair.

And I wanted to see full proof that a Marvel world can work without Spider-Man.

Well, the MCU did become the highest grossing movie franchise of all time without him ;)

I know what people mean when they say that hey have fears about Spidey being in the MCU. I too prefer him as more of a loner.

But, at the end of the day, I have much more confidence in Marvel making a good Spiderman movie than I do Sony, especially a Sony with Tom ****ing Rothman involved.

So seeing Spidey in a few team ups is a small price to pay to get good movies again in my eyes.

That's a nice way to look at it, to be honest.

Spider-Man was always meant to exist in a world full of superheroes. The MCU is his natural habitat. lol

Spider-Man was always meant to exist in a world full of superheroes. The MCU is his natural habitat. lol

Not necessarily. I'm super glad he's in the MCU, but you could make the argument that Jameson has a better reason to hate him and why the Sinister Six oppose only him, etc. in a world where he's the only superhero.

I'm excited and love him in the MCU, just playing devil's advocate.

But he was written into a world full of superheroes upon creation. The only reason he went 100% solo in his movies is because of film rights. Sony would have easily included other superheroes if they could.

Fun fact: wolverine was going to make a cameo in Spider-Man during the Unity Day Festival.

Not necessarily. I'm super glad he's in the MCU, but you could make the argument that Jameson has a better reason to hate him and why the Sinister Six oppose only him, etc. in a world where he's the only superhero.

I'm excited and love him in the MCU, just playing devil's advocate.

Yeah, you can make both arguments for the character. I've always liked and appreciated the idea of Spider-Man being in a world full of colorful characters but sticks to his own stuff the majority of the time -- where the only exceptions is when he's legitimately needed for whatever reason. That's also why I appreciate Daredevil.

I've always liked characters on the street more than I have characters that are global, I guess which is why it pains me with what Slott has been doing with him.

But he was written into a world full of superheroes upon creation. The only reason he went 100% solo in his movies is because of film rights. Sony would have easily included other superheroes if they could.

Yet a lot of his own stories are him by himself doing his own thing excluding the Marvel Annual/Marvel Team-Up stuff or tieing in other characters 'cause their sales weren't doing so hot. Funny how that works. :hmm

It isn't just the films, either. The two most popular Spider-Man cartoons have had him largely solo, with TAS having team-ups here-and-there and SSM having zero outside his own world. Had the show continued, there would've been characters popping up but that would've been fine -- as it was with TAS -- because we got to see him on his own for a bit. Sure you can apply this:

There would've been characters popping up but that would've been fine because we got to see him on his own for a bit.

to the 5 films we've had which is why it's fine for him to be teaming up at every given chance but it's just one I disagree with because we didn't even get to see how this new Spidey fairs on his own yet. That'll change -- for the most part -- with Homecoming but "Ehhhh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯".

Yeah, you can make both arguments for the character. I've always liked and appreciated the idea of Spider-Man being in a world full of colorful characters but sticks to his own stuff the majority of the time -- where the only exceptions is when he's legitimately needed for whatever reason. That's also why I appreciate Daredevil.

I enjoy Daredevil for the same reason. :up:

I've always liked characters on the street more than I have characters that are global, I guess which is why it pains me with what Slott has been doing with him.

Y'know, the worst part is--there are good global stories to be told with Spider-Man. It's not my favorite idea or anything, but they do exist somewhere. We just are NOT getting them in this volume of ASM. :csad:

Yet a lot of his own stories are him by himself doing his own thing excluding the Marvel Annual/Marvel Team-Up stuff or tieing in other characters 'cause their sales weren't doing so hot. Funny how that works. :hmm

It isn't just the films, either. The two most popular Spider-Man cartoons have had him largely solo, with TAS having team-ups here-and-there and SSM having zero outside his own world. Had the show continued, there would've been characters popping up but that would've been fine -- as it was with TAS -- because we got to see him on his own for a bit.

:woot: :applaud :up: :spidey:

I voted 8/10 in the 'Rating Poll, no Discussion' thread, I stick by it.
7/10 for quality
9/10 for joy rate.

So here I was sitting thinking of Max's transformation to villainy, you have an already insecure guy mostly off of everyone's radar when not disliked, had an accident that gave him powers that are hard to control, surrounded by cops, the one guy that was a safe line for him is cheered for to defeat the blue man (although he was trying to help) by crazy spectators unaware of the full picture of what's happening.....

Saturday morning cartoon villain. :hmm:

So here I was sitting thinking of Max's transformation to villainy, you have an already insecure guy mostly off of everyone's radar when not disliked, had an accident that gave him powers that are hard to control, surrounded by cops, the one guy that was a safe line for him is cheered for to defeat the blue man (although he was trying to help) by crazy spectators unaware of the full picture of what's happening.....

Saturday morning cartoon villain. :hmm:

Max's transformation was VERY well done imo. That whole scene you were talking about is also a good one from a directorial point of view. The background score ("He lied to me, he shot at me"), the acting, the "boom-boom-boom" sound when Spidey's face appears on the billboard, and Spidey's subtle body language changes all gave the sequence the tension that it needed. I mention the boom-boom-boom sound in particular because it gave the effect of actual gunshots purging Max's soul.

And no, he isn't a Saturday morning cartoon villain by any means according to me. I can even stand a lot of his corny dialogue because it really evokes the comic book feel that TASM 2 was trying to create.

Max's transformation was VERY well done imo. That whole scene you were talking about is also a good one from a directorial point of view. The background score ("He lied to me, he shot at me"), the acting, the "boom-boom-boom" sound when Spidey's face appears on the billboard, and Spidey's subtle body language changes all gave the sequence the tension that it needed. I mention the boom-boom-boom sound in particular because it gave the effect of actual gunshots purging Max's soul.

And no, he isn't a Saturday morning cartoon villain by any means according to me. I can even stand a lot of his corny dialogue because it really evokes the comic book feel that TASM 2 was trying to create.
The emoji is me wondering, because I see that last sentence in my post attached to this version of the character.

I'm not fond of the song, but I really like everything else in that scene. And your post deserves an :up:.

The emoji is me wondering, because I see that last sentence in my post attached to this version of the character.

I'm not fond of the song, but I really like everything else in that scene. And your post deserves an :up:.

Thanks lol I just needed an excuse to write why I like this movie so much.

This thread is a safe place to say the following as well (without all the reaction gifs that I will get in other threads): the many flaws in Homecoming made me appreciate the Webb duology even more.

I honestly think the way they adapted the famous parts of the Night Gwen Stacy Died very well.

Just re-watched both Amazing Spider-Man movies (after Homecoming and the Raimi trilogy) for the second time, and I honestly have to say I enjoyed them very much. I remember not liking Andrew Garfield very much as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, but after revisiting them I found him pretty likable. Definitely a very different interpretation of the character than in the Raimi trilogy and Homecoming (and I'm assuming the comics), but an interesting one still. I love how he has a room full of gadgets and whatnot that he built. I feel like this series grounded his origin a bit more and made it halfway believable, which is pretty amazing when you consider he's a guy with spider powers. Unfortunately because the movies grounded his origin so well, it actually took me out of the experience a little when wacky and outrageous characters like the Lizard and Electro show up. Because of that I sort of wish this series had used more realistic human villains instead of CGI creatures, like Vulture or even Doc-Ock.

I actually think the first Amazing Spider-man is a pretty good movie. Aside from my above-mentioned problem with the Lizard, I feel like it does a good job applying a darker and more realistic 'real-world' feel to the classic superhero, this is something very few movies can pull off (although a lot try) and I really give it props for that. I think it succeeds by not omitting humor and fun. The storyline is simple, but interesting; and the pacing is great. I do enjoy the villain for what he is, but I kind of wish he had slightly better motivation, or maybe a different master plan all together.

Amazing Spider-man 2 was better than I remember. There are a lot of chunks in the movie that I enjoy very much, every scene of him in his (vastly-improved) Spider-suit is great. Unfortunately there are also a lot of parts that kind of bore me, there are huge segments that feel like a Jason Borne, and it's easy to forget I'm watching Spider-man. I wish the subplot with Peter finding what happened to his father had been cut out or cut down; that really slows everything down, and the implication that he was the only one who could become Spider-man doesn't really sit well with me, I like his "everyday guy" aspect. Gwen's death was an absolutely heartbreaking scene, I think it's so effective because of the chemistry between her and Peter, dare I say it's probably some of the best romantic interaction I've seen on-screen. I do feel like the script (story-wise) is a bit typical Orci and Kurtzman, and I feel like it could have been streamlined with a couple more re-writes.

Overall I think it's a good series with some great aspects. As much as I like Homecoming and the MCU, there's a part of me that's sad that this series seems to have ended so prematurely, especially since it was clear they had ambition. I would have liked to have seen at least one more movie to make it a proper trilogy, and maybe even a couple spinoffs in this universe.

I really like this post. As to making this a different take than the comics version of Peter Parker, I actually find him more recognizable as the comic character, he's a smooth talker who can shy away sometimes, somewhat cynical with charm, has more confidence that is sometimes followed or accompanied by clumsiness.

My positive review of Amazing Spidey 2....https://superherocinemaweb.wordpress.com/2017/07/01/the-amazing-spider-man-2/

There were a lot of factors against this movie, but the main one was that the first Amazing Spider-Man felt repetitive and unnecessary, and Amazing 2 didn't do anything to address that - in fact it felt more like the colourful Raimi films than the first one. Even the title 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' seems redundant - we've already had The Amazing Spider-Man, we've already had Spider-Man 2. It just underlines the 'seen it all before' feeling that many had before even watching the film. If it was called Web of Spider-Man or even The Spectacular Spider-Man it would have been better.

^Once I reached "relateble hero" I knew I had to read more.

I'll add more love for this movie. Even to this day I'm baffled by the amount of hate it got.

It had fantastic chemistry between the cast, including Dane Dehann.

The hate for the "goofy" moments were unfair. Rhino was never a character that was serious, and Jamie's portrayal of Max was fun and served it's purpose.

The alteration in Peters origin actually made sense. Having his blood be an activation agent to his powers was a cool idea that felt less random and outdated.

The world they created actually would have been a great setting for the clone saga or Venom/Carnage arc. Stories that I don't think we'll ever see in the Homecoming-verse.

I think the movie is hard to get your had round the first time you watch it. It's got an odd structure and too many plot threads.

People complain about the laundry scene in this one "OH MY GOD. This is the scene from Spider-Man 2 repeated here, but it was light and funny there, here it's just TORTURE".

I enjoy both scenes for the way they are, one of them is about a guy living alone in his cheap apartment, and has to do his laundry on his own, but has to keep his costume a secret so he chose to wash it with the rest of his clothing, but his secret and budget restraints made him go through some grievance with the white clothes. Something similar was shown in Catch me if You Can with Carl Hanratty, a movie that happened 2 years before Spider-Man 2.

I love the extended stuff in TASM2, it's a kid living with his aunt, trying to keep his powers and identity a secret from her, and we see her response to the situation and why she doesn't want her boy to mess up clothes anymore.

Do you think there was an inconsistency in that the first movie implied Aunt May thought or knew Peter was Spider-Man and then in the sequel she didn't? Or did she not know in the first movie, just that he was doing something dangerous, or did she know in both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"