The Offical Final Fantasy Thread

Any FF fans out there?

Lets talk about previous games and the upcoming release. Post any relevant news.

PlayStation 4Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster dated for PS4
Published 1 hour ago. 52 comments.

Switch between original and remastered soundtracks on PS4.

FFXX2HD-Dated-PS4.jpg

Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster will launch for PlayStation 4 on May 12 in North America and May 14 in Japan, Square Enix announced.
The PlayStation 4 version will include system-exclusive features and a special pre-order bonus calendar featuring artwork by Yo****aka Amano (available at the Square Enix Store and at participating retailers).
Find the list of key features below, via Square Enix.

• Cross-Save Functionality – Players can transfer their save and continue their progress across the PlayStation 4 system, PlayStation 3 system, and the PlayStation Vita handheld entertainment system. (PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita versions sold separately.)
  • Ability to Switch Between Original and Remastered Soundtrack - Play Final Fantasy X with the beautifully remastered soundtrack or, new to the PlayStation 4 system version, switch back to the original classic tracks.
  • Remote play – Supported for the PlayStation Vita handheld entertainment system.
Over at the game’s official Japanese website, you can see how the game’s visuals have been upgraded from PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4.

OH FFS! I just got it on PS3!

Anybody think they'll ever go back to traditional ATB battle system, even if it's just for one game? Would anybody even want them to?

FFXIII was ATB.

Yeah, I know. I'm just wondering because XV and Type-0 are heading the action RPG route. I also think with the tech available to X1 and PS4 they could move away from ATB battle screens completely if they chose to.

I don't know if anyone else shares this opinion but I really dislike the weird in between action RPG styles like Dragon Age or FFXII where movement isn't quite an important mechanic but feels more aesthetic.

I prefer if it's completely ATB and stationary or like a hack and slash where motion is relevant and not just a mechanism to interact with the environment.

Well, Type-0 is actually an older game, it's the remaster of a PSP game.

Well, Type-0 is actually an older game, it's the remaster of a PSP game.

Exactly, I'm referring to the choices they're making. I'm not claiming anything concrete, just reading the choices in a certain way. I'm just wondering if they'll shy away from ATB-based games. I'm not sure ATB style games are that popular among the GA, I think more action oriented gameplay is more appealing and marketable.

Exactly, I'm referring to the choices they're making. I'm not claiming anything concrete, just reading the choices in a certain way. I'm just wondering if they'll shy away from ATB-based games. I'm not sure ATB style games are that popular among the GA, I think more action oriented gameplay is more appealing and marketable.

I mean, maybe, but as I said, Type-0 is actually an old game, so I'm not sure if it factors into what you're saying since that has nothing to do with "recent" developments. There's always been a variety of different battle systems in FF spin-offs from Tactics to Crystal Chronicles, and XV did actually start as a spin-off.

I guess even the mainline games have on occasion changed it up. FFX wasn't ATB, and I want to say there was another mainline that wasn't ATB, like FFV maybe?

Last edited:
I mean, maybe, but as I said, Type-0 is actually an old game, so I'm not sure if it factors into what you're saying since that has nothing to do with "recent" developments. There's always been a variety of different battle systems in FF spin-offs from Tactics to Crystal Chronicles, and XV did actually start as a spin-off.

I guess even the mainline games have on occasion changed it up. FFX wasn't ATB, and I want to say there was another mainline that wasn't ATB, like FFV maybe?

Yeah, good points. My view is just they chose Type-0 for a reason, and battle mechanics might be a part of it.

But you're right, the combat styles have been quite varied across different main entries and spinoffs. I wouldn't mind if FF adopted a battle system similar to KH if it's of the same quality, going full action RPG would be cool. I'm just not a huge fan of the middle of the road combinations like FFXII and other Dragon Age-esque entries.

Not sure how other people feel but KH1/2 have some of the best action RPG implementations I've ever played, I wouldn't mind an FF title that uses something very similar.

Well, there was only Type-0 and Crisis Core on the PSP as far as Final Fantasy goes. I'm sure Crisis Core will come out at some point.

Well, there was only Type-0 and Crisis Core on the PSP as far as Final Fantasy goes. I'm sure Crisis Core will come out at some point.

Oh yeah, Crisis Core is another example. Fantastic game, but not a fan of the combat taking almost zero skill.

I forgot how long it took until you get the airship in FFX. I mostly remembered flying around picking up those frigging Al Bhed books and trying to make runs to get the Aeons and Ultima dungeon.

That was a pretty good dungeon. A bunch of tricky things to fight in there. I did miss being able to physically fly places in X to be honest, it's always been one of the most enjoyable parts once you get the airship in an FF game.

SAKAGUCHI'S FINAL FANTASY
[YT]xuWkvyeAu0E[/YT]​

Having a blast with FFX. I forgot how much fun I had with the sphere grid, especially once Yuna gets her 1 MP stick and learns Holy.

it truly is one of the greatest RPG ever made. Defintely my favorite

I don't remember some of the things that are in it from when I played it last on PS2 but I heard this version is based on the International version with a bunch of new stuff as opposed to the cut down NA release. Is that true?

PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD character trailers: Machina, Rem, Cinque, Cater, and Trey
Published 21 hours ago. 42 comments.

The students of Class Zero introduced.

FFT0_03-05-15.jpg

Square Enix has released a new set of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD character trailers, highlighting Class Zero’s Machina, Rem, Cinque, Cater, and Trey.
The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One upgrade of the PSP RPG is due out in North America on March 17 and Europe on March 20.
Watch the trailers below.
Machina

[YT]0OABSi7rk6g[/YT]
Rem

[YT]qCJbcUGy9qc[/YT]
Cinque

[YT]YbLkwoHhnjw[/YT]

Cater

[YT]ORDCZ6xYr-E[/YT]
Trey

[YT]XEoNXEduvSM[/YT]

Read More

PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Clips, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, RPG, Square Enix, Trailers
Also

PlayStation 3, PSP, PS Vita
A look at the cancelled fan-made Final Fantasy VII open-world sequel for PSone
Published 1 day ago. 62 comments.

Day-night system, time-based world, and more was planned.

FF7-Sequel-Rodensoft-Story.jpg

Rodensoft, an independent developer based in Aomori, Japan making games and web projects for Japanese and English speaking markets, was working a fan-made sequel to PSone’s Final Fantasy VII… for PSone.
A purely personal project, the sequel started life as a modification, but has since turned into a proof-of-concept, existing only to “demonstrate how much power even the original Final Fantasy VII PSone engine has.” Development is not ongoing, as Rodensoft explains, “it’s a full time job and the scripting tools, while great, are quite restrictive compared to real coding.” The studio is now working on an original RPG based on the Unreal Engine.
Final Fantasy VII: Time Guardian took the original world of Final Fantasy VII and added a plethora of new features, including a day-and-night system, time-based world, resource mining, house ownership, repeatable quests, switching between characters and teams, and a faction/karma system.
The story began at the Temple of the Ancients, in which the Time Guardian sets a trap for Cait Sith, who was taking the Black Materia, and scrambles time so that events from the beta and Ultimania concepts of Final Fantasy VII take place. Each character would forget each other and start in locations across the world meaningful to them (for example, Yuffie near Kalm, Barret in Corel, etc.), eventually meeting each other in set circumstances.
We’ve detailed some of the planned features below:

• Day & Night System with Random Weather - Enemies at night can be far more dangerous.
  • Upgraded PHS - Check the time anywhere with a calendar system made up of months and years.
  • NPC Schedules - NPCs will do different things depending on the time of day, offering more dynamic gameplay.
  • “Change” System - Change the party leader at any time. If you’re bored with the current quest, you can freely change to another character within the PHS. Characters will remain where you last left them. If you switch between two characters in the same area, you’ll see the character you just left behind.
  • Time and the World - Shops and houses will open and close, and sounds and music will change, depending on the time of day. Time is calculated after battles and the world map.
  • Games - You can buy games like “G-Bike,” “Snowboard,” and “Torpedo Attack” for your PHS, which you can play to pass time in the game world.
  • Team System - Players will be able to form multiple parties, up to three teams of two or three characters. Your team members will follow you on the field.
  • Randomized Dungeons - Self-explanatory.
  • Open-World - An open-world spanning nine CDs, one for each character (this sounds like it was a bit ambitious, but the developer notes the PSone had support for up to nine unique CDs). The world features things like “well-used paths,” which are a “slightly safer” way to travel the overworld.
  • Field Skills - Extract resources and blow up doors (Barrett), pick locks and ninja jump (Yuffie), levitate (Vincent), etc.
A video of the concept was released yesterday, which we’ve embedded below. If you have any more questions about what was planned, the developer seems to be answering comments on YouTube, as well as in this Qhimm topic.

[YT]l1Y3snhd_bg[/YT]

Read More

PlayStation 3, PS Vita, PSP, Clips, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VII: Time Guardian, Gameplay, Rodensoft

• Zero Mod • 18 hours ago This is actually really cool. I would have loved to play it. Even some kind of alpha build. This reminds me of the debug room you could unlock and mess around in via gameshark. I spent so much time playing around with that.

Last edited:
I don't remember some of the things that are in it from when I played it last on PS2 but I heard this version is based on the International version with a bunch of new stuff as opposed to the cut down NA release. Is that true?

Yes, though the NA was less cut down and more a case of being the original edition with the International Edition being kind of a special edition that came out like a year later.

Ah, I see. I'm still pretty pumped to fight the Dark Aeons though. They should be fun (aka a ***** to fight).

Ah, I see. I'm still pretty pumped to fight the Dark Aeons though. They should be fun (aka a ***** to fight).

And then there's Penance as well. Did you max out sphere grids in any of your previous play throughs? The Dark Aeons offer a lot of excuses to grind ridiculous amounts of Sphere Levels :D

SAKAGUCHI'S FINAL FANTASY

:pal:

He was the director and producer of some of my favorite games of all time. I started out with FF1 when it came out on the NES. Quite different seeing him in this type of skit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"