The Offical Final Fantasy Thread

So good luck on my part today. The friend who was getting Type-0 decided he wanted to go blind into the game after all, and gave me the code. Apparently, he was going to get Type-0 anyway, so he decided not to take it back and wait to buy it cheaper, so my gain.

Industry
Square Enix president teases JRPG surprise for fiscal 2015
Published 6 hours ago. 68 comments.

Matsuda on Square Enix's resolution for the fiscal year.

SE-Matsuda-Tease_03-17-15.jpg

Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda teased a “considerable amount of high-end games” for the company’s fiscal 2015, including a Japanese RPG “surprise.”
“For fiscal 2015, I think we have a considerable amount of high-end games both inside and outside the country,” Matsuda told Nikkei Trendy. “Starting with Final Fantasy XV, we’ll be putting out news for Japanese RPGs.”
Matsuda continued, “I think we’ll have a little surprise, too,” before clarifying he’s referring to “a JRPG for home game machine(s).”
Square Enix’s personal resolution for fiscal year 2015, according to Matsuda, is “a box of surprises.” This apparently refers to how well the company can deliver in terms of releasing surprising and interesting works.
“With respect to HD titles for 2015, our Japanese and Western studios are both bolstering their lineups considerably, so it’d be wise to keep an eye on them,” Matsuda concluded.
Thanks, Games Talk.

Read More

Industry, Square Enix, Teasers, Unannounced Game, Yosuke Matsuda
Square Enix Will Reveal A JRPG Surprise For Consoles Later This Year. March 17, 2015 . 5:20am

Company president Yosuke Matsuda says to look out for surprises this year.

Besides major titles like Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III, we don’t know much about what else Square Enix has in store as far as major console games go. That said, according to company president Yosuke Matsuda, who recently spoke with Nikkei, they have quite a few surprises coming—with one being especially for JRPG fans.

Nikkei mention in the interview that it seems like this is the year that we’ll see more titles on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One from Square Enix.

“At the moment, we have major titles such as Dragon Quest Heroes and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD,” Matsuda replies. “In 2015, I believe we will offer a vast number of high-end games in both the domestic market and overseas. Now that we’ve already announced Final Fantasy XV, we will also reveal information on [another] JRPG. I believe we have a bit of a surprise in store for this year.”

The Square Enix CEO is then asked to share a little more on this so-called “surprise”.

“I can’t say much for now, but it’s a JRPG for consoles,” Matsuda tells Nikkei. “Also, our western studios have the latest Tomb Raider title with Rise of the Tomb Raider, Just Cause 3, and many other titles that I believe we can have high expectations of. For now, we’re preparing all kinds of things for E3.”

Nikkei asks if we’ll also see more in this year’s Tokyo Game Show.

“Of course, we’ll have plenty to show off at Tokyo Game Show,” he responds. “In addition, this year we’ll release titles for arcades and PC as well. We’re especially putting effort into PC online games, and we’re thinking about developments for consoles, too. In the midst of that, we’re also putting energy into games eSports-like games, smartphone games, and live-type multiplayer games.”

He continues, “When it comes to eSports, if there are the core [games] that pros get into for the prize money, then are also the more relaxed eSports out there. Our company’s European studio offers Nosgoth, which is currently managed as an open-beta, and it is highly reputed by the western players, so I believe we’d like to continue growing it into a more hardcore eSports title. Even the foreign pro teams out there have been noticing it.”

Matsuda also says that in Japan, PC will see Lord of Vermillion Arena and Gunslinger Stratos Reloaded, which originated in arcades. He hopes to see this continue and become something where spectators and players can get together and be excited over Japanese-style eSports; however, in the order to do so, he feels that they need to come up with something that matches the Japanese lifestyle to fit the Japanese players. So far, he feels that mobile devices might suit that style best.

Nikkei asks if by Japanese-style eSports Matsuda means something along the lines of the lively feeling you get from the arcade centers.

“Not only arcade games, but I do believe arcade games bring out that lively feeling as well,” says Matsuda. “However, rather than the conventional arcades, I believe that if we can dig deeper into what modern arcades are about, we can find a good affinity between that and eSports. There’s still a lot we need to do.”

Finally, Nikkei asks if he could share his ambitions for 2015.

Matsuda replies: “If I were to put it simply, it would be a ‘box of surprises’. I believe we’d like to go all out and offer as many things full of fun and surprises. And I’d like for us to maintain a development system that can continuously bring out this ‘box of surprises’. For the year 2015, as far as HD game titles go, our Japanese and western development studios will increase their lineup by a vast amount, so I’d like you all to keep an eye out for that.”

Read more stories about Square Enix on Siliconera.

And here are the reviews

Also with

gt_minimassive_finalfantasytype0hd_review.jpg

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

GT's Score 8.0
After a long wait, Class Zero finally flies into action outside of Japan.
Watch the Review | Read the Review
Posted: 03/17/2015 | Views: 32,171

source: Gematsu, Siliconera , GI & GT

Last edited:
From what I've read, and I don't know, but apparently something that a lot of reviewers have missed about Type-0 is that the majority of its story is not told through its cutscenes, but through dialogue you have in the academy. I've not played it, but this is a lot of what I've been reading.

so is anyone else still kidding themselves about the VII remake or have we all just given up

I hope everyone has given up on it so I can stop hearing about it.

I stopped caring for so long that when I finally got around to looking for it I was surprised they never did it since it was probably 3-4 years later.

It's just a silly obsession to me. Especially because when it does happen, it'll be on a handheld or mobile, and then everyone who'll want it will ***** and moan because it's not the AAA title they wanted. And then they'll play it anyway, and ***** and moan about some little detail that got changed that didn't matter anyway, like Cloud's character portrait looking down instead of facing the camera or taking out the cross dressing mission or some such crap. All of that for a game that isn't even all that great to begin with.

FFVII was great for its time but kind of bland by todays standards. Even with a remake it won't change that much.

yeah well most people mistake remakes for complete remasters (added new content plus better graphics )

That's the problem also it's about both wanting something ( when people are in that mode alot doesn't matter any more, but that & only that ) & it being the first game that they played back the in the day with their first PlayStation that they played it on.

Last edited:
yeah well most people mistake remakes for complete remasters (added new content plus better graphics )

I 100% sure all the FFVII screamers know exactly which one they want.

Honestly if they were going to use the resources to do up a previous title just do it for anything from FFI - FFVI. 3, 4 or 6 would be really cool with current gen technology.

FFVII was great for its time but kind of bland by todays standards. Even with a remake it won't change that much.

A lot of that is due to historical precedents that it set. It was the first game to do many things that are now common in the genre and certainly in the series. So in hindsight it seems very cliche when at the time it was something groundbreaking for a lot of people, inventing those cliches. Unfortunately most attempts to capitalize on it since then (especially Advent Children) have been hollow, copying the so-called edginess of it while ignoring everything else. VII is a varied, at times goofy experience and its nuance and heart have largely been lost with the imitators.

As far as the remake goes I've gotten to the point now where I don't really care much anymore. I'd certainly play it if it ever happened but I'm not clamoring for it. I don't trust Square much anymore to be honest.

A lot of that is due to historical precedents that it set. It was the first game to do many things that are now common in the genre and certainly in the series.
He knows, I said the same thing & I wasn't the first he saw say that ether. It was a lot of people first with the PlayStation they first bought it on. no matter how you say it "It amounts to the same deal" Certain people are still overly obsessed with that game , when it came out for them. Like those people that want to bring back 80's music or any thing similar from the same decade even the really messed up stuff from then too . it wasn't as overly great as they like to remember. But man people really get hang up on stuff.

I get it was a fun game from child hood or close to it. everyone won't see it that way. it's still a game,

A good one. But when it become obsession..... That's what the others are saying.

Someone at square will do it, eventually most likely when their out of idea's, I guess or in a serious rut .

Last edited:
A lot of that is due to historical precedents that it set. It was the first game to do many things that are now common in the genre and certainly in the series. So in hindsight it seems very cliche when at the time it was something groundbreaking for a lot of people, inventing those cliches. Unfortunately most attempts to capitalize on it since then (especially Advent Children) have been hollow, copying the so-called edginess of it while ignoring everything else. VII is a varied, at times goofy experience and its nuance and heart have largely been lost with the imitators.

As far as the remake goes I've gotten to the point now where I don't really care much anymore. I'd certainly play it if it ever happened but I'm not clamoring for it. I don't trust Square much anymore to be honest.

Have you ever played any of the FFs before VII? Specially I'm thinking of IV & VI. Because really, FFVII didn't create or innovate most of what you seem to think, though I could understand how one unfamiliar with previous games might see FFVII that way. And I guess that was a decent amount of people.

Have you ever played any of the FFs before VII? Specially I'm thinking of IV & VI. Because really, FFVII didn't create or innovate most of what you seem to think, though I could understand how one unfamiliar with previous games might see FFVII that way. And I guess that was a decent amount of people.

I've played III and VI. VI in particular did a lot of things VII is famous for first, including leaning more into sci-fi, going darker with the story and villains, and killing off party members ([BLACKOUT]Ninja[/BLACKOUT]). But I still stand by what I said for VII taking those things and going further with them. It was the first in the series to have guns and a technological presence in the world that took it much farther away from the traditional fantasy that the series had been up to that point. Which itself is wrapped up with the whole spiky-haired protagonist with a giant sword aesthetic that, while lifting from earlier influences like Crono and others, nevertheless became the defacto JRPG hero afterwards. And I do think the storytelling was a step forward as well, with the aforementioned character death having more weight on the rest of the narrative along with other things like having an unreliable protagonist a very ambiguous ending. It's evolution rather than innovation but I think it was and is still a big deal.

Damn I saw that summons from the demo and holy crap does it look awesome! There is always a part of me that misses the turn based days but I love FF so I will def be picking it up for my ps4

So has anyone actually played Type 0 and can offer opinions?

Anyone like mobile games?

it appears you were swallowed up by other posts. Sorry about that. Not many play the mobile(if you mean cell phone by that) version of FF here .

I do on rare occasion post about them like the G Bike Game which will feature cloud but don't expect much out of that on others playing that here unless it's a really good game but even still.....

Now if you mean the like the partables such as the 3D's , vita or psp I'm sure there some that may have touched those.

That said these were put up over the night.

Final Fantasy XI To End Service For PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 In March 2016. March 19, 2015 . 12:20am

Square Enix will continue working on the major update until November. However, service for PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 versions of the game will end in March 2016. Meanwhile, the Windows version will continue to run.

As part of Final Fantasy XI’s 13th anniversary this year, Square Enix announced their latest plans they have for the future of the MMORPG during a press conference in Japan.

During the stream, they announced that the game’s final chapter scenario will be made available on the upcoming major update, and it will be considered the “ultimate” scenario. The complete scenario will play out in three parts that will arrive in major updates in May, August, and November.

While the main story will come to an end, Square Enix says that service will continue.

As for now, Square Enix will continue working on the major update until November. However, service for PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 versions of the game will end in March 2016. Meanwhile, the Windows version will continue to run.

Square Enix’s press conference is ongoing, and we’ll have more details as they become available.

Read more stories about Final Fantasy XI & PC & PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360 on Siliconera.

Last edited:

Final Fantasy XI Gets A Smartphone Spinoff: Final Fantasy Grandmasters. March 19, 2015 . 12:39am

Like Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy Grandmasters will allow players to explore the world of Vana’diel with friends.

During Square Enix’s media briefing for Final Fantasy XI, they announced a new smartphone title called Final Fantasy Grandmasters, a spinoff title of Final Fantasy XI.

The concept behind the Vana’diel Project’s new title, Final Fantasy Grandmasters, is to allow fans of the series further explore the world of Vana’diel with friends, in a lighthearted and mobile fashion.

Mobile developers Crooz are working on the game, and it will feature jobs, places, and various other content from Final Fantasy XI’s world of Vana’diel.

The game is being developed as an online RPG that will allow you to play with friends.
20150319_013015_thumb.png

It will have various fields like Final Fantasy XI, and while it may not be as vast as the fields you’ve seen in XI, you’ll get to chat and use emotes to communicate with others. While cooperating is one of the themes, you’ll be able to play solo as well.

The battles feature various monsters seen from Final Fantasy XI, and there will also be all kinds of abilities from the MMORPG title.

There will be all kinds of equipment to gather and collect, with parts for your head, body, arms, and legs.

The main visual is a little hint for what’s to come, as you can see an airship-like object behind the characters. While they didn’t want to spoil things too much, Crooz says that players will get to fly around Vana’diel.

Final Fantasy Grandmasters is in development for iOS and Android devices. The game will be free-to-play with cash shop purchases. A beta test will launch in Japan next month.

Read more stories about Android & Final Fantasy Grandmasters & iPhone on Siliconera.

Final Fantasy XI Is Headed To Smartphones, Courtesy Of Nexon. March 19, 2015 . 1:03am

Final Fantasy XI on smartphones will feature a battle system optimized for smart devices and will launch in Japan and South Korea first.

In addition to the new spinoff title for Final Fantasy XI that was announced during Square Enix’s media briefing for the MMORPG title, they also announced a new native client for smartphones, in partnership with Nexon.

Since playing a full MMORPG on smartphone devices might sound like a tough prospect, the new app will make it easier to play on the go, with an enhanced battle system that is speedier than before. This battle system will still have Job Commands, Skillchains, and other basic features from the game.

The mobile version of the game will have a handy cooperative system, that will make putting a party together easier on smartphones. The job system will still play a crucial role in the gameplay, and will feel different this time around with new touchscreen-based controls.

There will also be Linkshells and a guild system, which will be there to further enhance the community. The game will feature new “dynamic events” as well.

While the mobile version of Final Fantasy XI will be a lot like the original title, it will be easier for players to play solo, along with various other systems to make the overall gameplay easier.

Square Enix developed the native mobile client as their first step of what they call the “era of MMMRPG (Massively Multiplayer Mobile RPG).”

Details on the app are still fairly light at the moment. Square Enix have not specified whether this version of the game will feature the same content as Final Fantasy XI on PC and console, or whether it will connect to the Final Fantasy XI servers in any way. What Square and Nexon have said is that it will first start out in Japan and South Korea. Pricing has yet to be announced, but will be revealed in the near future.

Meanwhile, Final Fantasy XI on consoles is scheduled to shut down next year, while the PC version of the game will continue operations.

Read more stories about Android & Final Fantasy XI & iPhone on Siliconera.

source: Siliconera

PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Square Enix shares “Final Fantasy Type-Next” artwork

Published 41 mins ago. 6 comments.

Final-Fantasy-Type-Next_03-20_Init_014-600x338.jpg

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD director Hajime Tabata revealed artwork for what appears to be the next entry in the Type series during a Hong Kong launch event today.
Tabata began production on this sequel after development on Final Fantasy Type-0 ended. But now that he’s in charge of Final Fantasy XV, production has been stopped. A special movie teasing a sequel was included with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, and while Tabata and his team want to move forward on production, nothing is confirmed as of yet.
Get the artwork below.

If you didn’t catch the special movie, watch that below.
[YT]gHwd2oqxYV8[/YT]
Thanks, Games Talk.

Read More

PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Artwork, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, Final Fantasy Type-Next, RPG, Square Enix
source: Gematsu

way more images with the article it's self

Last edited:

Arcade
Dissidia Final Fantasy Closed Conference 2015 set for April 10

Published 13 hours ago. 3 comments.

More details on the arcade fighter just weeks away.

Dissidia-FF-CC15-Ann.jpg

Square Enix will hold its Dissidia Final Fantasy Closed Conference 2015, first teased during the arcade game’s initial announcement, on April 10 at The Garden Hall in Ebisu’s The Garden Place.
During the first part of the event, Square Enix will unveil the arcade cabinet and screen the game’s latest trailer. During the second part, the company will share more details via a fan talk session and give consumers their first demonstration.
The company is inviting 150 people to attend. 50 people will be selected as “premium invites” to attend both parts of the event, while 100 will be selected to attend only the second part. You can register your interest here.

Read More

Arcade, Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade, Fighting Games, Square Enix
source: Gematsu

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Didn’t Do So Well In Japan. March 30, 2015 . 5:31pm

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD sold through just 59.59% of its shipment.

On March 19th, Square Enix released Final Fantasy Type-0 HD in Japan. As reported last week, the game sold 92,094 copies on the PlayStation.

In their weekly supplementary report, Japanese sales tracker Media Create mentions that both versions of the game together—PS4 and Xbox One—sold around 93,000 copies, so the Xbox version only moved around 1,000 units.

That having been said, Type-0 HD performed rather poorly in general. 93,000 copies isn’t a figure worth writing home about, and Media Create says that the game sold through just 59.59% of its shipment, despite numerous promotions and the inclusion of the Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae demo.

In comparison, the original PSP version of the game—released in 2011—sold 472,253 copies at launch. It sold through 79.08% of its shipment at launch.

Read more stories about Final Fantasy Type-0 HD & PlayStation 4 & This Week In Sales & Xbox One on Siliconera.

source:Siliconera

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"