• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Offical Final Fantasy Thread

Doesn't surprise me. Even with a FFXV demo, it's still a 1) a console game, 2) a HD remaster of a PSP game from 4 years ago and 3) full price.

Two of the most beloved FINAL FANTASY® titles will be returning soon with today’s announcement by SQUARE ENIX® that it will be releasing FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster for the Playstation®4 computer entertainment system on May 12, 2015. This new North American version will include system-exclusive features and a special pre-order bonus item: an exclusive calendar featuring artwork by the acclaimed artist, Yo****aka Amano, available at participating retailers and the Square Enix Online Store.

FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster brings together FINAL FANTASY X and FINAL FANTASY X-2, along with FINAL FANTASY X: Eternal Calm and FINAL FANTASY X-2: LAST MISSION, each originally exclusive to the Japanese market.

Key Features

Cross-Save Functionality – Players can transfer their save and continue their progress across the PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system, and the PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system. (PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita versions sold separately.)
Ability to Switch Between Original and Remastered Soundtrack - Play FINAL FANTASY X with the beautifully remastered soundtrack or, new to the PlayStation®4 system version, switch back to the original classic tracks.
Remote play – Supported for the Playstation®Vita handheld entertainment system.

T58sxvp.jpg

Final Fantasy’s Cinematic Mastermind On Making Advent Children And FFXV’s Cutscene Balance. April 3, 2015 . 5:30pm

Visual Works director Kazuyuki Ikumori talked to Siliconera about evolving CG movie technology, making Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, and the balance between action and CG cutscenes in Final Fantasy XV.

Siliconera
met with Kazuyuki Ikumori, the director of Visual Works. Visual Works is a fully owned subsidiary of Square Enix that specializes in making computer graphic movies for the Final Fantasy series and now Eidos titles including Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Hitman. In this interview, Ikumori talks about evolving CG movie technology, making Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, and the balance between action and CG cutscenes in Final Fantasy XV.

A long time ago you worked on Romancing SaGa. How was developing event scenes different in the 16-bit days compared to being the director at Visual Works where you have realistic characters and detailed worlds made with 3D models?

Kazuyuki Ikumori, Director: [Laughs] Thank you for playing that game, I did work on it.

The biggest challenge with the change in technology is meeting player expectations. Back in the dot era days with the Super Nintendo and 16-bit systems, we got emotions across through words and players would envision these cool scenes and battles. With new technology, we can express these through actual visuals, but we have high expectations from fans. Meeting those expectations are probably the biggest challenge for us.

You also did some mecha design for Xenogears, can you tell us about working on that title?

I was involved with creating Xenogears. We were on a very tight schedule and they reached out to me saying, “we need your help to model ships, battleships, anything!” I did a lot of the modeling for the ships. I was involved with the mech designs, but I actually don’t know their names. At that point, nothing had a name set to it so I don’t know the names to what I created. I just remember there was a transformable robot that changed into a gun and attached on to another robot or something like that. That’s the one that sticks out to me, but I don’t know what it’s called. [Laughs]

Do you think when people envision scenes in their mind they fill in the gaps and the scenes become more personal for them? I think in the dot era players came up with their own ideas of how the characters appeared which might be different from the creators.

It is difficult and this is a concern. What I think we can do moving forward is it is interactive media so we need to identify areas where players need to experience the gameplay themselves and other areas where we use cinematics or CG to express things in an objective view where we want players to experience the game world not as an active player. Finding that balance is one of our big challenges going forward.

It feels like we are reaching or perhaps have reached a point where the difference between CG movies and in game graphics isn’t that wide. One common discussion in the West is some people may feel they want to control a character rather than watch a cutscene, which is different compared to Japan where players want to watch the story unfold.

I agree with your thinking, but I don’t think we have to go all one way or the other when it comes to developing movies or focusing on gameplay. It depends on the project and the title, what the themes of that title are, and the vision of that team. Depending on that, we will look at the balance [between gameplay and cutscenes].

If the game calls for certain scenes that are movie like so players can sit back and take in the story we will put those in. If we fell other sections need more immersive gameplay we will focus on that. Personally, I am more an immersive gamer and there are times when I see a movie and go, “Why did you guys put a movie there? That was unnecessary.” But, I do understand the other side of the coin too.

It does sort of feel that way about the graphic quality tapering off. Part of the reason is when CGI movies were implanted it was so different from the actual in game graphic quality. The quality wasn’t that great, if you look back it now. Now, you have all of these graphic art companies working on visuals even Hollywood as well being involved in CG. Everyone was working hard to improve it and now we’ve come to a point where it is almost photorealistic.

Thinking about improvements in technology, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children was a big leap at the time. It must have been a risky project too since Square Pictures in Hawaii had problems with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. What it was like making that project?

We learned from The Spirits Within and made sure not to repeat history, so we went with the opposite direction of Square Pictures. What they didn’t do we decided to do for Advent Children. If we were to try to sell Advent Children now it might not work because it is a different time with everything within the company. I think that’s part of the reason why Advent Children was successful.

Do you think Visual Works will ever get a chance to make full CG movies again using Square Enix’s IP library?

I would love to! [Laughs]

What would you personally want to create?

Does it have to be our IP? [Laughs] I would like to make a title tied to the Final Fantasy series since it is so well known globally. If we were talking about just Japan alone, probably Dragon Quest would be a good IP to use. I would probably pick a past title like Final Fantasy VIII or Final Fantasy X because those stories are complete and I wouldn’t want to ruin a game that is still ongoing. Since the stories in VIII and X have concluded it is easier to make those into movies and tell a story instead of trying to incorporate gameplay. To be candid, there are plenty of IPs I would want to use from other companies.

It’s interesting that you mentioned Final Fantasy VIII and X being complete, but you skipped over Final Fantasy IX. Are there plans to expand that world?

The reason why I didn’t bring up Final Fantasy IX is I love it because I was very involved on it. I was involved with probably 50% of the map design and background design. I’m really familiar with the story and I really like it, but I do not know if there is as much of a calling from fans as there is for Final Fantasy VIII or Final Fantasy X.

image_thumb4.png

Final Fantasy IX had an interesting West meets East blend of development staff since some of the staff developing the game were in Hawaii. Visual Works is now working with Eidos titles like Deus Ex and Hitman. How is making visuals for these games different than say a Final Fantasy title?

Instead of looking at the East or West, we see it as a project or team. Because even when we say Western developed Hitman, Tomb Raider, and Deus Ex are all developed at different studios and each of those teams in the studios have their unique characteristics, their own brand and culture. It’s similar in Japan where each Final Fantasy game, has a different culture and vision depending on the team. It’s more Crystal Dynamics is this way, the Final Fantasy numbered team is this way, and Eidos Montreal is this way.

CGI is a continuous evolution. It’s always improving and always changing. We’re just trying to keep up with the times and adapting to the technology. It’s not like we’ve come up with a problem that we couldn’t do with a Final Fantasy title that we could do with a Crystal Dynamics one. Timing wise, it might work out that way, but that is not the goal. When it comes to Crystal Dynamics or IO Interactive titles, they do a great job of giving us an idea of the atmosphere they want to create. We’ll take that into account and add a little flair of own. When we get back to them we’ll say, “we think you wanted this kind of look, but this might look a little cooler. What do you think?” When it comes to Final Fantasy, pretty much anything I make ends up looking kind of like Final Fantasy. [Laughs] It’s pretty easy in that sense since I’ve worked on the series for so long I’m comfortable with it.

Characters in the Final Fantasy series have larger than life movements. In the mocap studio at Visual Works, how do you prepare actors to do these grand gestures?

To be honest, we don’t have elaborate sets where we do motion capture for those scenes with superhuman feats. When it comes to motion capture when it comes to how strong they can hit or how fast they can run, it’s really about the center of balance and that transition of balance. Standing up from a chair, for example, can they stand up in a straight line? Is that transition smooth? That’s what we’re focused on.

We create the big animations with key frame animators which are added on top of the motion capture. It’s not flashy movements, but actually clean movements. It may seem dull, but it’s to make it look clean.

How much creative freedom do you have when it comes to working on a Final Fantasy title? Since these games have big stories and scenes that you’re working on it’s a contrast to the Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 trailer where you could put in whatever monsters you want to add in.

It changes from project to project. Sometimes there is complete freedom, but other times there are restrictions like this movie will be played between these two events, here’s your time limit, here’s you’re in and here’s your out. It really depends on what the team wants and what the story is.

How is the balance between CG and action in Final Fantasy XV? It seems like out of all the Final Fantasy titles, this one will be the most action oriented.

I think it’s going to end up being a pretty good balance. It’s going to depend on the story and what we need to get across to tell it. We’re going to try to focus on real time as much as possible, but depending on the story if there are things we cannot express or visualize with real time graphics, like huge armies fighting each other or a world being destroyed, that may not look as good with real time graphics compared to a CGI movie.

In those instances, we’re going to look at what is necessary and what we’re trying to invoke in the player. If it’s better to do as a movie or if it is only possible to do as a movie, we’ll go with a CGI movie. If we feel it is better to do real time we’re going to focus on real time. We’re going to try to balance this as much as possible.
image_thumb5.png

When fans first saw Final Fantasy Versus XIII players saw all of these blades swirling around Noctis which was an impactful video when the game was announced. Now with the new hardware in PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, do you feel you need to top those scenes from the PS3 CG?

The E3 announcement trailer [for Final Fantasy Versus XIII] was designed to give players a concept of the gameplay we were envisioning. With the transition to PS4 and Xbox One, that is now more possible.

That was the destination we were trying to aim for and with the improvement of technology there are more things we can do when it comes to expression and rendering that we were not capable of doing back then. It’s not that it’s easily done, it’s still quite a hurdle, but it’s not as high of a hurdle as it once was. We are taking steps towards reaching that goal with technology.

Read more stories about Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children & Final Fantasy XV & Interviews & Square Enix on Siliconera.
source:Siliconera

PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD shipments top one million
Published 3 hours ago. 43 comments.

Next Active Time Report dated for April 28.

Total worldwide shipments for Final Fantasy Type-0 HD have passed one million copies, Square Enix announced.
The game launched for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on March 17 in North America and March 20 in Europe. Early copies include the Final Fantasy XV demo.
Square Enix also dated the next “Active Time Report” broadcast, dubbed “Feedback Report SP.” It will stream live on April 28 at 15:00 Japan time.

Read More

PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, Final Fantasy XV, RPG, Sales, Square Enix
Also with

Top, PlayStation 4, Arcade
Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade developed by Team Ninja, uses PS4 as core system
Published 2 hours ago. 99 comments.

Location test begins in Japan on April 17.

Dissidia-FF-Team-Ninja_04-10-15_001.jpg

The new Dissidia Final Fantasy announced for arcades in February is being developed by Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja using PlayStation 4 as its core system, Square Enix announced at its Dissidia Final Fantasy Closed Conference today. It will launch in Japanese game centers this fall.
Sony Computer Entertainment Japan president Atsushi Morita took the stage during the event, adding that he wants to bring the game to home consoles and is in discussions with Square Enix to do so. But Square Enix producer Ichiro Hazama said that the game will be arcade-exclusive for at least one year before it’s ported.
The game’s arcade cabinet was revealed. It uses twin sticks with the four PlayStation buttons for movement and actions. A live demonstration was given on stage, running on PlayStation 4 hardware at 60 frames per second.

Dissidia-FF-Team-Ninja_04-10-15_002.jpg

A location test will begin in Japan on April 17 at the following locations:
April 17 to 19 (10:00 to 24:00)

• HEY (Akihabara, Tokyo)
  • Sendai Leisurelan Ichibansho Store (Sendai, Miyagi)
  • Nagoya Leisurelan Sasashima Store (Nagoya, Aichi)
April 24 to 26 (10:00 to 24:00)

• Sega Ikebukuro GiGO (Ikebukuro, Tokyo)
  • Round One Stadium Sennichimae Store (Sennichimae, Osaka)
  • Taito Station Fukuoka Tenjin Store (Tenjin, Fukuoka)
The official website has provided details on gameplay:
Screen Layout

Dissidia-FF-Team-Ninja_04-10-15_003.jpg

Battles are three-versus-three. Here’s the screen layout:

• 1. Playtime
  • 2. Battle Log
  • 3. Teammate Status
  • 4. Player Status
  • 5. HP
  • 6. Target Line
  • 7. Break Bonus
  • 8. Mini-Map
  • 9. Enemy Team Information
  • 10. Chat Icon
Controls are the same across characters.
HP and Brave Attacks

Dissidia-FF-Team-Ninja_04-10-15_004.jpg

There are two types of attacks:

• HP Attack - When a player attacks with an HP Attack, the amount of HP they can take off the enemy is displayed as the Break Bonus stat in the upper-right corner of the screen.
  • Brave Attack - When a Brave Attack hits, it can sap away at the enemy’s own Break Bonus.
EX Skills
Dissidia-FF-Team-Ninja_04-10-15_005.jpg

A class of iconic support skills players can use during battle, such as “Protect” for raising allies’ defense, Slow to make enemies move slower, provoking enemies to lock their targets elsewhere. Also includes character specific skills like Tina’s “Trance” and Cloud’s “Limit Break.”
Summons Beasts
Dissidia-FF-Team-Ninja_04-10-15_006.jpg

All members of a team share a Summon Gauge that can be built up. When it’s full, if all players join in the invocation, they can have a Summons Beast enter the fray as a temporary fourth teammate. Summons Beasts also have auto-abilities that will be continuously in effect while they’re out on the field, providing an added boon to team members.
Summons Beasts are selectable.
Braves
Enemy Braves can also be stolen with a Brave Attack. Braves can be accumulated en masse with a Brave Break. If you manage to accrue all of an enemy’s Braves, you’ll get a bonus. That said, there’s a greater incentive to prioritize enemies with bigger Brave reserves.
Brave Breaks ideal to use after taking HP Attacks and can help stage big comebacks.
Character Customization
Character customization (status, abilities, etc.) can be done with a dedicated smartphone app, meaning you can make character changes without going to the arcade.
Updates
Regular updates are planned for release after the arcade version is out. Updates include additional characters, stages, summons, battle music, custom parts, balance refinements, and additional gameplay systems.
Confirmed characters so far include Warrior of Light (Final Fantasy I), Onion Knight (Final Fantasy III), Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI), Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII), Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII), and Y’Shtola (Final Fantasy XIV). Newly announced today is Ramza Beoulve, the protagonist of Final Fantasy Tactics. The pictured character artwork is designed by Tetsuya Nomura.
Dissidia-FF-Team-Ninja_04-10-15_Razma.jpg

Watch the latest trailer below.
[YT]Vm_ZcdhHrdk[/YT]
View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.

visit gallery »

Read More

Arcade, PlayStation 4, Top, Clips, Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade, Fighting Games, Koei Tecmo, Screenshots, Square Enix, Team Ninja, Trailers
source: Gematsu

Last edited:
^ guess that pretty much confirms that this will make its way to the PS4 at some point next year. I mean.......I hope it does.

now, I wonder if it will also get an X1 port........

Well, it confirms that Sony of Japan wants it to come to PS4. It's ultimately Square Enix's decision.

Well, it confirms that Sony of Japan wants it to come to PS4. It's ultimately Square Enix's decision.

well, I hope it comes to the X1, especially since the X1 got Type-0 and is getting FFXV.

that being said, if this turns out to be a hit, Sony may want to keep this as an exclusive fighting franchise.

Considering this was a collaboration with Sony of Japan, if it comes to consoles, it probably will be a PS4 exclusive.

I have to say the music for this

[YT]Vm_ZcdhHrdk[/YT]
could sound better well hopefully there other sound I'm gonna o back & list to the track to Xeno Blade chronicles X

oh this was just posted

Arcade
Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade ‘Y’shtola’ trailer
Published 1 hour ago. 15 comments.

See the Final Fantasy XIV character in action.

Dissidia-FF-Yshtola-Vid_04-11-15.jpg

Square Enix premiered a first look trailer for Final Fantasy XIV‘s Y’shtola in Dissidia Final Fantasy during the latest Final Fantasy XIV Letter from the Producer Live.
The Team Ninja-developed fighting game is due out in Japanese arcades this fall, with a potential console release due out a year later.
Watch the trailer below.

[YT]XEFwDX6xDWw[/YT]
Thanks, Nova Crystallis.

Read More

Arcade, Clips, Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade, Fighting Games, Gameplay, Koei Tecmo, Square Enix, Team Ninja

Last edited:
Considering this was a collaboration with Sony of Japan, if it comes to consoles, it probably will be a PS4 exclusive.

ah, yeah, then in that case, it will prob be a PS4 exclusive.

Arcade
Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade pre-location test live stream set for tomorrow
Published 3 mins ago. 0 comments.

Gameplay, character abilities, and more.

Disiddia-FF-Stream-April-13-Ann.jpg

Square Enix will host a Dissidia Final Fantasy live stream tomorrow just ahead of the arcade fighter’s location testing in Akihabara, Sendai, and Nagoya.
The “Spring Festival Special” broadcast will include gameplay, as well as an overview of the location test characters’ skills and abilities.
You’ll be able to watch it live via YouTube or Niconico tomorrow, April 13, at 20:00 Japan time (4:00 a.m. PT / 7:00 a.m. ET).

Read More

Arcade, Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade, Fighting Games, Koei Tecmo, Square Enix, Team Ninja

PlayStation 4, Arcade
Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade special trailer, arcade vs. PS4 comparison video

Published 8 hours ago. 48 comments.

See how the original arcade board compares to the new PS4 hardware.

Dissidia-FF-Vids_04-13-15.jpg

Square Enix has released two new trailers for Dissidia Final Fantasy for arcades.
The first video is an all-new trailer, showcasing gameplay all around, including footage from the Midgar stage teased at the end of Friday’s trailer.
The second video is a comparison between the game’s original TypeX arcade board hardware and its new PlayStation 4 hardware. As announced on Friday, the arcade title uses PlayStation 4 as its core system.
Watch both trailers below.
Special Trailer

[YT]XebSK-MiGL0[/YT]
Arcade Board vs. PlayStation 4

[YT]fdxMyrXIN5c[/YT]

Read More

Arcade, PlayStation 4, Clips, Comparisons, Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade, Fighting Games, Koei Tecmo, Square Enix, Team Ninja, Trailers
Also With

Dissidia Final Fantasy Comparison Between Arcade And PlayStation 4. April 13, 2015 . 3:47am

Video shows the comparison between what Dissidia Final Fantasy looks like on arcade and what it would look like on PlayStation 4.

Square Enix showed off the latest trailer for the upcoming arcade game, Dissidia Final Fantasy, and the developers have uploaded another pair of videos, including one that compares the game’s arcade looks to what it would look like on PlayStation 4.
[YT]fdxMyrXIN5c[/YT]

The above video shows the comparison between what Dissidia Final Fantasy looks like on arcade and what it would look like on PlayStation 4. As previously reported, a PS4 version hasn’t been “officially” announced yet, as Square Enix said that they would like for fans to enjoy it first in arcades. They mentioned that there won’t be any development towards a console release until at least a year after the launch of the arcade version.

[YT]XebSK-MiGL0[/YT]
The second video shows more gameplay footage of the characters, starting with Warrior of Light, Onion Knight, Terra, Cloud, Lightning, and Y’shtola. The video also shows a glimpse of a Midgar stage, along with more 3v3 action and Ifrit in battle.

Dissidia Final Fantasy is in development for arcade.

Read more stories about Arcade & Dissidia: Final Fantasy on Siliconera
source: Gematsu& Siliconera

Arcade
Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade will have 14 characters at launch

Published 5 hours ago. 57 comments.

No, Dissidia isn't launching with 50 characters.

Dissidia-FF-14-Charas-Launch.jpg

Dissidia Final Fantasy
for arcades will have 14 playable characters at launch, Square Enix clarified during a live stream this morning.
On Friday, Japanese outlets reported the publisher as saying at its Closed Conference event that the game would launch with 50 characters. But this was misreported, the company said.
Rather, Square Enix is planning to have 50 playable characters in the long run, added to the game via post-launch updates.
To date, the following seven characters have been confirmed:

• Warrior of Light (Final Fantasy I)
  • Onion Knight (Final Fantasy III)
  • Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII)
  • Y’Shtola (Final Fantasy XIV)
  • Ramza Beoulve (Final Fantasy Tactics)
View some footage from the broadcast below.
[YT]BZeXgZePvYQ[/YT]

Thanks, Hachima Kikou and Inside Games.

Read More

Arcade, Clips, Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade, Fighting Games, Gameplay, Koei Tecmo, Square Enix, Team Ninja
Also with

Square Enix Highlights What’s New In Dissidia Final Fantasy For Arcade. April 13, 2015 . 7:56am

Square Enix hope to reach 50 characters or higher in the long run, but they say to not expect that right away.

With the location test starting later this week, Square Enix held a livestream presentation for their upcoming arcade title of Dissidia Final Fantasy. Below are some of the highlights from the presentation.

While most of the controls are similar to the PSP versions of the game, one of the new features in Dissidia Final Fantasy for arcade is that Team Ninja have added new attacks you can perform while dashing.

The new 3-on-3 battle system brings a new cooperative aspect to the Dissidia series. This concept came from the idea of how Final Fantasy games are about fighting in groups or parties.

“EX Skills” are abilities that will allow you to help out buddies with with different effects or for debuffing enemies. Characters will have their own unique EX Skills, for example, Cloud will have access to his “Limit Break”.

The new Summoning system is considered to be a “super special” that comes from the bond between allies, and it calls out a Summoned Beast as a fourth ally to the party.

Summoning can be done when the white glowing meter shown on the upper-left part of the screen fills up. Players can summon in their own, but it will take a while longer. Performing it it with another ally or two will speed up the summon cast.

Additionally, Summoned Beasts provide buffs to the entire party. For example, having Ifrit might increase attack for the party while Ramuh increases the speed. (Those might not be the exact effects those two Summoned Beasts may have, but were used as simple examples.)

Rather than the Chaos versus Cosmos as seen in the PSP Dissidia games, the story will revolve more around you, the player.

As far as updates go, there are plans to release updates for the game with new characters, stages, Summoned Beasts, Battle music, various custom parts, balance adjustments, and system additions. Their goal is to have the game go on for at least 10 years with regular updates to keep players coming back for more.

It was also reiterated that while Square Enix previously mentioned that there will be about 50 characters, that’s simply a goal they’re aiming for, and will start out with 14 characters. Square Enix hope to reach 50 characters or higher in the long run, but they say to not expect that right away.

Similar to the announcement of Ramza, they will announce new characters over time, and will feature various characters from Final Fantasy I to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Last edited:

As a way for players to save data on arcades, players will be able to do so through the “Nesica” cards. Those who take part of the upcoming Location Tests will also get a special little something for when the game officially launches.

The above is a look at the character select screen, which shows some details on the characters. Once you select a character, their HP Attacks and EX Skills can be customized to your liking. You can also have more than one of the same character per team.

Read more stories about Arcade & Dissidia: Final Fantasy on Siliconera.
source: Gematsu& Siliconera

ok, this HAS to come to the West on PS4!!!

I just hope Yuna makes it in, and I wonder if FF XV characters will be added on later as DLC or something.

Last edited:

Dissidia Final Fantasy May End Up Using Team Ninja’s “Soft Engine” Tech. April 14, 2015 . 6:57am

Team Ninja leader Yosuke Hayashi says he’s already suggested Dead or Alive’s Soft Engine for Dissidia Final Fantasy.

When Square Enix announced that Dissidia Final Fantasy for arcade is being developed by Team Ninja, fans wondered whether that means the game will use the studio’s “Soft Engine” for its characters. While it may not be in use at the moment, key developers from Koei Tecmo and Square Enix talk about some potential possibilities.

During the interview, the developers are asked why they decided on making the game for arcades.

“We didn’t think about it at first, but after Taito asked us if we’d like to do it on arcade, we went to check out an arcade center, and thought ‘it could have good affinity with arcades’,” says director Takeo Kujiraoka. Kujiraoka then goes on to explain that there’s a tendency for sequel sales to decrease in the case of packaged games, so that was another reason that pushed them towards making Dissidia Final Fantasy for arcades instead.

Then, Team Ninja, who are known for their “Soft Engine” used to make the Dead or Alive characters more… lifelike, are asked the question fans have been wondering: will they use their Soft Engine in Dissidia Final Fantasy now that Team Ninja are involved in development?

“We, Team Ninja, have already suggested implementing it,” replies head of Team Ninja and Dead or Alive producer Yosuke Haysashi.

“At the moment, we haven’t implemented it, but if there’s strong demand from enough fans then there’s no doubt [that it can be implemented]… what will we do?” Square Enix producer Ichiro Hazama chimes in with a laugh.

When asked about past characters from the Dissidia series, Kujiraoka says that he’d like to see all the previous characters appear in Dissidia Final Fantasy for arcade. “In addition to the new characters, I’d like to add them through periodic updates.”

Read more stories about Arcade & Dissidia: Final Fantasy on Siliconera
source: Siliconera

I'm still playing FFX but this Dissidia thing looks neat. I can't imagine that they'd ever have anything like that in my neck of the woods. The only thing we had that was an arcade closed back in August. :(

On the plus side I'm taking on all the Dark Aeons in FFX with only the second half of them to go and I unlocked Nemesis in the monster catcher thing. Just grinding away now, already got Yuna and Wakka maxed. :D

Arcade
Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade location test tutorial video

Published 20 mins ago. 63 comments.

Location test kicks off tomorrow in Akiba, Sendai, and Nagoya.

Dissidia-FF-Tutorial-Loc-Test-Vid.jpg
Square Enix has released a new seven-minute tutorial video detailing how to play Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade ahead of its location test start on April 17.
Watch the video below.

[YT]dK4s5hXCRHw[/YT]
The game is due out in Japanese arcades this fall.

Read More

Also with

Dissidia Final Fantasy Shares A Tutorial On How You Play It. April 16, 2015 . 4:20am

Square Enix have shared a tutorial video for Dissidia Final Fantasy ahead of its location test in Japan.

Square Enix will hold their first location test for Dissidia Final Fantasy on arcades tomorrow, and they’ve uploaded a little tutorial video so fans can get a better understanding of how to play before testing it out for themselves. Here’s a look at the video.

For those of you wondering, “location tests” are basically demos or betas for arcade games, and they usually start out with a few characters and basic gameplay for players to get a taste of what’s to come, and for the developers to acquire valuable feedback. The above video shows one the tutorials on how to play.

20150416_041808_thumb.png
The images above are a look at the “Right Lever” part of the controller, where you can see that it has the traditional PlayStation controller setup with the four buttons, two shoulder buttons, and a right stick. The “Left Lever” has a left stick and two shoulder buttons. The blue button with a crystal on it is called the “Summon Button”.

Additionally, there are touch screen buttons which can be used for various options. The main menu lets you make selections by using either the controller or touch screen. This time around, Square Enix only has the option on the bottom-right that’s marked as “Location Test”.

The Location Test screen basically lets you choose out of the six players revealed thus far out of Warrior of Light, Onion Knight, Terra, Cloud Strife, Lightning, and Y’shotla. Next, you’ll have to choose out of a couple “Battle Sets”. Battle Sets basically have their own HP Attacks and EX Skills. In the Location Test options, Battle Set A is the one recommended for beginners. Once you choose that, you can use the symbol chat to share messages with the other characters and players.

At 2:30 in the video, we get a look at some of the basic controls. Press the X button to jump, and an additional jump can be performed while in mid-air for a double jump. Characters are moved with the left stick, and the camera with the right. The L2 and R2 buttons are for switching targets, and the R1 button does a dash, which uses the “Dash Gauge”.

The Dash Gauge will recover while you’re on the ground and not taking damage or attacking enemies. You can also use the dash to climb walls and trees. Another use for the R1 button is its Dash Cancel, which can be performed by holding the button down after finishing a combo.

Next, the video takes us through the basics of combat. For a better understanding of the interface, refer to our earlier report. The blue line shown between you and other character(s) means that you’re being targeted. When it turns red, that means an attack is coming, so beware.

By making an opponent’s “Brave” go to 9, you’ll get a “Brave Break” bonus. Using the left stick and R1 will let you go through different attacks. There are two types of attacks: HP Attacks and Brave Attacks. Brave Attacks increase your Brave, while HP Attacks can lower their health.

Holding down the L1 button can also be used to guard against enemy Brave Attacks, but it loses its effectiveness after taking several hits, which could eventually lead to a Guard Crush, which will leave you vulnerable for a moment. Meanwhile, pressing the L1 button performs the Step maneuver, which helps you evade attacks. Once the skill bar fills up, you can activate an EX Skill with the triangle button. Characters have their own unique EX Skills.

When a “Summon Core” crystal appears, you can attack it and break it down to fill up your Summon Meter. You can hold down the L2 or R2 button toe lock-on to the Summon Core and beat it down. Once you fill up the bar, you can press the Summon Button to call out a Summoned Beast.

Once a Summoned Beast is called out, they’ll go wild on the battlefield and will cause all sorts of Brave Damage to opponents. Consider them as a really helpful ally, but you’ll have to do some work to bring them out.

Read more stories about Arcade & Dissidia: Final Fantasy on Siliconera.

source:Siliconera

So I got platinum on FFX. :D Man, **** Tidus' Celestial weapon. Those races are BS. Pretty much every other one was fairly easy once you figured out the tricks.

I tried FFXII and didn't like it and I heard FFXIII and its sequels were garbage. Anything else recommended like VII or X?

I think VIII and IX should be played too. I'd also give Tactics a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"