The Offical Final Fantasy Thread

I’m thinking of getting into final fantasy but I’ve never really played a game before is XI a good one to start with? I have a PlayStation 4

I’m thinking of getting into final fantasy but I’ve never really played a game before is XI a good one to start with? I have a PlayStation 4
XI is an online mmo game like XIV that was released in the PS2 era. I don't think XI is even on the PS4.

Did you mean XIV? That's on the PS4. But, since I'm not into online mmos, I can't really help you.

On the PS4, you can play X/X-2, XII, XV, VII Remake Part 1. You can also play the original VII, VIII, and IX digitally.

They are all different, though share similar elements. So, it's kind of hard to see which is good to start with. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Of course, my fondness will always be with the original VII, since that was my 1st real intro to FF way back on the PS1. So I have a bias towards that game. And, I feel if you've played the original VII, then you'll have a greater appreciation of VII Remake. Though, you could always start with VII Remake.

If you don't mind older graphics and more turn based style combat, then the older titles (VII, VIII, and IX) would be good. I've actually never played IX, but I believe it's turn based style.

X/X-2 was the first FF to feature voice acting, but I also believe it was the last turn based style game. Starting with XII, combat shifted more towards real-time (though still being sort of turn based), with XV and VII Remake definitely feeling more action oriented. And it looks like that trend will continue with XVI.

Last edited:
Speaking of older titles, I think it's long overdue to release a proper current gen FF collection of I-VI. As well as a XIII trilogy remaster.

We should be able to play all mainline, non-mmo FF games on one system. And gamers of today should be able to experience those older classic titles.

There are just so many Final Fantasy games. Like even if I'm into fantasy jrpg games (which I'm not), I would not just hop into that franchise at all as I would get lost.

There are just so many Final Fantasy games. Like even if I'm into fantasy jrpg games (which I'm not), I would not just hop into that franchise at all as I would get lost.
From what I understand, almost all of the main games are completely separate stories from each other and you can pretty much jump in whenever you want to. I played XV as my first one earlier this year and absolutely fell in love with it despite having not much prior knowledge.

Okay, so... I'm about to break my TV over this Jules pull-up challenge in VII Remake. :cmad:

You can start anywhere with FF main line. Just don’t start with direct sequels like IV: After Years or X-2 or XIII-2. Also know that XI and XIV are online subscription multiplayer only games.

Final Fantasy Union has lots of fun Final Fantasy trivia videos for those into those sorts of things (spoilers for the games covered abound so beware.)

the latest video

Finally got my hands on the FF7 remake, the whole reason I got back into gaming after a 20 year absence, gonna start it at the weekend.

I just got final fantasy xv, it’s my first FF game and I’m obsessed with it! It’s just four guys driving around doing hot girl sh**. It’s super breezy but also sometimes heartbreaking

My favorite part of XV was the dungeons. Those were the actualization of a childhood dream.

If you’re playing the Royal version you’re at least playing a slightly better version of the game than I did when it came out. :yay:

I just got final fantasy xv, it’s my first FF game and I’m obsessed with it! It’s just four guys driving around doing hot girl sh**. It’s super breezy but also sometimes heartbreaking

When I am fine with FF7R XV is next on my list. The poor reputation it has doesn't put me off one bit. FF is a different beast in that regard.

FFX is rated highly by many and I couldn't stand it, the only FF game I never finished.

My favorite part of XV was the dungeons. Those were the actualization of a childhood dream.

If you’re playing the Royal version you’re at least playing a slightly better version of the game than I did when it came out. :yay:

yeah I’m playing the royal version and absolutely having a ball. Might give that other more recent one a go next, I’ve forgotten the name but it’s a bit more steampunky

With a big bunch of the VII onwards titles now available on gamepass I really look forward to getting through a bunch of these again asap. (IX & XII I never finished before)

9JBENDN.gif

So, I am curious at what version of FFVII the Switch is going to get. Just straight up the mobile game, or is it going to be a tweaked version for Switch...

Well, I played through chapter 1 of FF7R a few days ago, and I am still picking my jaw up off the floor. I know it's early in the game, but this is pretty much everything I ever wanted out of a remake so far.

Bravo Square.

As Darth and I discussed in the Sony forums during State Of Play, very excited for the Yuffie DLC and ps5 upgrade. I’m also really looking forward to the Ever Crisis mobile. As a huge fan of the original game this remake was to me just as amazing as the original. They compliment one another very well and handle the compilation of FF7 material wonderfully. Can’t wait for the next games.

Well, looks like I'm double dipping and going to buy this on PS5 as well. I know it's a free upgrade for PS4 version owners, but the Yuffie DLC will still cost something, and I don't mind buying this again for the PS5 version.

Glad I only made it like halfway through the game, though, and never finished it. Now this gives me the chance to revisit it in June. Hopefully by then I will be over my Demon's Souls itch and will have (finally) completed Persona 5 Royal!

Also, I really hope that Ever Crisis game comes to consoles and not just mobile (seems like it would be perfect on the Switch). Otherwise, it looks like I may finally break down and get an iPad for that game.

With all these re-releases and double dipping on remakes I feel all the more validated I didn't buy or play Final Fantasy VII Part 1 on the PS4. Better off just waiting until after they re-release Part 3 or whatever in a box set years from now, I'm not liking this episodic format PLUS now double dipping.

With all these re-releases and double dipping on remakes I feel all the more validated I didn't buy or play Final Fantasy VII Part 1 on the PS4. Better off just waiting until after they re-release Part 3 or whatever in a box set years from now, I'm not liking this episodic format PLUS now double dipping.

You’re missing out on an amazing game. But hey do whatever you want.

Man I saw an article about the Yuffie DLC's release date and thought it was for Part 2 and got really excited for a minute. :(

This Yuffie DLC only exists because we are at least a couple of years away from Part 2. I am going to avoid trying to get hyped because I know it is years off. :waa:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"