The Offical Final Fantasy Thread

This Yuffie DLC only exist because we are at least a couple of years away from Part 2. I am going to avoid trying to get hyped because I know it is years off. :waa:
Yes that's the main reason I got sad. I don't follow video game news, so I didn't realize they were even doing a DLC for this until that moment. It was that instant I realized the wait for Part 2 was about to be a lot longer than I'd hoped.

On the bright side being a few years into the new console gen should mean that we'll really get to see the benefits of the newer hardware, it always seems to take a few years into a new console cycle to get the games that truly look next gen, considering how good this game looked even on base PS4 I can't wait to see what part 2 looks like as a full on PS5 title.

On the bright side being a few years into the new console gen should mean that we'll really get to see the benefits of the newer hardware, it always seems to take a few years into a new console cycle to get the games that truly look next gen, considering how good this game looked even on base PS4 I can't wait to see what part 2 looks like as a full on PS5 title.

Yeah having started this remake a couple of weeks ago the graphics and world are pretty astonishing already. Part on PS5 will look better than Advent Children.

Yeah having started this remake a couple of weeks ago the graphics and world are pretty astonishing already. Part on PS5 will look better than Advent Children.
It’s great to see technological progress like this bringing the equivalent of animated films of the past to life in a game world.

Yeah, this is one of the things I love about this hobby. The hardware and tech (and dev’s ability to take advantage of it) just keeps improving as time goes on.

E3yZgsBUYAAGtS1

Page 1 of CHAOS
Page 2 of CHAOS

Also chaos:

Cyber Group lines up Final Fantasy IX series

Paris-based Cyber Group Studios has inked a co-development and co-production deal with Japanese video game company Square Enix to adapt its fantasy/adventure title Final Fantasy IX as an animated series for eight- to 13-year-olds.

In addition to producing the show, Cyber Group will also handle worldwide distribution, licensing and merchandise.

The company is putting the finishing touches on a project bible, and plans to begin pitching it to broadcasters in the coming months, says Pierre Sissmann, CEO of Cyber Group Studios.. While episode count and length had not been finalized at press time, Sissmann says the goal is to begin production by the end of 2021 or beginning of 2022.

Final Fantasy IX (pictured) centers around a thief who kidnaps a princess and then teams up with her to save the kingdom from evil forces. Originally launched in 2000, the game has sold more than five million copies worldwide.

The 30-year-old Final Fantasy franchise has been adapted for TV before, but this marks the first time the game’s ninth iteration specifically will be adapted as an animated kids series.

Final Fantasy is one of the most popular kid-friendly video game franchises ever, with more than 154 million copies sold worldwide, according to Square Enix’s 2020 annual report. That popularity, and a chance to expand the brand with new characters and adventures, is what attracted Cyber Group, says Sissmann.

“The games have a strong co-viewing potential. For those who do know Final Fantasy IX , this will be an [introduction],” he says. “And for the many who don’t, this will immerse them in a universe they’ll love.”

Would be cool if the anime is a sequel, but 9 is such a fun story that it wouldn't be against it being a re-telling either and if it went 8n for multiple seasons then it could still carry on past the game.

Though that's supposedly gonna be family friendly, but I think FF8 would be great for an anime that's rated for teens and above.

Japanese presentation video (featuring Final Fantasy series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi):

New Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster footage shows more from Final Fantasy I through VI - Nova Crystallis (screenshots)

Final Fantasy VI (1994) (Super Famicom/Super NES)
h9NGqM2.jpeg

Final Fantasy VI Advance (2006-2007) (Game Boy Advance)
gba.jpg

Final Fantasy VI (2014-2015) (mobile/PC/phone)
e9uTGABl.png

Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster (2021) (mobile/phone/TBD)
XrpULIM.png

Don't know if these will reach the redrawn graphical heights of Final Fantasy I & II and Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection for PSP but it's a definite improvement over the previous mobile versions at least.

I wonder if any of the extra content from the Advance and PSP versions will be included with these new editions.

Last edited:
I just want the GBA versions for the Switch.

Huh, that's actually a more extensive redraw of the artwork than I expected. See, if they actually showed *that* during the reveal, people would probably have been more enthusiastic.

Square Enix is removing the recent (ugly IMO - bad UI with a bad font and an inconsistent look due to graphical assets all at different resolutions and pixel densities - but they are expanded content rich which we don't yet know if the new 'pixel remasters' will be also) mobile/PC Final Fantasy 2D remakes from the stores soon:

The ugliest Final Fantasy games are vanishing from Steam next month | PC Gamer
To make way for what might be equally ugly versions.

I get they're doing this so to prevent confusion but sad for the people that liked those and for game preservation.

---------------------------

Last edited:
I thought this comparison video was pretty cool:

The 2D FF remakes are out for preorder on Steam.

Says the bonus content is gone (based on original release versions).

Rearranged soundtracks - which could be good, bad, or all over the place.

Perhaps worst of all is the atrocious text font! If you’re going with PIXEL remasters, you need a pixel font! The original FF fonts were chunkier and not in whisper-thin or squished HD.

GameSpot - Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Series Teaser Images Are Out, And The Font Is Ugly
At least it's not comic sans?

People are really pissed at Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster's ugly fonts | PC Gamer
The curse of the Final Fantasy remakes lives on.

IGN - The Questionable Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Font is Today’s Twitter Discourse
They were so close.

Kotaku - Final Fantasy 'Pixel Remasters' Cost A Bunch And Have Tiny, Tiny Text
Final Fantasy I-VI remasters have everybody talking--but not in a good way

Why Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster's Font is Angering Fans - Den of Geek
Final Fantasy's recently released pixel remasters somehow found a way to ruin the original games' font.

Square Enix, please stop using terrible fonts in classic game remasters. I’m begging you - VG247
What is it with Square Enix and messing up the most simple elements of remasters of its classic game catalog?

E5N0KqkVIAEBdSE

The Japanese font is about twice the width of the English font if you look at screenshots - including the English text in the Japanese font.

The western release English text looks even worse in FF2 where the text is sometimes in narrow red typeface on a blue background to denote important terms.

Last edited:
It boggles my mind that they aren't releasing those pixel remasters on consoles. Seems like such a HUGE missed opportunity, especially on a console like the Switch. In fact, that was probably my most disappointing moment of E3.

OTOH, it boggles my mind that they still can't get a decent font on their old rereleases. The more Square-Enix screws stuff like this up, the more convinced I am that my "Someone important inside Square-Enix actively hates the pre-FF7 titles" conspiracy theory is true.

OTOH, it boggles my mind that they still can't get a decent font on their old rereleases. The more Square-Enix screws stuff like this up, the more convinced I am that my "Someone important inside Square-Enix actively hates the pre-FF7 titles" conspiracy theory is true.
My theory is they are intentionally releasing crappy ones, knowing people will buy them, and will eventually release decent ones before the inevitable proper remakes. To fully optimism their profits.

DualShockers - Final Fantasy 16 Update – YoshiP, Yoko Taro Comments Translated
Square Enix is currently holding the Final Fantasy XIV The 7th 14-hour Broadcast, which most notably included a talk show with Final Fantasy 14 and 16 producer Naoki Yoshida, FF XIV global community producer Toshio Muro, NieR creative director Yoko Taro, and NieR producer Yosuke Saito – a new update for FF16 was shared. I translated their discussion below.
  • Yoko Taro: “I want to write the scenario for Final Fantasy 16!!”
  • YoshiP: “Well, I don’t think that’s possible sadly. We’re pretty much done with the scenario”
  • Yoko Taro: “Maybe I can fill in some gaps!!”
  • YoshiP: “We’re almost done with the dubbing too so…”
  • Yoko Taro: “I can dub characters too! Wait, you’re done with that too?”
  • YoshiP: “We’re wrapping up the English dub right now”
Yosuke Saito: “Ok so the scenario is done and the dubbing is nearly done too. That’s barely anything but I bet gaming sites will still make articles out of it”.
YoshiP: “I hope we reach that quality threshold by TGS, but I don’t think we’ll make it (laughs).“

Started the Yuffie DLC finally. Loving it. Enjoy the combat with her. Can’t wait to finish it and then replay the entire game again. It’s right up there for me with the original FF7. I hear the end of this DLC also alludes a bit to what might happen in Part 2.

It's been 30 years since Final Fantasy IV came out on the Super Famicom first in Japan in July and then later in the year in 1991 for the Super NES. It was such an important game for me at the time I received it at Christmas 1991 (an important time in my life) after I had finished Final Fantasy on the NES. I really connected with the story of the characters like Rydia and Cecil; it was the most emotional and cinematic video game I had played up to that point and a big leap over the NES game.

RETROSPECTIVE: Contains some major story spoilers:

RETROSPECTIVE: Major story spoilers from 12:25 to 21:45

Last edited:
81dwK3QK4IL._SX385_.jpg

30 years since Final Fantasy IV was released

Additionally, today also marks the 20 years since Final Fantasy X was released for the first time in Japan (it’s the 19th in Japan now), which to me is the last great Final Fantasy game released. It introduced the world to Tidus, the lovable dorky jock, and the spiritual successor to Rydia (like the monster Summoners in the previous FF games such as IX with
Eiko and Garnet
) named Yuna. It had a really cool world and colorful graphics and great music, as well as a personal story that utilized voice acting for the series’ first time.

EvojI68UUAAdiEq.jpg:small

RETROSPECTIVE: contains story spoilers

See also: Final Fantasy Union - 7 Obscure Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Final Fantasy X (video)

Last edited:
I was mixed on FFX for many years because of Tidus. Easily the most annoying protagonist in the entire series. People frequently mention Vaan, but Vaan is kinda there, while Tidus' obnoxious personality is front and center.

FFX aged like Spider-Man trilogy for me. What was annoying back in the day is replaced with nostalgia for more innocent times. It's a modern-looking FF game with the classic battle system. That I truly miss, since everything today has to be button mashing action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"