The Official Green Lantern Review Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can assure quality. At least a good movie is going to be made. It seems that the problem with GL is that it is too similar to the comics and that doesn't make it a good movie.

Money, shmoney, I'm talking about quality. Transformers was literally the worst film going experience I've ever had in my life. In addition to being incomprehensibly awful, it was depressing as hell that in general, audiences liked it and gave it all kinds of money. If Green Lantern sucks, I'd rather it tank at the box office than have audiences eat it up thus perpetuating cinematic atrocities. That's why Green Lantern being this summer's Transformers would be just about the worst thing ever.

I loved TF, still do. Hell I even enjoyed TF2. Not hard to like something that as a kid I knew was cheesy, even more so when its based off of toys.

I'm still pumped to see GL, I was never expecting too much for a first film, but even with all the footage I've seen I still think I'll enjoy it.

Well, we'll see how it fares. Even if it is a blockbuster box office wise, the reviews are what a lot of fanboys will ultimately care about.

It will be fair conversation by tomorrow when everyone sees it.

Especially considering how this film could impact the possibility of Flash materializing.

Though, MAYBE Geoff Johns should be kept out of Flash.

I'm starting to think they should have got the Nolan team to "godfather" ALL DC films.

I wouldn't go with this mindset, it's a very closed way of thinking that the studio execs tend to do. When TIH didn't do bad, but underperformed, Marvel didn't say Favreau should oversee every production (granted, they made him exec producer on Avengers but that's small potatoes compared to Nolan's involvement).

I'm sort of glad they tried something different even if it didn't work out, especially something like bringing an apparently renowned comic writer on board. Granted, if having Nolan on board would've meant a better movie it surely would've been worth it, but I think it's good to have a little experimentation on the studios' part.

Bump that, they need to keep trucking along and find someone for each film. The right combinations are out there, but need to be found.

I like Nolan, but each future film needs its own team. Besides, we haven't seen Man of Steel yet, so we can't say whether his "godfathering" is good or not.

Exactly, Honestly I didnt even like that they got the same writers for Flash as they had for GL. Get different writers, different directors, different actors,

I didn't care for most of IGN's disappointments. Especially Angela as Amanda Waller. Criticisms mean absolutely nothing when they aren't provable and realistic.
Provable and realistic? It's a review! By its very nature, it's a subjective piece of writing. Things like "provability," "realistic," and "objective" need not apply.

And again, how can any of you be saying these reviews are getting it wrong when you HAVEN'T SEEN IT.

I think WB/DC is thinking exactly this. If Nolan will do it remains to be seen but I'm sure WB/DC will chuck out a good load of cash in front of him to commit to more producing/writing ideas for future DC adaptations.

Yup.

Nolan's team is already relaunching Batman after TDKR, confirmed by Robinov. Nolan will serve as producer.

Nolan is relaunching Superman too.

If they can get him to relaunch GL and launch Flash, we would have a solid lineup of WB's big hitters.

Enough to warrant a JL film someday in the far future hopefully.

Nolan for all DC Comics movies? Hell no.

Yeah, we haven't even see the Superman reboot sheparded by Nolan, and I think it is too early to declare that all the movies should be given the Nolan supervision. I like Chris Nolan & most of his movies, particularly BB & TDK, but I think it is a sign of insecurity to give Nolan the authority to reshape DC Universe for the cinema.

Last edited:
Nolan isn't the answer for every character.

I had high hopes for this. Gotta say the negative reaction is disheartening. I just don't get how they could **** this up so badly...

When people get desperate they start grasping for anything.

If Superman is a success, it is going to prove he can do it.

Joblo's Review Synopsis:

GREEN LANTERN is not the end all be all of superhero films, however it will bode well for audiences tired of the brooding caped crusader, those who are looking for a little more camp with their comic flick. While the story can be interesting, the script itself is uneven and all over the place without ever stirring up the thrill factor. The effects are generally very good, however there are moments that fail to impress, especially when Parallax expands into one giant mess of a monster – the beast is creepy, especially when you get a sense of the evil inside. As far as the actors go, Lively, Sarsgaard and Strong give solid performances. Reynolds is good throughout most of his evil-bashing duties, yet sometimes he could let a little bit of vulnerability shine through his CG suit. Maybe the sequel will be able to conjure up a little bit more dazzle with its emerald rays of light

He gave it a 6 out of 10

Not bad, I do believe GL is delivering something different, so I hope it does well with general audiences.

Nolan isn't the answer for every character.
well ..... I do think they need to have someone in charge of dc films and that person needs somwe sort of filmmaking experience because right now outside of Nolan DC superhero films are a mess

He can assure quality. At least a good movie is going to be made. It seems that the problem with GL is that it is too similar to the comics and that doesn't make it a good movie.

Yep.

"Man of Steel" has a mediocre director, Zack Snyder.

BUT it has solid casting and a solid script, thanks to Nolan and crew. That's what GL lacked according to these reviews.

It sounds like the entire approach to this character was flawed.

I'm not saying Nolan's right for all the DC titles but clearly Martin Campell and company weren't fit for the job either. Just trying to point out that WB now clearly sees Nolan as some form of golden goose and will try to stretch this out for DC others property. How long and far they can keep doing this remains to be seen but I'm sure there's a point where Nolan will just say "enough".

DC/WB need to do some serious restructuring after this.

relaunching/rebooting GL would be stupid. as are most reboots/relaunches. just because a film is subpar doesnt mean you puss out and reboot. what you do is produce a sequel thats far better in quality.

Yup.

Nolan's team is already relaunching Batman after TDKR, confirmed by Robinov. Nolan will serve as producer.

Nolan is relaunching Superman too.

If they can get him to relaunch GL and launch Flash, we would have a solid lineup of WB's big hitters.

Enough to warrant a JL film someday in the far future hopefully.

WB/DC is probably taking that under serious consideration, I just wonder if Nolan will be down.

well ..... I do think they need to have someone in charge of dc films and that person needs some sort of filmmaking experience because right now outside of Nolan DC superhero films are a mess

That's assuming Chris would want to shepard DC adaptations. I'm pretty certain he wouldn't want to be stuck around superheros forever.

More than likely Nolan will be like, "I'm done with all that, I've assisted with Supes and I'm finishing up Bats, I want to chill." It's like the guy that every chicks wants only because he's so aloof and turning them down. DC may need to look at Marvel and see what they're doing. Bringing in fresh talent, guys in the industry that have some knowledge of the genre, but not so much that they're blinded to what makes a good story.

This is from Superherohype:

While on paper, Ryan Reynolds should make a decent Hal Jordan, his limited range as an actor is painfully obvious as he's essentially playing the same character he's played in every other movie only this time wearing CG spandex. He gives it a fine college effort to bring his usual charms to the character, but he's no Robert Downey Jr. and the dialogue he's given does little to make Hal likeable.

Van Wilder in Space.

ugh, i so do not want nolan involved in everything.

More than likely Nolan will be like, "I'm done with all that, I've assisted with Supes and I'm finishing up Bats, I want to chill." It's like the guy that every chicks wants only because he's so aloof and turning them down.

Nolan's already confirmed by Robinov to be the producer of Batman 4. It sounds like WB is trying to keep the same people godfathering Batman to ensure quality.

Smart move though.

Nolan won't. When he's done with Bat's, he'll be done.

His wife has already stated that he has a much, much smaller film in mind after Rises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"