The Official Green Lantern Review Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from Superherohype:

Van Wilder in Space.
from the beginning this has been my concern with RR. i've been vocal with my discomfort with him in the role, but i've tried to make the best of it. hoping for the best. hoping to be wrong. sigh.

Ugh. We've managed to go the whole summer without a high profile flop, I really don't want it to be Green Lantern. :(

hmm It's starting to appear that Green Lantern is this years Fantastic Four...

oh well :hal::awesome:

relaunching/rebooting GL would be stupid. as are most reboots/relaunches. just because a film is subpar doesnt mean you puss out and reboot. what you do is produce a sequel thats far better in quality.

I think you need a reboot similar to "Incredible Hulk"

Different cast, different director, different approach. Ditch all the cartoony CGI for more practical effects. Go for a different tone.

And have the film start with an established hero, without going back and doing the origins again.

See, the thing is that bothers me if it is, this will make DC not to want to leave their comfort zone of Batman and Superman. The rest of the JLA, let alone the rest of the DC Universe won't see the light of day in live action form, except maybe on tv.

That's assuming Chris would want to shepard DC adaptations. I'm pretty certain he wouldn't want to be stuck around superheros forever.
I am not saying it has to be him , but clearly DC needs to look at Marvel and learn a lesson from them , because in mind dc has better characters but 2nd tier characters from Marvel are getter better treatment than Green Lantern and even Superman ( until MOS at least)

IMO, GL might be a movie that would be better if its completely animated. There isnt enough money to make this kind of movie reach every potential unless you're George Lucas or James Cameron.People were expecting too much out of this for an origin movie.They expected a 4 hour space epic with 3600 lanterns fighting parallax which we know wasnt going to happen in this...

IMO, GL might be a movie that would be better if its completely animated. There isnt enough money to make this kind of movie reach every potential unless you're George Lucas...People expect too much out of this for an origin movie...

Wanting a good movie is expecting too much?

See, the thing is that bothers me if it is, this will make DC not to want to leave their comfort zone of Batman and Superman. The rest of the JLA, let alone the rest of the DC Universe won't see the light of day in live action form, except maybe on tv.

Same here, I really want to see this movie to do great in terms of BO and Critical/Audience reception to go forward with other DC characters.

I am not saying it has to be him , but clearly DC needs to look at Marvel and learn a lesson from them , because in mind dc has better characters but 2nd tier characters from Marvel are getter better treatment than Green Lantern and even Superman ( until MOS at least)

It might be time for WB to go crawling back to George Miller on hands and knees.

If they do a seqeul, they should keep it in the same universe, but get a different green Lantern, like John Stewart! and have him as the main character.

soooo while van wilder is to busy getting drunk at a sorority party in which he doesn't belong..Joh stewart comes in to REDIGNIFY the human race as the new green Lantern! :woot::kyle:

The fact that they couldn't even figure out how to get Wonder Woman on tv OR the movies already is a sign. With all the writers that have fleshed her out as of late in the books, getting them as consultants or even screenplay writing should have been priority one.

IMO, GL might be a movie that would be better if its completely animated. There isnt enough money to make this kind of movie reach every potential unless you're George Lucas or James Cameron.People were expecting too much out of this for an origin movie.They expected a 4 hour space epic with 3600 lanterns fighting parallax which we know wasnt going to happen in this...

Come on , Thor was a damn good film , and Serenity's budget is about 1/8 of Green Lantern . Green Lantern's budget ain't the problem

If GL fails, they will make Justice League and introduce the characters there, outside Batman and Superman.

This is very possible.

But I think Flash and GL will be the biggest casualties if this happens.. I hope it doesn't.

The great thing about Green Lantern is that if it flops, you don't need to do a reboot, you can just do another Lantern, like John or Kyle. Personally, I always liked Kyle better then Hal. Or even better, Guy Gardner.

Joblo's Review Synopsis:

GREEN LANTERN is not the end all be all of superhero films, however it will bode well for audiences tired of the brooding caped crusader, those who are looking for a little more camp with their comic flick. While the story can be interesting, the script itself is uneven and all over the place without ever stirring up the thrill factor. The effects are generally very good, however there are moments that fail to impress, especially when Parallax expands into one giant mess of a monster – the beast is creepy, especially when you get a sense of the evil inside. As far as the actors go, Lively, Sarsgaard and Strong give solid performances. Reynolds is good throughout most of his evil-bashing duties, yet sometimes he could let a little bit of vulnerability shine through his CG suit. Maybe the sequel will be able to conjure up a little bit more dazzle with its emerald rays of light

He gave it a 6 out of 10

Not bad, I do believe GL is delivering something different, so I hope it does well with general audiences.

That doesn't read so much as an endorsement as an excuse to crap on Batman

Campbell would probably make a solid Batman movie(the action would be a lot better for one). I just think there were too many cooks in the kitchen for this film. Considering what WB needs and what Johns needs and what the producers want, and the crappy effects house that they were stuck with and blake lively and so on.

Nolan on board would mean more control yes, but he's hardly any more capable in this situation than campbell was, he just got to make a film in his genre (THRLLER), whereas Campbell is stuck making a superhero movie for a studio imo.

And no, considering Transformers is just about the 3rd strongest brand on the market right this minute, I'd say GL would only be so lucky.

I don't have a problem with Ryan Reynolds sort of acting like himself in the movie, I haven't seen enough of his movies to get annoyed by him playing himself in a movie to an extent.

Even if this doesn't do as well, sequel wise, just bring on Guy and John as the supporting cast, make it an ensemble thing so it's the same, yet different.

Wanting a good movie is expecting too much?

Bingo!

I see so many fans posting who are saying they will love this film no matter what. I hope they realize that doing that does not help things at all. It actually makes things worse for comic adaptations when you vote with your dollar and settle for comic book movie adaptation mediocrity; forgiving just about every shotcoming. It just encourages bad movie production and the notion that movies adapted from comics are not to be taken seriously.

I say make up your own mind on any movie but when it is all said and done, don’t be scared to be honest about it. :hal:

They expected a 4 hour space epic with 3600 lanterns fighting parallax which we know wasnt going to happen in this...

I wasn't expecting a 4 hour movie, but after all the ads showing the Corp apparently getting pumped for battle, it wasn't unreasonable to expect them to actually fight something. Not to mention the leaked first draft featured plenty of the Corp kicking ass at the end.

Last edited:
The great thing about Green Lantern is that if it flops, you don't need to do a reboot, you can just do another Lantern, like John or Kyle. Personally, I always liked Kyle better then Hal. Or even better, Guy Gardner.
I've always thought that the destruction of coast city, fall of Hal Jordan and recruitment of Kyle Rayner would make a damn good movie. People love to see bad stuff happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"