• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official Green Lantern Rumors/Speculation Thread - Part 1

I don't think we get Green Lantern Corps until 2022 at the earliest and why I say that? There are no DCEU films currently slated for 2022 which works just as well because then you can easily put Green Lantern Corps in the February slot or you can set it for a summer release date or a fall 2022 release date

I think he deserves better than being used as and old supporting character, especially after what they did to him last time. I used to overreact a lot when I heard this stuff about Hal being older because of the implications I get from it, but now I recognize that veteran Hal isn't the worst thing in the world because the character's portrayal has to be as different as possible from the 2011 version, but I think giving him the Hank Pym role would be a disservice to the character. The MCU really did Pym dirty and so far the DCEU has done to the same to Jordan so I hope he doesn't end up the same way.
I'm fine with Hal being a vet and older in age, but not Michael Douglas-old, lol. A guy in his 50's would be fine as long as he can still do action. But I don't want Hal sitting on the sidelines while the others take care of the action stuff like Hank Pym does.

Any dates for late 2020? Shazam 2 and New Gods could be bolters for that

June 2022 could be AM2, I think the next batch in line are prob Supergirl, Batgirl, GLC, Flash and Blue Beetles, on top of the existing films and their sequels.

If they bunch up bat and SS2 then they might be looking at a 3rd in 2021
Well I would take all of those. :up:

I'm fine with Hal being a vet and older in age, but not Michael Douglas-old, lol. A guy in his 50's would be fine as long as he can still do action. But I don't want Hal sitting on the sidelines while the others take care of the action stuff like Hank Pym does.
Well you know you wouldn’t get that if Cruise was cast. No matter how old he is.

Well you know you wouldn’t get that if Cruise was cast. No matter how old he is.
Yep, which is why I'd be fine with Cruise. He's not an ideal fit for Hal, imo, but he'd work. As long as he brings McQuarrie with him, lol.

Ricky Whittle(American Gods) says he would love to play john stewart and claims to have had some sort of conversations
American Gods' Ricky Whittle explains why he wants to play Green Lantern

shadow-moon_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqgyPEhYuRpKTUq7h1xmrPq82VW0v8iXlrydEtovV2-iQ.jpg

Whittle is big DC comic fan so it wouldn't surprise me if he auditioned for a role at some point.

Yeah. Dude looks like a superhero too. If he doesn't get this, then Marvel should go after him for Silver Surfer.

I think he deserves better than being used as and old supporting character, especially after what they did to him last time. I used to overreact a lot when I heard this stuff about Hal being older because of the implications I get from it, but now I recognize that veteran Hal isn't the worst thing in the world because the character's portrayal has to be as different as possible from the 2011 version, but I think giving him the Hank Pym role would be a disservice to the character. The MCU really did Pym dirty and so far the DCEU has done to the same to Jordan so I hope he doesn't end up the same way.

Honestly, I still think that if an older dude is playing Hal, that will essentially mean that John is the lead, which I think is lame. I'd rather Hal not be in the film at all if he has to play second fiddle to John or any other human Lantern.

Well, the rumors were than it would be a "buddy cop" style movie with a shared lead between Hal and John. Hal was supposedly the older veteran and John was the young recruit. Now, that could mean that Hal could ultimately get killed at the end and John would take up the central role, but it hasn't always worked out that way. Men in Black is a good example of that.

I'm kind of torn. Hal was the GL that I grew up with so he's my favorite but I also like John and Kyle and I think leaning into the team aspect of the property will be what sets it apart from other superhero films. Although with Captain Marvel coming out, I wonder if GL will get shelved indefinitely. Because CM feels like the movie that Green Lantern SHOULD have been, instead of whatever Martin Campbell was trying to do.

Honestly, I still think that if an older dude is playing Hal, that will essentially mean that John is the lead, which I think is lame. I'd rather Hal not be in the film at all if he has to play second fiddle to John or any other human Lantern.

Well, they already destroyed the character anyway, so does it really matter how they handle him from this point on. It's pretty much of no consequence. The way I see it, the only reason he's going to be there is to introduce the new guy, since the new guy needs him in order to be introduced. Scott Lang needed Hank Pym to take over the Ant-Man mantle and John Stewart needs Hal Jordan to take over as the next Green Lantern of Earth. Another thing is the "legacy" concept doesn't necessarily work the same way in movies that it does in comics. In the comics Hal is still going to be a young guy no matter how many Earth Lanterns come after him, same way Batman is still young, despite raising four Robins. That won't be the case while taking the cinematic approach to legacy. So I could probably live with Hal being the second fiddle as long as he's better portrayed than he was before.

Last edited:
Well, they already destroyed the character anyway, so does it really matter how they handle him from this point on.

WB ruining the character before doesn't keep Hal from being salvaged. Thankfully Ryan Reynolds and Tim Miller didn't have that type of mentality, or else we wouldn't have gotten a movie Deadpool that was true to the comic book version.

It's pretty much of no consequence. The way I see it, the only reason he's going to be there is to introduce the new guy, since the new guy needs him in order to be introduced. Scott Lang needed Hank Pym to take over the Ant-Man mantle and John Stewart needs Hal Jordan to take over as the next Green Lantern of Earth. Another thing is the "legacy" concept doesn't necessarily work the same way in movies that it does in comics. In the comics Hal is still going to be a young guy no matter how many Earth Lanterns come after him, same way Batman is still young, despite raising four Robins. That won't be the case while taking the cinematic approach to legacy. So I could probably live with Hal being the second fiddle as long as he's better portrayed than he was before.

To me, making Hal second fiddle is a slap in the face. He's not some B Lister like Hank Pym, he's one of DC's biggest characters.

WB ruining the character before doesn't keep Hal from being salvaged. Thankfully Ryan Reynolds and Tim Miller didn't have that type of mentality, or else we wouldn't have gotten a movie Deadpool that was true to the comic book version.

Fair enough. Deadpool's terrible version still didn't have his own movie though, he was a side character in a movie that was going to be bad with or without him, so rebooting him was a considerably less difficult task than the situation with Hal.

To me, making Hal second fiddle is a slap in the face. He's not some B Lister like Hank Pym, he's one of DC's biggest characters.

He's my favorite Lantern, I'm just not sure that he's considered to be salvageable in the studio's eyes and they've given me little reason to believe otherwise.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Deadpool's terrible version still didn't have his own movie though, he was a side character in a movie that was going to be bad with or without him, so rebooting him was a considerably less difficult task than the situation with Hal.

Can't say I agree. X-Men Origins: Wolverine may not be a Deadpool film, but the butchering of Deadpool is one of, if not the most notable failure of that film. "Baraka Pool" is pretty much the mascot of X-Men Origins. If Deadpool can come back from that, I don't see why Hal can't come back from one bad movie that'll be 10 years old by the time another GL film will be made.

If the same exact version of Aquaman can star in a bomb like Justice League, and then have his next film gross a billion dollars, WB can use a young Hal Jordan as the leading man in another GL flick.

He's my favorite Lantern, I'm just not sure that he's considered to be salvageable in the studio's eyes and they've given me little reason to believe otherwise.

It'd be irrational if they did consider him un-salvageable. Unfortunately, rationality isn't WB's strong suit at times, so I can understand where you're coming from.

After seeing CM, I'm more convinced that WB should push forward with GLC. Take cues from Into the Spiderverse (Hal mentoring John) and CM (the backstory and intergalactic space conflict) and apply them to the story.

I don't see why they would shelve it, other than the Corps and Kree sharing superficial similarities. That's not a good reason to shelve a movie.

After seeing CM, I'm more convinced that WB should push forward with GLC. Take cues from Into the Spiderverse (Hal mentoring John) and CM (the backstory and intergalactic space conflict) and apply them to the story.

I don't see why they would shelve it, other than the Corps and Kree sharing superficial similarities. That's not a good reason to shelve a movie.

GLC can be the DC equivalent of Captain Marvel but better

I honestly don't see where this film fits in the schedule. Looking like it could be atleast another 5 years before we get another GL film.

2019: Shazam; The Joker
2020: Birds of Prey; Wonder Woman 1984
2021: The Flash (?); Batman; Suicide Squad 2
2022: Black Adam; New Gods; Aquaman 2

Looking like 2023 the earliest, but even then it has to compete with a hypothetical though highly likely 3rd Wonder Woman film, 2nd Shazam film, and Gotham City Sirens (Harley trilogy). Not to mention WB might move forward with Blue Beetle, Supergirl and Batgirl films, so that's even more competition. Of course WB could hypothetically release four DC films atleast once in the near future.

Then I would go with:

Hal Jordan- James Marsden
John Stewart- Trevante Rhodes
Guy Gardner- John Cena
Kyle Rayner- Tyler Posey
Jessica Cruz- Gina Rodriguez

Marsden is too busy searching the galaxy for nacho fries

Or how about Nathan Fillion if you want to still have an older Hal

Great idea; I don't think anyone has ever suggested him before

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts