The Official Green Lantern Rumors/Speculation Thread - Part 1

Nathan Fillion wouldn't be a bad choice

I honestly don't see where this film fits in the schedule. Looking like it could be atleast another 5 years before we get another GL film.

2019: Shazam; The Joker
2020: Birds of Prey; Wonder Woman 1984
2021: The Flash (?); Batman; Suicide Squad 2
2022: Black Adam; New Gods; Aquaman 2

Looking like 2023 the earliest, but even then it has to compete with a hypothetical though highly likely 3rd Wonder Woman film, 2nd Shazam film, and Gotham City Sirens (Harley trilogy). Not to mention WB might move forward with Blue Beetle, Supergirl and Batgirl films, so that's even more competition. Of course WB could hypothetically release four DC films atleast once in the near future.

Those bolded ones aren't happening IMO.

This is what I think is likely...

2021: Black Adam; Batman; Suicide Squad 2; Shazam 2
2022: Green Lantern Corps; Aquaman 2; Blue Beetle
2023: Shazam v Black Adam; Wonder Woman 3; 3rd Harley Quinn Film;
2024: Batman 2

Those bolded ones aren't happening IMO.

This is what I think is likely...

2021: Black Adam; Batman; Suicide Squad 2; Shazam 2
2022: Green Lantern Corps; Aquaman 2; Blue Beetle
2023: Shazam v Black Adam; Wonder Woman 3; 3rd Harley Quinn Film;
2024: Batman 2
Blue Bettle seems random addition.
I also think Shazam 2 is going to be Shazam vs Black Adam

Blue Bettle seems random addition.
I also think Shazam 2 is going to be Shazam vs Black Adam

It's currently being written and I think it has three things going for it that say 'Plastic Man' does not.

1. It's diverse and its beating Marvel to a punch;
2. It's Iron Man-like; and
3. It can be cheap, like Shazam and WB will have a taste for that now.

Nathan Fillion wouldn't be a bad choice
Honestly if they're going with a 50 year old actor for Hal, Fillion should get the role. He should've gotten the role in the first place when they made the 2011 Green Lantern movie.

i like Nathan Fillion, but fanboys overrate him waaaaaay too much. And I think we need to let it go
He couldn't be GL in 2011 because of Castle. And even if he was GL it would've been a bad movie still.

Reynolds was a fine choice for Hal, I think his talents are better suited elsewhere, but he could've been a good Hal. But the movie sucked no matter who you put in the role

All we need is Hal as a seasoned vet with Stewart as a rookie and Cruz as the one who kinda gets roped into reluctantly.

i like Nathan Fillion, but fanboys overrate him waaaaaay too much. And I think we need to let it go
He couldn't be GL in 2011 because of Castle. And even if he was GL it would've been a bad movie still.

Reynolds was a fine choice for Hal, I think his talents are better suited elsewhere, but he could've been a good Hal. But the movie sucked no matter who you put in the role
Honestly Reynolds was the perfect Hal on paper, but I thought he wasn't that good in the role. I realize the script was bad, but I have this sneaking suspicion (that inconveniently can never be proven) that someone else could've done a better job even with that awful script.

Reynolds as Deadpool is absolute perfection though.

Y'know, I really don't like this idea of John being a rookie and Hal being a seasoned vet. I get that it's a trope of police dramas, and they're going the space cop angle, but what about just two seasoned officers? John Stewart was at his most interesting in JL: TAS, there's no doubt about that, and there he was a stoic, seasoned veteran. I want to see THAT John. Hal can be a veteran too, just more brash and cocky. This personality difference can lead to enough conflict without having to introduce the veteran/rookie angle.

While yes, on paper Reynolds sounds perfect for a cocky flyboy character, Hal also needs some gravitas, and Reynolds has none. He's perfect for Deadpool, though.

Reynolds is a good actor he could definetly bring gravitas with the write script.
He's a good choice for Hal if the script is right. He's better suited for Wally West or Deadpool. But it's not like Hal is this super deep and complex role that you need a top tier greatest of all time actor. Reynolds can be dramatic and he can be funny. He works as Hal

But it's all moot

I mean, I didn't even particularly like him in Buried, so respectfully disagree there, lol.

Hal should be someone who can be commanding when needs be, imo. I've never gotten that kind of presence from Reynolds at all in anything I've seen him in. It's like, the side of Chris Evans some of us saw when we saw him in Sunshine and thought "ok, he can make a good Cap." That's what I haven't seen from Reynolds.

Yeah Ryan Reynolds would have been absolutely perfect for Wally West. I wonder how different things would be now if Joss Whedon got to make his Wonder Woman movie and Goyer/Reynolds made their Flash movie.

Imagine if Nolan would've been more receptive to a shared universe...

Our Justice League would've been

Superman - Brandon Routh
Batman - Christian Bale
Wonder Woman - Cobie Smulders
The Flash - Ryan Reynolds

I don't know who else would've been on the team, but that's a damn good cast

All we need is Hal as a seasoned vet with Stewart as a rookie and Cruz as the one who kinda gets roped into reluctantly.

Sounds good and a lot to work with there. Cruz having a major role could be interesting. There is so much they could do I wonder why they aren't on this already. Where is this space cop space drama?

I would rather it be Hal as the seasoned vet and John Stewart is the one who gets roped in reluctantly

It's currently being written and I think it has three things going for it that say 'Plastic Man' does not.

1. It's diverse and its beating Marvel to a punch;
2. It's Iron Man-like; and
3. It can be cheap, like Shazam and WB will have a taste for that now.

Plus it can connect somewhat to GLC and help build up DC's comsic side quite a bit. I mean who doesnt want to see The Reach vs The Green Lantern Corps in an epic battle!

Sounds good and a lot to work with there. Cruz having a major role could be interesting. There is so much they could do I wonder why they aren't on this already. Where is this space cop space drama?

We saw a simplified version of her origin play out in Justice League vs The Fatal Five. It was very effective, and she came off as very unique among the more natural heroes. She would most certainly resonate with audiences.

I'm sure most of you know this by now, but this film isn't going to come to fruition by 2020. There are no major players in place right now, and from what I'm reading, WB is still deciding what type of story that they want to tell. If I had to guess, I'd say a 2022 release is a more likely scenario. Sorry, GLC fans. :(

With this film I wonder if any Justice Leaguers should show up in a cameo appearance? Or show up in a post credits scene?

I'm sure most of you know this by now, but this film isn't going to come to fruition by 2020. There are no major players in place right now, and from what I'm reading, WB is still deciding what type of story that they want to tell. If I had to guess, I'd say a 2022 release is a more likely scenario. Sorry, GLC fans. :(

I am not expecting this any time soon. It's a big undertaking and it seems like there are other DC movies that are just gearing up like The Batman and Flash or others still going like WW, Aquaman, SS etc. This just seems like another phase type of movie, when WB/DC want to go big sci-fi. It would be nice if this gets going along with a new Superman, so we get more sci-fi/space movies in the 2020s.

I would love to see more movement on this film

I would rather it be Hal as the seasoned vet and John Stewart is the one who gets roped in reluctantly

It could be cool to see Jessica and John both be newbies and Hal showing the ropes, and them helping Hal in some way.

This GLC film could be similar to Captain Marvel in that regard

This GLC film could be similar to Captain Marvel in that regard
I haven't seen it but I'll take your word for it. :cwink:

If it is an older Hal, I wonder then what stage would the battle be with Sinestro at that point. Is Hal disillusioned with the Corps, or are they with him? Is he having a hard time?

The thing with an older Hal is how long does the story play out, especially if they got an actor like Tom Cruise. Where that puts Hal in terms of not just a trilogy but a shared universe or Justice League. Tom Cruise might not play that.

But they could make either scenario work (younger or older Hal.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"